This extension launches the Goobric web app, a rubric based assessment tool that works with the Doctopus Add-on for Google Sheets.
To be used in tandem with the Doctopus Add-on for Google Sheets, the Goobric web app enables flexible, efficient rubric-based grading of Google Drive resources (Documents, Presentations, Spreadsheets, Folders, etc.) Doctopus is a popular assignment distribution and management tool available from any Google Sheet from the Add-ons menu->just search the Add-ons store for "Doctopus." The Goobric web app provides teachers a handy assessment toolbar -- in the same browser tab as the Google Drive assignment being evaluated! -- that includes a clickable scoring tool tied to any grid-style rubric, comments, and audio-comments recording. Submitted scores can be auto-emailed to students, pasted into the bottom of a Google Document, and are automatically transferred to the Google Sheet that holds your assignment roster. Includes "Back" and "Next" buttons that allow teachers to efficiently advance through a batch of student assignments, all without leaving the same browser tab. Rubrics should be built as a simple spreadsheet grid. They can be of any dimension or content. Headers can be integer scores (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, ... or ...4,3,2,1) -OR- text descriptors (e.g. Developing, Meets, Exceeds) starting in column 2 and skills/competencies must be in rows, with skill titles in column 1. History of updates: Update 1.20 (11.12.13) Fixes broken "Email rubric scores to student" feature. V1.22 includes compatibility with Add-ons version of Doctopus V1.23 helps users better understand why "No rubric associated..." error is happening for multi-account sign on and how to fix. V1.25 Adds persistence (local storage) of rubric scores so you can click out of the Goobric without losing your work. Woot! V1.28 Fixes problem with rubrics not being found for student assignment files type: New Google Sheet V1.29 Adds the ability to use non-numeric rubric scores, adds clickability to rubric cells for faster scoring V1.30 Should fix issue of misaligned scores arising when numeric rubric scores were listed in descending order from right to left. V1.31 Minor fixes around issues related to zero scores in numeric rubrics V1.32 Aesthetic and usability improvements to UI - smaller fonts, tighter spacing, better scroll behavior V1.34 Minor tweak to ui behavior V1.35 Fixes to allow Doctopus-assigned folders to be graded via rubric from folder view V1.36 Adds persistent back and next links to the bottom button panel to allow for partial grading workflows V1.37 Fixes UI overflow issue with group projects. Minor tweaks to labels. V1.38 Minor bug fix V1.39 Adds optional new Goobric web app functionality V1.40 + 1.41 Minor but fixes V1.42 Adds non-numeric rubric functionality to new Goobric web app V2.0 Goobric extension icon now directly launches web app. Goodbye trusty extension popup, you've served us well... V2.2 Oof! Fixed broken icon links... small potatoes. V2.3 Replaced default gif icon with png in effort to solve reported icon disappearance for Windows users. V2.4 Can't remember what changed -- probably a small bug fix V2.5 Minor tweak to make Goobric eye also show up for Drive video projects
- (2019-02-20) Can you add comment boxes that are specific to each criterion, at the end of each row, to somehow justify the score per criterion, in addition to a general comment box?
- (2018-03-22) Pamela Weinstein: Used to love it, but now it is so slow. I have almost all essays done, but can't really get to the rest. Don't know what I will do. Please fix yourself, Goobric!
- (2018-03-19) Lisa Douglas: I have used this for a couple of years now. Currently. when I hit submit after assessing a student's work, I will get the following error: Uh oh (my login info is here) It appears you don't have access to this student file. This can happen if you're using multi-account login, or if a student deletes or unshares you on a file you don't own. Try logging out of all accounts and logging back into the Google account you used to create this assignment. When I logout and login again I continue to get the same problem.
- (2018-03-13) Christine Jankul-Tavchar: Loved the efficiency and ability to email marks as well as keep all originals so that I can resend at any time, however Gobric has hit a strange snag. First time I used it (2 months ago) it worked very well. Now, after I hit submit or next, or prev), the page never loads. I have to open all the assignments in different tabs and mark them that way. Each time I hit submit, the pages loads indefinitely. The marks do get transferred back to the Google Sheet, so no data seems to be lost but it is troubling...
- (2017-10-25) Johaan Ryberg: This web launcher no longer works. Every time the extension is clicked on it loops back to the extension store. Very confused and frustrated. Lots of essays to grade this weekend.
- (2017-06-02) Sarah Jackson: On the one hand, it has made my life so much easier. However: 1) I co-teach all of my classes and the person who is the "main teacher" is the only one who can update the "new submissions" very frustrating when we set up from one account together, but take turns grading assignments. 2) Have to hit "SUM" to total columns. Yes, I know how to do this, but I feel like with all the other background magic, this would be an easy addition. 3) I am sometimes frustrated that all rows must be weighted equally. We have found some work arounds, but I would love a little magic that would let us change the weight of a single row.
- (2017-04-04) Alfonso Cano: Es muy útil para agilizar el proceso de evaluación.
- (2017-03-01) Ana-Maria Branea: Amazing!
- (2016-10-24) Frank Stonehouse: I can't live without Doctopus and Goobric now. I have been using them both for a couple years. I do have one substantive comment concerning Goobric. I work in Mexico as an English teacher, and I give training sometimes to other teachers. We set up a paid teacher-training session that went well for Doctopus, but fell-through on Goobric, as it does not function properly if the user has their Google account language set to Spanish. The control Google Sheet returns a error code in the Goobric assess document link column, which means then that the teacher cannot use Goobric at all. We swithed their Google account profile settings to "English" as a language and it worked then. However, these teachers will reset their language preference to Spanish after the training. I recommend that since Doctopus works perfectly in whatever language is established in a user's Google account profile, that Goobric code be tweaked to also accommodate other default languages. Thanks!
- (2016-09-30) Russell Timothy: Setup is very counterintuitive,and the instructions are not helpful. I should not have to wait for a tech guy to help me set it up.
- (2016-04-06) Monica Weeks: The only suggestion I could make is that it would be helpful to have a total or % score option. I am required to give numerical grades and hand-calculating slows me down.
- (2016-04-04) Sharanda Payseur: For what I need, this script is fantastic. I love being able to easily add rubrics to essays and record my audio.
- (2016-03-02) Joseph Teague: It will change your teaching life. Imagine cutting down your paper load, while making sure that students (and parents) can always see your scores and feedback. This will accomplish both of those things.
- (2016-02-26) Queen A: This was truly a BLESSING !
- (2015-11-25) John Richards: Great for a teacher but since they began converting the audio files to MP3, there is up to a :30 sec wait time to upload the audio. Since the audio is usually the last thing that gets completed, it can make for a long session in assessing projects.
- (2015-09-30) Guðmundur Friðgeir Guðmundsson: Eitthvað það magnaðasta tól sem hef notað með Google Classroom. Mæli eindregið með því að þeir sem eru að nota Classroom í kennslu sæki þetta. Auðveldar lífið á allann hátt.
- (2015-09-24) Kathy Brisentine: This has allowed me a lot of freedom from the grueling task of printing rubrics and filling them in to give to students. Goobric is incredibly user friendly and works well with Doctopus. I am working on getting other teachers in my department to download Goobric to use as an alternative to paper rubrics. Thanks for such a great product!
- (2015-09-09) Dr. RIZWAN PATAN: good
- (2015-05-25) Sherwin Lai: Awesome extension. But I ran into a problem today: it won't load! Please help . . .
- (2015-05-24) Kumu Ka'i'iniakapu'uwai Parker: Canʻt thank Goobric enough for this app. As a 21st century Language Arts educator, this app is essential. I am not sure if this feature is available, however, I know it is something my students and I would find to be valuable: A feature that allows students to SEE the attached goobric and perhaps make a student evaluation prior to grading. This would give the student an opportunity to self-evaluate and assess areas they need to improve using the rubric. WOULD LOVE THIS!! :D
- (2015-05-21) G Sharp: As a teacher of I.T. this is a great help to me on a regular basis and anyone who marks online should find it most helpful. Thank you so much, especially in conjunction with Doctopus.
- (2015-04-10) Keith Mc Koy: This is by far the best academic tool that I have used in 15 years in the classroom. I can't express how grateful I am for such an awesome application.
- (2015-02-10) Irena Bielicka: Absolutely love it! It gives students much better feedback and keeps them engaged in the correction process! Thank you, Andrew Stillman!
- (2015-02-01) Brian Worthington: Amazing tool. Thank you for making such a great app for teachers.
- (2015-01-21) Juan Carlos Baena: Excelente herramienta para calificar trabajos en base a rúbricas
- (2019-12-09, v:2.5) Chris Bond: Goobric for students
Hi, I'm a teacher whp has been using your goobric app for a few years to assess students work. This year I'm trying to use the goobric for students app, but am running into problems. I uploaded a goobric for my student's work using classroom where I used doctupus (sp?) to ingest their work from classroom and then upload the rurbic through that app. The students received the e-mail asking them to activate the chrome extension which they did and then they went into their document and did not see the "authorize extension" button which was supposed to show up. We (the students and I working together) theorized this may have been because they did not have edit rights since they had turned in their work through classroom - so they unsubmitted their document and there was still no button. We can see the goobric eye in the list of extensions which means it was uploaded successfully. Do you have any thoughts as to what we will need to do to use this great tool? Thanks so much for all you do - the extension is very helpful. Best, Chris Bond World History Teacher - West Windsor Plainsboro HS North
- (2019-11-02, v:2.5) Sandeep Kundra: How to create a rubric that applied to multiple items.
Hi: I have an assignment that is submitted as Google slides. There is introductory information (1 criteria); followed by 8 slides that are biographies of people. How do I create a rubric for Goobric that repeats is used for each of the 8 slides? Thanks SK
- (2019-10-21, v:2.5) Janet McDonough: Doctopus & Goobric
After I select a class, it won't load. I have tried both at home and at school in case there was an internet issue. Can someone help me troubleshoot?
- (2019-10-16, v:2.5) Shawn Thompson: Audio comments
When I leave audio comments, the file extension will say things like .m4a_1 or .wav_1, but will come up as .txt files. Please advise, I would like to leave voice comments.
- (2019-10-06, v:2.5) Jeff Holcomb: Need an Add On
Maybe of interest-- I write a lot of "worksheets" in google docs and want a fast way to post these as assignments to my classes. Something along the lines of a command in the "File" menu that says "Post as Assignment in Google Classroom" which when triggered shows a list of my classes and allows me to post with the worksheet as an attachment. Maybe you know someone who is interested in putting something like this together? TY
- (2019-10-03, v:2.5) Laura Cunradi: error message
When I try to add a Goobric, it says "Error: Rubrics cannot have duplicate skills or categories in the leftmost column." The rubric seemed to work last year. There is nothing wrong with the leftmost column. I tried adding a column and deleting it, which didn't change anything. It prompted me to create another Goobric, which I did by copy/pasting the text from the old one, and that worked. But what a waste of time. And why didn't it work the first time?
- (2019-09-18, v:2.5) Heather Walzer: Doctopus & Rubric for student viewing
I am running Doctopus with Goobric through a Google Classroom assignment. I have followed all of the steps to ingest and attach the rubric. Although I can see the rubric flawlessly, my students cannot see anything other than their original google doc. What step am I missing? How do I show the students the rubric within their documents?
- (2019-08-05, v:2.5) Alicia j Hollander: Audio Comment File?
I notice that when I submit audio comments, they are "uploaded to Drive" and they appear within my "Recent" files folder. That said, those files are not on my Drive at all, so whose Drive are they being uploaded to and who has access to them?
- (2019-06-21, v:2.5) Evan Gentler: Goobrioc won't launch
Running Mojave on a Macbook Pro. Chrome browser is most recent version. I can use the spreadsheet created by Doctopus to access the script.google.com version of a student's work with the rubric at the top. That's great, but if I open the student's work directly from Google Classroom or Drive, and I click the Goobric icon in the Chrome menu bar, nothing happens. It prompts to 'remove' or 'hide' the extension, but clicking the icon does NOT load the rubric. I'd really like to access the work from Google Classroom and then just click the Goobric icon to have it load the rubric. Why can't I do this? I've seen others do it on YouTube, but it is not working for me, and I can't find any troubleshooting or documentation about it. The other teacher piloting this at my school has the same issue, so I know it isn't just me. Thanks!
- (2019-06-18, v:2.5) Jamie Mack: Error message
I have both the Doctopus and Goobric add-ons. However, after I populate the spreadsheet with my roster, I cannot access the "Goobric Link." The entire column lists "Error" so I cannot grade the assignment. I am using an example rubric to grade the assignment, so it's not because my rubric is not supported.