Android Messages for Web implemented in a clean popup window, removing the browser clutter and letting you focus on the web app.
**** UPDATE APRIL 13, 2019 **** Thank you so much for everyone who has used this small Chrome extension I wrote out of sheer annoyance. I had no idea so many people would end up using it, but I'm glad it was a good stop gap in the meantime. However, Google has obviously done far more and now they actually offer the ability to install their website as a PWA to your Chrome instance. I would recommend checking this out to find out how. https://www.chromestory.com/2018/10/install-android-messages-chromebook/ If you don't want to install that for some reason, another option is this fully native desktop app developed in Electron. Relying on Google would be the best bet and the experience is identical to this extension you've been using, but I won't be continuing to support or update this extension any longer, because I have moved on to relying on Google's PWA instead and unfortunately I don't have time. I won't remove it from the Chrome web store for those of you who do use it, but please understand that I will not be pushing any updates! Thanks so much! ******************************************************* Google has given us a great web application and features to text from the web. However, texting from a browser window that's cluttered with extra tabs, bookmarks, URL fields, icons and buttons all over the place feels like it takes away from the elegance of the Messages for Web experience. In order to help create a more minimalistic experience that lets you focus only on the conversations you're having, there is the Messages for Web extension! This extension simply opens a bare popup without any of the annoyances of the browser and lets you access Message for Web as it should have been. Want to help me continue developing, supporting and adding additional features? Feel free to send me beer and LaCroix money to keep my mini fridge stocked! Paypal: http://paypal.me/drewpayment Bitcoin wallet: 3KoTmhg3HKK5FTWuEjEdJbXPHD5j6bxNP4 Ethereum wallet: 0x6Cf591E7B180Fc3ebAb88510F84B95b1433c6C2F Litecoin wallet: MHcuXNbBfHBbVegpfqDi89sZNi8FpC3ZCB
- (2019-11-15) Chris Glenn: Does pretty much everything the website does in a smaller format.
- (2019-10-30) dan platz: I don't get the point of this extension, I have to the app window open in order to get notifications. Hangouts extension didn't require this and it even to notified me of phone calls and allowed me to answer them from my computer if I wanted/needed to (it still does this even with my SMS moved over to messages, at least until Google decides to fully drop it but it seems GV is getting support again).
- (2019-09-23) Kevin Ray: It works ok but the windows 10 app is much better. There is one on github: https://github.com/chrisknepper/android-messages-desktop/releases/tag/v3.0.0. It works great for me on Windows 10. It pops up with a notification on the bottom right of the screen right above the clock and shows me the number/contact that just sent the message and the whole text message and plays a notification sound. I can click the notification and it will open the program right to the message so I can respond.
- (2019-08-02) Shawn Krumpe: So I loaded it... then click on it, scan the QR code, it pops up a window. I use it... then close it because I don't want another tab open all day long... then I open it, and I have to scan the QR code again. TOTALLY USELESS. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want my google voice extension to work again...
- (2019-06-17) Ron Dick: Used to work though it was very slow to connect to my phone. Now it won't connect at all.
- (2019-05-24) Don M. Hokanson: Works great from my Chromebook. Incredibly easy to install. I've been fighting with MightyText for months. Exactly what I was looking for.
- (2019-05-17) Андрей Кожунков: Абсолютно не сканирует на телефон код - выдаёт - ошибка, попробуйте через несколько минут... И так по много раз. Так и не удалось запустить. И зачем такое?
- (2019-05-12) Neo Smith: Great interface for messages for web (google messaging), could use some work, but great start....
- (2019-05-03) Tom Husband: I have tried to get this to connect to my Nokia 6.1 phone countless times. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still it doesn't connect. Very frustrating and poor performing. I'll look elsewhere.
- (2019-03-06) Tim Kaczocha: It won't connect to my contacts and it won't allow me to type in the message to send manually.
- (2019-03-01) Sure, it removes the clutter of browser tabs, but it is still treated by the OS like a Chrome window. I want a separate "app" with it's own shortcut in `~/Applications` and it's own dock icon so that I can switch between it and Chrome intelligently and it feels like a separate SMS app. Like the Keep Chrome extension by Google https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-keep-chrome-extens/lpcaedmchfhocbbapmcbpinfpgnhiddi?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon. Now I am uninstalling it because it doesn't fulfil the one criterion I was looking for. I don't have further opinions about functionality / notifications etc because I haven't used it.
- (2019-02-27) Chadwick Warfield: Just OK. This extension does the same thing that others do, which is opening the https://messages.android.com URL in a standalone browser window. However, I don't like this one because clicking on the extension button in Chrome opens multiple standalone windows. It shouldn't open multiple windows, because you can't use more than one at the same time on a computer. Instead it should give focus to the existing window. I recommend Android Messages Launcher by Source PNW over this one, as that extension doesn't have the same problem I mentioned above. It does not open multiple windows and instead gives focus to the existing one.
- (2019-01-13) The extension works ok but is useless unless you are sitting next to your computer the entire time since it doesnt have an unread notification badge or icon. If you included this and a "schedule a message" option I'd get rid of my mysms subscription I've had for years.
- (2018-11-05) J.M SHOEMAKER: Since i have been using this app it has been great and i never had any problems i remember so i will keep using it
- (2018-09-19) Matthew White: Overall a nice extension, especially since it works with Android's native messages. The problems I've encountered: 1. Notifications only seem to show when I have the pop up window open and in the background. It would be nice if they always showed, whether the window is open or not. 2. Notifications are prefixed with "messages.android.com" 3. Each time I click on the icon in my taskbar, a new window opens. It should only open 1 window ever, OR just be a literal pop-up within Chrome like other apps do (Pulse, for example). Sticking with this over Pulse for the time being as I prefer to use native apps whenever possible.
- (2018-09-02) Crissie Luckey: Works okay but they BADLY need to cut down UI size. Uses WAY too much space on my 15.6 or 17-inch laptop screen. Also randomly unsyncs by itself very often. Google Voice for Chrome can get far better results by linking your phone number to let you reply to all SMS or voice call traffic online right from an open browser tab.
- (2018-08-22) Phil Barila: I'd give it 5 if it were an app that I can pin to my Windows taskbar. I can pin the messages window, but that opens chrome, not the Messages for Web app.
- (2018-08-20) jason brown: To be fair, the web service and this app worked great for a week or so. However this morning I got spinning and more spinning. Then I got "something went wrong" and then "something went wrong" again.
- (2018-08-11) Adam Bicak: Works really good as advertised! If anything, it would be nice to be able to pin it to my taskbar, so my messages could be a click away from my desktop or anywhere really.
- (2018-07-25) Ed Gollar: The pop-ups are a nice feature. A sound would be nice. As a comment to the latest reviews, I don't think Chrome works (yet) with Windows notifications.
- (2018-07-07) Sean Thurston: Working pretty well other than not showing a notification on an inbound message.
- (2018-07-05) Chae Yi: Overall pretty good. I still can't figure out how to get notifications on my PC though. I wish the extension showed number of new messages received.
- (2020-05-05, v:0.1.1) Jordan Borcherding: Causes Chrome to not close properly
Ever since this extension was installed, I close Chrome and when reopening it gives the message that it hasn't shutdown properly. I have tried removing this extension in all ways I know, and whenever I close and reopen Chrome the extension comes back. Why is this a persistent extension? I do not want this extension anymore, I want it permanently gone as it's causing Chrome to not shutdown properly. I appreciate your work, but I need to understand why I cannot get rid of this.
- (2020-03-23, v:0.1.1) Alfredda Smith-Odato: No longer working
I've been using the Messages for web for over a year now and suddenly it's stopped working on my computer. I refresh and the page is blank. Please help.
- (2019-11-16, v:0.1.1) Dan Wilder: Contribution
Provide sufficient info so I can send you small contribution via paypal.com. Can't seem to get logged in to the paypal link you provide, is it same paypal as paypal.com?
- (2019-08-28, v:0.1.1) Thom Hackett: Can't get the QR code.
I just purchased a new phone and ported everything from my the old phone to the new one, including Messages for Web. It seems to work fine on the phone, including coming up with the QR code reader to connect the new phone to the computer. However, after uninstalling and then reinstalling the extension on my Chrome browser on my computer, the QR code won't come up. It seems to simply skip by it really quickly and open the Messages for Web user interface instead. So, I can't scan the QR code. Any ideas?
- (2019-07-04, v:0.1.1) Lorilynn T: FRUSTRATED, STOPPED WORKING
Messages for web scanned code from cell>it buzzed>didn't execute or open messages on my macbook. It worked in the past, I don't know what happened. I love being able to text on my computer. Please help!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!
- (2019-03-12, v:0.1.1) Eli Byrd: Error 5: Other Network Problem
I keep getting this message as i am trying to send messages both on the phone and the computer. What does this error mean?
- (2018-12-26, v:0.1.1) send/receive encrypted messenger messages in messenger for web
Works fine. But have a question. None of the messenger encrypted messages on the phone are appearing in messenger for web extension. Only SMS messages. Question: How to I configure messenger for web to receive/send encrypted messages as well as SMS messages? Or does it already work, but I need to archive an existing Google SMS account, delete it, and re-send the google user account to have encrypted messages to be send/received. Please advise what I need to do.
- (2018-10-06, v:0.1.1) Sam Dajedi: items appearing in taskbar of android phone
when i scan the bar code and allow the link from android to pc does a icon appear in the top of screen in android taskbar that resembles a house
- (2018-09-05, v:0.1.1) Not getting QR code
Had to reset Pixel 2 phone to factory. I cannot get QR code to appear on web page so phone can scan and connect. What do I need to do?
- (2018-08-07, v:0.1.1) Matt Dickson: Permissions
To reiterate what another user wrote. Read and Change data on all websites seems excessive and quite possibly allows for abuse.
- (2018-07-12, v:0.1.1) Tanachat Nilanon: Excessive permissions?
Why do you need "Read and change all you data on the websites you visit?" Can you restrict the domain to message.android.com?
- (2018-07-07, v:0.1.1) Sean Thurston: No notification
Everything seems to be working except for the notification for new message.