Wikipedia gets a beautiful, clean, modern interface.
Enhance your Wikipedia experience with a beautiful, clean, modern design that's fully customizable. Once installed, Modern will simply apply the new look and features to existing Wikipedia article pages, without you having to do anything. All current features on Wikipedia are supported, this extension simply builds upon the existing interface to offer many improvements, including: ✔ Themes (light, dark, sepia, slate, black) ✔ Fonts (sans, serif, change font size) ✔ Styles (column width, line height) ✔ Languages (menu to switch, fully translated interface) ✔ User accounts (all wikipedia account features accessible from menu) ✔ History (quickly jump to articles you've previously viewed) ✔ Search (powerful autocomplete with preview text & images) ✔ Trending (see today's most read articles) ✔ Contents (fixed to left side for easy navigation, can be hidden) ✔ Editing (full editing controls, history, watch etc) ✔ Switch back to the old design (if needed) with one click ✔ More improvements planned for upcoming releases! If you have any questions, need help or have any suggestions, please get in touch: [email protected] Note: If you're logged into Wikipedia, you must use the default skin for the extension to work. ---------- Wikipedia™ is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. This extension is not endorsed by, affiliated with, or sponsored by Wikipedia™. ---------- Updates: v1.40 - Listen to articles with new text-to-speech feature - Fixed redirect bug on wikipedia home page v1.25 - New wikipedia design fix v1.24 - History bug fix v1.23 - Fix for mobile wikipedia pages (redirect to non-mobile version) - Fixes for image viewer - Style fixes for Italian articles - Scrollbar style fixes for dark themes on mac - New icon v1.22 - Contents sidebar settings (set font size, line height & width) - Better support for large screens (more width settings) - New settings --- Auto dark theme (changes to your last used light/dark theme) --- Fixed header (turn off to hide when scrolled down) --- Open links in new tab --- Hide article links --- Justify text --- Show bullet points on contents - Fixed bugs with article width / centering - Brought back red links for articles that don't exist v1.21 - Mac scrollbars reverted to native style - Contents scrollbar only visible on hover (windows) v1.20 - Search box for languages menu - Nicer scrollbar styles - Centered article text when contents hidden (removed left padding) - Added left padding to article text when contents visible - Fixed french dark theme + languages menu - Fixed user menu for non-english languages - Fixed font size not changeable for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean - Removed system-ui font (fix for east-asian windows fonts) - Fixed display of math equations in dark mode - Made search box usable at narrow widths v1.11 - Bug fixes v1.0 - First version
- (2023-10-26) Leonardo: Worse app ever, only 2 fonts, black theme is impossible to read the white fonts, can't increase brightness, they save the page as a new bookmark in chrome even if i had already saved it in the normal wikipedia version, and most important they won't answer your emails regarding all the problems, delete it google!
- (2023-10-25) Андрей: Расширение неплохое, но есть баг в отображении цитат на странице статьи при включенной темной теме.
- (2023-09-29) Brandon Crabb: Worked really great so far. Will update if any issues. Site now looks elegant, clean, and the dark mode is much easier on the eyes.
- (2023-08-22) Tyler Keller: killer
- (2023-08-09) rakha: Omg this is just the perfect one!
- (2023-08-05) Kaloogh: Lo que dijo el bro de abajo hace 8 meses xd Los colores son muy brillantes falta añadir brillo y contraste o personalizar con rgb, por ejemplo a mi me gusta mucho el sepia pero mas oscuro tirando a café (#7f6d52) Y si se puede conseguir con Dark reader pero se buguea mucho
- (2023-07-14) Entropy B. Ball: Everything I needed and more! Amazing
- (2023-06-15) Ahmed Rasha: Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful work.
- (2023-06-14) habit islife: what an extension mann
- (2023-05-21) Trọng Nghĩa Nguyễn: appruv
- (2023-05-10) Guilherme Martinez: Except not being able to change the title font style (seems to be stuck in serif), its really good
- (2023-05-06) Monotone: shows the best wiki
- (2023-05-06) Prince William: Perfect
- (2023-05-03) An Kylor: 10/10 excellent
- (2023-04-23) Woodlands Away (WoodlandsAway10): Great Extension!
- (2023-04-23) Griffinman: Same issue as @Varniit Professional, blank white "Wikipedia" page that endlessly refreshes and no solution found. Would almost certainly rate it better if I could find a solution tbh.
- (2023-04-12) Anorak Armhammer: Makes you search around for the settings like a goon.
- (2023-03-28) Александр Крупнов: Excellent work!
- (2023-03-22) Varniit Professional: Broken addon. After installing and enabling this addon, it constantly blinks "https://www.wikipedia.org/" to death.
- (2023-03-11) Ileska: Very cool
- (2023-03-06) Стертник: Отличное расширение, превратившие из старой Википедии современную. Кроме темной темы и очень удобного расположения текста, имеется удобная функция. При наводке курсором мыши на синий текст (текст хранящий в себе ссылку) или некоторые картинки, рядом высвечивается окно с главной информацией. Очень удобно и даже стало интересней узнавать информацию со статей. Информация лучше усваиваться в голове. Это не мелочь, а как новая Википедия!
- (2023-02-18) Timongcraft: Very nice extension and good themes!
- (2023-02-13) Marius Bancila: It's love at first sight. It makes the Wikipedia pages finally readable!
- (2023-01-30) Witty Humour: Amazing!
- (2023-01-19) Maya Anderson: Got this to deal with the awful new default theme Wikipedia has implemented. The customization is excellent, though it would be nice to have the option to hide the table of contents by default rather than having to close it every time you open a new article.
- (2023-01-04) sergey z: Installed it for the dark mode, but it's useless since formulas become invisible.
- (2022-12-20) ren isen: This is the only chrome extension i've ever written a review for. This extension is incredible, i wish all websites were built with this level of display control, it's is so slick and so easy and so much more comfortable to read wikipedia now, thank you!!!
- (2022-12-17) Tony Guo: THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE GEAT EXTENSION! but...can you add the same theme to other wiki stuff, e.g., Wikiversity. thank you!
- (2022-12-15) Starsky Wong: Much better than wikiland!
- (2022-11-15) Kanan Hasanov: Very good extension. But here's some moments that you should change, like images, tables and etc. colors and contrasts due to theme. If you set the Dark theme, you'll barely see the images (for instance, formulas) and also there are images with white background (which not comfortable for eyes), so it would be better if you take attention to such details. I tried to add in your code some changes (like, in Dark theme, for formulas and tables, "filter: contrast(0);", and for only tables "background-color: transparent;".
- (2022-10-24) Averroes G: Way better than Wikiwand. Simple, straightforward and actually modern.
- (2022-10-24) William Hardin: This extension is absolutely amazing.... BUT! There's one huge issue with the extension and it's more of a nitpick that has unfortunately turned me off from further using this extension. That issue is that there's no random article button anywhere in sight. Sometimes, I love to read random articles out of pure boredom because it can show up some amazing articles that are genuinely fascinating and a blast to read. This being omitted from this extension really irks me so badly that I am now having to use Wikiwand to get a good Wikipedia experience (and that app hasn't been updated in over a year). If the developer(s) of this extension code in a random article function / button to the Modern Wikipedia Reader, then I'll be interested in returning to using this extension. But for now, it's partially useless for me. Such a shame since the rest of the extension is PHENOMENAL!
- (2022-10-10) Arne Vander Massen: This is truly a modern and more user friendly version of Wikipedia. It also feels more premium!
- (2022-10-06) Christian Eyy: Great!!! Would install again.
- (2022-09-25) cat: i hope switch language in wikipedia can be more easier, instead of typing every time. for example, make a preference language switcher panel . it is very helpful for those not good at english, but text book fill with english terminology.
- (2022-09-07) ADITYA K: This Review is after 10mins of usage!! This extension is fricking awesomeeeee I just tumbled upon it not by searching on my own and OMG it's gonna make reading Wiki so much more easier now I loved the themes as well thanks a lot. I hope this extension stays the same and does not become paid or something. Thank you Devs!
- (2022-03-22) егор: amazing extension, scary to imagine how much work was put into this! huge gratitude to author! a little problem i have is that extension hides table of contents from the article. i understand that it is moved to the side, but if i have it collapsed, there is no way to jump to chapters. also, i think table of contents moonlights as a separator between introduction and the main body of an article. maybe, it is possible to add a setting to return table of contents? thank you!
- (2022-03-15) Syed: It;s beautiful!!
- (2022-02-06) Chiel ten Brinke: Very nice, especially the fact that you can customize many of the layout parameters.
- (2022-02-05) Piotr Skarżyński: Sooooo good!
- (2022-01-27) Just Faris: hwo do i enable dark mode lul
- (2022-01-18) BlueXky: Amazing :D includes a beautiful menu and dark mode. Highly recommend!!
- (2022-01-16) 岚千子Official: Very nice. It would be better if it could prioritize the user's common language in the language menu.
- (2022-01-09) Nico D: Great job! Love it as well! Only piece that still bugs me is the unstyled tables, as has been mentioned here before. Otherwise, it's come a long way. Keep it up! I was looking to make a PR for the tables, but couldn't find it on Github or anywhere else. You're not open sourcing this anywhere?!
- (2022-01-07) Ana Grkovic: Persistent TOC is a great feature! As for bugs, I've noticed that some titles remain black even in dark mode. For example: The Betty White Show (1952 TV series). And yeah, tables aren't styled.
- (2021-12-30) Jorge Quintanilla: So far so good
- (2021-12-28) Akshaye Shenoi: Wikipedia must default this.
- (2021-12-27) Abhay Salvi: Perfectly made. Literally no complaints for this. Also 5 stars for the settings panel where you can change font and page colors!!!!
- (2021-12-26) Tamim Arafat: Absolutely beautiful. I love it. The only issue I have is that tables are unstyled and they stand out like absolute eyesores in dark mode. Also I think that the "color-scheme: dark;" property should be applied so that the scrollbar isn't also as prominent.
- (2021-12-16) Gregory Em: It scaling badly
- (2021-12-28, v:1.22) Andrii Bodashevskyi: Bugs
Hi! I have two bugs with your extensions: 1) black themes work incorrectly - not all stuff is in the black mode and some stuff doesn't appear in black mode (quotes for example); 2) the right top button (tab) on the main page of Wikipedia doesn't work. Thank you
- (2021-12-08, v:1.11) Thomas The Offline: Wikiwand
What's the advantages comparing to Wikiwand ?
- (2021-12-07, v:1.11) Ariel Assaf: why ask for browser history?
Why do you need it? Can it be optional?