An experimental, permission-less content blocker. Blocks ads, trackers, miners, and more immediately upon installation.
uBO Lite (uBOL) is an experimental *permission-less* MV3-based content blocker. The default ruleset corresponds to uBlock Origin's default filterset: - uBlock Origin's built-in filter lists - EasyList - EasyPrivacy - Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list You can add more rulesets by visiting the options page -- click the _Cogs_ icon in the popup panel. uBOL is entirely declarative, meaning there is no need for a permanent uBOL process for the filtering to occur, and CSS/JS injection-based content filtering is performed reliably by the browser itself rather than by the extension. This means that uBOL itself does not consume CPU/memory resources while content blocking is ongoing -- uBOL's service worker process is required _only_ when you interact with the popup panel or the option pages. uBO Lite does not require broad "read/modify data" permission at install time, hence its limited capabilities out of the box compared to uBlock Origin or other content blockers requiring broad "read/modify data" permissions at install time. However, uBOL allows you to *explicitly* grant extended permissions on specific sites of your choice so that it can better filter on those sites using declarative cosmetic and scriptlet injections. To grant extended permissions on a given site, open the popup panel and pick a higher filtering mode such as Optimal or Complete. The browser will then warn you about the effects of granting the additional permissions requested by the extension on the current site, and you will have to tell the browser whether you accept or decline the request. If you accept uBOL's request for additional permissions on the current site, it will be able to better filter content for the current site. You can set the default filtering mode from uBOL's options page. If you pick the Optimal or Complete mode as the default one, you will need to grant uBOL the permission to modify and read data on all websites. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, with these end goals: - No broad host permissions at install time -- extended permissions are granted explicitly by the user on a per-site basis. - Entirely declarative for reliability and CPU/memory efficiency.
- (2023-03-25) Sergio Emir Rozo Díaz: Está genial aunque sería bueno que dejara seleccionar la publicidad a eliminar.
- (2023-03-22) Alan Sanchez: It doesn't not block ads for me
- (2023-03-07) Edmárcio Santos [ethomaz]: The simple look and strong blocking capabilities surprised me to the point I couldn't tell the difference from original uBlock Origins (I'm not a power user at all). I rater prefer this new appouch over the original... and it fell ligher in CPU and recourses use...amazing. Great job devs... Raymond you deserver all the praise you overdid again. Loving it.
- (2023-03-02) Chang Soo: Doesnt lite become useless since it doesnt have a custom list so you cant block sites that it doesnt pick up.
- (2023-03-01) Patrick: As good as the normal ublock origin. Blocks all ads on youtube/youtube music/twitch/etc. If you also got adguard home/pihole+unbound, then you are good to go. This lite version is faster and less resource heavy than the standard version.
- (2023-01-18) Jon N: A very good MV3 based adblocker. Three things missing: cookie notification prevention and social media annoyance filters, you know the twitter and facebook buttons. In the old extension I liked using the element hider and custom filters too. The cookie notification is the big one for me. Do people have to install a separate extension for that or would it be possible to implement it in MV3 uBOL? Thanks again for developing uBO lite!
- (2022-12-26) Atif Hussain: Working great. Would be great if we had the option to see websites that have received complete read permission in a single list and to manage them directly from the list. edit: the permissions are acting a little weird. After clicking UBO icon the extension receives full site permissions even in basic mode (this can be seen after hovering over the UBO icon, it says has access to site whereas without clicking the icon it says wants access to site).
- (2022-12-12) Dabi: Definitely feels lighter and simpler than the full uBlock. And it's nice how it allows the "Preload pages" setting. I'm glad that efficient ad blocking seems to be still possible under MV3. Might be not enough for power users, but for me it works great.
- (2022-12-07) Google User: Seems ok, not much of a difference compared to using just one extension, say Ghostery.
- (2022-12-06) Riley: One of the best ad blockers to ever exist. I highly recommend this to everyone who uses chrome.
- (2022-11-29) Google User: Is there anyway to force "complete" or "optimal" in the registry? Or maybe have it point to a config file like we did with the original?
- (2022-11-05) Dmytro PoRtvine: It is possible to add an operator :remove() ? Description does not match reality: - No cosmetic filtering (##) - No scriptlet injection (##+js) - No redirect= filters - No csp= filters - No removeparam= filters
- (2022-10-26) Renato Adesivagem: excelente. Bloqueou todos anúncios do Instagram.
- (2022-10-14) William Feely: Excellent in concept, but it appears to be flaky, not always killing YouTube ads. When checking the addon when it failed (I did give permission to modify youtube.com) it showed reddit.com which I previously browsed.
- (2022-10-11) Anjas Wahyu: make cosmetic filtering enabled pls
- (2022-10-01) neko kuro: 軽量でパフォーマンスを犠牲にしないので良い！ youtbeの広告消すには拡張フィルタリングを有効化しないと行けない！ uBlock Originと比べるとかなり機能は制限されてるが全てのフィルター有効化するとuBlock Origin遜色ないのでオススメできる
- (2022-09-29) René Stout: Een prima opvolger van de standaardversie. Knap werk!
- (2022-09-28) vasilis vita: works everywhere except youtube ... if only you could do something for it , I know it is difficult
- (2022-09-28) Simon Simon: Not as good as ublock origin and probably never will be, really sad. Gorhill does a great job for millions and millions of people, we can't thank you enough!
- (2022-09-28) Серж U: Включите, пожалуйста, возможность добавить свои правила для блокировки и фильтры. Спасибо.
- (2022-09-28) Steve Seguin: Sadly, YouTube ads aren't blocked for me with this extension -- I'm giving 5 stars with the consideration that this is still a bit of a 'preview', with the hopes it does manage to improve. I really appreciate the developer's efforts with MV3, like a lot, as migrating my own ext to MV3 is proving a nightmare.
- (2022-09-25) Laìcurè Levìarè: still the best and it is working well, I haven't tried with other sites but I can see it still blocks ads. Hoping to see, at least, the domain whitelist functionality.
- (2022-09-24) Jan Brodda: Works great and fulfills all my needs regarding adblocking without requiring any permissions!
- (2022-09-24) Dark Flight Dreamer: Giving 5 Stars rating to support the dev/s
- (2022-09-22) AlpenT Milch: Because of Google, this addon cannot block all ads compared to ublock origin. Please Google bring all features to manifest 3 so that ublock origin can function again. Please
- (2022-09-21) Madis: Thank you!
- (2022-09-20) Dale Sedivec: Way to go Raymond! This makes Chrome and Edge usable again. I especially appreciate that you are blocking malicious sites. Many thanks for providing a solution for manifest v3!
- (2022-09-10) NJ: want to say thanks for preparing for the inevitable. really appreciate being able to test this out to know the difference between MV2 and MV3 limitations. 1 that really bothered me is youtube ads. are these not going to be blockable in MV3? keep up the good work !
- (2022-09-10) William Carson: I am a big fan of uBlock. I am really happy to see it thrive even after Manifest v3. Really wish that MV3 constraints did not exist :( but it is what it is. Thank you so much for making such a beautiful extension.
- (2022-09-09) Jason Lee: I am a big fan of this idea of a much simpler permissionless ad blocker. I honestly hope that this project remains as simple as it is. I spend a fair bit of time disabling extra functionality in uBlock Origin when I add it to a new machine. Really the only thing missing for me is the ability to disable on a per domain basis. Love it so far!
- (2022-09-09) Devin Arthur: Gorhill, you've done it again. It works fine. I manage a regular uBO deployment in a large enterprise environment and its sad we will have to rely on a reduced functionality version, but if we are able to add "allow list" URLs like we could with MV2, then it would be fine for our use case. Thanks for trying to work inside Google's crazy new MV3 constraints.
- (2023-03-23, v:0.1.23.3066) Dave Chiodo: Unable to set "no filtering" for some sites
It's at "optimal", I can click to set it to "basic" and the page reloads. If I try to click to set it to "no filtering" it jumps back to "optimal" and refuses to accept the setting. It works for SOME sites, but some it won't. How can I force it to use the setting *I* want it to use for any site? Is there a config file I can edit to add domains to for specific filtering levels?
- (2022-10-05, v:0.1.22.9305) Emanuele Steva: Conflict with "Kee" extension.
activating uBlock Origin Lite, "Kee" is no more able to connect to the Keepass db.
- (2022-09-28, v:0.1.22.9274) Charles Raisor: How does this compare to uBlock Origin?
Is this similar to uBlock Origin but just for Manifest V3?