An alternative to Chrome's Omnibox. Replaces the New Tab page.
Fauxbar makes Chrome's New Tab page act like classic Firefox's Awesome Bar: • Quickly find the history page, tab or bookmark you're after • Results are ranked using Mozilla's frecency algorithm, just like Firefox • Add and use your favorite websites' search engines with ease • Show tiled thumbnails for your top websites and installed Chrome apps To use Fauxbar, simply open a new tab, or click the orange Fauxbar icon beside Chrome's Omnibox, or focus the Omnibox and press F+Spacebar. What's the difference between Fauxbar and Fauxbar Lite? -- Fauxbar replaces Chrome's New Tab page; Fauxbar Lite does not. If you'd rather keep Chrome's New Tab page as is, please install Fauxbar Lite instead: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bfimmnpbjccjihohjkimphfmmebffbmk For Fauxbar's source code, please visit https://github.com/ChrisNZL/Fauxbar Features include: Address Box: • Accurately find your history items, bookmarks, and opened tabs • Results are ranked using Mozilla's frecency algorithm, just like Firefox • Full support for mid-word searching and non-alphanumeric characters • Consistent URL auto-fill / auto-complete • Intelligent page pre-rendering • Keyword shortcuts for your favorite websites • Right-click options such as Add/Edit Bookmark, and Add/Edit Keyword • Paste & Go • Search engine keyword shortcuts • URL blacklist • Switch to tab functionality Search Box and search engines: • Right-click on search fields on your favorite websites to add them as Fauxbar search engines • Use your favorite search engines with the dedicated Search Box, or hide the Search Box and just use search engines from the Address Box • Assign keywords to search engines for quick access, or click a menu for a visual list of your search engines • Suggestions can be displayed as you type your query (suggestions from the selected search engine will be retrieved where available) • Paste & Search • Supports OpenSearch detection Tiles: • Show tiles for your favorite websites with screenshot thumbnails • Let Fauxbar choose site tiles for you, or manually choose them yourself • Click and drag site tiles to rearrange Other features: • Omnibox integration: type F+Spacebar to access Fauxbar without leaving the page you're on • Override Chrome's Alt+D, Ctrl+L and Ctrl+K commands with Fauxbar's equivalents • Choose font names, sizes, colors and background image • Let Fauxbar take focus away from Chrome's Omnibox automatically, or keep it as is • Choose the number of results to display at a time • Comes preset with Google, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo!, and Bing • Delete a URL from Chrome's history right from Fauxbar without having to open Chrome's History page • Alter the frecency algorithm's scoring if desired • More than 60 different configurable options • Backup, restore, and/or reset Fauxbar's options with ease Fauxbar is not affiliated with Google, Chrome, Mozilla, Firefox, or the original AwesomeBar. ==== Recent changes: 14 June 2019 – v1.8.1 • Fixed a database locking issue that was introduced in Chrome 75. • Slightly increased Address Box result padding. • Added info when prompting to add an Address Box result keyword. • Updated suggested keyboard shortcuts.
- (2019-10-24) 雷雨: 非常棒的擴展,可以在新標籤裡快速找到需要的網址,但問題是為什麼不是新標籤的地址欄裡面輸入沒用?難道是因為CHROME把地址欄的索引鎖住了不給改?.............後來,我懂了,要在地址欄f然後空格,調出fauxbar然後就可以搜索歷史和書籤了.棒!!!而且圖標很可愛!!!我喜歡
- (2019-08-13) Yahrite Fohb: Twice today the extension has become "corrupted"..
- (2019-05-15) Fayaz Bin Salam: I've been using this Extension for a week now. It doesn't work as firefox address bar works. First of all, it is slower than expected. secondly, address bar Google search doesn't always take you to Google, instead takes to a webpage if the name somehow matches with the query. Thirdly, not always it shows result. For instance, I have some ip addresses I have to go like 192.168.0.105:4444 or 192.168.0.108:4444 etc. But when I type 105 or 108, it is supposed to show 192.168.0.105:4444 or 192.168.0.108:4444 but most of the time, it doesn't. But I wanna thank the dev for making it. I hope, it will improve more with time.
- (2019-04-27) Sharee co.: I have many Custom search engines in Chrome but Fauxbar shows only the 4 default search engines. Do I miss something? When Fauxbar doesn't have the ability to show them after scanning this is completely Useless for me.
- (2019-02-05) Andrzej Kowaluk: Really good speed dial. Job well done. Big Thanks to the author. Any ideas when/how tiles thumbnails update? Some are blank for me, some tiles show site previews.
- (2018-06-30) Tomas Toth: 50 caliber, Fauxbar is one of the best Bookmarks and Extensions I ever used.
- (2018-04-30) Sean Ryan: A brilliantly useful tool – thanks! *** Issue 1 *** When typing characters in the Fauxbar Address Box, it returns hits for bookmarks marked “Error: URl malformed” (it matches on the substring “URl malformed”). So when I type “med”, it highlights all “URl malforMED”. Can you change this behaviour? PS: The “Error” bookmarks are those with embedded “%s” which are compatible with another Chrome extension that has the ability to substitute %s with address bar text provided as a search string. *** Issue 2 *** On the Fauxbar page, sub-menus for Bookmarks and Extensions are not visible or accessible: when you hover over - or click on - an entry containing a sub-menu arrow icon you can see about 1mm of the sub-menu's left hand border showing just left of the main menu's vertical scroll-bar. It's as if the sub-menu is hidden under the vertical scroll bar (though of course it's expected that the sub-menu should pop up over / to the right of the scroll-bar). The sub-menu pops up correctly for all menus where the menu has no scroll-bar, and does not pop up for any menu where the menu does contain a scroll-bar.
- (2018-01-23) BIOS-Pherecydes: A very good alternative to Chrome's default New Tab Page. There is one issue that I've been having though that stopped this from getting five stars: Every time I open a new tab, I have to try and figure out where it opened because it pops up in a random location at one of the ends. Please fix.
- (2017-11-12) Dave Jones: No improvement. Chrome still looks like Chrome. Worthless. How do you uninstall? (Not an obvious option.)
- (2017-10-11) Jean-Roger Miel: Superb extension, it's exactly what I wanted and missed from Firefox. I also liked the possibility to personalize the tab aspect. The only small negative point is the fact that we need to open a new tab, and that it do not work directly on chrome search bar. But I think that is impossible to code. Thanks a lot
- (2017-09-07) Gearoid Murphy: The best solution for history searching in Chrome.
- (2017-07-29) Công dân toàn cầu: I use this for fullscreen mode. Many thanks. Just alitle bit look doesn't so nice interface
- (2017-06-13) Peter Greň: Excellent extension, keep up the good work! The feature to switching to a tab when is opened and closing Fauxbar is the best and it keeps me from opening the same page many times when I am lazy to find it in between opened tabs. Cheers.
- (2017-06-11) BaSsGaZ: Nice overall, Though I had a lot of problems with it so far : - Sometimes when I click on the Search box, the cursor keeps flashing between the search bar and the URL bar exhausting the CPU as a result.
- (2017-03-13) stephanie clague: Makes chrome great to use, really happy with the results!
- (2017-03-03) Kimball Robinson: Loved it...until it stopped indexing my browsing history. I tried reinstalling, reindexing, etc. It still says 0 history items are indexed. No way around it.
- (2017-01-29) F H: Finally, this is what I have been looking for, for my switch to chrome
- (2017-01-08) Nav K: Pretty good! But consider changing the faux's image since everytime I open new tab I feel like there are xhamster's tiles all over the place lol
- (2016-12-01) Matt Collinge: I'm transitioning to Chrome from Firefox, and found the Chrome omnibar poor for finding URLs I was looking at earlier on in the day.. this fixes that problem right off the bat. Great work Chris!
- (2016-11-16) Shuai Lin: Really Really handy!
- (2016-11-12) Reiner Adam: a very useful extension. an option in the settings: open results/pages in new tab, would be very nice. i have a touchpad with no middle-click. thx
- (2016-09-17) vvv zzz: Очень хорошо! Great!
- (2016-08-27) i had to install about 20 crappy start page addons until i stumbled upon this hidden gem everything i need is here the simplicity and powerful customization well done gents
- (2016-06-13) Lyall van der Linde: This was the best, and because its now updated it IS the best! I'm gonna try it out and dude don't be shy to ask for donate, because it is very useful
- (2016-05-18) Наил Ситдиков: Very cool! long sought such an extension!
- (2013-05-09, v:1.2.11) Dennis Altermann: Fauxbar for Ubuntu?
Fauxbar isn't available for Ubuntu? :(