Look up any word in an inline frame with a simple click and without leaving the page.
This extension that allows you to quickly look up definitions of words and phrases in a clean inline box. The definitions come from Wiktionary, but have been preprocessed to reduce formatting and provide faster lookup. Hold a modifier key (Alt on Windows, Command on Mac, Ctrl on Linux) and double-click or select any word to look it up - an inline box will open to the dictionary entry of that word, usually including examples, audio pronunciation and synonyms. You can also lookup manually-entered queries using a shortcut which displays a small query form. NOTES: 1. After installing, pages already open will not work for looking up - just refresh them and it'll be solved. 2. The Chrome Extensions Gallery pages don't allow lookup (or any on-page extensions) for security reasons. 3. This extension does not add a toolbar icon. Icon: http://www.iconarchive.com/show/buuf-icons-by-mattahan/Dictionary-icon.html Created by Paul Davey, used as per the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license. If you want to select different dictionaries, try Inline Search & Lookup: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/pebegifiepdlicjchldkdlmbohhhpcfi
- (2019-12-26) Sean Gilbertson: This is exactly what I wanted -- an extension that will show me _multiple_ definitions when I double-click on words on a web page. Works great on my Mac! Thank you for making this, Max!
- (2018-11-02) Chenghao ZHU: Great. But why ctrl+q scroll the page to the top? It's unexpected.
- (2018-09-02) Era Javukh: It's not working. It never did for the past year. I click on a word and nothing shows up.
- (2017-09-06) David Apricot: Fantastic. It uses sentences, synonyms, pronunciations, and great definitions! Get it.
- (2017-08-24) Luca Gentile: It uses a lot of memory
- (2017-06-20) Kate Marsh: Have you thought about porting this over to Edge? I have for myself but restarting the browser results in it breaking because it isn't signed. I think Edge users can benefit from this as there currently is no extension of its kind available
- (2017-03-25) Santiago Restrepo: je ne sais pas comment l'utilisser
- (2017-01-19) Mobin Skaria: Best Dictionary of all time.
- (2017-01-15) 黄圣达: 如果能保存翻译记录就好了..
- (2016-11-06) Markus Varis: Does only seem to pull English definitions from Wiktionary. Does not work for other languages. This is counter intuitive because Wiktionary contains a lot of information about a lot of languages.
- (2016-11-04) min haj: this is certainly cool but need improvement about voice output
- (2016-05-03) Tarek Ahmed: I realized that this extension interferes with the proper loading of some PDF files and causes them not to load at all.
- (2016-04-13) Jin Wang: This app interferes with pdf viewer in chrome! Got to fix this bug.
- (2015-06-07) dronem10: No longer will I have to copy-paste words onto a separate page. Just alt-click and definition appears. Perfect.
- (2015-05-17) Zii Heem: Alt + Mouse click, easy, simple. Like it
- (2015-04-20) Zaid Siddiqui: It' great, but I wish there was an option so the popup would just instantly go away instead of fade away.
- (2015-04-03) Ahmad mazahrah: it is the best for chrome
- (2015-04-01) Phillip Guerra: had to refresh the page so it would work!!!!
- (2015-03-04) Luis Felix: Era ottimo, ma ora non funziona più, e mostra solo una finestra vuota
- (2015-02-05) Ss Hh: Some of the definitions seem to be blatantly anti-Christian. What's up with that?
- (2015-01-27) Павел Владимирович: Worked, but it lacks warning that it doesn't work on already opened pages, you should refresh or open new page.
- (2015-01-26) Irun S: Either it doesn't do anything, or it suffers from lack of instruction.
- (2015-01-20) David Peacelover: Not at all user friendly.
- (2015-01-07) Kangkan Lahkar: Can't used it
- (2015-01-06) Akhilesh Tekade: Very useful !