Displays the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) and allows you to review similar images of planets, stars, galaxies and nebulas
UPDATE: Permission stating "Read and change all your data on all websites" has been removed. This was an error on my part which triggered this permission. Sorry for any confusion! Your New Tab page will now be the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)! Your top sites are shown in the top left of the page to maintain some usefulness from the default new tab screen. Set your APOD to show you Today's APOD a set number of times before switching to a Random APOD. Use the menu bar options to set the number of times each day you want to see the most current APOD before it starts showing Random APOD's. Each day this setting will update! APOD by The Trav has the following features: * The fastest loading APOD extension available. * Use the options in the Chrome menu bar to set "Today" or a "Random" APOD on new tab. * Save your favorite APOD's for viewing again with the "Save Favorites" button at the bottom right. * Toggle through the history of viewed images with the Left and Right arrow keys. Navigation shortcuts: * Random APOD - 'r' * Today's APOD - 't' * Previous Day APOD - 'j' * Next Day APOD - 'k' Tab Shortcuts: * Toggle Explanation - 'e' * Toggle Favorites - 'f' Permissions explanation: - TopSites Permission is simply to show you your top sites in the top left of the page. - Storage Permissions are used to save your Favorites.
- (2022-05-25) Mark Pictor: A really nice extension, and thanks to Travis for fixing the permissions issue. ---- original review ---- A really nice extension, but today I was greeted with a notification that it was disabled. To enable, I need to grant it access to read and change all data on all websites. I _hope_ this is a mistake...
- (2022-05-17) Piotr S.: Hey! Love the extension! Thank you so much. Small issue after last update the APOD that shows up in cart each time is random instead of current day. And setting page for extension doesn't load fully. Pic here: https://i.imgur.com/vwgHMAS.png
- (2022-02-04) Jocelyn C: My favorite new tab extension ever and best APOD Chrome extension out there!
- (2020-11-12) John Forde: I love this extension, it is humbling to say the least to be reminded of our significant insignificance everytime I open a new tab! Thank you!
- (2020-07-08) This is amazing! I love that you can save them as favourites and also go to the APOD image direct from the browser tab! LOVE IT! Thank you!
- (2019-04-26) Joel Wasinger: This is my current favorite new tab extension. In addition to the beauty of the backgrounds it offers (continually updated by NASA), it has a surprising array of useful features, including functions that make perusing past offerings and marking favorites a breeze. I also like that once I've viewed the HD version of an image, that becomes the default new tab view (it seems to start with the low res). Indeed, easy access to HD and NASA's descriptive text without having to visit NASA's--sorry, NASA--ugly page are a couple of my other favorite features. Great work! And thank you.
- (2019-04-02) It is AMAZING! BUT!!!! I have been searching for such a tool for my AstroGate educational YouTube channel. I found it BUT the Today button is broken! please please fix it Trav. and thank you.
- (2017-09-05) Gabriel Chiarelli: Great concept, the favorites feature was also a nice surprise. Neat and well thought-out UI preserves original new tab functionalities conveniently and elegantly.
- (2017-02-15) Tommy Chheng: Great for the space explorers in all of us. It preserves the Top Links too.
- (2017-02-04) Fernando Herrera: 5 seconds and I already love it. Good job TRAV!
- (2017-02-02) 🌌👽
- (2017-01-18) Mark Hambly: This is without a doubt not only my favorite APOD related Chrome extension but also my favorite piece of "by The Trav" software I've ever used. by The Trav is a name you can trust when it comes to pictures of space in your new tabs!
- (2022-07-16, v:4.1.2) Piotr S.: changeable "Switch from Today to Random"
Thanks for working on this addon its my fav by a long! Love being able to swap from Today to random but i really wish i could swap the number from 5 to something else, preferably completely customizable! Much love <3
- (2022-05-20, v:4.1.1) Mark Pictor: excessive permissions (still)
I left a review noting the extension had the "read and change all sites" permission (somehow didn't see the support tab). You responded that 4.1.1 would remove that, but when I updated, the extension still required that permission. Uninstall/reinstall did not fix it either. Hopefully this isn't some sort of "sticky" extension permission that, once enabled, cannot be revoked...
- (2021-07-19, v:3.5.5) Joel Wasinger: save (and/or share?) favorites
Again, great extension that I literally use ever time I'm online. :-) Also, stable, with just the right mix of functionality (truly, thanks for not making it too busy). I'm on three workstations regularly for work and have profiles on several others. Our org has blocked my ability to sync my chrome profile among devices, so if favorites are shared that way, it doesn't help me and if you were to implement it that way, I'd be happy for others but without personal joy. I don't even know what would be the best solution, but I'd love some way to sync up or just copy and paste (maybe even edit the list of) my favorites from one PC to another. If it's all just stored in a file I can access, I'd welcome tips for managing it. Thanks!
- (2020-11-12, v:3.5.2) John Forde: NASA APOD error
FYI: getting NASA APOD error recently
- (2020-06-10, v:3.5.2) David Coble: "only show today" seems to be broken.
It was working yesterday, broken today.
- (2019-10-28, v:3.1.2) AstroGate بوابة الفضاء: Hi Trav, Can't save Fav.
Hi Trav, this is me again, Rami from AstroGate channel. I am having a hard time saving the APOD as favorite after the last update. I hope there is an easy fix for that. and I hope there would be a Hi-Res download direct link. or maybe allowing to organize the fav in folders or assign labels to them; that would be just perfect. thank you again for your amazing work. All respect and love from a Syrian in this Pale Blue Dot. Rami Emad AstroGate
- (2019-04-26, v:2.4.2) Joel Wasinger: Stuck on random
Before I say anything else: I used to use a different APOD new tab extension, but I've loved yours ever since I found it and keep finding new reasons to appreciate it. Thank you. Recently I noticed that each new tab loads up with a random day. While this is kind of a cool feature, I prefer always starting with the current date and I can't find a way to change the "always random" behavior. Is there a way to change this? Or is my system somehow broken (this is conceivable, because I'm in a filtered environment that seems always to be changing)? How do I get back to seeing today's APOD without having to specifically request it? The perfect system would start--maybe the first 6 or so (even better, a configurable number) tabs--with today and then go random. And/or maybe the go random could be a switch (could just replace the current link, but be on/off instead of just loading a new page). Another indirectly related option would let us manually check off previous dates as we ingest them. Anyway, it may just be my OCD, and I still love the extension, but any help with the "today" behavior would be appreciated. Thanks!
- (2019-04-02, v:2.3.3) Today gives random images!
I really really LOVE your extension. Just please fix the Today button as it is the most important thing in APOD, and it gives random images! Thank you,
- (2018-04-30, v:2.2) MasterHW: New permissions
Hello! Love the extension. Starting a few days ago the extension now asks to "Read and change all your data on the websites you visit" and "Read and change your browsing history". What is the meaning of these new (invasive) permissions?
- (2017-09-06, v:1.5.3) Samuel Hollifield: Extension needs 'repaired'
Hello, I was trying to use your Chrome extension. FWIW I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 using Chrome browser. When I enter a new-tab, the APOD begins to load but closes out and gives me the default 'new tab' page. On the extension settings, it says the extension needs repaired. Once I click repair, it does the same thing. I uninstalled/reinstalled with the same result. Just wanted to let you know!