Learn how to say any English word and be instantly understood, using the award-winning Color Vowel®️ System.
Double-click and then right-click on any word to see its stress and vowel. Simply select a word and get a pop-up that teaches you the two most important things about saying that word: where to put the stress, and what vowel sound (color) you should use. This dictionary is built on the award-winning Color Vowel® System, used by more than 10,000+ ESL teachers around the world, and now you can use it, for free, on your computer. Frustrated by all the complexities and “exceptions” of English pronunciation? Tired of not being able to listen and then accurately repeat a word? You are not alone! Blue Canoe and the Color Vowel System will help! Visit www.bluecanoelearning.com for more information. Download the Blue Canoe mobile app for daily lessons that work to improve your spoken clarity and confidence. Watch this 3-minute video to learn more about the most successful way to improve your spoken English. https://youtu.be/21XNGIefcR8 * Move from just knowing what a word means, to confidently using a word when you talk. * Double-click to select, and then right-click on any word to get a pop-up that tells you which syllable to stress (make longer), and what vowel sound (color) you should use, as you say the word out loud. * Listen to the vowel sound recording and then the word recording, and the visual and musical parts of your brain will help you to “hear” it in a way that is not possible with just your language brain. * Go to the Options in Blue Canoe icon in the browser extension bar to change how you call up the pop up, if desired. * Use the Blue Canoe mobile AI app to learn and practice so much more about speaking English with clarity and confidence. Get it from your mobile App Store. NOTE: After installing this extension, refresh any previously opened tabs to use it on those tabs. According to the rules of the Chrome Web Store, it will also not work on the store pages.
- (2020-10-29) 于宇: A very great work to all english learners over the world !
- (2020-09-19) Janat S: Hi everyone! thanks for the extension, I use it on my phone and just love it. but this extension seems not working on my Chrome, when I click the icon of it nothing happens and I can't open its dictionary as well. Please, anyone help me :)
- (2020-09-09) Doug Lott: My students are spending a lot more time reading on-line! It took a couple of on-line meetings for them to see how easy it is to use. A student would struggle with pronunciation of a word, then we would talk about it, and then check with Blue Canoe. Now, they go to Blue Canoe first. Their reading skills, and vocabularies, are growing dramatically since they aren't afraid of mispronouncing the words. I love it, and my student love it!
- (2020-08-28) John Kwon: I'm a big fan of Blue canoe. I've been improving my English pronunciation and working on it. I found out that it's getting better and better as I keep practicing with it. Recently, I'm trying to read an English newspaper. This chrome extension app is awesome. Sometimes, I lost my interest in reading English newspapers exhausted to look up words in a dictionary and can't even find where I'm reading. The other case was that I could understand the meaning of the word but I should find a dictionary in order to catch the exact pronunciation. This Blue Canoe Pronunciation Dictionary is a perfect solution because it provides clear pronunciation with a color vowel as well as meaning. I started enjoying reading a Korean English newspaper on the web. Thank you so much for providing a great and effective tool!
- (2020-08-27) Elizabeth Quillin: This is wonderful and I look forward to having my university freshmen use it. Working with language learners who use a handful of sites to lookup words that often lead them to confusion I am excited to introduce this tool to them. It provides the information they need about a word and accurate pronunciation using a method they are familiar with. Way to go Blue Canoe! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
- (2020-08-25) Xavier Munoz: This is a must-have extension for schools and teachers working with learners of English! How many times have those learning English wanted to have an instant way of checking / hearing the pronunciation of words in English? With this extension, students will have a tool to answer this question on their own and in a way that is based on the brain-friendly Color Vowel(R) Approach and the Blue Canoe app. Kudos to Blue Canoe for expanding their suite of products with this extension.
- (2020-08-25) English By Hosana: I'm a Brazilian English Teacher. But like most people around the world I had low confidence. Then I studied Color Vowel and I use the Blue Canoe app to create my classes and improve my pronunciation. Nowadays I feel more comfortable when I speak English. I improved my pronunciation on average, 85%. Now I'll try using this. It looks like it will be a great tool. Thank you.
- (2020-08-25) Lynn S: Great extension to help with pronunciation for my ESL students, parents of ESL students, and struggling readers. Just click on a word and you have immediate access to not only pronunciation but the word stress and vowel as well!
- (2020-08-24) Jaising Pasten: The worst part of learn a new lenguage is to know the meaning quick and the pronunciation. This extension can do both. A suggestion: you can add an example about how to use it in a sentence
- (2020-08-24) Vivian: Wow! So accessible, useful, and creative. I love how it shows the Color Vowel icon next to the word's definition. This will be very helpful for my online English tutoring, especially the audio the accompanies the highlighted word.
- (2020-08-24) Dilnoza Khasilova: This extension is Awesome! We needed it a new form of tool that could help nonnative speakers to work on their pronunciation. I use it on my phone and now I can use it on my computer. I love the features and listen to the correct Color Vowel pronunciation. Interactive way of learning English!
- (2020-08-23) Chelsea Olsen: I love using Blue Canoe with my ESOL students, and having this extension is the icing on the cake! It's really useful to have this tool on hand as learners interact and read authentic materials online especially during the era of online learning. Having the ability to see and hear the Color Vowel pronunciation and word stress by clicking on a word is incredible! I highly recommend downloading this extension!
- (2020-08-21) Liz Bigler: It's a great way for people who speak English as a second or foreign language to be able to "hear" pronunciations without any sound at all. They can keep it in their memory better that way. Works with the Color Vowel Approach to pronunciation. Works GREAT!
- (2020-08-21) Kris NM: This extension offers pronunciation help and definitions directly in a browser, making it easy for someone trying to improve their vocabulary and speaking skills as they read articles or even browse social media. This is genius!
- (2020-08-21) Rebecca Wilner: This is amazing for people learning the English language, and for folks who are working on developing literacy skills! It clarifies how to pronounce any word on your screen with the touch of a button. I couldn't love it more!
- (2020-08-21) Laura McIndoo: Such a helpful extension! You just double click on a word and it gives you the correct Color Vowel for pronunciation, and you can listen as well. Fabulous!!
- (2021-07-10, v:1.2.0) blue rose: CAN'T SEE BLUE CANOE ON RIGHT CLICK
Hi, I installed the dictionary in my desktop (MAC) . Although I can see blue canoe icon on the menu list below the computer screen, I cannot run it. When I highlight and right click the word the blue canoe doesn't come up. I want to use the dictionary both in Safari and Crome. Is there any way that you can help me in that matter?
- (2021-04-08, v:1.2.0) English By Hosana: Error
This Blue Canoe Pronunciation Dictionary doesn't work on my computer. Is there anything wrong?
- (2020-10-23, v:1.1.2) English By Hosana: There is some mistake
Hi, There is some mistake in this word: "Polychromatic". I guess that underline should come below the letter "a".
- (2020-09-16, v:1.1.2) Sara Berry: The pop up does not appear after I have installed the extension.
The pop up does not appear after I have installed the extension.