Highlight text on page to copy to Roam
This Highlighter extension is meant for use with Roam Research note taking application to help "clip" web pages by highlighting all the areas you want to save in Roam and then easily copying/pasting into Roam in a Roam friendly format. You also are able to Double Bracket words / phrases with the extension so that they create Page/Link references when pasted into Roam. For full instructions, How To's, and Demos please visit: https://github.com/GitMurf/roam-highlighter#roam-highlighter BASIC INSTRUCTIONS: [ALT + X] - Activate Extension and Show/Hide Side Window [Ctrl + X] - Highlights selected text - To remove part of a highlight, select text and press [Ctrl + X] [Alt + Click] - Removes an entire highlight [ALT + Q] - Remove all highlights on the page [ALT + A] - Makes selected highlighted a "header"; highlights following will nest until another highlight is selected as a "header" [Double-Click] a Single Word (has to be highlighted already) - Adds [[Double Brackets]] for Roam "Page Linking" [ALT + Z] (must already be highlighted) - Adds [[Double Brackets]] around selection for Roam "Page Linking" If you have any Issues, Questions or Feedback for improving the Instructions or the Extension, please open a GitHub Issue and post your thoughts: https://github.com/GitMurf/roam-highlighter/issues/new Thanks and enjoy!
- (2022-11-16) Nökkvi Helgason: They Nail it. Just simple. Command/CTRL + X for highlights. Nothing in the way.
- (2021-10-27) Jess: los códigos revuelven :D
- (2021-08-20) Minh Vu: I am glad that I have found this extension. Tick all of the boxes for me. Just want to ask when will you bring this extension to Microsoft Edge?
- (2021-08-18) WORTHLESS MUTTS: It works but the highlight doesn't stick if i close tab and repoen it. What's the point of a highlighter if it "rubs" off?
- (2021-06-03) Jean Bekker: Finally some extension that let me highlight without having to click twice.
- (2021-04-01) Yesh Yendamuri: I use this all the time. It has been the missing piece of the puzzle that I was looking for to help with web consumption.
- (2021-03-18) jahanzeb nawaz: Cannot use it for Uworld . the website comes with its own highlighter i think that is somehow creating problem with its function . Please fix it if you can 100 thousands of students use Uworld .
- (2020-11-15) Tijl C: Really like it but for some reason neither ALT-X to activate the extension or ALT-Q to remove all highlights works :(. (might be a conflicting other extension...) Will probably just change those hotkeys to something else, but just wondering if you've heard of anyone else having this problem and or any suggestion. But anyway, thank you for your AMAZING extension ! :). Keep up the good work.
- (2020-11-07) Larissa d: AMAZING - wish I had discovered it months ago. Has really expedited my workflow around taking notes in longform articles and research papers. I love seeing the highlight in context, and also love the feature were you can customize how line breaks are handled (something minor, but super helpful to allow formatting just the way I want it)
- (2020-09-07) Shaun Lohoar: I liked it but not loved it
- (2020-07-21) Marcus Glynn: The best of the Roam Highlighters for capturing information from web pages/articles.
- (2020-07-08) A M: This is a fantastic complement to Roam. It's well-designed and once you memorize the few shortcuts, it allows a fast workflow to capture notes from web reading. If there's a way, I'll gladly donate to the developer as a token of appreciation.
- (2020-07-08) Onu Ocholi: Does exactly what it says on the tin, and does it very well - Shawn v. responsive.
- (2020-07-03) Michael Thompson: I use this extension with Obsidian and it is awesome for highlighting web pages and turning the highlights in to a markdown note that can simply be pasted into a Obsidian vault note. But -- the most awesome features was the formatting and capture of highlights and notes from the hundreds of Kindle books that I have. For the first time, I know have those available to me in a non-proprietary form for searching, referencing, adding to, and linking to other notes/research in a great tool such as Obsidian! Thanks very much! --M
- (2020-07-03) Kevin Murray: This is a very valuable part of the Roam kit. But if no text is highlighted, the extension does not take me to the Roam page when I click "Save bookmark". I'm looking for something with the same ease as Dynalist Companion Clipper. Any chance of further development?
- (2020-06-29) Ron Lusk: I use this every day, nearly all the time, and not just for Roam. Sometimes I'll use it to quickly grab a piece of documentation to share with coworkers on Slack, but yes, most frequently on Roam. I have a wide range of reading: the current COVID-19 crisis and its effects on reopening churches; racial justice issues, and articles of all sorts from several perspectives on those issues. Then there is the technical documentation for work that I grab a few lines for reference, and, and, and. So since the extension tags references it has extracted (can be changed, but I leave it enabled), I can see that I have 225 tagged excerpts that I've made with the Roam-Highlighter. I can't imagine working, studying, and learning without it (or a close cousin, should one come along) anymore. Combine the Roam-Highlighter with the concept of "layered notes"—first the original text, then bolded major points, then highlights, then your own summaries—you can lay the foundation for that process with the Roam-Highlighter, and by careful use of the Alt-A "heading" feature you can even grab some major points with evidence or subpoints tucked away underneath. Good reading to you!
- (2020-06-29) Jo: Amazin extension! I use it ith Obisidian and it works wonderfully. Would be great if the highight colour was a little dimmer. Also waiting to be able to turn off links feature as i use the plugin heavily on wikipedia pages that I read.
- (2020-06-29) John Pemberton-Bates: Great time saver for Roam Research users, also very functional.
- (2021-10-24, v:2.1.1) Gianna Singh: jk
i am not able to understad how to highlitght it
- (2020-11-15, v:2.1.1) Tijl C: share article with highlights you made on top
Just discovered https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/link-to-text-fragment/pbcodcjpfjdpcineamnnmbkkmkdpajjg which allows you to make one highlight and share a link to the article that shows the highlight. I understand that this would require storage somewhere online so I guess some integration with drive/dropbox would be needed and I imagine extremely complicated but would be truly truly amazing. Anyway, extremely happy with the extension and thanks a million for your hard work