Automatically mutes each new tab the instant it is opened.
Are you getting tired of obnoxious ads blaring sound while you're browsing? AutoMute automatically mutes every tab opened in your browser, effectively allowing you to opt-in to hear audio in a web page, instead of forcing you to opt-out.
- (2019-09-16) Wayne Abbott: The is the bomb. I hate websites that autoplay video and sound. This is the solution. Update: some websites have found a way around the extension's whitelist mode. You can be running in Whitelist mode and go to a site like FoxNews.com and the sound will not be muted. Oh, well. I'm glad the developer gave us something that worked for a while. Still works on a lot of sites, but they'll probably figure out a way around soon.
- (2019-01-10) Robert Grutza: Unable to unmute tabs. Terrible.
- (2018-12-26) David Parsons: Stopped working recently, can no longer mute/unmute from the button on the tab
- (2018-12-03) Francis de Briey: Exactly what I was looking for : no sound by default when opening a web page ! Thank you automute and the developer behind it :-)
- (2018-08-12) Jeremy Synz: Needs a small fix for websites that use double domains like Bandcamp. For instance: artistname.bandcamp.com Other than that, great extension.
- (2018-07-16) Stéphane CARO: It worked better with some previous versions of Chrome (now the little icon to switch on/off one tab sound has disappeared and only the keyboard shortcuts work) but it's still useful.
- (2018-06-11) Hailey Em: works great!
- (2018-04-18) Ricky Shade: Chrome changed from "mute tab" to "mute site" and broke this extension. It's been a while with no fix. The developer is done supporting this I guess.
- (2018-03-19) Jason A: This is exactly what I wanted BUT it shows the "muted speaker" icon on every tab which is very annoying. It's particularly annoying on pinned tabs because I can no longer see the icon for the website! Please give us the option to not show that icon.
- (2018-03-02) Michael W: I used to love this extensions, but it seems like it may have been broken when Chrome switched from Mute Tab to Mute Site. Has a problem when trying to Unmute Site.
- (2018-02-18) Stephan Gerve: I have to turn off the extension to unmute a tab. What happened to the option where I could right cick on a tab to unmute? You guys think I have the time to add sites to the whitelist? I prefer unmuting tabs manually like the previous version.
- (2018-02-13) Steve Allen: Used to be simple, intuitive and effective. No longer.
- (2018-02-01) Bob Marshall: Very nice extension, works exactly as advertised.
- (2018-01-28) Max Mustermann: since the newest chrome update (64), you can't unmute a tab by right clicking on it anymore since chrome has now their own option for muting a website. hope it gets fixed soon, you still can unmute a tab by clicking the auto mute symbol to the right though.
- (2018-01-26) Russ Smith: I've been using this for quite awhile and it's exactly what I needed, but it appears to be somewhat broken as of the latest update to Chrome (64.0.3282.119); the "little speaker" icon on the tab itself stays in the "muted" state and the tab's unmute functionality is not working. The tab can be unmuted by clicking on the icon near the address bar, however.
- (2018-01-23) BlackBox CAD: I wish AutoMute didn't change the icon displayed - I already have the AutoMute icon on the browser, change THAT to indicate if a tab is being muted contextually, so I can still see which pinned tab is which - otherwise, pinned tabs are pretty much useless.
- (2018-01-22) Roy Kim: There's still no HTML5 video blocker for chrome but this is a good stopgap.
- (2018-01-19) Lucas: God has given a gift to us: AutoMute!
- (2018-01-09) Old Obsolete: Reliable.
- (2018-01-08) Fabian Grupp: It`s a good extension does what it promises but I have a problem with Twitch.tv, if the extension is activated (doesn`t matter if I whitelist twitch.tv or not) the chat is just not working (the only thing poping up are subscriptions). This is really annoying and sadly I can`t use ther extension because of it.
- (2017-12-23) Dale Ehrhart: Thank God for this extension!
- (2017-11-24) Paulo Zenari: This fits my needs perfectly, as it allows whitelisting/blacklisting specific URL. I use the blacklist function.
- (2017-11-15) orange crush: Does exactly what it's supposed to do, which is block sound unless allowed. I get sick of all these irritating auto-run videos that suddenly pop up & force me to close the entire browser! Some of the old extensions like Disable HTML5 Autoplay are no longer maintained and don't really work any more.
- (2017-10-20) Nullified Nullified: Perfect! I absolutely love this plug-in, no more sound playing ads!
- (2017-10-14) Ben Lubar: Does exactly what it says on the tin. All tabs are muted by default, but you can whitelist a page or a domain in two clicks. No more going to a news site for the first time and having eight different video ads play simultaneously as you struggle to find the mute button.
- (2019-11-11, v:2.1.1) Amanda Castleman: Unmute/whitelist doesn't work any more
The unmute and whitelist buttons stopped working on Chrome 78.0.3904.70. I tried reinstalling. No luck, so I had to get rid of the extension. Bummer! It was great while it lasted...
- (2019-08-07, v:2.1.1) Wayne Abbott: Websites have found a way around it
Check out any story at cbsnews.com. It's not on my whitelist but the videos blare at me with full sound whenever I go there. I have to manually mute the tab.
- (2018-09-07, v:2.1.1) Russ Silbiger: Broken
Clicking the tab to unmute is still broken
- (2018-06-18, v:2.1.1) Daan: Can't unmute anymore
Have to look for a different solution as the unmute does not work anymore
- (2018-06-15, v:2.1.1) Shortcut doesn't undo mute all tabs
I noticed that the default shortcut for Mac, Alt-Shift-L, works to mute all current tabs, but it does not work to unmute all tabs. I assume this is not the desired behavior since it differs from the default shortcut to mute a single tab, Alt-Shift-M, which both mutes and unmutes the current tab. Any chance you could make a fix for that?
- (2018-05-29, v:2.1.1) R. W. Zenonian: Permamute
When I right-click on a tab and select "unmute site" the site remains muted. When I right click again, the option is now "mute site" even though the site is still muted.
- (2018-04-02, v:2.1.1) David Horan: Google Hangouts Extension
It mutes the Hangouts extension, and so far I haven't been able to find the correct whitelist name to make it work, any suggestions?
- (2018-03-27, v:2.1.1) Matthew Dumas: Unmute gone after chrome update
Same as others. The right click on tab to unmute functionality is gone. Without this, this extension is useless to me :(
- (2018-03-21, v:2.1.1) Cameron Eng: pop up window
This extension is great except that it creates a pop up window in the bottom right hand corner that blocks all controls.
- (2018-03-16, v:2.1.1) Seth Heidkamp: No "unmute" option
Uninstalling because the option to unmute a tab is gone, so this is now just a "silence everything" plugin