Fix Google News by adding your favorite topics, locations, sources, saved searches and removing unnecessary ones from its front page
Fixer for Google News (beta) fixes the inability to customize the new Google News front page by adding and removing sections from it. All your favorite topics, sources and saved searches are being appended to the main news feed. You can choose which standard topics to remove from the feed in the extension options. You can view the source code and contribute at: https://github.com/niutech/google-news-fixer Notice: The extension is in beta stage, it is provided "as is" and it is not affiliated with Google. Google News is a trademark of Google Inc. Icon made by Oxy Nation.
- (2021-01-03) Terry Schmidt: Worthless. Does nothing. You'll never get that 5 minutes of your life back.
- (2020-08-16) Matthew Walker: I installed, but when I click on Options (for fixer) I'm asked how many stories I want, but am not shown check boxes for news categories (as is shown in the screenshot on web store), so I have no way to remove news categories. Any insights?
- (2020-04-13) maskvp mGy: Doesn't work as advertised. Only option is number of articles per subject. Seemed promising but... bleh
- (2020-04-06) Marisela Rendon: Excelent
- (2020-03-30) Slippa Onfoot: stopped working since a week ago...
- (2020-01-20) Mike B: Sadly, seems to do nothing at all. I can never get to any customization options other than the number of stories added per topic. The controls for topics are never available no matter what I try. I've carefully exhausted all options and am uninstalling it now. Too bad, looked like ti might solve the Google problem, but no-go.
- (2019-12-28) Bill Shroyer: Apparently, Google's changed something yet again so that this extension no longer works. I hope they can/want to fix it, because Google News is just SO much cr*p as it is. So many sections I have zero interest in, particularly the sports, and "Don't show stories from (example: NFL Today)" option doesn't stick, as the stories begin popping up again from that excluded source just a day or two later. Why did Google do away with the customization of their news service? WHY? (Clenched fists raised to the sky, trembling in fury)
- (2019-10-19) Moses Lawrence: Yo, this is broken...there is hardly any modifying what-so-ever. I suppose, its not the dev's fault since these browsers are always getting updated more than ever these days, which, as we all know, suddenly breaks our favorite browser addons,plugins,etc BUT LISTEN AT MY ONE BIT OF ADVICE FOR A FEATURE FOR THIS ADDON WHEN YOU FINALLY DO GET IT FIXED/UPDATED >>>>> Allow an option to change the top search bar/box from only being allowed to search for "news related" stuff only and just give us the option to change it to the regular Google Search Box permantely... You know, this is like one of the biggest BLUNDERS I've ever seen from Google Developers lol... seriously, why on earth would they make the search box at the top of Google News only able to search for news related stuff???? That's baffling, because all of us on Planet Earth would much rather just have the regular Google Search Box at the top of Google News...this way we can search for News Related stuff if we choose or go about our business and search for anything we want with the traditional Google Search Bar/Box... my goodness, how can this feature be omitted like this from developers at Google making 100k yearly? Bizarre!!!
- (2019-08-11) Douglas Wardle: Installed on Brave Browser, on which most chrome extensions work, but no evident changes. Unfortunate, as there are entire sections of Google News I would like to filter.
- (2019-08-01) Tuomas Välimäki: Doesn't work, clicking the icon does nothing.
- (2019-07-17) P Schmied: When an extension doesn't work as described, whether its because Google changed the Chrome browser or bugs, if the developer can't make it work, the extension should be removed from the Google Webstore, or the description should be updated to describe the actual functionality. This extensions does NOT work as described. It hasn't been been updated since 2018. It is not beta software in development. It is abandoned software and DOES NOT BELONG IN THIS STORE.
- (2019-06-11) Patrick ONeill: You download it. You click on it ... and nothing happens. If I could give it zero stars I would.
- (2019-05-08) Gary Volk: Does not work. Unchecked topics still show on the left and in my feed. Good idea, please make it work.
- (2019-03-31) Trent Isaacson: Not sure how to get this to work. There are no options other than to pick how many headlines per section, which is kind of pointless. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove topics/sections or add content. This extension doesn't really do anything useful.
- (2019-03-04) It's working, but all the sections I've hidden return visible after a bit and I've to open the extension settings and uncheck them again.
- (2019-02-13) Lathe Of Heaven: It DOES help some, and ANYTHING is an improvement : ) I really appreciate your time in creating this program because Google News needs F***'n something! It doesn't work all the way, but it does quite a bit. It removes the 'For You' section and most of the others that I have unchecked. The 'World' & 'Technology' sections are still there, but otherwise I THINK everything else isn't too bad. Thanks mate!
- (2019-01-27) Xylophanes: Doesn't work. After opening Google News and then opening the option popup for Fixer , there are no topics listed so no way to remove any topics.
- (2019-01-27) Rogério Neves: Doesn't seem to change anything.
- (2018-12-20) Roger Cowles: Brilliant! Now that Google finally nerfed the workaround Classic view URLs this still allows me to use Google News while not having to waste time scrolling through Sports/Entertainment and my Saved Searches are back on the main feed where they belong. Now if it could only auto-collapse the top story so I don't have space wasted on 4 nearly identical headlines for whatever our benevolent AI overlord has decided is the top story of the moment I'll be ecstatic! Thank you! Edit 20 Dec 2018: Has something changed with Google News? Even with Fixer installed and turned on and checking the options a couple of time I see Sports and Entertainment are back, yay Kardashians in my news feed again :-(, and my Saved Searches / Favourites / Subscriptions are missing from the feed.
- (2018-12-11) Uncle Mart: Google news really got dumbed down and just has no way to customize things. This extension fixes the broken new news and makes it more enjoyable. I've seen so many complaints about google news since the changes its good to know someone stood up to show google how its done!
- (2018-11-08) Godfree Roberts: I want to change my existing sections so added Fixer to Chrome's extensions On my Mac. When I click on its icon, nothing happens. What gives?
- (2018-10-15) Sys 2k: Not sure why is not more popular. Google news without this is unusable.
- (2018-10-01) Jay Cie: How is this supposed to work? Clicking the icon does nothing.
- (2018-08-25) Antonio Soto: Simple and useful.
- (2018-08-18) Natalie: So glad I no longer have to see the entertainment and for you sections. Thank you!
- (2018-07-24) Tsf Tsf: My news feed is back to "normal", or even better. I love it.
- (2018-06-28) Jenny B: I love this! Finally I don't have to read about the Kardashians or which team is playing another! Thanks, Jerzy.