Browse in English, learn Spanish, French & Italian vocabulary. Second language learning for beginners. Word practice & translation.
Language learning shouldn’t feel like homework. Fluent uses the web to teach you Spanish, French, Italian, English, German, or Portuguese words, so you NEVER miss a day of language practice - even when you’re at your busiest - or laziest! 1. Learn words in a second language on any website you visit. 2. Grow your vocabulary by 1000s of words a year. 3. Speak effortlessly, and never struggle to find the right words again. How Fluent works: - Browse the web and discover new words in any English text - Hover over them to memorize their translations - Solve quizzes for each word to make recall effortless - Level-up, and unlock tougher & more interesting words - Watch your vocabulary grow by 1000s of words! - *Actually* learn & retain a foreign language Features: - Learn while browsing - Works on any website with English text - Made for beginner & intermediate learners - 1000s of useful & common words in Spanish, French & Italian - Pronunciations and definitions for every word - Daily challenges & streaks - Dozens of word categories to unlock - Several types of vocabulary quiz - Spaced repetition system to maximize retention - Refresh your memory with review sessions - Snooze Fluent whenever it gets in the way New: - Spanish to English! Spanish speakers can now browse Spanish websites and learn English words. Download now and get started with the best way to learn a new language! Study while you browse, and turn the entire internet into a vocabulary expander. Throw your flashcards & dictionary away, and let our passive learning turn daily word practice into a breeze.
- (2023-08-02) Fop: works pretty good on my desktop, i use it with duolingo
- (2023-08-02) G: been using the app for a year, and its gotten better since
- (2023-08-02) True Essence Photography: the speaking tests are super helpful!!!!
- (2023-08-02) Harrison D: Big help for learning Spanish. First extension i've used that teaches me pronunciation too. It's been a big confidence boost, and i've started saying Spanish words out loud even when i'm not using it LOL. It's especially nice when I forget to practice because it's always just there. Thanks for building this!
- (2023-05-15) Aayush Kapoor: There's no way to cancel the subscription! I cannot sign in because neither their forget password system works nor their magic link emails ever arrive. On top of that, there's no phone number or email to contact them.
- (2023-02-02) Jimmy D: Before I installed and gave them my credit card, it worked somewhat fine (meaning I could atleast click on the icon and open the menu). Now that I have logged in and got it setup and gave my credit card it cannot or will not open and turn on. This is seeming like a scam or very poorly designed. Either way, glad I used a privacy card that I can pause and turn off billing so they cannot bill me until I can use the product.
- (2022-12-25) Jarda: Používám už téměř rok, občas sice lehce překáží, ale jinak funguje výborně a dle očekávání. Naučilo mě už dost slov které např. Duolingo vynechává.
- (2022-06-29) Heather Cardona: It's a cool idea for increasing your vocabulary, but as someone who used to be more fluent in French, I've noticed a lot of translations that I would never have used. It also misses a huge part of what it takes to be fluent in a language, which is the syntax and grammar. The words seem clunky when put into English sentences in the wrong order. It's fine to pick up a couple words, though of course this won't make you learn the language, and definitely double check the translations with your dictionary. I don't think I would pay for a subscription however.
- (2022-06-28) Rhonda Fairman: One of the best extensions that I have used. The design and accessibility of this plugin has been amazing. I use it every day and recommend it to anyone learning spanish. I am glad to see that French will be offered as well.
- (2022-06-15) DA O: The only reason I'm not giving this extension 5 stars it because it: 1. Is limited to only three languages which is understandable but doesn't help set apart this app from competitors. 2. The word pop-ups intermittently lag when scrolling over them so sometimes it'll appear and sometimes you'll need to click on it. 3. The pop-ups don't always show on the page if the word is near the top of the page, I would need to scroll for the word to be in the middle of the screen, but this might be something I need to fix on my end. Other than that, it's a great app; after three days of use I'm confidently able to learn and remember words and the interface looks great.
- (2022-05-13) Pamela: perfect!
- (2022-04-24) Mrithul Venkatesh: Helped me with a lot of unfamiliar words.
- (2022-04-24) Nnbveh Masala: It's pretty good but i'm missing two major(in my opinion) features: 1. It doesn't let me select a word to translate and add to the list, and i have no control over which words are chosen at all(at least i couldn't find a way), another similar extension actually lets you to choose to focus on 300/5000/etc most common word of the language you're learning. 2. It works only with the texts in the source language, like if i learn French i can use it to translate english words from the text i'm reading, but if i want to read a french text it's useless and i need another extension. So basically yeah, if i could choose any word in either target or source language, plus if i had some control over the scope of study it would be great, so far it's not, but useful of course. Thanks!
- (2022-04-15) Georgiy Sekretaryuk: The best extension for learning a new language. Helped me refresh a lot of my Spanish knowledge. Makes it so smooth and simple (& integrates fluently into my workflow).
- (2022-02-18) Early Wisdom: please allow to adjust word translations i want more words
- (2022-01-28) Isaac0951: The extension is incredible for learning a new language and is easy to use. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn a new language.
- (2022-01-27) Jonas: This is so much fun! Also the app works so smoothly it makes an even greater experience.
- (2022-01-19) tobey elliott: It's great!
- (2022-01-11) spac bar: wow! this is actually an awesome extension, i've been using and it is so helpful!!
- (2022-01-03) Ho Wai Kei: Amazing Extension The whole things is totally free and you can learn spanish step by step with ease. 5 stars
- (2021-12-21) Kyle SFHandyman: I love that this pops up when I am reading something that interests me and it supplies words that I will actually need in the future. I never have to read anything that doesn't apply to my life. I don't have to learn "Business" language or "Restaurant" or "Hotel' vocabulary as I don't do any of those things in my retired life. I'm really looking forward to the indexes of YouTube and Netflix that will tell me which shows are at my Comprehensible Input level. I've had a really hard time finding appropriate shows.
- (2021-12-14) Jamile Lucato: muito bom para aprender (uso para Francês)
- (2021-12-05) Lora Sharara: I just started with it, however I think it is such an innovative way of learning all types on words, common or uncommon. And all the features, like being able to turn it off and choosing the amount of words on a page, it feels like they actually want to help and not just take money! I would definitely recommend this!
- (2021-12-05) jallo lol: its amazing and it really helps for the people that want to learn languages
- (2021-12-02) lucia: i love this extension i just wish it had more languages available to learn. and the extension only really teaches you how to read a language not speak it. but otherwise GREAT
- (2021-11-24) Savana Ludiya: thanks a lot
- (2021-11-20) David: Worked perfectly for about ten minutes, then stopped offering any words for translation. Now they have my email address and personal data. :-(
- (2021-11-15) Taylor Liddle: Fluent is my favorite Chrome Extension ever--I studied Spanish for many years in school, but of course, there are so many words that aren't included in outdated textbooks that I want/need to use in my daily life! Fluent takes the words that I already see daily (at work, in class, or even while browsing the internet for fun) and challenges me in fun and different ways each time I encounter them. I remember the feeling the first time I saw the confetti pop up on my screen after successfully learning a new word! I am excited to see Fluent grow and get even better over time, so far, it's been my favorite technology that I've used in my language learning journey. 🤩
- (2021-11-15) Niki Torres: Love this extension! I'm learning words as I surf the web. It's brilliant and is a great way to squeeze in learning. I have been trying it out for 3 weeks now and have decided to sign-up for the PRO account. I really want Fluent to succeed and have put in my support. Thank you so much for creating this, Fluent team! 💙
- (2021-11-07) Andrey Grabelnikov: Very promising start, I love the idea of the passive language education. Wonder if they can get into subtitles somehow?
- (2021-11-02) Matthew Patterson: I'm so excited that I'm finally going to learn Spanish. I love how this is immersive rather than rely on me to be proactive and set aside time to learn. Bout to book a trip to Spain.
- (2021-11-02) Cam Doody: This is a GAME. CHANGER.
- (2021-10-26) Jalupa: I've been using Fluent to practice Italian vocab for a few weeks now. I was really excited to try it out because I had heard great things about the extension and the ratings are absolutely stellar. Unfortunately, I ended up being utterly disappointed. First of all, a lot (and I mean really a lot) of the translations are simply wrong. I'd estimate about 20% are plain incorrect. For example Fluent keeps trying to tell me that "anni" means "days" instead of "years". Reporting these things as errors doesn't seem to help. In addition to that, Fluent seems to get the context of the words wrong more often than not. One example: The word "tears" in the sentence "He tears it off" is translated as "lacrime", which means "tears" as in the liquid stuff that comes out of your eyes when you're crying. I have to double-check every new word I come across to make sure I'm memorizing the right one for the context, which kind of defeats the purpose of effortless studying that is basically Fluent's whole deal. And now, in a decision I can't comprehend in any way, the makers of Fluent have also decided, for some reason, to no longer display in the tooltip whether a noun is masculine or feminine. Why on earth would they remove this useful feature? It was there when I first started using the extension. I'm aware that Italian is still in the beta phase, so some (or maybe even most) of my issues might get resolved or at least mitigated with time. The general concept is great, and I'd love to keep using the tool, but in its current condition it is basically unusable for me. Unless the other language options work significantly better than Italian, I honestly don't understand the positive ratings.
- (2021-10-26) Derrick Ard: This is one of the best ways to learn a language because you are actually using and hearing the words your learning daily as you use your computer, phone or tablet. I wish I would have know about this sooner.
- (2021-10-08) Beto Rezende: GREAT TOOL ! WORK VERY WELL (add japanese, pls)
- (2021-10-03) Islam Jamal: This is what I want exactly. Thanks!
- (2021-09-20) Bradley A. Esparza: Trying this out. It's really cool have the learning while using what I'm already interested in. We'll see how it progresses before I can give a real judgment.
- (2021-09-20) Bug: well, I am just using it but to the reviews this is great and it is very helpful, not like Duolingo that spams you with messages and it tell you more so far.... I LOVE IT GREAT JOB! 😍🤗🤩
- (2021-09-18) Amit Shetty: Love it! Such a simple idea but easy to use. Learning a language while doing your regular browsing is simply amazing. I am blown away by this tool.
- (2021-08-30) Chris Lindquist: Excellent extension. I found it accidentally while looking for some translation/keyboard extensions for French and have been using it daily for weeks. It's still a young tool, so you may find a bug or two, but the development team is highly engaged, continually asks for feedback, and regularly makes updates. Just install it and let Fluent integrate your new language into your daily online life.
- (2021-08-25) Celeste Navarro Aldoradin: aprendes sin darte cuenta
- (2021-08-17) Eric Murphy: Love it!
- (2021-08-17) Joe Brucker: Great Tool and Great Team ;)
- (2021-08-02) kshitij thosar: It is an excellent way to learn French! I have been using it for a while now and i have learnt a good number of french vocabulary..thanks to Fluent. I
- (2021-08-02) Michael D: This is one of the most useful language tools. I love learning and being refreshed as I use the web.
- (2021-07-29) Treeology Tree Service: Bravo! Great extension. I have been wanting to learn Spanish forever, but can never make the time. I think this will solve that problem. Thank you to the creators, I absolutely love it!
- (2021-07-23) Billy-Ray Sanguine: Love this add-on. I am excited to see what future features will be. Great if like me you have studied a language before, but begin to forget the vocabulry or wish to enlarge it. recommend it very much : )
- (2021-07-21) lori kullahian: As someone who forgot all of her French vocab during quarantine and now has to go back to school and pretend she learned something plus remembers things from before, this app is an amazing way for me to ignore my problem while solving it :)
- (2021-07-20) Samuel Rippon: I've wanted to learn a new language for a while, but have always been too lazy to fully commit to any real study/app. Fluent is non-obtrusive and very useful, it is honestly quite a pleasant experience. If at any point I need to turn it off, it is quick and easy to do so and turn back on right after. This is a great extension and I am hopeful for the future of it.
- (2021-07-16) Arthur: This extension is ideal for anyone interested in learning Spanish and French. Unfortunately, I cannot find the language that I would like to learn...
- (2023-08-07, v:2.9.8) Jordan Pelletier: Free Trial
I have taken the free trial but do not want the service come the end of the week. What do I have to do to insure that I will not be charged at the end of the trial? Is it as simple as removing the extension from chrome?
- (2023-02-28, v:2.7.6) Michelle Cuevas: how it works
hello i do not know how to use it
- (2023-01-20, v:2.7.0) Michael D: Literal Translation
I am using your plugin to increase my vocabulary in Spanish as I find myself using the French word and it is often not correct. The other day there was a sentence about how the packages ship. The translation was for a large boat. I knew this was not correct, but there is no easy way to flag it.
- (2023-01-18, v:2.6.2) Michael Harris: Gendered nouns
It's a drag not knowing the gender of a new noun. It would be really nice if it was shown.
- (2022-07-08, v:2.0.1) Dasha Valkyrie: Multiple languages: Glitch?
I am one of the first users of Fluent. I have Fluent set to French and I've triple checked that. Since the new version appeared I've noticed Fluent often asks me to type in Italian or Spanish, and it will give words in either of those languages as the multiple choice answers. It's very confusing. Is there a glitch that is showing all three languages in tests? Or is this intentional? Or is it an error on my end I need to correct?
- (2022-02-02, v:1.9.6) Drewry Pope: Bad Interactions With Dark Mode Readers
The links which have tests in them keep breaking and i see the english and spanish words both. The other ones work fine. It's really affecting me, turning off dark mode settings is a non-starter. If you could look into alternate ways to hide the original text or maybe offer ways to change colors or not break on that somehow I would really appreciate it.
- (2021-07-20, v:1.4.2) Cousin Putnam: Choose only one language?
I've discovered this while using a borrowed computer, so I can't try it yet on my own. Do I have to choose between Spanish or French? I'm trying to refresh my French and also expand my Spanish. Is there a way to toggle between languages or easily change which one is showing during a period of use? (And like the Mandarin user, I'm open to other languages when you are ready ;) I'm particularly ready for Korean myself, lol)
- (2020-08-18, v:0.17.4) Stefania M.: how do i block it for a specific page?
I cannot deactive it for specific pages, if it's not possible I have to delete the extension 1. i cannot copy/paste something bacause it's gonna copy the French words 2. there are pages where I cannot see this, there are other extensions like grammarly where you can do this easily 3. your setting page is not available
- (2020-08-18, v:0.17.4) Kevin Marlow: No sound
Hello, I am trying your extension now. I went through the setup and enabled permission to view websites. Now, when I see a french word injected, I hover and try to play the sound, but no sound plays.
- (2020-08-17, v:0.17.4) Sheridan Gray: Support for Mandarin
I'm currently trying to learn Mandarin. When that gets added, could you contact me?