Opens the "Search google for" search in a background tab.
This extension makes the new tab, that are opened by "Search google for" , open in the background instead of the foreground. ### Important ### If it doesn't work. Go to the options page and follow the instructions. Make sure you have updated to version 0.0.4. You find the options page at this url: chrome-extension://fikfhablannhlgejpiklhbkonjkakodf/options.html ############ Changelog: 0.0.6: -Update to manifest version 2 -Small change to default regexp 0.0.5: -fix gcx for parameter
- (2019-12-31) Rune Hansen Duus: Sadly does not work anymore. Using v0.0.6 and tried the "auto setup" on the options page multiple times.
- (2019-10-09) s0ul: Somehow it doesn't work anymore...
- (2018-03-28) Bharata Ishaya: Works flawlessly (after setup). Go into the "Options" menu, highlight the text in the box, right click and perform the Google search. That's it!
- (2017-08-31) Luke Formosa: Worked perfectly. I just had to right-click the option in the top right of the screen, go to the options page and follow the instructions there to get it to work.
- (2017-08-10) Digital CHET: It's incredible that we have to rely on a third-party extension, but I'm grateful that there are users out there that share a modicum of logical reasoning and the have the ability to fix these issues. How this is yet not a default feature of the browser is beyond me. Extension Works exactly as expected after updating the info in the Options. Many thanks
- (2017-02-11) Sagittarius: not working.
- (2017-02-01) Rajesh Mani: Saved the day !!!
- (2016-12-20) E. O.: Why 30 kB-extension takes 15 MB RAM?
- (2016-07-06) Luc N: you saved my life. without this app, I would have been using firefox!!
- (2016-06-24) Scott Harris: Doesn't work, even followed the instructions
- (2015-11-11) 6447686C49474E686132556761584D675953427361575575: I tip my hat to you sir
- (2015-08-10) Łukasz Gruszka: Works great, thanks!
- (2015-06-28) Wami Duku: Doesn't work. Go to options and change the regular expression to https://www\.google\.\w+?/search\?q=.*?&aqs=chrome.*?&sourceid=chrome.* to fix it.
- (2014-09-29) Uahhk Laksng: Thanks for the effort, but the white flicker makes it unusable for me. I feel like I'm chased by paparazzi. There's another extension for doing a background search which doesn't have that problem. It adds a new button to your context menu which will open a standard google search in a background tab without any annoyances. Not gonna post the name in the review of your extension, but it's easy to find.
- (2014-06-13) Eddy Connors: Didn't work at first. Went to the options screen and followed the instructions. Works great, even after restarting Chrome. Yes, there is a momentary flicker, but that's better than having to use the Cmd/Ctrl key every time. Great extension!
- (2013-10-22) Eric Carlsen: I don't know of anything better but it seems like the fact that it stops working is built into its design. Going to the options basically tells you how to get it working again. Wish I could set and forget.
- (2013-01-15) Rio Wong: issue: other than English, searching of other language won't be in background tab. That's why it only sometimes functions properly
- (2012-11-10) Federico Sanson: Great!it should be the standard behaviour for chrome! the only problem is the one described by Marcos. If you fix this I'll pay you a beer:)
- (2012-08-05) Biscuit Eater: Works as expected. Brilliant workaround for an annoying issue.
- (2012-07-16) Kristina Jensen: Stops working several times a day; Going to the options page for an update is starting to be too much of a hassle when having to do it so often. Please do something about this!
- (2012-06-27) Alex Bruce: It doesnt seem to flicker anymore in version 19.0.1084.56 .. woo. Thank you Pitmairen for seeing a need and filling it for me.
- (2012-06-09) Anthony Vrabel: Read the review by Chief Badmoon if you are having problems with the url needing to be fixed several times a day. Mark it as helpful so others see it too!
- (2012-05-18) Patrick White: The fact that "Search Google for" doesn't open in a background tab is something about Chrome that has annoyed me for a long time. This extension fixes that and has made my life just a little better.
- (2012-03-21) atosmdq atosmdq: Beautiful. The only thing I would comment, is that I get a blink upon context search, as if the search tab actually came forward, and the original tab were quickly restored. A bit of a bummer. But all in all, great extension, thanks!
- (2019-12-21, v:0.0.6) Alexandros Alepoudellis: Not working on Version 79.0.3945.88
I'm running Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 on Kubuntu 18.04, fully upgraded. Also, is the source code of the addon available somewhere? Maybe I (and other developers) could help with updating it. And, of course, thanks for building this!
- (2019-12-18, v:0.0.6) Damian Foreman: This seems to have stopped working.
Version 79.0.3945.79 doesn't allow this extension to work and the options to right click the string and update the important stuff doesn't work anymore either.
- (2018-07-28, v:0.0.6) nostromov: CTRL on Windows
Hey, guys!..:) The -simple- FACT that the Extension is *not* needed if pressing the CTRL key when selecting "Search Google for", from the right-click menu, isn't mentioned anywhere in your information?! HOW COME, WHY? :-0 Best regards from Belgrade, Vladimir P.S. Wouldn't this be helpful for everyone? o.0
- (2018-07-28, v:0.0.6) nostromov: CTRL on Window$
Hey, guys!..:) The -simple- FACT that installing this Extension is *not* needed if we hold-down the CTRL key when selecting "Search Google for", from the right-click menu, isn't mentioned anywhere in your information?! WHY? :-0 Best regards from Belgrade, Vladimir
- (2015-01-31, v:0.0.6) Lennart Nilsen: More patterns
Would you be able to add several optional patterns to make this work with other right-click searches? I have an extension to also right-click search on imdb, but with your extension I have to choose which one I want to open in background.
- (2014-09-09, v:0.0.6) Stopped working recently
A few days ago this extension stopped working for me. I've tried the following: *) Going to the options page and following the instructions. Instead of successfully updating the string, it opens a new tab from Google search saying it can't find the search string. *) Removing and reinstalling the extension, then trying the above again, same result. My version information: Extension: 0.0.6 Google Chrome: 37.0.2062.103 (Official Build 291558) OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 Thank you.
- (2012-10-24, v:0.0.5) Rio Wong: automatic reconfigure
works well, but wish user doesn't have to reconfigure the extension before its working properly