Awesome Mega-customizable Sub-shortcut widget for Awesome New Tab Page. [ANTP]
This is a widget for the Chrome extension "Awesome New Tab Page" (ANTP). Without ANTP, this extension does nothing. If you'd like to use this widget, you must also install it, which you can find here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mgmiemnjjchgkmgbeljfocdjjnpjnmcg This is a rather complex widget that allows you to have a denser grid, because this widget is able to hold up to 9 tiles of shortcuts to your favorite web sites & Chrome apps. :] I have personally wanted this since day 1 of using Awesome New Tab Page, and now it's a reality. As you can see, it's rather flexible, allows you to resize it from 1x1 to 3x3, and allows for 4 different tile "formats". Colors, urls, images, and more, it's all customizable.
- (2018-02-22) Сергій Бойко: Не хватает возможности установки локальных иконок.
- (2017-07-14) Rosie Then: I'd give it 5*, but it's usually the cause of my new tab to crash. Even when the new tab loads up, too frequently these icons remains off. About half the time the links still work, but it's a pain not being able to see them. When nothing works, nothing works. Even restarting the browser is useless. Please fix it soon. It's a favorite app & makes Awesome New Tab so much better.
- (2017-07-14) Daniel Piesto: english follows: jest fajne, ale nie jest zapisywane w backup. Miałem reinstalacje windowsa, zrobiłem backup i nie mogę odzyskać ponad 50 ikonek z niego. Jest tylko biały ekran. It's cool, but it's not saved in backup. I reinstalled windows and lost over 50 minilinks. I can see a white screen only.
- (2017-06-20) Tami Paterson: Loved it up until one week ago. Now can only fill out three of four tiles in any new instance I add. Have this running on two MacBook Pros, just appears as white boxes with no linking on one of the MacBooks. Sad to have to reset 48 links.
- (2017-03-05) Killian Hermann: keeps blowing away tiles randomly after a few weeks. four times now. terrible dev support (no plugins worth having). goodbye.
- (2016-02-05) S S: This extension needs some sort of FAQ documentation to be useful at all. It is ridiculously difficult and confusing to customize the tiles to anything other than the four present examples it comes with (wikipedia, reddit, pinterest, & nytimes). For example, I can figure out how to enter the URL to a different site that I'd like to use instead of the presets, but how the hell do I change the "Sub-Shortcut Search URL" to match the new site? No information on this anywhere. Three hours of guess-and-check has gotten me nowhere. Completely useless extension without some kind of wiki. At least throw up a freaking website with some info! Jesus.
- (2015-05-18) Will Smithee: I added about 16 instances of the Meta-Tile Widget and it worked well for a couple of weeks, then crashed. Now all of those tile settings are gone... I can't bring myself to setup 64 tiles all over again with the knowledge that I may lose them so readily the next time the app crashes... This is very disappointing and wasted a lot of my time.
- (2015-02-01) Daniel Kelman: Need to update the review below: Have loved the ANTP Widget, but all of a sudden it has started crashing and losing all of my links. Once a week for the last three weeks. I'm done with it. Must have ANTP widget. Really makes the whole ANTP experience much better. Simply being able to build scalable tiles is so useful. My biggest gripe with ANTP was the size of the tiles, and this fixes it. Only issue: Wish that I could add my own graphics for the tile from file. Otherwise great. This is a must-have widget for ANTP.
- (2015-01-05) Connor Middleton: Corrupted files once again. Dropping this and ANTP. Time to move on.
- (2014-11-21) Philip Bune: great add-on, would be nice to browse for custom images but once you know where they are stored adding new ones is a doddle.
- (2014-09-24) Lunay LeZarde: Doesn't actually override Chrome's new tab settings. Most disappointing.
- (2014-02-20) Karl Hyett: Does what it says on the tin, this app is very useful and makes ANTP all that much better. Definitely a must-have app in my opinion. For example i have 3x3(9) tiles setup for shopping (ebay/amazon/scan e.t.c) then 2x2 for social medias and so on. Being able to sort different types of websites into their own groups of small tiles makes life much easier. 5/5
- (2013-09-17) Chris Bennell: Nice but entering a custom image url displays correctly on the preview but does not save and the image resets to the original one when going back to ANTP
- (2013-09-15) Mark Johnson: Allows my new tab page to look so much nicer. If you use Awesome New Tab Page (which you should) I highly recommend using this widget.
- (2013-09-05) Tom Irish: This is a great add on
- (2013-09-04) Riley Williams: I love the visual effect of adding a search bar! The whole idea is amazing to me! It's like microblocks in Minecraft! :D Thanks, Steven Caamano!
- (2013-08-06) This is great. Huge props to the dev.
- (2013-07-31) Cherise Randle: Can you write a tutorial of how this even works? I'm not sure how to configure it.
- (2013-07-30) Spanish Department: I can't get it to save all of the settings. I've redone the configurations six times. Why won't they stay set?
- (2013-06-21) Ray Argent: This allows me to fit in more links in my New Tab page. Absolutely fantastic!
- (2013-06-15) Lee Ross: This widget worked beautifully until I got the page 3/4 full, and then it stopped allowing me to enter URL addresses in the four-tile mode.
- (2013-05-26) Marcus Good: Good, although I wish there was a way to make the tile art redirect to a file on my hard drive that I could select directly. Recently, my copy stopped working for no known reason. Despite uninstllation, reboots, reinstallation, etc. has not worked since late May 2013, others have reported this too. Leaving this comment here hoping the developers will see it.
- (2013-05-23) List Daddy: I was using and liked it but today it is gone. I have tried to remove it and readded it but with no luck. I would welcome your assistance
- (2013-05-17) I just love this widget! Takes customizing the Awesome New Tab Page to a whole other level. If you want custom favicons, yes, you have to add them manually to the 'tile_image' folder in the extensions folder, but I found this easy to do. Even had fun making my own for websites that only display the white document sheet. My New Page tab looks AWESOME!! Now that's what I'm talking about!
- (2013-05-04) Vivek Joshi: Can you please add option for browsing and selecting Meta-Tile Image from system itself? As I only find option for pasting Image URL and not uploading from system.
- (2018-12-21, v:1.2.2) Oleg V. Martynov: Crashes when I try to add my own png
Hi! The app looks cool, but it crashes every time when I try to add a new/own logo. I create .png with transparency, save it to the widget's folder in Chrome, and it crashes when I try to actually add it to the widget. Is there any fix for it?
- (2018-08-29, v:1.2.2) Daniel N: Doesn't load new tab page
The new tab page is the same as usual, not anything awesome or cool.
- (2017-08-30, v:1.2.2) Philip Bune: home page doesn't work
when I run up the browser I get the tiles home page but if I select home button, it goes to the default chrome home screen, cannot get it to work as it used to.
- (2017-03-02, v:1.2.2) Jenny Bannock: keeps crashing!
The widget crashes daily--and it's not my computer, since this happens on at least 3 different comps. Is there an update or something that can fix this?
- (2016-02-05, v:1.2.2) S S: How to edit the "Sub-Shortcut Search URL"
I'm ridiculously confused about how to customize the tiles in this extension to anything other than the four present examples it comes with (wikipedia, reddit, pinterest, & nytimes). For example, I can figure out how to enter the URL to a different site that I'd like to use instead of the presets, but how the hell do I change the "Sub-Shortcut Search URL" to match the new site? No information on this anywhere. Three hours of guess-and-check has gotten me nowhere. Can you please provide some information on this mater?
- (2015-05-18, v:1.2.2) Will Smithee: Lost everything
I added about 16 instances of the Meta-Tile Widget and it worked well for a couple of weeks, then crashed. Now all of those tile settings are gone... I can't bring myself to setup 64 tiles all over again with the knowledge that I may lose them so readily the next time the app crashes... This is very disappointing and wasted a lot of my time.
- (2015-02-24, v:1.2.2) John Cook: Not Reliable
The Meta-Tile Widget often becomes corrupt. Repairing it wipes out everything, and restoring from an exported backup no longer works. Yikes, I give up.
- (2015-02-22, v:1.2.2) Franco Desiderio: All the tiles lost
Every few times the tiles are not loaded correctly even if i didn't change the default grid. Useless extension
- (2015-01-26, v:1.2.2) local file for icon
Is it possible to use a local file (.png) for our custom links?
- (2015-01-14, v:1.2.2) Jarosław Moczyński: This is B***t!!!
I've just lost everything!!! That means I don't want to have anything to do with this extension anymore! So much time lost!