Replace your new tab with the weather and a todolist displayed over a popular image from Reddit.
Surge is a simplistic new tab page designed to integrate seamlessly into your daily workflow. Set a custom background image or have Surge select one for you from a Reddit subreddit or multireddit of your choice. Check your personalized the time, date, and weather, and keep yourself on track with the built-in to-do list. Surge also features a custom search bar that can query different websites based on your input to help speed up your searches. Features: • Custom search bar that searches different websites based on input • User-settable background image • Automatically updating background image from subreddit or multireddit source • Built-in and user-customizable themes • To-do list • Weather • Draggable Time and Date • Quick access to Chrome Apps • Material Design inspired styling ** Please note that after updating to version 2.0, you may have to reset your background image! ** What's New Version 2.0 • New Feature: Select City By ZIP Code (Set your weather location by entering the ZIP code of your city) • New Feature: Show/Hide Temperature Decimal Places (Toggle between between a more accurate or more simplistic temperature view) • Implemented cache layer to improve background update speed and reliability • Improved performance, efficiency, and scalability • Please note that you may have to reset your background image after this update Version 1.4: • New Feature: Set Background Image Update Interval (Choose how often your background image will automatically update from the settings page) • Improved new user experience with additional save/home buttons on the settings page Version 1.3: • New Feature: Main Card Styling and Themes (Switch between the built-in themes or create a custom theme of your own in settings) • Added card styling and wallpaper preview to the settings page Version 1.2: • New Feature: "Ahoy!" - A Better Search Bar (Search Google by default, or type a keyword before your query to search that site instead) • Improved performance Version 1.1: • New Feature: Draggable clock (Click and drag the clock to move it around; reset its position in settings) • Improved new user experience with increased emphasis on configurables • Added more salient cues to improve user awareness of committed actions
- (2021-06-10) Zekie: Good configuration options but I would however like a method to change the new tab name from "Surge"
- (2020-02-20) Joan Flowers: I love the idea of the personalized wallpaper from reddit
- (2019-05-06) Wojtek Grabowski ''Grabaż'': I need biggest window i this tab. I need large window
- (2018-01-28) Bj L: 1/18 I'm having so much problems with this and just a couple tweaks would make it better! first of all the reddit option for pictues is horrible 1) it won't rotate.. it's been stuck on one pic for 2 days now 2) when it was working and rotating, the pics on that site are utter crap.. and i've done an extensive search for reddit wallpaper.. they are pretty bad - Our other option is to use a pic url - but ppl don't want us drawing traffic to their site just so we can use their url to show a pic on surge.. please give us an option to simply upload a pic from our files - if i'm going to be stuck with just one pic i'd like it to be one of my choosing Old review: Doesn't work well. No rotating pics, u have to pick one and stay with it. It will NOT accurately show my weather no matter how many times i try and reset it - it's 26 degrees off! Also not easy to setup- i had to dump it and re instal to try and get new settings I wanted.. not a good product at all - geeshe fix the weather, allow us to enter our zip code, make the edit page easier,, and if you could make it rotate pics it would be a much better app. i was using skyinc and loved it but their site suddenly went down today so i was trying something new.. i wouldn't even mind a small (small!) ad in the corner so the creator can profit off its downloads.. but overall this is not working..
- (2018-01-10) Jonathan la Cour: Possibly the best of the new tab extensions. It could be improved some, however: - The title of the new tab should be "New Tab" instead of "Surge." - Ability to set a background color instead of an image. For now, I just use a data URI of a pixel. - Show the weather forecast as is available through the OpenWeatherMap API. - Ability to lock the position of the clock.
- (2017-06-13) Dmitry Oskin: Very nice extension. Thanks, guy. Just a quick question (if you read this:) : is there any chance to make it a default for the incognito mode? Checking the button on the setting on the Chrome extension page does't help ...
- (2017-04-05) Lorenzo Bonari: Perfect, this is what I was looking for. Simple, elegant, customisable and without useless clutter floating around the page.
- (2017-01-29) Thomas Raukamp: One of the most elegant new tab extensions around. Love the minimalistic design. 'Apps' tab doesn't work on Chromebooks though. Would be perfect if you fix it :)
- (2017-01-25) Does exactly what it says, looks great, and doesn't need a thousand permissions! Surprisingly good, and blows away the competition.
- (2016-12-07) Elisha Dessurne: Love this extension, keep my browser open always for it. But would be great if a calendar tile could be added to my home page ??
- (2016-04-08) Talitha O'Connor: a minimalist extension that lets me have changing beautiful nature backgrounds, AND doesn't use yahoo's weather API (important because australian weather is always wrong on yahoo) Absolutely wonderful! The only suggestion I'd have is to be able to set the interval for automatic picture change.
- (2016-03-23) Joe Yang: this is without a doubt the finest chrome extension with a name related to electricity i have ever seen in my entire life
- (2016-03-01) Philos Tsai: This extension is SO BEAST, everything I want. Smooth, lightweight, customizable, what else could you ask for? Highly recommend!
- (2016-01-11) iPxter: Perfect 10/10 Would Use Again. :D
- (2015-12-22) Zheng Fang: Good little tool. It will be better to have city name hints during typing. And maybe some transparency on the clock box could look better, too.
- (2015-12-22) Robin Dindayal: Love it!
- (2015-12-21) Kenny Chan: Bless! This is amazing!
- (2015-12-15) Keiming Kwong: Very nice and thought out design, this makes the most out of a new tab. I believe that there is room to grow as personally, it will be much better if there is a way to customize it so I can see top 2 custom apps or pages on the bottom as well. That said, it is well deserving of the 4 stars and will work well for many people.
- (2015-12-14) Rishi Goel: 10/10 would recommend
- (2015-12-14) Gordon Duzhou: Amazing. I love it. Highly recommended. 5/5
- (2015-12-14) Michael Hui: Replaced Momentum with this :D
- (2015-12-14) Jacob Chan: The designed workflow of this application was very well thought out and executed. The to do system is also very smooth and non-disruptive, creating a clean, organized look of my new New Tab page. 5/5 would use again.
- (2015-12-14) Rareș Gosman: The mans who makes this extension is a top-notch designer. A tip of the hat to you sir.
- (2015-12-14) chris zhang: Just amazing design, a lot of features (like setting custom background) that other more popular extensions don't support.
- (2015-12-14) Victoria C-C: Best dashboard on the market, I love how you can have gifs as backgrounds!