Modern, dark mode for Google Docs
[Now Supports Material 3 Update] DocsAfterDark relieves eye-strain from the Google Docs experience with a focus on functionality and artful design. Easily enable or disable dark mode for any document without modifying the original project. Access dark mode settings and more in the extension option menu, which can be accessed by clicking on the extension icon in the browser toolbar. Customize the document background to a darker shade, or use any valid background CSS value in the custom field, including images, gradients, and transparent backgrounds.* With the invert and grayscale options, document content (excluding images*) will be rendered in a comfortable dark mode. By disabling the document border option, documents will blend into the background to create a seamless workspace. To temporarily toggle dark mode on/off, click on the button in the bottom left corner of the page. Sometimes this button may block other elements, such as the word count widget. When this occurs, enable the Raise Button toggle in the option menu. The global toggle in the option menu can be used to disable/enable the extension. The source code, binary releases, and update notes are available on GitHub at https://github.com/waymondrang/DocsAfterDark. *May be unstable on Chrome If you enjoy using DocsAfterDark and would like to support its development, please consider donating on Buy Me a Coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/waymondrang.
- (2023-03-25) William Richards: google needs to add this feature to google docs
- (2023-03-18) Gloria Efata: Finally the good one! Thank you for saving my eyes <3
- (2023-03-18) Zeku: Simple and straightforward, doesn't clutter the screen with toggle garbage, just a small icon in the lower left corner
- (2023-03-15) Alex Crow: Thank you to the developer for the quick fixes regarding the issues caused by the Google Docs redesign. This is an amazing extension, could not recommend it enough.
- (2023-03-15) ambrosia jaden: loved it! but there's a glitch with the custom document mode. it doesn't work :( it used to work before.. hope this gets fixed soon!
- (2023-03-15) Enai Kirai: the color picker doesn't work, at most only the default color works, and the invert button works. The grey will work for now, i hope the colors can be fixed somehow.
- (2023-03-15) TillTripJake: i cant get docs after dark to work on my slides its only working on docs if that's intentional or not but if so you should make some for slides to
- (2023-03-15) Anthony Reinowski: Does exactly what it needs to do without adding anything extra. Perfect, no weird glitches or anything seen with other dark mode extensions.
- (2023-03-14) Jonathon Gillis: I've been using this extension for months and love it! The most recent update, however, has for some reason made the font color for the outline text on the left nearly unreadable. It's very dark gray text now, whereas before it was a lighter gray and easy to read. I hope this was a mistake, because it's really making it difficult to see the text.
- (2023-03-14) Full Exposure: Set URL links to light grey so you can barley see them and now with latest update the subheadings in your index are the same. Gets worse with each "update". you never know what you gonna get when it updates.
- (2023-03-14) Judith L.: Love it. Thank you guys for your great work. Working with Google Docs was simply not possible for my eyes before I discovered this plugin. Now I love it and completely moved all my work. Keep up the great work and many thanks again!
- (2023-03-14) Aurel: I love it, just the best dark mode extension on chrome, but with the UI update it just bug a lot, please update it. Its use less for now:c
- (2023-03-11) Dimitrije Andjelkovic: There was some update on the google docs, so some areas that wer in dark mode ane now white, especially in the naw bar. By the way, i like this extension and highly recomend it.
- (2023-02-26) Dan Nichols: Awesome! but sadly images are inverted as well. Would be nice if images could be excepted from the dark mode :(
- (2023-01-26) James Dahlberg: amazing! perfectly recreates dark mode docs like it is on mobile, which is awesome for me because i feel more comfortable writing on a PC. love the options it gives you, too. my only gripe is that the button to switch back to light mode in the corner overlaps the word count popup, but that's just me. it works fine there otherwise!
- (2023-01-19) Clout Goggles: "Thank you so much"- My retinas
- (2023-01-14) Yovan Grbovic: Excellent!
- (2022-12-22) Rowan W: Does what is advertised, however it will turn your document to greyscale (nullifying any highlights, custom text colours, etc.) and invert images, which can be pretty irritating if your documents have a lot of those.
- (2022-12-15) Nomenjanahary Fanomezantsoa ANDRIAMPENO: super!!!!!!
- (2022-12-11) Aleksa Mrkela: Works like a charm!
- (2022-12-07) Juha Keränen: Great addon. Would love it if there was an option to not invert pictures.
- (2022-12-05) Ashmit Patil: Good extension, but no dark mode on home page. Also is there a similar extension for google drive?
- (2022-11-28) Victor Mezrin: Such a relief for the eyes after dark!!!
- (2022-11-22) Alauddin Shahed: MY EYES THANKS YOU SO SO MUCH.
- (2022-11-19) Arvinder Dhillon: did a professional, industry standard google software developer make this? can't be this efficient any other way.
- (2022-11-19) sonny: VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY GOOD SO GOOD OMG
- (2022-11-17) Chandler Bauer: This extension is SWEET RELIEF. I've been looking for ages it feels like for a dark mode extension that looks this good, and so easily switched on and off. Well done! My eyeballs and ebbing headache thank you.
- (2022-11-10) speed_racer: Super helpful, thank you! :)
- (2022-11-09) john reid: Everything has turned to the dark mode, as I expected it to do. I find the Page I write on is still white, Is there a way to change that?
- (2022-11-08) makhlouf gharbi: like it
- (2022-11-07) SIAO-YUN HONG: 很好用的黑暗模式，直接將Google Doc變成黑灰階，沒有多餘的顏色，非常棒的功能。
- (2022-11-06) Space Cadet: thank you thank you THANK YOU for changing the color of my page and text in addition to the UI. Fantastic extension, incredibly easy to use
- (2022-10-25) Daniel Martynovich: epic
- (2022-10-25) dmukyy: only one that actually darkens the page and doesnt blind me. Thank you!!!
- (2022-10-24) Yanis SABIK: C'est incroyable ! L'extension ne modifie presque pas l'interface (contrairement au autres), la couleur du mode sombre est très agréable, et enfin, elle est souvent mise à jour... Donc ya pas de bug, elle est sur GitHub, bref génial ! ^^
- (2022-10-20) stars colliding: so good! thank you!
- (2022-10-18) O'Neil Smile: This extension is a game changer and retina saver. Kudos and ready for primetime!
- (2022-10-11) A Eugene: This is going to cut down on so much eye strain - thank you!
- (2022-10-09) Valyuta Rozmar: Thanks my boy
- (2022-10-08) Alex H.: For eons, the people have yearned for one thing and one thing only; the ability to write in the dead of night without breaking their eyeballs with the bright lights of their computer. Now, in the year of 2022, a savior has appeared to guide the way with a soft, gentle, deep grey hue that caters to all humanity. Bless you for finally giving the people what they desperately needed. 5/5 stars!
- (2022-10-07) Stanislav: Ох*еть, спасибо папаша, это лучший дарк мод для гугл доков!
- (2022-10-07) Chester Dawson: love this one - MUCH kinder on the eyes, matches the dark mode of my (iOS) Notes app i primarily do a lot of my writing in. thank you so much, mate, this is wonderful and sooo much nicer on my eyes!!!
- (2022-09-28) Ion Skalamera: It was exactly what I was looking for. Pure black, with the option to make the documents black or white at will.
- (2022-09-26) Grant Thurman: Tried all the Google Doc dark mode extensions and this one is by far the best.
- (2022-09-26) Marcel Hartung: Best one I've found so far.
- (2022-09-21) Mariana :3: OMG IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!! I love writing in google docs but the lack of dark mode in pc has always been a mayor issue for me and this completly solves it. Thank you so much for creating this!!!
- (2022-09-21) Zsófia Surname: Works well. However the front page is still white.
- (2022-09-03) Users: An extension better than 'Google Docs Dark Mode' for privacy and usage. However, the 'table options' and the 'image options' are still in white mode.
- (2022-08-30) Muhammad Daud: Much better than the other google docs dark mode extension that now needs permission to read browsing history. Well done
- (2022-08-29) Ametrine: No complaints! It's exactly what I was looking for and it doesn't invert any colors that I don't want inverted.
- (2023-03-17, v:0.6.0) Jonathon Gillis: Outline font
Hello, I recently left a review about the font color of the left outline panel being too dark to read, and I can see you shortly after put out an update which appears to have addressed the issue for Firefox. The issue is still persisting on Google Chrome, and it's making me feel I need to uninstall the extension soon (I really don't want to do this because this is the best solution for a Docs dark mode). Can you please tell me if you still plan to fix the dark font issue for Chrome users? To clarify, the outline panel on the left has a really dark gray font that collides with the dark background and it makes reading the content extremely difficult. This has never been an issue until a few days ago. I appreciate any help!
- (2023-03-10, v:0.5.3) VictoryFireGames Entertainment: New Docs Update
Hey, I don't know if you've already seen this or are planning on updating this but I love this extension and I'm hoping you'll update it to work with the new UI changes in docs. Thank you for your time!
- (2023-03-09, v:0.5.3) Jana Haganová (Ange): half broken dark mode
hi, i have been using this extension for a while and i like it a lot. but today when i opened docs, it is suddenly half broken (reinstalling the extension, refreshing the page or opening a different document did not work). the page background is still dark, but the top panels (with title and options and fonts etc) is pale, so is the document page border (white line), and the background of comments. all text on the page is still light grey, so it's unreadable on the now-white background. it's also very distracting and hard to look at. i don't like any other extension for this (they don't look as good), so i'd like to keep this one. is it possible to fix it?
- (2022-11-28, v:0.5.3) Lupo Grigio: Not working at all
I'm having the same problem with all the "dark mode" extensions... none of them work, at all.... Chrome on intel Mac
- (2022-11-11, v:0.5.2) Jonathan W Mudd: Access control panel/settings?
How can I access the settings for this - I've seen them before ... I'm looking to disable the grayscale feature
- (2022-09-15, v:0.4.2) 30first “30first”: Ram usage
I do not have a problem but I was wondering about the significance if any on ra usage this extension would cause or any major system usage for that matter just want to know if it would be viable for a laptop with not the greatest specs?
- (2022-06-01, v:0.3.63) Tobias Ziesmann: Page remains white
I tried this extension and it turns the background dark but the page itself has remained white.