Quickly reload pages through your library's EZProxy.
Many universities use EZProxy to allow its students access to various online databases. This extension adds a button to Chrome which allows for a quick way to reload the current page through your EZProxy system. All it does is pass the URL to your library's EZProxy login URL. For example: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ would change to: http://www.library.drexel.edu/cgi-bin/r.cgi?url=http://ieeexplore.ieee.org Also, the code to this extension is available on GitHub: http://github.com/tom5760/chrome-ezproxy UPDATES: 06/13/18: * Add copy option when right-clicking the browser button. This was excluded from the previous version by mistake. 06/12/18: * Add option when right-clicking the browser button, or a link, to copy the transformed URL to the clipboard. * Allow using multiple proxies simultaneously. On the options screen, multiple proxies can be chosen. When more than one is selected, clicking the extension button will display a popup listing all of them. Context menus will also display a sub-menu allowing choice of proxy. 08/10/17: * Small patch to use a less extensive permission "activeTab" instead of the "tabs" permission. This will remove the scary warning about this extension needing access to your browser history (it doesn't). 08/09/17: * Update to fix issue in Chrome 60. The latest version of Chrome restricts access to the URL the current tab is on behind the "tabs" permission. This is required so that the extension can redirect you when you click the extension button. Nothing about the actual function of the extension changed, just the added permission to keep the current functionality working. 12/12/14: * Updates by rohitagr to sync options with Chrome. * Your selected URL will now be synced between machines if you use the same Google account in Chrome. 11/07/12: * Fixed loading list of schools from EZProxy-DB. 07/03/12: * Updated to Chrome manifest version 2 (http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/manifestVersion.html). 03/23/11: * Added support for updating URL list in options page from my EZProxy URL database. Now I don't need to release new versions of the extension in order to add/update URLs. * See: http://ezproxy-db.appspot.com/ * Fixed Columbia University URL (thanks Chris) * Added RIT URL (thanks Sakshar) 12/20/10: Added University of Central Florida URL (thanks Pieter) 9/9/10: Updated to a nicer looking icon from the Gnome project. Also added University of Windsor URL. Thanks cassid4. 9/8/10: Added a context menu to open links through EZProxy. Also added a drop-down box in the options to choose schools per tjkopena's suggestions. 2/22/10: I have updated the extension with code suggested by "AB" in the comments. It should be more reliable now. You have to change the URL in your options to use the new format. Contact me at [email protected] if you have any issues.
- (2019-09-09) Jane Q: Works like a charm.
- (2019-05-31) Yvette: Rely on it. A real time saver.
- (2018-08-21) Rosanna Nichols: Lifesaver
- (2016-08-04) Edward Wallace: Worked first time. Makes my life easier.
- (2015-08-14) Rachel C: Perfect. Saves so much time.
- (2015-06-30) Alan Ruttenberg: Doesn't work for many URLs.
- (2015-02-02) Simon Couillard-Castonguay: Awesome. Pure magic, <10 sec setup. Actually couldn't believe that my university was already listed, great thanks. Simon Université de Sherbrooke
- (2014-10-20) Philippe Errembault: doesn't work with site.ezproxy.institution/path format
- (2014-04-30) John Eaton: Awesome! Gets around having to go to the college library to get access to scholarly journal articles and other resources. Don't even need to sign in. If this catches on it's sure to draw the ire of Elsevier and all those folks who make huge profits by standing in the way of science. So don't talk about it.
- (2014-04-03) Peter van Galen: Works perfectly. Set up in 1 minute.
- (2014-02-21) Yachuan Yang: Very useful! Suggestion: Memorer those frequently used ezproxys and add them to a list to chose.It's more convinient. Thank U 4 your great work!
- (2013-06-12) Jordan Barrett: Took a little bit to find the correct URL for my school, but once I did this worked perfectly. A great tool
- (2013-02-05) Alex Grede: This makes doing research at home all that much easier.
- (2012-10-16) Simon Billinge: awesome - lifesaver
- (2012-06-12) Izwan Salim: Really love it... Is it possible to make its default load our own institution 1st.
- (2017-11-21, v:16) Matt Thomas: Proxy prefix contribution
I'm the eResources Librarian at Wilfrid Laurier University (and therefore the EZproxy admin) and am trying to update the prefix for us but it won't let me. Can you tell me who contributed it for our institution? Is the Google account used for that contribution the only one that can change it? Can this be changed?
- (2017-08-09, v:15) Mike Brooks: Browsing history
Chrome browser disabled the Ezproxy redirect plugin with the latest update. It has asked me to approve the new permission: Read browsing history. Why does it need access to history? Thanks Mike
- (2017-07-29, v:14) B.J. So: Multiple Proxy Option
I have access to several different EZProxy servers. It would be really helpful having a way of switching easily between them, rather than going through the Setttings page each time.
- (2017-04-02, v:14) How to Set Up?
Hi, I added the EZProxy Redirect to Chrome but when I click on it, it just asks me to sign into the Drexel university Library. How do I add my own university library?
- (2017-01-05, v:14) Christopher Chan: Open links always with Ezproxy redirect
How do I enable the option to open any link with Ezproxy redirect always?
- (2016-10-27, v:14) Doesn't work
Doesn't work for Univerity of Tartu.
- (2016-06-08, v:14) Jessala Grijalva-Muraco Muraco: Error 404 Not Found
After adding my University, which is the University of Arizona, I keep getting an error of 404 Not Found. How can I correct this? Thank you, Jess
- (2015-08-29, v:14) Tommy Gober: Multiple Proxies
I'd really like to be able to quickly/easily cycle between several proxies. Some public libraries have access to databases my university doesn't have and my work may have access to still other databases. I'm thinking it would be nice to enable these 3 proxies by having a right-click functionality on the extension's icon "Reload this page with _____'s proxy..." which allows the user to specify which proxy to use beyond one specified as the "default" proxy.
- (2015-02-17, v:14) Ben Zaghi: RedirectSafe
Hi there, I keep getting this error message: "To allow http://www.surgjournal.com/article/S0039-6060(13)00196-7/pdf to be used in a starting point URL, your EZproxy administrator must first authorize the hostname of this URL in the config.txt file. Within this database's section of config.txt, either the following line must be added: Host www.surgjournal.com or, alternatively, a RedirectSafe for this host or domain may be appropriate. After editing config.txt, the EZproxy server must be restarted to make changes take effect." What does it mean?