Save a complete web page (as curently displayed) as a single HTML file that can be opened in any browser.
CHANGES Version 20.2 • Toolbar button badge now displays 'LAZ' during lazy loads phase. • 'Shrink page to force lazy loads ...' option replaces 'Scroll page to force lazy loads ...' option. • Renamed 'Purge elements hidden by ...' option to become 'Remove elements hidden by ...' option. • New option to 'Rehide elements hidden by page or extensions' (such as ad blockers). • Can now specify multiple URLs in command line when using automation with 'Save Selected Tabs'. • All URLs in URL list are now saved when using automation with 'Save Listed URLs'. OVERVIEW Save Page WE provides a simple facility to save a web page (as currently displayed) as a single HTML file that can be opened in any browser. The saved page is a highly accurate representation of the original page. Multiple pages can be saved either by selecting multiple tabs or by loading a list of page URLs. Save Page WE is implemented using the WebExtensions API and is available for both Firefox and Chrome with identical functions and user interfaces. If used with Print Edit WE, Save Page WE now requires Print Edit WE 26.1 or later for full compatibility. OPTIONS PAGE The Save Page WE Options page can be accessed as follows: • Firefox - Right-click on the toolbar button, select Manage Extension, click on the ••• button and select Options. • Chrome - Right-click on the toolbar button, and then select Options. TOOLBAR BUTTON After installation of Save Page WE, there will be a new blue 'floppy-disk' button on the main toolbar. To save the web pages in all of the currently selected tabs file, just click on the Save Page WE toolbar button. There is are options to set the button action as: • Save Selected Tabs (Basic, Standard or Custom Items) • Save Listed URLs (Basic, Standard or Custom Items) There is an option to prompt the user to enter comments when saving the file. There is an option to use the old save method, as used in Version 18.0 or earlier. There is an option to always show the 'Save As' dialog box when saving a page. If this option is not enabled, the 'Save As' dialog box will only be shown if the Chrome 'Downloads' option is set to 'Ask where to save each file before downloading'. There are options to specify the format of the saved file name. See the 'Saved File Name' section below. By default the saved HTML file will have a '.html' extension. CONTEXT MENU & BUTTON MENU To save a web page as an HTML file, or to perform operations on a previously saved page, right-click on the page contents to open the context menu, select the 'Save Page WE' sub-menu, and then select one of the menu items: • Save Selected Tabs (Basic, Standard or Custom Items) • Save Listed URLs (Basic, Standard or Custom Items) • View Saved Page Info • Remove Resource Loader • Extract Image/Audio/Video • Cancel Save Alternatively, right-click on the Save Page WE toolbar button to open the button menu, and then select one of the menu items. There is an option to show/hide the Save Page WE submenu item on the context menu. Note, the 'Remove Resource Loader' menu item is only shown when viewing a page saved by Save Page WE 15.1 or earlier. Note, the 'Extract Image/Audio/Video' menu item is only shown on the context menu when right-clicking on images in saved pages. KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS To save a web page as an HTML file, press Alt+A. To cancel a single or multiple page save, press Alt+C. SAVING MULTIPLE PAGES There are two ways to save multiple pages: • Highlight multiple tabs and then select the 'Save Selected Tabs' menu item. • Load a file containing a list of URLs in the Zoom Page WE Options dialog and then select the 'Save Listed URLs' menu item. When saving multiple pages, tabs are switched to foreground if the force lazy load option is enabled. SAVED ITEMS Save Basic Items - saves these items: • HTML elements • HTML image files (currently displayed) • HTML canvas graphics • CSS style sheets • CSS image files (currently displayed) • CSS font files (used by this browser) Save Standard Items - saves the Basic Items and these items: • HTML image files (all) • HTML audio & video files • HTML object & embed files • CSS font files (woff for any browser) Save Custom Items - saves the Basic Items and the items selected from this list: • HTML image files (all) • HTML audio & video files • HTML object & embed files • CSS image files (all) • CSS font files (woff for any browser) • CSS font files (all) • Scripts (in same-origin frames) Note, scripts in cross-origin frames are never saved. There is an option to shrink the page to force lazy loading of images before saving the page. There is an experimental option to shrink the page to force lazy loading of images before saving the page. There is an option to retain cross-origin frames when saving the page. Note, cross-origin iframes often contain adverts or visitor comments. There is an option to merge duplicate CSS images (to reduce the saved file size). There are options to remove or rehide elements hidden by the page itself or by other extensions, such as page editors (e.g Print Edit WE) or content blockers (e.g. uBlock Origin). There is an option to include an information bar at the top of the saved page. There is an option to include metrics and resource summary in the saved file. There is an option to set the maximum depth of saved nested frames/iframes. SAVED FILE NAME There is an option to specify the format of the saved file name. This format is used when saving the complete page and when extracting a resource (Image/Audio/Video). The saved file name may contain the following predefined fields: • %TITLE% - (saving a page) the document title or if this is empty the same as %FILE% • %TITLE% - (extracting a resource) the same as %FILE% • %DATE(x)% - the current date in YYYYxMMxDD format, where 'x' is any character or can be omitted. • %TIME(x)% - the current time in HHxMMxSS format, where 'x' is any character or can be omitted. • %HOST% - the host name in the page or resource URL • %PATH% - the path in the page or resource URL without the final file extension • %FILE% - the file in the last segment of the path without the final file extension There are options to replace spaces in the saved file name with a user-defined character and to set the maximum length of the saved file name. CONFIGURING CHROME Go to Chrome Menu Button > Settings > Advanced. In the Downloads section, set the downloads folder location, and enable or disable the 'Ask where to save each file before downloading' option. After saving a page, a download item will appear in the download bar at the bottom of the browser window. Click on the arrow in the download item and enable or disable the 'Always open files of this type' option. LOADING RESOURCES There is an option to set the maximum time allowed for loading a Listed URL. There is an option to set the maximum size allowed for large or repeatedly referenced resources. There is an option to set the maximum time allowed for loading individual resources. There is an option to allow loading of passive mixed content (image,audio,video). There is an option to send a referer header when requesting a resource. The options are: do not send a refer header, send a referer header with origin only, or send a referer header with origin and path (origin only in private browsing). UNSAVED RESOURCES There is an option to show a warning if any resources cannot be saved. There is an option to show a list of all resources that cannot be saved. There is an option to remove URLs of unsaved resources, which avoids unsaved resources being loaded from the internet when the saved page is opened. USING AUTOMATION There is an option to use automation mode, allowing a page to be saved from the command line. If this option is enabled: • When Firefox starts, Save Page WE will be automatically initiated using the current Button Action. • When the save operation is complete, Firefox will be automatically closed. To exit automation mode, immediately after Firefox starts up, use the 'Cancel Save' menu command or keyboard shortcut to cancel the save operation, and then disable the option to use automation. Note, the new saved method is always used when the use automation option is enabled. SAVE METHODS Below are some important details about the new and old save methods. Old Save Method: • The default in Version 18.0 or earlier. • Remembers the last save location in both Firefox and Chrome. • Cannot save a few pages (e.g Yahoo) in Chrome 84 or later. • In which case the save will fail without any error messages. • Use the new save method for these pages. New Save Method: • The default in Version 19.0. Optional in Version 20.0 or later. • Remembers the last save location in Firefox 78 or later, but not in Chrome. • Can save all pages. • Other download extensions may change the saved file name to a UUID. • For example "9bd65c08-5f1c-491c-bf61-63d90638bf9e.html". • In which case try uninstalling and reinstalling Save Page WE. • Or use the old save method. SAVED FILE FORMAT The HTML elements (as currently displayed) and all of the referenced resources are saved in a single file (.html). External CSS style sheets are converted to internal CSS style sheets. Frame contents and external scripts are stored as UTF-8 data URIs in the 'src' attribute. Iframe contents are stored as UTF-8 text in the 'srcdoc' attribute. All binary resources (images, fonts, audios, videos, etc) are stored as Base64 data URIs. CSS images referenced multiple times within a frame will only be stored once in that frame. CSS fonts and HTML images/audios/videos will be stored once for each reference. Note that not all cross-origin frames can be saved. A cross-origin frame will be saved only if all of its cross-origin ancestor frames can run content scripts. Scripts in cross-origin frames are not saved. There is an option to format the HTML source code in the saved file. SUPPORT Please e-mail: [email protected] LICENSE Distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2. See LICENCE.txt file and http://www.gnu.org/licenses/
- (2020-04-03) Saul Salinas: Excelente, las paginas se muestran exactamente como la original. lo unico que le faltaria es que hubiera una opcion para renombrar la pagina antes de descargarla. Todo lo demas perfecto
- (2020-04-02) celal doğan: harika çok iş görüyor
- (2020-03-31) E Auer: doesnt work
- (2020-03-18) Kevin Pillay: I am white.
- (2020-03-14) At Transsion: It works with static pictures, but still not with GIFs. Why there is just not such an extension that saves EVERYTHING that Chrome has ALREADY fetched from the server?????
- (2020-03-06) RoboCop Police: la mejor aplicación sin duda alguna, 100% recomendada
- (2020-03-05) May Chen: Awesome! It works, Thanks man.
- (2020-02-27) Nulled: Seems works nice, but it does not work at all for pages opened locally. For example I have a javadoc downloaded, and I would like to share with my friend only one page but save all css/media resources to show this page properly. When I press on icon, or Save button in context menu, being on page saved locally - It does not do anything. Nothing shows etc.
- (2020-02-19) Miles Corless: Downloads an empty zipped folder.
- (2020-02-15) John Krumpotick: It works really well. Thing only thing that would be nice is if it would spider linked web pages.
- (2020-02-13) Андрій М: кнопка не активна
- (2020-02-11) Michael Niles: The resulting asset still references assets from the original site. Because of this, I cannot recommend this plugin for archiving websites; once the original site is down, the documents produced by this script will cease to function.
- (2020-02-06) Hosa Dokha: Ok... Someone needs to tell me ASAP why saving basic pages that have text and 2 or 3 images makes a 15 MB file, and saving the sames page with chrome or firefox makes 314 KB file, AND I CANT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO..
- (2020-01-30) UA Bravat: часто вилітає, поки не відкриєш налаштування
- (2020-01-25) abhiram venkata: I just love this extension. Makes my Life easier ....... There are many pages with inbuilt print functionality by the website providers that just doesn't work properly and saves a crappy version of PDF. But with this extension I was able to save the exact replica of the web page. I thank the developers for this extension.
- (2020-01-23) cao zhuo: I just wonder how to see the comment I type after I have saved the page.
- (2020-01-19) Andrew Shawn: Great extension! Just one thing, i want to disable the Alt + A shortcut...
- (2020-01-14) Anna Jeznach-Żeromska: Zapisuje stronę do jednego pliku w *.*.html. Dzięki temu można odczytać plik dowolną przeglądarką i nie tylko. I o to chodziło.
- (2020-01-13) Evgeniy Doroshenko: Отличное приложение. Сохраняет странички на ура.
- (2020-01-12) Moongi Hong: only way store html with mathjax corretly huge thanks.
- (2020-01-04) SAM SAM: after trying 10 to 15 extension this is the best . >save quickly and >auto rename duplicate file , >does not block using website while saving
- (2020-01-01) Jan Menšík: Cant download whole page
- (2019-12-27) Moe Loop: Just need a batch save all opened tabs feature.
- (2019-12-22) Asad Jazino: I am having trouble archiving my DeviantArt favorites. The scrolling/lazy load is making images be missing. I tried selecting the 'force lazy load' option but it's still missing images.
- (2019-12-15) Chang: Perfect, exactly what I needed thanks.
- (2020-07-04, v:20.2) Renjie Sun: Click and nothing happens on most current chromium-based Android browsers (Kiwi, Yandex)
Hi, I'm probably asking too much, since Android chromium-based browsers are not normally supported. Yet they do exist and this plugin is really a great enhancement to them. I've installed Save Page WE to the latest Kiwi Browser (77.0.3865.92) and to Yandex Browser (Release Beta 20200227 20.2.4) successfully. But in both cases, when I click the icon, nothing happens. Yandex Browser works fine when downgraded to Release 20190717 19.6.4. So I guess there is something broken with pattern. Device is Samsung Tab S4 SM-T835N Thanks for the great work.
- (2020-06-19, v:19.0) Aydin Yulug: Save Page hijacking opt-c on my Sierra imac
Hi, I love Save Page but it has started to hijack opt-c on my Sierra imac computer (I hadn't noticed it until today). I need opt-c to write the letter ç in Turkish so it is indispensable. I can't find a keyboard shortcut to close to prevent this for Save Page so I had to close the extension altogether. Can you please help? Many thanks for an excellent extension. Aydin Yulug
- (2020-06-18, v:19.0) Kiri678: Save not working anymore in opera
I am using this extension with Opera and it was working as intended, until v19.0 update. Now, extension is still there, but after clicking the icon page doesn't get saved.
- (2020-06-18, v:19.0) Ilya Egorov: Save Page WE 19.0 doesn't remember the path of the previously saved page
Save Page WE 19.0 become quite inconvenient to use, as it doesn't remember the path of the previously saved page and it opens home folder in Finder (on Mac) every time when saving pages. That's so inconvenient. I believe it happened after a recent update, as it wasn't that way before.
- (2020-06-06, v:17.3) Generic Username: possible to have it auto-approve-name for pages?
is it possible to have it automatically accept whatever name we give the site? what other values are accepted currently? %time% ? %date%? if I just want to click save, and I want it to go ahead and save it wherever it is that I last saved a file (or after I assign a location or save a file there once) ? it seems like it would save a click if it would jsut save instead of confirming a name
- (2020-05-06, v:17.2) Sonnenkralle: View Comments
I'm using Save Page WE and add a comment when I save a page. How do I view this comment?
- (2020-03-30, v:17.1) Kamel: Where's the source?
This project is listed as licensed under the GPL, but I don't see a link to the source code anywhere. I'd love to take a look and potentially contribute. Is there a place where the source is housed/bugs are tracked?
- (2020-03-20, v:17.0) KilliK 69: Latest version 17 steals focus from active tab, when save is completed.
How to reproduce: 1.start saving a page with the addon. 2.quickly switch to another tab, before the save completes. 3.when the save completes, the tabs which was saved automatically becomes active. it was tested in a clean profile with Chrome version 80.0.3987.149 (64-bit) and Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 1909 I hope this is fixed, because it completely ruins the experience of surfing in the browser, because now it abruptly stops me from reading one tab/page while saving another tab/page.
- (2020-02-27, v:16.7) Nulled: Can't save pages loaded locally
I have a javadoc saved offline (unpacked from jar) with many html pages, resources etc. I would like to open one page and save it fully including all resources needed. I open that page, press on extension icon, or on "Save Standard Items" - and absolutely nothing happens. If I open same javadoc online from site - it saves. But I need to save page of javadocs of earlier versions, not the last I can see on website.
- (2020-02-20, v:16.7) Raymond Reddington: Dropdown not included
Hello Support, Thanks for the incredible plugin. I wanted to point out that when pages are saved, the drop-downs options don't work. Not sure if that's how it is or I'm not doing something right. Thanks
- (2019-12-07, v:16.3) klandar ice: 50 % cpu usage with scripts in chrome
when i open the html page online, CPU usage is fine but as i go offline and open the html file again(restarting chrome) insane amount of CPU usage...Is it normal ??
- (2019-10-25, v:16.2) Francisco José Rubio Barcena: Schedule a task
Hello. i am testing this extension, Is it possible to schedule a task to save the webpage?
- (2019-10-24, v:16.2) Jian Gong: Total Resource size limit
I have a long web page (chat room history) to save. However, I had to cancel the save because of the total resource limit of 250MB. Could you make it an option? Thanks.
- (2019-10-14, v:16.2) Arthas: Arthas
Hello Sir Great job, your web page saver actually save websites that are specifically had used scripts to not be saved, can you implement the whole website downloader(site offline browswer as well, started by just downloading each webpage, and then url correction so the offline pages can be interlinked user credential is also a essential feature, for that program thanks again
- (2019-09-26, v:16.1) Eoin O'Raghallaigh: Save page again
Great extension, but is there a way to save a page again? I want to save a page, edit it in Chrome inspector, and then save my changes. Doesn't seem possible with this extension.
- (2019-09-23, v:16.1) Ali Şengül: Save page WE by Selenium
Is it possible to use this extension by Selenium?
- (2019-08-10, v:15.1) Darko Petreski: Save page from command line
Is it possible to call this extension with url from command line to save the page ? example: google-chrome --headless --disable-gpu https://someurl.com --call-this-extension-somehow-to-save-the-url
- (2019-07-24, v:15.1) zakhar nasimov: download improvement
It would be ideal to permit users to input a list of URIs which the user would like to have pulled as single HTML files rather then having them pulled individually going thru the routine for each webpage since there are instances were several pages are to be downloaded instead of just a few pages. Also permit users to assign shortcut keys for basic, standard and custom download functionalities.
- (2019-07-17, v:15.1) Tahor Sui Juris: Multiple URLs as a batch?
Multiple URLs as a batch? Is it possible to save multiple URLs from a list?
- (2019-06-26, v:15.0) Velgor Hellsing: Saved File Name
Are there any other Parameter like %TITLE% usable for defining the File Name? Would like to use some like %URL% or %Date% Would also be nice if the files could be saved somewhere else then the default download folder
- (2019-06-12, v:15.0) Chi Guy: Saving Website Pictures in Slideshow
Hello, I am wondering about the capabilities of this extension in regards to the ability to save a website that has a set of pictures contained within a box that has left and right arrows, allowing me to click through a set of pictures (realtor.com listing). Using this extension and saving the site, it only shows the top level picture, but still shows the arrow buttons, they just do not work and all I can see is that same picture that was loaded when it was saved. Is there a way to save all pictures in the slide deck so that I can scroll through them in the saved website?