Replace words and phrases on websites you visit, using the substitution lists from XKCD comics.
The default substitutions are based on XKCD comics 1288, 1625 and 1679, but the lists can be customised in the options page. Substitutions can be done silently, underlined, or highlighted to call attention to the changed text. Individual domains can be blacklisted to prevent the extension from running on certain sites.
- (2019-01-19) Michael Searcy: Having highlights makes this great. Why not add the original word as a title on the span (which would reveal itself on hover) like `<span title="tweet" class="XKCD_Substitutions_2_replaced" style="background-color: rgb(255, 243, 128);">poem</span>` It seems like it would be a simple change and then if you came across a substitution you couldn't remember you wouldn't have to go look it up.
- (2018-06-13) Daniel Crilley: It's great, and I'd love it if added the option to show the original word in the mouse-over, and also customizing the colour of the highlights.
- (2018-03-06) John Distefano-Bell: I absolutely loved this, and adding my own substitutions is a blast. Something I would love is to be able to export and import configs to be able to save setting between computers, or share them with friends.
- (2017-10-18) Leo P.: It's hilarious, and awesome, but I do wish there was a way to have it not work in text boxes you're currently typing in.
- (2016-08-26) Cody Leonard: This app is AMAZING. Given in a few days when I forget I have it I will be very confused, but until then this a great extension. Nice job. Favorite thing to look up: The LEGO Batman Movie
- (2016-05-16) Jason Schwarzenberger: Would be helpful if it would show the original in the mouse over/title text.
- (2016-05-13) 僊逸醉: the setting could not be changed (if I click save, everything gets cleared out). Don't know if it's the extension or problems on my end.
- (2016-02-20) Velizar Hristov: Seems to implement what it says. Although it's a bit hard to find articles which mention the substituted keywords.
- (2021-04-30, v:0.15) Stopdatamining Redacted: non harmful word replacement
what I mean is, and this happens often; if I am responding to an email, words get replaced and the other party sees those replacements. can you make it do the changes superficially? I.e only for your eyes
- (2021-04-30, v:0.15) Stopdatamining Redacted: sentences won't be replaced if a word in the sentence was also added to the list
"as stated" was added and replaced with "shown" "as stated in the audit log." only replaces *as stated* how can I make both of them work? if not, please consider this a feature request
- (2021-04-30, v:0.15) Stopdatamining Redacted: groups of words when there is already a word in the list.
I added a sentence "as stated in the audit log" to be replaced with a period. I added words "as stated" to be replaced with "shown" only "as stated" is replaced. is there a way I can have the best of both worlds? if not, please accept this as a feature request.
- (2020-08-30, v:0.15) Lauren Puglise: Still changing words when disabled
I disabled this extension in chrome, as I was working on schoolwork in google docs, but it still replaced some of the words I was typing. I had to remove the extension to get it to stop. It was translating "tween" to "neonate."
- (2019-01-19, v:0.15) Michael Searcy: Original Text as Span Title please
Sorry for double post. I just really want you to see this Having highlights makes this great. Why not add the original word as a title on the span (which would reveal itself on hover) like `<span title="tweet" class="XKCD_Substitutions_2_replaced" style="background-color: rgb(255, 243, 128);">poem</span>` It seems like it would be a simple change and then if you came across a substitution you couldn't remember you wouldn't have to go look it up.
- (2018-06-26, v:0.15) burningflag78: language
hi. now working English only. please make work with other language. ex.korean.
- (2018-06-26, v:0.15) Theodore Wilkinson: Halp
Where do I go to enter replacements?