Set background color for viewing image files
Tired of the default background color ruining the contrast every time you view an image link? This is the extension for you! A color of your choice becomes the default background for direct image viewing. Also includes an option to center images horizontally. While some extensions may provide a fancy image viewing experience that can achieve similar results, this one is a fast, lightweight, no-nonsense solution that serves one purpose: fix that empty space around the image! Ahhh, let your eyes bask in relief. Remember, this extension only activates when viewing images directly, such as when you right-click and choose "Open image in new tab". It will not affect any other view.
- (2019-05-30) George L Hernandez: Worked for .PNG. I set this extension to "gray", then tweak as needed. FYI: The "hack" for Google Photos: 1. Open image in Google Photos. 2. Right-click & "Open image in new tab".
- (2018-10-31) Louis Kirsch: Does not work with data:image/png;base64 images! Would be great if this was fixed. Thanks!
- (2018-04-13) Oleg Muraviov: It would be great to be able to set background image. The easiest way is to allow to input any css-valid values for background property into "color" field in the settings (For example url(...)) Solid background is not always good as image may have the same background and you would not see image borders. Chessboard background would be good. Anyway, thanks)
- (2018-01-05) Justin McCandless: Works fine, but missing support for various filetypes (svg in my case).
- (2017-11-27) maria de la luz gonzalez dorantes: no me aparecen las imagenes para poder poner el fondo
- (2017-09-06) Doesn't work with .svg? :(
- (2017-06-18) Chet Walters: Doesn't work. Chrome still black and centered. Dunno why the idiots at Google don't have this as a "feature" of Chrome.
- (2017-05-11) Smriti Prabhat: Not working - wanted to revert the background colour to white since chrome has changed that but it won't work for me :(
- (2017-02-04) Daniel Larsen: Since google now centers images, which i strongly dislike, could you make an option to align images to the top left again?
- (2017-02-03) Jhenny Rubiano Ruiz: s
- (2016-08-30) Marcin Kula: Just what I needed! Thx!! :)
- (2016-06-09) Ace Strife: Centering option really needs to center it entirely on the screen, not just horizontally. Hopefully this can be added.. if the addon hasn't been abandoned.
- (2016-02-24) Kamil Duda: Just please add support for gifv :-)
- (2016-02-12) Steve B: Tried other extensions that frustratingly stuffed up the zooming in and out on large images. This is just what I want. Simple, dark/custom background colour and centred. Well done.
- (2016-01-12) João Paulo Reis: works fine!!!
- (2015-07-01) Great extension, thanks! You could add the following, to make the image centered vertically too: imgel.style.position = 'relative'; imgel.style.top = '50%'; imgel.style.transform = 'translateY(-50%)';
- (2015-04-24) karyme sepùlveda: es de muy buena calidad
- (2015-01-15) Adam King: To centre the image and make the background darker without changing the zoom functions is all I need yet no extension can seem to do it. This one came the closest. Now all we need is vertical centring and it will be the same/better than firefox's image viewer. Thank you for this great tool.
- (2015-01-01) meu nome: Really nice and simple, good Settings page and options (you can change it to any color you like), recommend it!
- (2014-12-09) Mathew Tyler Jordan: All I wanted was to make the background of image links dark. Perfect. Simple, no frills, just what I wanted.
- (2014-07-17) Moo Scree: Very, very nice! While there are a few extensions that do more with centering, I love the fact you can keep that feature off with this one for that little extra speed, and just have the background color set which is exactly what I was looking for. Well done!