Avoid the lag when entering/exiting fullscreen on a YouTube video - by hiding the heavy fluff while transitioning
There's an annoying lag period when entering/exiting fullscreen on a YouTube video. On my machine, it's normally ~2 seconds; but with a large playlist expanded, it gets up to ~3 seconds. This extension reduces the transition time to almost nothing. Supported fullscreen transitions: - Clicking the fullscreen button - Pressing the F key Unsupported fullscreen transitions (still slow): - Double-clicking the video - Escape - F11 Note that Firefox doesn't seem to have the same issue as Chrome; so in Firefox the improvement is barely noticeable. In Vivaldi, there is unfortunately an intermediate step in the fullscreen transition, which I can't seem to do anything to avoid. It appears to be due to the toolbars being hidden/shown at a different moment to when the browser actually enters/leaves fullscreen. Technical detail: This bug's been present for years now, and I got so sick of it that I spent one night experimenting to find a way to avoid it - and I found one! The extra HTML content on the page (playlist, recommendations, comments, description, likes, etc.) is pretty heavy, and when you toggle fullscreen, YouTube moves it around in the DOM, which ends up incuring a fair bit of processing. I've worked out that it's significantly faster to hide that extra content before transitioning, then display it again afterwards once it's reached its new position.
- (2021-05-01) GODZILLA KONG: still buggy
- (2021-04-25) plastic vork: Works great with Brave! Switched back to chromium from firefox because of this working so well.
- (2021-04-07) Zuneg: Great extension that will save you some nerves. Works as advertised. Vivaldi: 3.7.2218.52 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
- (2021-03-31) Luân Đ. Huỳnh: This actually works. Tested on Edge. The animation using the "F" key is slightly faster than clicking the full screen button. Roughly 0.2s I guess. Thanks for making this awesome extension. Updated: Performance greatly improved with Hardware Acceleration disabled.
- (2021-03-15) Peter Henkel: It still isn't as smooth as in Firefox, but still lightyears better.
- (2021-03-04) Arthur Andrade: Works for me when i click the box icon to make to video larger but not when i double click the video itself. Its is faster than default but still slower than Firefox. If you have the time Brendan, please try to work on this extension.
- (2021-03-01) Dukinlere trivalichalipa: Hey man, thanks for making this but its not working on chrome for me
- (2021-02-18) Ivan Nanić: The effect is slight but noticeable but it introduces an annoying bug: it captures your keyboard input for the the "F" key so you can't type that letter when you want to leave a comment or search for another video. Instead it tries to go fullscreen. Tested on Vivaldi 3.6.2165.36, Windows 10 1909.