Fixes the YouTube™ algorithm to remove mainstream media results from searches.
A browser extension to remove Mainstream Media results from YouTube™ searches. Click to open the De-Mainstream popup next to your browser url then select what channels you want to hide. Navigate to YouTube.com, type in a search and the channels that you have selected to hide will not display in your search results. You can now right click on a YouTube™ in a search page and select "Block" or "Unblock" to add your own custom channels to the block list. For more information: https://demainstream.com
- (2020-11-18) Mitchur Yagami: I refuse to consume propaganda. This blocks out a large majority of the propaganda youtube attempts to push on you to normalize their view points. Thanks demainstream! just need to work on stopping them from appearing in 'up next' videos. I'll give 5 star anyways.
- (2020-11-10) Carter Mecham: Excellent extension
- (2020-11-10) Dayz: Truly the savior of YT, an ext that battle against the faceless billionaire cooperations. 🤩
- (2020-11-02) TheRabbitFear: Needs to filter out official government channels, university channels and the UN and WHO but otherwise works great
- (2020-11-01) Igal Neshto: WOW. Just WOW! How have I not heard about this before?! This is a life changer!!! Thanks for uncluttering my youtube!
- (2020-10-22) Dinmeraz78: I like to test chrome extensions. It mostly worked 3-4 stars on that, but it's kind of harmful to provide an echo chamber app to the public. It's always healthy to see people who disagree with you so you can verify that your beliefs are true. No matter what they are. I imagine cults will start making these too, if they haven't already.
- (2020-10-20) Michael Sebastian: Such an amazing extension. Brings YouTube back to what it once was. Content from independent creators and not curated garbage from corporate board rooms.
- (2020-08-27) J Barron: Such a fantastic idea. So wonderful to actually see independent content on the sidebar for once. Only gave four stars because unfortunately James Cordon is still there.
- (2020-08-19) SmuggestRat: It worked for a while despite how long it had been since an update, but recently MSM stuff has been able to make it through my search results and my front page. Both passively in the form of recommendations in both my front page and sidebar, and actively when I directly look for channels that SHOULD be blocked via the search results bar. This will need to be rectified before I am able to recommend this extension to other people. As of writing this, the last update on this was in March; it is now mid-August, and the extension is nonfunctional at the moment. Edit: Immediately after posting this review, I tried installing a couple more privacy extensions, and I noticed that my frontpage had gone back to how it was when Demainstream worked. Tried searching up a few of the Mainstream channels that should be blocked, and sure enough they were. I still don't know what happened to make it work again.
- (2020-07-14) Ramon E Alvarez: This works as advertised!! AWSOME! Now we need an extension just like this but for "web search engines"! Awsome work!
- (2020-07-09) Joel Richard: Youtube search is useless without this add-on.
- (2020-07-06) Daverm: Doesn't work.
- (2020-06-30) Tecchi: Simple, effective and a quick fix for your youtube search. Works well with Brave browser.
- (2020-04-01) Phantom Kelliniskii: Exactly what the world needs. Hacks just looking for cash, *you*tube is not where this crud belongs. Google/Alphabet love money over their users. Also, helps many here who just want to breathe. Thank you so much OP!
- (2020-03-30) Giovanni: Great extension! Can you also develop a feature that does that for Google searches? It would be awesome!
- (2020-03-30) Right Brainer: Pretty cool!
- (2020-03-29) Seth Martin: Oh, the irony as I write this review on Google. So far, so good. It's a simple, clean and easy plugin for YouTube that comes default with many mainstream media outlets already blocked for you. You can customize the list and unblock channels, but for me personally I had no need as I wanted all MSM blocked. There is also an option to add your own channels you want to block as well. No more MSM forcing itself into your Suggested Videos or every "Up Next" video. Seems like I will be able to turn Autoplay back on as well.
- (2020-03-25) Tommy Bergeron: Author simply vanished and stopped updating after a very buggy update. He doesn't reply and hasn't pushed any code update in the past month+ Stop saying it works great, IT DOES NOT WORK AT ALL. Custom channels are not working at all which is the main appeal of this extension.
- (2020-03-25) Roman Pogosovs: works great - well hidden treasure!
- (2020-03-17) Evan LaPensee: It "works" for the most part, however the "block" feature absolutely does not function or even exist as a function to use. The in-app option, when selected, simply shows a tutorial gif of a right click drop menu option that doesn't exist. So other than that blatantly advertised lie, yeah it "works".
- (2020-03-13) Jordan Cunningham: No longer works and dev has been afk from twitter and github since Feb 16 2020. The update doesn't even work. Last heard from on Twitter was Feb 26. https://github.com/miscavage/De-Mainstream-YouTube-Extension/commit/e845b99fe4bbfdf9278a617834fa54b61ed8e37f Will change rating once it works again.
- (2020-03-13) Very Nice Person: Can't add new websites. The option does not appear in the pull-down menu.
- (2020-03-12) Hemliga Hemlig: Love the Idea off this and it is well needed but cant add channels to the blocklist. Using chrome and cant see the addon when i right click only se adblock addon
- (2020-03-11) Joel M: Absolutely perfect. The mainstream networks populating the list of every-fn-search has been insufferable. CLEAR THEM OUT
- (2020-03-07) Stefan B: only ok for the browser BRAVE (chrome) I cannot get the "add new" channel to work
- (2020-11-13, v:1.0.5) Tasty Loaf: Doesn't work for me
I'm using Brave but this just does nothing. I tried fiddling with it a bit -- added channels, tried unselecting and reselceting, but, as it is for me, it does nothing at all. Doesn't cause glitches -- just might as well not be there at all. Sorry, very disappointing for me.
- (2020-06-19, v:1.0.5) DECLAN LEVER: Add channel function
The right click to block a channel function in youtube search doesn't work.
- (2020-04-04, v:1.0.5) Spare Audi: High CPU and unresponsive page.
It probably does what it says but unfortunately on my Mac running the latest version of Brave (updated twice whilst troubleshooting), Demainstream paralyses YouTube completely. CPU goes mental sucking everything from other apps, the page stops scrolling, video controls stop working as well as mouseovers - in fact the whole page is dead. Sometimes, Brave gives a pop-up saying that the page is unresponsive but most of the time, I just have to close the page to stop my Mac from blowing up. I've been through all my extensions and disabled each until I found what was causing the problem and then toggled this one on and off, it is definitely the culprit. The only way I can use YouTube is to disable it.
- (2020-03-30, v:1.0.5) Giovanni: New feature suggestion (Block Google Search results)
Great extension! Can you also develop a feature that does that for Google searches? It would be awesome!
- (2020-03-30, v:1.0.5) Who Knows: Doesn't work
Maybe my chrome is too outdated for this :(
- (2020-03-26, v:1.0.4) Bert Verboven: block list not working
Can't add channels to the block list anymore as of the new chrome update. Please keep it up I love your work
- (2020-03-19, v:1.0.4) Jonathan Tatone: Opera Support
Could you add support for the Opera browser? I believe it's chromium based. Thank you for your efforts to help independent creators.
- (2020-02-28, v:1.0.4) D James: Channels not blocked
Installed the extension. On the Youtube homepage under recommended videos the following videos are still suggested: BBC, Good Morning Britain, Fox News, Sky News. Also when I right-click a video there's no block option that the extension was supposed to add. Under Top news on the homepage the mainstream channels still appear such as The Telegraph, ITV News, Sky News. Would be better if channels to block was just a text list in a tab as it makes it quicker to read them all as you don't have to scroll down as much. Then have a separate tab for exclusions for channels you don't want blocked. Could you please add an option to backup a block list to a file so it can be restored if we install a new PC. Option to block the following types of videos would be good as well: Animal videos such as Cats and Dogs Music Videos Prank Videos
- (2020-02-26, v:1.0.4) Vacak Gagyi: Could it be expanded to automatic play?
This expansion is nice , but when I listen to some youtube channels and the next video plays automatically sometimes it switches to one of these mainstream media channels and ofc it will keep there and play that channel vids nonstop :( The mainstream media channel video doesnt show up on the play next vids list. Please try to add a feature which removes the block sites from infesting my automatic play :P
- (2020-02-20, v:1.0.4) S F: Can't add channels
Right-clicking channels doesn't give me the block option, and "Options" when I right click on the icon in the toolbar is grayed out. I am on Chrome.
- (2020-02-19, v:1.0.4) mad cow: right-clicking channel name on chrome
not seeing the de-mainstream > block channel option when right-clicking channel name on chrome.
- (2020-02-12, v:1.0.3) Janusz Barbacki: Need option to add channels to list
Before installing extension - First recommend on video about this extension: "Fox news" After installing it : "FOX 10 Phoenix" *facepalm*