Universal mute toggle for Google Meet
Toggle Mic button in Google Meet - Updated to support the latest Google Meet Layout - Control the microphone button of a Google Meet™ call using a global hotkey - Default hotkey is (Ctrl + Shift + 5) to toggle microphone. - Automatically switched to the current Google Meet™ window when you are working in another application - Works outside of the browser - You need not be inside the browser to control the microphone - Receive notifications in your system tray when you toggle the microphone. This reinforces the current state of the microphone during a call especially when you are outside of your browser - Use the hotkey or click on the microphone icon in the extensions area. Switch to active Google Meet™ tab - When you are on another tab in Google Chrome (or) - When you are in another application and you want to switch to the current Meet call tab. You can now switch to the active Google Meet™ tab with the global hotkey (Ctrl + Shift + 2) Navigate to Google Meet™ home screen. - When you are in a Google Meet™ tab, and you want to go back to Meet home (meet.google.com), use the hotkey (Ctrl + Shift + 1) to get back to Meet home. Configurable hotkeys - Visit the Extensions page and use the menu on the top-left to navigate to Keyboard shortcuts. Alternatively visit chrome://extensions/shortcuts and configure.
- (2022-12-03) Joey Ziolkowski: Just what I have been looking for! The only issue, as others have brought up, is that the notifications get pretty annoying. Would love to be able to toggle those off.
- (2022-04-21) This is working great for me on my Windows 10 PC. I paired this with 'strokesplus' (gesture engine to activate the global hot-key command) and it's amazing. I can now unmute myself while working in any window without issue. The notifications are not consistent, but I have found this extension to consistently work regardless. Worth pointing out I primarily work in Chrome, but it did not fail me while working in other apps too.
- (2022-03-23) Gareth “G-Rath” Jones: Good little extension, except _really_ wish I could turn off the notifications as I really don't need and so they're just very distracting :(
- (2021-12-08) Colin Hunt: Works as advertised! Note, the keyboard shortucts on Mac are different than the defaults. You can change the shortcuts under Extensions > Keyboard shortcuts.
- (2021-10-20) Perry Myers: Plugin is excellent and works very well on both Windows 11 and Fedora Linux. Would be awesome if it was more customizable though (ability to change the global shortcuts and to disable the notifications). Thanks for your work on this!
- (2021-10-01) Alex Kuck: Thanks. Could you make the notifications optional?
- (2021-08-05) Kunal Jain: Please either disable the feature where you move to the active meet tab automatically or give us an option to change that. Otherwise this is cool extension! :)
- (2021-07-26) David Chen: Great extension for the global hotkeys, but it is not configurable - the biggest PITA is that you are forced to have notifications, and you are forced to the Google Meet window when muting and unmuting. If you're in a different window and you want to retain focus, or you're screen sharing, it is really jarring to be moved in to an entirely different window. It's triple worse when you're on a separate virtual desktop and you get virtual desktop switched. These should be simple flags/bools/checkboxes in extension settings.
- (2021-06-18) Anton Pinchuk: The shortcut is overlapping with default "make a screenshot" on MacOS. How can I change it?
- (2021-06-14) Rafael Pini: Works great! To make it even better, I would like to be able to define my own shortcut and disable the desktop notification too :)
- (2021-06-08) Yatin Jethi: This extension was working like a charm till yesterday. But the mute hotkey option doesn't seems to work with the new meet layout which is going to be launched from 10.06.2021 My use case is that I have to present my screen a lot of times and during these hour long calls there are time when I want to mute the call without switching the tab which I am presenting. After setting shortcut for mute as global from extension section it was working like fine. I hope the developer is taking note for the new google meet and is updating the extension
- (2021-03-17) Luke Galik: The global shortcut didn't work, unfortunately. Everything else about this app is great, and I really wanted it to work! Unfortunate. Edit: I got it! Woohoo! It was fighting my Chrome for control of the command, works great now!
- (2021-01-08) Aidan: Love it! The only reason it's not 5 star is because it switches you to the tab every time you mute/unmute. I would use it because every time I'm in school or something, and I'm in a presentation. I don't want to go to the meet to mute/unmute, but when it sends you to the meet it kinda ruins the purpose for me... Still great, 100% recommend if you don't mind that, hope you guys can add the part that it doesn't send you to the meet :/ Great extension
- (2020-11-30) Tikus Hijo: Works like a charm. Really useful when mute and unmuting. Thank you for the extension!
- (2020-11-16) Juan Antonio Romero Molero: It works exactly as it should. Notification helper and configurable shortcuts. Excellent.
- (2023-08-21, v:1.0.2) Josep Pi Serra: It stop working...
I can not toggle the mute button anymore, for some reason. It has not been working for the past weeks. Anyone else has that problem?
- (2023-06-01, v:1.0.2) Bryce Twede: Chime when muting/unmuting
Sometimes I hit the unmute hotkeys without realizing it and people can hear me when I'm not expecting it. I'd love it if there were optional chimes when muting/unmuting so I'd know what state it's in. Ideally, they'd be different chimes (like the Windows two tones that play when plugging/unplugging a USB). An optional visual feedback would also be welcomed (that mute button is so small). For example, the entire background color of Meet could change color when unmuted so I could see if I'm live from a distance.
- (2022-10-03, v:1.0.2) Ramine Ameli: Notifications
I saw a comment that the next release would allow the option to disable notifications. Is this feature available yet?
- (2022-09-29, v:1.0.2) Patrick af Klercker: Disable notifications
Could you make it possible to disable notifications? They get annoying pretty quickly. Also, the shortcut to navigate to the active call meet tab is not working, but the one that goes to the meet homepage does work, so I guess there's hope to get that working again.
- (2022-04-12, v:1.0.2) Itorri Sontag: Changing Hotkey
Is there a way to change the hotkey for the extension? If the option exists, I can't seem to find it in the latest version of Chrome running on Windows 11.
- (2022-01-17, v:1.0.2) Tim Ehrlich: Does it work for macos?
Hi there, question in titel. I tried it but it doesn't work.
- (2022-01-14, v:1.0.2) Colin Hunt: Switch to active Meet tab no longer works for me
First, thank you for a very useful extension. The global mute/unmute works well for me. However, "Switch to active Meet tab" stopped working for me, it used to work fine at first. I quite like this feature too, so could you help me with this? Thank you!
- (2021-10-21, v:1.0.2) Janne Johansson: Dedicated mute/unmute (optional) shortcuts.
I'd love an optional secondary shortcuts for mute/unmute. So you could know if you just muted or unmuted yourself. Wold work nicely with headsets with programmable switches.
- (2021-10-20, v:1.0.2) Perry Myers: Disable notifications
Hi! This plugin is awesome, thank you for creating it. Is there a way you could have an option for disabling the notification pop up every time you mute/unmute the mic? On Windows, these notifications just stack up and get annoying over time. They seem unnecessary, especially since the icon in the notification area in Chrome shows you the mute status. Thanks again!
- (2021-07-22, v:1.0.2) Pavel Moiseenko: When I turn on/off the microphone, the tab is activated every time
Hello, every time I turn on/off the microphone, the Google Meet tab makes me active every time. But I would like the microphone to turn on/off in the background, I do not make the active tab with Google Meet. Please improve this behavior.
- (2021-06-08, v:1.0.1) Yatin Jethi: Not Working for New Google Meet
Your Mute for Google Meet extension was working like a charm till yesterday. But the mute hotkey option doesn't seem to work with the new meet layout which is going to be launched from 10.06.2021 My use case is that I have to present my screen a lot of times and during these hour-long calls, I want to mute my call without switching the tab from which I am presenting. After setting shortcut for mute as global from the extension section it was working fine. I hope you are going to update the extension for the new google meet.
- (2021-05-04, v:1.0.1) Taylor Meek (he/him): The plugin no longer toggles the microphone
The plugin has stopped working with Google's recent update. It still appears to work in the lobby/green room, but no longer functions to toggle the mic once you have joined the call.