a website blocker that asks users to reflect on their usage.
reflect is a digitally mindful chrome extension that encourages users to reflect on their relationship with technology rather than block users outright. When you attempt to visit distracting websites, reflect will ask you what your intention in doing so is. If you have a valid reason, you are given a set amount of time to get your work done on the website. If not, you are encouraged to be more specific in your answer or to reflect further. For example, if you're trying to access YouTube to watch an educational video, you can enter the website; however, if you just want to watch cat videos, reflect will prevent you from doing so. You can customize the list of blocked websites and the duration that the websites will be blocked. We don't show ads or collect/store data. We're also an open-source project! You can find our source code here: https://github.com/getreflect/reflect-chrome.
- (2021-09-26) K. Patrick: Hmm, only certain words will let you into the site that you have blacklisted. For example, if you type "I want to look at my messages" or "i'm trying to catch up with my friends" or "im trying to talk to my loved ones", it won't let you in but if you type in "i plan to be mindful", it will. Other keywords like "peaceful, breathe, serene, meditate" etc might help as well. Wonder what other words will let you in. A unique concept that does make me feel annoyed I cannot access my websites easily even though i really do want to talk to my friends or loved ones.
- (2021-08-28) Anass Boufrioua: honestly the best extension i have ever, it's very useful :D
- (2021-08-15) SNANA51832: 只能说牛逼好吧，比blocksite好用多了，还更好看
- (2021-08-03) Lucas Chu: amazing!
- (2021-04-28) RSL99: Va de maravilla, cumple a la perfección su cometido y no es de pago
- (2021-01-13) Katherine Norris: Ok so I just downloaded it but I actually really love it. Its simple, straightforward, easy to use, like it took maybe 2 minutes to set up and I'm already ready to go (I downloaded it because I got addicted to manga and now I have like 27 assignments due that I cant concentrate on haha) Effective and interactive
- (2020-12-15) Saidee Danielle: This app is so underrated and definitely needs more downloads. It helps me stay focused on schoolwork and is super easy to use
- (2020-09-18) Anne G: reflect does everything you need without it being too confusing to pick up on your first go! It's simple and easy-to-understand UI makes it the perfect addition for anyone who wants to take that one extra second to mind themselves to be intentional about what they're doing!
- (2020-08-26) Stace T: I love the minimal and simple design of this extension. It's easy to use and really helps you focus on tasks that need your attention. I would suggest having an inspirational quote when I use a site I wanted to block because it gives you that instant boost to keep going. Overall, reflect is a great extension to use for focus! Well-done making it!
- (2020-08-19) Ally Ho: very user friendly
- (2020-08-16) Cheryl Zhang: I love this extension. It's perfect for what I've been looking for-being more intentional with what I spend my time on but not completely restricting. I also love the design of it, it's really simple but looks amazingly smooth and modern.
- (2020-08-09) Cherrilynn Lele Zhang: Despite there being a lot of similar extensions, reflect's detailing puts it on top of all of the other extensions I've used. The design is clean, simple, and smooth, without being harsh. The excuse bar actually considers what you enter instead of just storing it, which is really cool. I've never confronted any issues while using it. A lot of extensions work well and do their job, but I feel like this one goes above and beyond. reflect simplifies productivity and mindfulness in a world where accessibility is prioritized in clutter and distraction.
- (2020-07-01) Anson Yu: Great extension!
- (2020-07-24, v:1.2.0) Max O'Neill: Suggestions
I have never done this before, for any software, app, game, or extension. However, I love the idea of this extension, and I love using it. I wanted to share some suggestions that would improve usage: 1. Allow me to adjust make a custom whitelist time for different websites. For example, I have Netflix and Facebook blocked. When I have an accepted reflection for Netflix, I want to be able to have a whitelist time of 60 minutes for one episode of my favorite documentary series. However, on Facebook, I do not want it to be more than 5 minutes; just enough time for me to reply to a messenger query for my business but not enough to get distracted and scroll. 2. I wish the accepted prompts made more sense. There are many times I use key words I do not mean, because I know they are accepted, although I know my true purpose is just as important and needed.
- (2020-07-19, v:1.2.0) Max Sawyer: More Developed Acceptable Answers
I wish I could put in what is an acceptable answer to the prompt. For example, I blocked Amazon, but I needed a buy a medication. I wish I could put a word such as "necessary" to help trigger the recognition. This app, by the way, is an amazing idea.