Visually show alternative text of social media images
This extension is designed for individuals who are interested in viewing the alt text applied to images without the need to inspect each image or use a screen reader. It makes the alt text on social media posts visible to sighted users on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Human generated alt-text is visible on a blue background, AI-generated alt-text has a maroon background and images without alt text have a red line under the image. Each site and colors can be changed in the extension options to meet your needs.
- (2022-03-20) GK Techies: It also works on LinkedIn! Thank you! I often recommend this extension.
- (2021-06-22) Meryl K Evans: I've tried different plugins to view ALT text on social media and this one does it the cleanest. It simply puts a bar at the bottom of the post. If there's no alt text, it's blank and red (appropriately). If there's alt text, it's blue and contains the actual alt text. Another plugin displays the alt text in the middle of the image. This one doesn't.
- (2021-06-22) Michael Nolan: Been using this extension for a few days but it's something I've wanted for a while and it's eye opening to see what alt text people are using on social media platforms. Particularly useful for those involved in posting on behalf of organisations but handy for everyone to use!
- (2021-06-22) Jake Dolan: After only a short period of using Social visual alt text, it is already a tool that I greatly miss when it isn't enabled. I find seeing the quality and consistency of alt text from brands to thought leaders incredibly useful. It helps me write better alt text and hold myself accountable. Most importantly this extension exposes have how common it is for alt text to be missing or non-descriptive which drives home how necessary it is for us all to be better advocates for accessibility.
- (2021-06-22) Erin Norris: Easy to use and a quick tool to utilize and improve/rethink your alt text descriptions or lack there of. When alt text is present, it appears in a blue box (maroon if AI/generated) at the bottom of social images.
- (2021-06-22) Theresa C.: The Social visual alt text is the perfect addition to anyone wanting to up their accessibility game on social. Knowing what images include alt text lets me know how best to reshare that post while keeping my accounts accessible. PLUS, it's great insight into how different social media managers are using alt text. I'm learning a lot just by scrolling through my feed.
- (2021-06-22) Krystal Tosch: Very insightful (and sometimes comical!) to read the alt text on images on social media without utilizing a screenreader to learn how folks describe images! The extension will help raise the bar for how alt text is utilized across social platforms.