Want to be productive? Let the Productivity Owl guide you to accomplishment.
*** WARNING: This extension is very annoying. The owl is flying across your pages, annoying you, criticizing you, giving you psychological exercises, and closing your tabs. If you are not serious about being productive, this extension may not be for you.*** Do you need a new boss when working from home? Meet the Productivity Owl. The owl is very strict. He will berate and mock you. You'll be forced to complete tasks to earn break time. If you do consistent work, use the timeboxing scheduler for work/vacation, and complete the owl's psychological exercises then you might be able to earn the owl's respect. Just like the first version, the owl has 3 types of websites: Allowed, Blocked and Countdown. If a website is not on the allowed/blocked lists, you'll get a certain amount of time to get the information you need before the owl closes the tab. You can still use the scheduler to schedule free-time, and now you can also schedule work time. Version 2.0 introduced a task manager, and you get rewarded break minutes for each task you complete. There are also psychological interventions and browsing statistics in this version. Although it is technically possible to earn the owl's respect - it's highly unlikely. The owl is very judgmental. It may take years before anyone earns the owl's "ultimate respect." Of course if you uninstall the extension or disable it, all respect is lost. *************** APACHE 2.0 LICENSE OPEN SOURCE *************** Since this extension is on every webpage you visit, I wanted to let everyone know there are NO TRACKERS or DATA COLLECTORS in the owl. The owl is 100% open source. You can view the source code on Github: https://github.com/mrieck/productivityowl *Thanks to everyone who has been using the Productivity Owl over the years. He's been helping me be productive for the last 8 years. Hope he can help you too.
- (2020-12-17) Wiljan Linders: De uil is streng, de uil heeft humor, de productivity owl is geweldig
- (2020-12-17) terepy: Very useful for people like me who both have ADHD and are very good with computers! if i were to try and use an application that forces me off of the distraction, i can always just remove it. even ones made specifically to be extremely hard to remove while on block! but this one just gently reminds me in a way where i find it useful. the respect function is also motivating! best productivity app ive used.
- (2020-12-17) Lucas Bohn Gass: Great work on the 2.0! Very useful and helpful, thank you very much!
- (2020-12-07) Celeste Medina: It's great! Honestly I love everything about it, it was exactly what i needed. The only problem is that no matter what I do, sometimes it doesn't block certain websites (i don't know why it doesn't block twitter but it's fine, it isn't like i use it as much). Also, I don't know to increase my respect level!! It's a bit disappointing, but anyway. Apart from that, it's amazing!
- (2020-10-21) Vladimir BoB Belyaev: Very useful thing. I recommend this plugin
- (2020-08-21) Uday Waghmare: Greate extension, fits exactly what I was looking for. Great options to customize schedule. Helps me keep focused rather than surfing garbage during work hours.
- (2020-08-05) Fernando Palácio: Não nos deixa na mão
- (2020-07-27) Nayara Ferreira: é bom se você que se manter focado, porém tem um problema.Toda vez que eu vou imprimir algo aparece FREETIME na folha de impressão cortando o que eu queria imprimir. Tá bem irritante esse erro.
- (2020-07-10) Marcio Junio: Muito Bom, útil demais!
- (2020-03-16) Heather Ross: Have I really never reviewed this extension before? I've used it on and off for years now. I *love* it!! I mainly use it to keep myself from getting distracted while working on my novels, which means that I haven't actually used it much the past year while going through a huge writer's block. I also don't use it constantly or really use the 'free time' feature, when I'm done working for awhile I just turn the extension off. Which I guess could be an easy way to 'cheat' as well, but I've never turned it off for that. I used a few writing-productivity extensions before finding the Owl and this one actually worked for me! In fact roughly 90k words of a specific novel were written while this Owl was blocking things! I see a lot of reviews talk about the aggressiveness of this extension as a bad thing, but isn't that kinda the whole point of the Owl? Seems like this extension is specifically made for hardcore procrastinators that other milder options haven't worked for. I guess it could get frustrating trying to figure out how to research school or work related things if you need to open a lot of random sites, but I only have about 5-6 writing-related websites that I need so I just put those in the 'allowed' box.
- (2020-03-15) 黃伊平: I am so happy to finally find an extension that suits my needs after spending so much time looking for one. Thanks for Productivity Owl team!
- (2020-02-28) themighty phone: Afer using it for a while I have a few suggestions. If you whitelist a certain website that you need for work it doesn't automatically whitelist all the subdomains and you have to manually whitelist them which is not practical at all. Also, the maximum time allowed is to big I can just set it to 2000000 seconds and the owl will just sit there. Also there should be a settings lock option for the biggest procrastinators :)
- (2019-11-18) sun king: I like it! it's simple but i like when i type the blocked site. the owl comes up with image and says go back work. i wish it also has some sound that can be added or customized. so it can be some alarming and also bigger reminder that i am wasting time one web surfing. ^^ just a small suggestion.
- (2019-10-16) Tomáš Vician: Error handling response: ReferenceError: respsonse is not defined at chrome-extension://eoagmdboiealblmpaahjlhajggndaahi/contentscript.js:128:7 Edit: still not fixed
- (2019-09-27) Gregorio Praciano: I really liked all the idea and concept, and it's working very fine. The only thing that bothers me is I don't find an option to hide the owl that appears on right down corner showing me that "FREETIME" everytime, or the seconds that are left on given site. I'm then forced to block the owl when I need to reach certain site because that bothers me very much, thus reducing its usefulness since I don't remember to turn it on everytime. tl;dr: is there any way to hide the owl that appears in the right down corner?
- (2019-09-12) Austin Haspany: Kind of works. Blocks most websites but wont block 4chan. I tried putting every combination of url that 4chan uses but still refuses to block it.
- (2019-08-28) Casaira: Lacks an option to have the owl timer working only on certain websites.
- (2019-08-27) Vince Paul: I'm giving it a four, so as not to gush. Initial impressions I like it. The owl gives me a bit of warning, it is ominous, and it reminds me that I don't need to be spending this time on most if not any of these sites. I don't feel that it is stopping more than making me aware. I guess to this owl I look like a mouse in a field who has spent too much time sitting still in the open. It may be a primal instinct that makes this effective. On another note I have also noticed it seems to be in an anti-desperation mode as the timer decreases when I reopen a tab - usually for a legitimate reason, knowing that I can finish my business and get out. Okay I am adjusting downward to a three, more like a 3.5 however it would be a 4.5 if only the "anti-desperation mode" switch worked. It seems to be on no matter how the switch is selected. And it looks like we're years in between updates. Oh well. Five stars and a sandwich for the dev if this issue is addressed. Would also be good to have a quick ad button so we don't have to keep copy pasting to allow sites we need to keep open.
- (2019-08-08) Christoffer Brobäck: Love it!, super cute! realy helps me stay focused
- (2019-07-17) Henry Adams: I looked through the code, and I'm pretty sure you will never gain respect ever. Other than that, this is the best productivity app I've found. I used a much more popular and polished one for a few minutes until I realized it couldn't be customized the way the Owl can.
- (2019-05-14) Emily Richardson: excellent app, and i figure i'll find it very helpful when i get used to it. one tiny problem- on my conmputer screen, you can see everything else on the homepage, but not the save button, so it took me a very long time to discover it. obviously a very niche problem, and this is a pretty old computer, but it would be helpful if you could put the save button at the top to save people the headache. thanks, love the app :)
- (2019-05-11) Rachana Kapadia: fantastics
- (2018-12-20) Ryan wallage: it sucks!!!! no wikipedia and a student can hack it supereasy
- (2018-11-27) Nelson Wang: Love in first sight
- (2018-11-04) Jan Heriban: I love this thing! Make me productive ane is extremely time saving :)
- (2018-10-30) Cristian Negraia: Good concept, not working. It started closing pages by itself. Not pages that I set as denied but random pages. Deleting it now.
- (2018-10-08) Nicholas Bridgemohan: I've never written a review for an app here, but i really love this! Really does what i need it to do
- (2018-07-07) Be Kind: Afrontosa ela haha adorei, não deixa passar uma mesmo.
- (2018-03-21) Lu L: Acabo de comenzar y puedo decir que sin duda da muy buena impresión, aunque...
- (2018-03-16) Deepika Fernando: I hated the fact that one have to set up a white list of websites. I may spent time of various websites due to work/study. And these sites may differ according to the project that I'm working on. It was annoying to add every work/study site to a owl's white list. I'd atleast do it if that was something easy to do. Everytime you want to add a site to a white list, you have to oepn the app and add it. That is the only reason I'm giving it a star. Although it is just one reason, that one reason was enough for me to remove the app from my Chrome after about an hour. I mean, how would you feel if owl closes down every site that you go for work/study purposes? PS : I personally think that only a blocked list of sites would be enough to make an extension like this work
- (2018-03-07) N L: Love the sarcasm. To be honest, that's what really motivates me! :)
- (2018-03-03) Bryan Patrick Music: CUMPLE SU FUNCION DEMASIADO BIEN Y TE DA RISA JAJAJAJAJA
- (2018-02-12) Olivier Herzog: Very good extension , do what i needed to be more productive !
- (2018-01-17) Ankur Gupta: the OWL on the lower corner do not let me zoom out on the google map site very annoying need option to shift it to any location i want. for the time being disabling it.
- (2017-12-25) Bryce Gray: This is the worst thing ever!!!! remove it from my computer
- (2017-12-01) Matthew Hubbell: The theory behind it is great. And I think for people that only *need* a handful of websites, it is ideal. But having to add in every single individual website that you'll ever need to access for legitimate reasons (school, side projects, etc) is obnoxious. It's a massive time sink trying to do this, and I think that kills the whole point of it. Again, for the right person, it could be helpful. But for most students that need a large variety of sites to access, from several news sites to course blogs and online instructional websites and the five different domains my university uses for various features, it's a huge hassle to get everything set. But this isn't just to complain. My suggestion is that instead of requiring people to add in every single site they need, just leave the "Manage sites" section to 'blocked sites' and then 'blocked keywords'. Stuff like that would achieve the same purpose without infuriating someone that needs to do extensive research for each assignment in each class, or someone that earns their living from researching and writing.
- (2017-11-04) Rui Gonc: Perfeito !
- (2017-10-04) Bonnie Eatmon: Perfect for what I needed (School Work). Thanks!
- (2020-07-29, v:1.3) Pedro Ferraz: Having some trouble because the owl is not blocking the twitter
I already wrote twitter.com on the blocked websites but it is not working
- (2020-07-27, v:1.3) Nayara Ferreira: Printing stuff
Everytime I try to print something it will print FREETIME with it cutting the text or images. Pretty annoying for me especially because I'm always printing texts
- (2019-08-28, v:1.3) Vince Paul: anti-desperation mode always on.
anti-desperation mode always on. ignores user setting. Hey I know you are probably aware of this. Plus I guess this is low priority and its hard to keep up with chrome updates. But if you could just take a peek into the code and see if it's just a matter of replacing a single value...
- (2018-09-16, v:1.3) Melina Martin: Productivity Owl for Mozilla
Hi. I've tried your Owl with Google Chrome and I really liked it. I'm more of a Mozilla Firefox user though. Do you think you will ever make this extension available for other browsers ?
- (2018-08-09, v:1.3) Ryan Odom: "Work-Related" Buttom
I wish there was a "Work-Related" button next to the Owl when I'm on a webpage. I often Google things for work and I don't want the Owl to close the tab. I know it seems counterintuitive to have a productivity extension to help keep from wasting time and a button that lets me prevent the extension from working because why have the Owl to begin with, right? I can get around the Owl by copying the address I need to be on into the allowed websites, but that's an even bigger time waster.
- (2018-06-27, v:1.3) Alexander Jewett: 11:45PM to 12 AM
Why can I not schedule free time between 11:45pm and midnight. No matter what I try, always get < X Error End time must be AFTER start time. > Please provide a fix. Thanks!
- (2018-06-09, v:1.3) Raphael Nazirullah: OWL closes other tabs
I'm used to keeping multiple tabs open. When I'm working on one tab, OWN closes other tabs as well, even though they were opened once, but then I switch to another tab. Timer of tabs should pause when they're not being viewed.
- (2018-05-04, v:1.3) Facebook vs business.facebook
Hi I´d like to block facebook.com but not business.facebook.com (used for work) I hope you can make something for it, thanks.
- (2018-04-30, v:1.3) Benji Sky: personalised message
I would love to personalise the message that is displayed when a site is blocked
- (2018-04-26, v:1.3) the add on won´t get off the laptop
the add on won´t get off the laptop
- (2018-04-19, v:1.3) Scott M Stolz: Additional Options
I love the concept, but the problem is that some of us actually use a lot of websites for our research and we can't possibly whitelist them all in advance. Perhaps you can add an option where the first time you visit a website, it asks if this is work/school related or not, and your answer determines whether it is whitelisted or not. That way we can build the list of blocked and whitelisted websites as we go along, instead of having to create the list first.
- (2018-03-05, v:1.3) Uninstall
How do I uninstall this?