Blocks unwanted news stories from appearing in your Google News feed.
It blocks unwanted news stories from appearing in your Google news feed. Add keywords and key phrases as patterns to block. Then, any headlines or leads that contain those patterns will be hidden from view. To restore them, either remove the pattern or click the "show" link at the top of the news feed. Import my list as a starter - https://pastebin.com/dh9TuPsL What's new- 06/2018 - first word bug - attempt to prevent overly simple keywords 05/2018 - started handling new layout 07/2017 - much faster - can hide notification - works with new redesign - added "Silent Mode" - UI tweaks - now applies to all regions (*://news.google.*) It largely borrows from Personal Blocklist (by Google) Keyword muting, trump, kardashian, block
- (2023-09-13) Jeff Green: When I added terms to it that I didn't want to see, it worked. However, I recently noticed that many of these terms were showing up. I didn't understand why, and I didn't check this extension to see what the problem was. Today, I saw a new item that I wasn't interested in, so I went to add it to this extension, and I noticed that ALL of my previous entries had been wiped clean. I don't know what happened, but probably two years or so worth of entries were simply gone. That's not acceptable. If that's a flaw in this extension, it means that this is an extension that doesn't belong in the Play Store. To sum up, when it was working, it was working just fine, but when I discovered that all my entries had vanished, that made this a really problematic extension.
- (2023-08-04) Risa Pesavento: Amazing
- (2023-06-13) Jon: Sanity restored.
- (2023-03-24) Kris: Thank you very much! Works great. Now how can I get this on my phone?!
- (2022-10-05) Michael Lark: Not bad, but it doesn't seem to work for all words or phrases. For example, I downloaded this because for some reason Google thinks I am interested in a particular celebrity divorce. So I added the names of the celebrities, in several different configurations, and I am still getting those stupid articles. I wish it worked better.
- (2022-05-24) Kurt Reno: Brilliant! Google News "show me fewer" does nothing, but this extension rid me of every Kardashian story like magic! THANK YOU!
- (2022-05-09) Arkan Salih: Please update. Whenever I open a topic I have to refresh. Also Google news has changed design. Now it shows small cards of "full coverage" under the main story, and when the extension finds a blocked word, it hides the entire coverage, not only that story. Let's say the story is about a far right candidate and an article contains "Trump like candidate", so this extension shows the entire coverage on Google news just because of one article's wording. I understand the extension should technically hide that source, but not other sources that don't contain Trump. Thanks.
- (2022-04-18) Nikki Y: Do not bother. There is no place to add the things you want blocked. They must have removed it. Not sure how this could work without that.
- (2022-04-02) Roberto Rosario: Thanks for providing such an essential service! I don't need to hear about all the murders and killings in the world every day!
- (2021-11-16) Darik Horn: A way to easily block sportsball and COVID-19 stories in Google News. Official propaganda topics can't be blocked in the Google News user interface. Good News is a very excellent extension for Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge.
- (2021-10-09) Blake Piercy: Thank You!!! I can now block entertainment and sports. The only addition I would make is an ability to block more general terms. For instance give it the term "baseball" and it automatically blocks all sites with anything baseball related. For now blocking individual websites is actually a bit entertaining, imagine the smile I got when I added "Burnt Orange Nation" to the list. That glee will wear off and it'll get tiresome to block each one, of which there seems to be an infinite number. Thanks for the effort and the work you put into this, it's certainly appreciated.
- (2020-12-09) PerpetualOmega: It does remove selected stories with blocked words, however, Google news only gave a few stories per category on the front page and these removed stories do no get replaced. so essentially you end up with a blank page if you block Covid, Brexit & Trump.
- (2020-11-17) Mike Brown: This extension is way too aggressive; it hides the entire card (group of headlines for a topic) when it matches a keyword in the card. Even the example images show entire sections have disappeared, like the whole Fact Check panel.
- (2020-10-29) Lady Columbia: I'm so glad I found this, I really didn't want to see Entertainment stories in my news feed. Thank you again
- (2020-10-28) Timothy Edgin: I would argue this is the single most important plug in available for Google News. I was getting spammed with Kardashian and Bieber BS so much I subsdcribed to the Epoch Times to get away from it all. With this plug in I can at least weed out some BS. I hate that Google took away the ability to remove unwanted news sources or articles. I do not need to see Sports or Entertainment- I do not get off watching men in tights hug each other for a ball and I care less than 0% what Hollywood celebs have to say. In fact I pretty much go against Hollywood by default. So until Google allows humans control their news feeds this plug will have to Suffice.
- (2020-09-12) DAVE C: finally something that really works to clear out unwanted news topics. in fact, you can watch the articles disappear in front of your eyes as you input that specific key word. not having any interest in SPORTS, I entered sports as a key word and they whole SPORTS category under Google News is gone! Extension still allows you too see what articles have been hidden if you want - it's tempting!
- (2020-03-15) Federico Matias: if you could make the same with youtube please
- (2020-02-01) Robin Brown: After filtering a few terms the articles disappear but clicking on any links below saved searches gives me a blank page. I will hang in to see if this gets fixed I would love reading the news without feeling sick.
- (2020-01-30) Sai Y: was working well for a few months....now when i open google news the entire page in empty.
- (2020-01-20) Steve Vance: When it works, it's awesome. However, it breaks quite a bit and the developer seems to have vanished. Keeping the Kardashians away was fun while it lasted though.
- (2019-10-22) Uncle Mart: Since Google News removed the option to remove categories and stuff like that it's become horrible. I was about to give up on google news after seeing many others sharing the same frustrations (and also giving feedback that just gets ignored). This extension is what google news SHOULD have built in. Now I no longer have to scroll past stories about sport or the kardashians. The "see fewer stories like this" has never ever even come close to working, I don't think it actually does anything at all to be honest. THANK YOU FOR THIS EXTENSION! Where google has failed, you have won!
- (2019-09-02) Zak Oz: NO MORE Infotainment and Newsvertising. Goodbye Kardashian Kanye Swift iPhone Markle Jenner iPad
- (2019-08-28) Essero Eson: I have been trying for years to get the team at Google to stop shoving sports news in my face as I don't like sports, don't follow sports and will never read a sports story. The pleading fell on deaf ears (Or blind eyes). This extension removed the entire sports section just by entering the world 'sports' into the keyword section. I wish I found this years ago. Thank You.
- (2019-08-23) Japan Air Carrier: Says what it does and does what it says :) Love it! Nice, clean context menus, too.
- (2019-08-21) Barb: This app allows you to do what Google is unable or unwilling to do: actually "see fewer" of the stories you don't care about.
- (2019-08-18) Cameron Cole: You are my hero. So tired of the social media BS news stories and Googles inability to efficiently block them from my feed.
- (2019-07-08) Sameer Tangri: Love it. It is easy to use and does the job very well. Just enter the keyword you want to omit and click add. Thereafter, any news headline which contains that word will no longer show.
- (2019-06-28) Roxanne Smith: I wish I had Good News for real life.
- (2019-06-25) Abhishek Joshi: Thank you so much for this extension.
- (2019-06-03) Anthony P: Sanity restored. Thank you dev! THANK YOU!
- (2019-05-07) Sai Pranav Arigala: Tried 3 extensions, this is the only one that works.
- (2019-02-05) I used to love and rely on this extension, but it's recently stopped working. None of the keywords I have in my list are being blocked. This extension used to work flawlessly. Previous review: Finally!!!! Just what I've been waiting for! I <3 this extension...THANK YOU!!!!!
- (2019-01-31) Ben Haley: This has been great for blocking nonsense, BUT recently it's been behaving differently. In Google News, it blocks news stories that contain the blacklisted words, but the slot where the headline would be is still there - it's blank, and the image is still displayed. Weird! If this gets fixed I'll add a star.
- (2019-01-29) Ken Rose: Worked VERY well until yesterday. Now the article text is removed but the images remain.
- (2019-01-21) Edwin Figueroa: Thank goodness for this extension! Will Cloud Sync be supported in a later release? It's the one thing I really would like from this extension. Thanks again!
- (2019-01-02) Ibrahim Yucel: Excellent. Very clean and non-disruptive interface that does exactly what it advertises. I highly recommend
- (2018-12-15) I would give it 5 stars if I could turn off the lower right popup notification that it is filtering per my desires. Duh, I know that and do not need to be reminded every visit! Otherwise, great extension.
- (2018-11-29) Glenn Harrop: No more Fortnite content for me! Seriously, I've been choosing to see fewer Fortnite stories for months and Google isn't listening. I'm very happy to have found this extension to filter out the trash.
- (2018-08-13) Casi King: So far so good. I'm seeing way less Kardashian stuff. Now if we could only eliminate them from the news cycle altogether.
- (2018-08-08) Bruce Rouffian: I was becoming uncharacteristically angry with Google News due to its tendency to push rubbish sources (Express, Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph, The sun, etc.) Now this app has removed all mention of sports, the Express, Love Island and I am thinking Boris Johnson next. Brilliant app. I highly recommend it.
- (2018-07-16) Michael Duffy: god send, why this cant be in news to begin with is ridiculous. thank you
- (2018-07-06) monsieur boeuf de tête: really works the treat. i added a filter for "sports" and the entire category disappeared - adding "bieber" next! great job... thanks!
- (2018-06-14) Lindsey Myers: Worked really well until the latest Chrome update. Now it only partially blocks. Pretty much useless now.
- (2018-06-03) Richard Boehm: Goodbye Kardashians!
- (2018-06-02) Sarathganesh Selva: Thank you so much!@@#@# Please continue to support if for the benefit of human kind.....Why would Google not implement this, Cursed politics I guess!
- (2023-01-14, v:3.11) Ryan Smith: New Google News UI
Hi! I love your extension. Are there any plans to update it to support the new UI coming soon?
- (2022-04-18, v:3.11) Nikki Y: where do I add the keywords? there's no link to the options?
where do I add the keywords? there's no link to the options?
- (2021-05-28, v:3.11) Jeff Green: Some Patters Work Just Fine, and Others Leave a Placemarker
To Whom It May Concern: First, thank you so much for having made this extension. For years, I've lamented the fact that no matter how many times I inform Google News that I'm not interested in information about certain topics, they repeatedly, and daily, show me these topics. It can be really infuriating, especially coming from a company of Google's stature w/ their algorithmic capabilities. I only just found out about your extension this morning, and when I installed it, I added some patterns, and all of them seemed to work just fine w/ the exception of one pattern that I added. There was a story about Kim Kardashian in my feed, so I added "Kardashian" b/c, if I never hear about anyone in that family again, it'll be too soon. The story was removed, however, the image of Kim Kardashian remained. I took a screenshot which you can see here: https://ibb.co/s5W3MbC. I can't interact w/ the empty box, but I can interact w/ her image. However, I didn't select it, b/c I certainly don't need any more Kardashian content than I already receive. Hell, I'm loathe to include their name in this message, b/c I'm certain that Google will take it as a sign, when they run it through their Kardashian filter. "Hey, we just got someone else that mentioned the word "Kardashian" multiple times in a message! Quick, reconfigure the algorithm to ensure that they see the maximum amount of Kardashian content available on the visible Internet! And do it quickly, b/c we don't need an incident like last week, when Kris Jenner came down here and beat all of us mercilessly for not working hard enough." But, I digress...lol Anyhow, I also tried adding refreshing the page, changing the pattern to "Kim Kardashian," removing the pattern, and adding the pattern back as "Kim Kardashian." No matter what I did, the behavior persisted. Some specs that might assist in resolving this issue: System: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 3 OS: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 (OS Build 19042.985) Browser: Chrome v91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit) If you require any additional information from me to help you investigate this, please let me know, and I'd be happy to provide it. Once again, thank you for this extension!
- (2021-03-27, v:3.11) Alex Gene: chart view for data visualization?
chart view for data visualization? keyword over time also to be able to export it and import it in case of pc format or reinstall of chrome?
- (2020-12-10, v:3.11) John Neal: All UK Sites blocked if you block "Brexit"
So I'm completely sick of Brexit. I never wanted it in the first place. I wanted to block anything to do with it on my Google News feed. Unfortunately, if you use this extension to block the word "Brexit" then all UK sites are blocked. The reason being that all of them have some mention of Brexit somewhere on their page (usually a link to another article) A useful feature would be a checkbox to limit the search to the headline only rather than scanning the entire underlying page.
- (2020-11-06, v:3.11) Mike Brown: Entire card hidden instead of individual articles
I'm trying out this extension now, and am finding that it is removing the entire card when there's a match on any headline therein. Surely this is not intended.
- (2020-05-13, v:3.11) Alex Gene: complete suite
How you thought about it? as an e-service, maybe (or probably) followed by an app with extensions/addons per program/app for desktops, tablets and mobiles (block ads for example to freemium microsoft apps) to filter more that just the page of google news. directly in the webpages of new channels, even include social media (for example for facebook there is already a standalone extension blocking elements you don't want to see all the time), have an embedded adblocker etc things that do not come to mind right now. i would gladly pay for this i am suggesting this without having searched if someone offers this, given that people do not think this in a broad range, but per webpage's/app's need, and to be perfectly honest, i don't even know what to type to search it
- (2019-12-22, v:3.11) Larry Dishman: Now only Top Stories display successfully.
As of Dec. 21, 2019, my Google News can only display items in "Top Stories". The sub-catagories display briefly and then vanish. To view a sub-catagory, I have to use your "Show" link.
- (2019-05-28, v:3.11) Mustafa Basaran: Good News - Issue
Hi, here is an issue, please look at this site: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/good-news/ekcmgkhakdlcondlgmadpiogjnlggpne
- (2019-02-27, v:3.11) headers are hidden but the "card" is still shown with the header photo
Hi there! I´m having this issue since two months or so... the extension works as intended blocking the headers with my specified filters BUT some headers are erased and the "card" is still being shown blank with the photo of the news. To put it simple, I see some blank rectangles with the photo of the header instead of having it all removed from the news feed. Can you do something to fix it? maybe google changed something in the way it shows some news in the feed or something... thanks!
- (2019-01-21, v:3.11) Edwin “Eddy” Figueroa: Cloud Sync?
How difficult would it be to implement Cloud Sync for the blocklists? I use several different devices and it would be nice to not have to manage each instance's blocklist. Thanks!
- (2018-08-30, v:3.11) Darth Siddious: Firefox Extension? Use on other sites?
Hi Seth, I'm a new user, was wondering if you have a plugin for Firefox and can filter results on Yahoo and other news aggregator sites. Please let me know. Thanks!
- (2018-07-21, v:3.11) David Hal Chester: No longer working
I have been using Good News happily on my Mac computer on Chrome for quite a while. Recently, no matter what I enter/add, it will not accept it and/or nothing changes. If I add Kardashian (which I had added in the past), or specifically Khloe Kardashian (and yes I used the accent over the "e" in her first name), nothing happens. Good News had been a godsend, but now it does not seem to recognize and/or block any of the things I add to it and I have no idea why.
- (2018-07-08, v:3.11) Explore Na: Open Source?
Hi Is this project open source? It gives us confidence to use extension if they are open source.
- (2018-06-29, v:3.10) Kara Westfall: Everything is blocked
Since 6/26, if this extension is enabled, all stories are blocked, even if no filters are added, and even in silent mode. The only way to see any stories is to disable the extension, or to click on 'show blocked results,' effectively rendering the extension useless.
- (2018-06-21, v:3.8) Martin Gugino: Less than clear how this works
How does this work. How do I exc,lude stories about "Trump"?
- (2018-06-14, v:3.8) Lindsey Myers: block websites
Can you make it to block particular websites feeds entirely? too bad it cannot filter pointless click bait out as well!
- (2018-06-14, v:3.8) Lindsey Myers: Not blocking
Since new Google update, filter only partially works. Have to keep re-entering the same subjects until it blocks it.