Quickly seek Youtube video playback forwards and backwards by either 3 or 15 seconds.
This tiny and efficient extension helps you easily seek forwards and backwards in Youtube™ videos. If you ever watch long videos and want to seek backwards a little bit so you can see something again, but get frustrated trying to drag that tiny slider just the right amount backwards, this extension is for you! You can either press a couple keys, or click the rewind button to instantly go back! This extension will add keyboard shortcuts which quickly seek playback forwards or backwards by either 3 or 15 seconds by default, but you can configure this. Additionally, it can also add new buttons to the Youtube™ player controls which you can click to go backwards or forwards. COOL TIP: You can skip through some advertisements by just fast forwarding! Try using the "Seek forward to end" keyboard control. Keyboard Controls (windows / linux): Ctrl + LeftArrow: Seek backwards 3 seconds Ctrl + RightArrow: Seek forward 3 seconds Ctrl + SpaceBar: Toggle play / pause Ctrl + Alt + SpaceBar: Toggle mute / unmute Ctrl + Shift + LeftArrow: Seek backwards 15 seconds Ctrl + Shift + RightArrow: Seek forward 15 seconds Ctrl + Shift + DownArrow: Seek backwards to start Ctrl + Shift + UpArrow: Seek forward to end (great for skipping advertisements!) Keyboard Controls (Mac): Ctrl + Command + LeftArrow: Seek backwards 3 seconds Ctrl + Command + RightArrow: Seek forward 3 seconds Ctrl + SpaceBar: Toggle play / pause Ctrl + Alt + SpaceBar: Toggle mute / unmute Ctrl + Shift + LeftArrow: Seek backwards 15 seconds Ctrl + Shift + RightArrow: Seek forward 15 seconds Ctrl + Shift + DownArrow: Seek backwards to start Ctrl + Shift + UpArrow: Seek forward to end (great for skipping advertisements!) For example, it's really easy to hold your ctrl key and then press your left arrow key twice to QUICKLY go back 30 seconds! You can configure how far forwards and backwards each key takes you via the extension config page. Also, if you don't like the buttons that get added to the Youtube™ player, you can disable them. To see the config page, click the extension icon on the top-right of your browser, then select "options", just like on any other extension. Note that the keyboard controls work properly even when you're on a non-youtube website which embeds the video into their webpage. You don't need to give the youtube video "focus" by clicking on it to control it, which allows you to freely interact with the parent webpage. This can be handy, for example, if you want to toggle the play/pause of video while you're using the parent webpage. While youtube has their own keyboard control to pause the video (the space bar), it only works if the video currently has "focus". This extensions offers its own pause (Ctrl + SpaceBar) which works without the video needing focus. The same goes for all the hotkeys! Limitations: -Keyboard controls don't work when you have your cursor in a text field (such as the Youtube™ search field). Move your cursor or use the buttons. -This extension doesn't work on 100% of all websites, but should work for most. -It generally seeks backwards instantly, but not always when seeking forwards. It basically depends on if you've buffered the movie enough. -The GUI buttons can only be added to the Youtube™ player if there's enough width - small players are a problem here. If you maximize the player, they will show up, or you can always just use the keyboard shortcut controls. Legal: Youtube™ is a registered trademark. This extension was developed independently of Youtube™, by someone who is not related or affiliated with Youtube™, without any help or endorsement from them. --------- Changelog --------- V1.27 2018-Nov-24 - Document proper hotkeys for Mac users. V1.26 2018-Nov-10 - Add compatibility with companion extension "Universal Video Player Controls" V1.25 2018-Nov-02 - More reliably detect page and video changes on youtube.com. Greater strategy change. V1.24 2018-Nov-02 - More reliably detect page and video changes on youtube.com. V1.22 2018-Oct-24 - Change Extension name from "Instant replay for Youtube" to "Controls for Youtube". V1.21 2018-Sep-20 - Bug fix - when viewing a Youtube channel and clicking a video, the extension didn't didn't always work properly on the next page. V1.19 2018-Sep-20 - Make hotkey commands animate GUI buttons, if present. V1.17 2018-Sep-16 - Allow config to display individual buttons. V1.16 2018-Jul-5 - Add ability to fast-forward through some advertisements. Add toggle mute keyboard control. V1.15 2018-Jun-29 - Fix for controls not spinning correctly. V1.14 2018-Jun-17 - Fix for controls sometimes not appearing when navigating within youtube.com. V1.13 2018-May-25 - Efficiency improvements. V1.12 2018-May-23 - Add more hotkeys, giving the ability to seek to start or end of video, and to play or pause playback (see "Keyboard Controls" above). V1.11 2018-Jan-20 - Add trademark / legal notice. Renamed from "Youtube Instant Replay" to "Instant Replay for Youtube™" V1.10 2017-Dec-31 - Minor changes to config page. V1.9 2017-Dec-31 - Use smaller buttons that are easier to fit into the Youtube™ player, but only when the player is small. V1.8 2017-Aug-04 - Make buttons spin the opposite direction. V1.7 2017-May-26 - Fix for buttons not reliably being displayed. V1.6 2017-Apr-01 - Battery life improvements for users with lots of browser tabs open. V1.5 2017-Feb-23 - Code cleanup. V1.4 2017-Feb-18 - Sometimes the GUI buttons wouldn't show up on videos which needed you to click them in order to start playback. Fixed. V1.3 2017-Jan-21 - Now, the GUI buttons show how far forwards or backwards they will seek. Also, the buttons are no longer added if the Youtube™ player isn't wide enough to fit them. V1.2 2017-Jan-08 - Added fast-forward GUI buttons to Youtube™ player controls. Also, this extension should now control Youtube™ videos on most websites, not just youtube.com. When multiple Youtube™ players are on the same page, hotkeys will target the Youtube™ player you most recently interacted with (interact means to click it or press a key with the player focused). V1.1 2017-Jan-02 - Added GUI buttons to Youtube™ player controls. Also added ability to configure how far forwards / backwards you go. V1.0 - Initial release.
- (2020-01-12) mustafa beyceoğlu: I was looking for this since i got my surface. thanks dude, you are the best!
- (2019-12-29) RHYMIC: Really Helpfull. Thanks Guys
- (2019-09-26) Tommy Andretti: THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS, I LOVE IT. Sometimes you just skip something, having these buttons for fast rewind is so dope
- (2019-08-17) Graffin Burge: Exactly what I was looking for!
- (2019-08-17) Mark K: You are a godsend! You have relieved me of so much ineffable frustration of being unable to jump less than 5 seconds. Thank you a gazillion times squared exponentionally each passing second!
- (2019-05-24) Lucas TS: is nice, but when I click the like button, it loses focus of the player :(
- (2019-05-01) Slew: Would love for the keys to be configurable. I would like to use this feature with one hand using one key instead of doing a whole ctrl + command shortcut, similar to YouTubes 'J' 'K' 'L' defaults. Having the option for a 3 second skip is extremely helpful.
- (2019-03-08) Paco Boulanger: simple and efficient. like.
- (2019-02-26) Johan Revilla: Esta excelente, porque se puede aprender ingles, youtube solo te permite solo 5 segundos(lo cual es demasiado para mi cuando quiero escuchar una frase de nuevo) asi con esta extension puedo customizar el tiempo para poder escuchar la frase de nuevo en un intervalo mas corto, es lo que estaba buscando.
- (2019-01-29) Aaron Herbst: Would love it if it applied to all websites with videos, like VRV.
- (2019-01-29) Stefane Guevremont: This extension is pretty good. I would see this as a 5 star extension if: - The shortcut keys were configurable - The shortcut keys were global shortcut keys (worked even when the focus element is not on video player)
- (2019-01-18) Joachim D: Great, thanks Chris!
- (2019-01-07) Roy Blumenthal: Excellent extension. Makes it easy for me to transcribe research interviews. Really useful tool. Works perfectly and intuitively. Thank you for writing it, and for making it available for use! Really good work!
- (2018-11-01) Dan Nissenbaum: A critical extension for people doing serious work with videos (such as my purpose - research). The absence of rapid, easy scrolling in time back and forward in a video simply prevents use of videos in research. This extension solves this problem. Thanks for writing it!
- (2018-10-26) Sorawut Lertplangsanti: The new version 1.23 is great!!! Thank you.
- (2018-10-03) George Bradley: Cannot imagine not having a tool like this. Thank you. It works well for me.
- (2018-08-23) Shreenath Saranathan: Option to disable a second forward/rewind button would be great
- (2018-05-26) John Shearhart: This extension is awesome and a must-have for me, but it causes Google Inbox to load continuously so that nothing can be clicked. Any ideas? Thanks! EDIT: quickly fixed!
- (2017-12-05) Alvin Land: This extension is running on every web page, and is causing conflicts on certain sites. Please update permissions so that it ONLY runs on youtube. Otherwise it works well.
- (2017-11-05) あいこう: Very good!
- (2017-08-06) Juan Pazzi: thank you for developing this extension. I would like to submit a feature request Youtube Playback Bar - one that has play/pause, next, volume buttons Instant Replay Forward button - button that is implemented by Youtube Instant Replay extension Youtube Forward button - button that is implmented by default Youtube Playback Bar, hitting the button forwards to for 5 seconds ACTUAL: - when hitting Instant Replay Forward button, e.g. with Ctrl+Right, Youtube Playback Bar disappears after some time - when hitting Youtube Forward button, Youtube Playback Bar does not disappear and gets kept in focus EXPECTED: Youtube Playback Bar is kept in focus when hitting Instant Replay Forward button
- (2017-07-26) ZIAUL HASAN SHAIKH: Nice............it works..
- (2017-07-02) Fast and simple. Performs excellent.
- (2017-02-22) Niels Voorhoeve: Works well, but the icons are counter-intuitive. Fast forward icons rotate counter-clockwise. Reverse icons rotate clockwise. They should be flipped.
- (2017-02-11) springtrap gamplays y mas: la mejor ¿y por que? por que esta buenisima!!
- (2018-12-23, v:1.27) Casting
Good day - first, thank you for your development on this extension. It was exactly what I was looking for when I installed it. I have noticed one issue - the controls don't work when casting (e.g. Chromecast). Greatly appreciate if this capability can be incorporated. Thanks again, /r Nigol
- (2018-11-24, v:1.26) Luca Benazzi: (Continues)
Another problem I am having is that if I use the mouse to go backwards/forward, then I can't use the spacebar to stop/resume anymore. For some reason, after clicking on the extension's buttons, the spacebar just repeats what the button did last, and makes the video go back another 3 sec, rather than resume it.
- (2018-11-24, v:1.26) Luca Benazzi: Keyboard shortcuts not working on Mac
Ctrl + arrow keys doesn't seem to work, nor Cmd + Arrow keys. The icons do appear on the player, but using the mouse is really inconvenient. The best for me would actually to replace the Youtube default commands (arrow forward/backwards) with the 3 sec interval, and press shift to jump 10 sec forward/backwards. Thank you for your efforts.
- (2018-11-03, v:1.24) Rainbow Warrior Princess: BUG: Sometimes doesn't work (rewind & forward buttons don't appear, only after reload)
Sometimes doesn't work, the rewind & forward buttons don't appear - when I reload the video page, then it works (the buttons appear).