Replaces the Google Chrome™ New Tab Page with the Apps Page.
NOTE: 29-Sep-2017 --------------------- A change in Chrome 61 has caused the address bar's contents to become unhighlighted when opening a new tab. This causes frustration because you can't just type a search when opening a new tab. This is currently under discussion in the Chrome bug tracker, e.g. https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=763711 https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=766331 I am continuing to watch the issue and also looking for a workaround. Apologies for the inconvenience. NOTE: 27-Apr-2015 --------------------- This extension is NOT compatible with Chromebooks. In ChromeOS, apps are accessed via the Launcher and not via the Chrome Apps page. The Chrome Apps page is blank within Chrome, therefore installing this extension will give you a blank new tab page. OVERVIEW -------- Since Chrome 33, many people have expressed the desire to have their Apps page automatically open upon creating a new tab. This extension does just that. Unfortunately the Apps page is not quite as nice as the old pre-Chrome 33 New Tab page, but it's still an improvement :) UPDATE: 19-Mar-2015 --------------------------------- Based on user feedback (thanks Ben!), I've added a new feature to this extension. In the previous version, if Chrome crashed it would display a "Restore" button upon restarting. Clicking this button would load all the tabs you had open just before the crash. The problem with this extension was that it would detect a new tab opening, and then load the Apps page, hence removing the "Restore" button. Your tabs would be lost forever! The new behaviour in this version is: the extension will detect if a crash occurred and will automatically reload your previous tabs. Please let me know if this causes any issues using the feedback details below. FEEDBACK ---------- .. is most welcomed. Send feedback via the Chrome Web Store, or open an issue on this project's GitHub page at: https://github.com/originalmind/newtab/issues NOTE ON THE SCREENSHOT ---------------------- This screenshot is featuring the awesome Chrome Theme: Lone Tree. You can get it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lone-tree/hfmkllfplegemejikoabfpjdaoncphip CHANGELOG --------- v1.1.10 * Handle browser crash - automatically restore tabs from crashed session * Removed console logging v1.0.3 * Updated app icon * Add short_name to manifest v1.0.0 * Improved load speed of Apps page * Restricted extension to Chrome 33 and later * Reduced required permissions - now requires only tabs and storage (for options) * Fixed issue in Chrome 34 which caused address bar text to be unselected. v0.0.28 (26-Feb-2014) * When opening new tab, address bar now remains focused so you can commence typing immediately. v0.0.10 (24-Feb-2014) * Initial release
- (2020-01-30) John Day III: Perfect. This puts Chrome back to the way it should be. Thank you!
- (2019-02-21) Leandro Baida de Oliveira: Just Perfect. It does exactly what it says. Small and precisely.
- (2019-02-11) Trent Hewton: Doing what the Chrome team should be doing. Thanks mate
- (2018-08-13) Marco: Same for me, i also live in switzerland, also i do not know how to add more google apps into the page?
- (2018-04-14) Needlefrick: Before I got this extension I had tab themes, and I thought the pictures would stay and the search bar would just be replaced by the apps, But all my themes disappeared, even after I disabled this extension. terrible.
- (2017-10-18) Henning Hoefer: Perfect! Fixing the bad decisions of the Chrome team, one extension at a time :-)
- (2017-10-05) Azmi Razr: please fix url bar :(
- (2017-10-03) Jos Quinten: Who the hell at chrome team decided it was a good idea to un-highlight the URL. All New Tab extensions have become useless this way :O :(
- (2017-09-08) Tam Nguyen: Can you fix this extension? With the new Chrome update, it no longer highlights the URL when a new tab is created, and it messes with my flow quite a bit. Thanks!
- (2017-05-28) İşsiz Adam: çalışmıuor
- (2017-05-18) Simple. Straightforward. No options or bells or whistles. Just presents your apps page when you open a new tab instead of going to the google search page. Love it.
- (2015-09-22) Chris Wu: It's actually very good extension, but for people with important bookmarks, the bookmarks disappear and you can't access them until you disable this extension. ;(
- (2015-04-19) Tim Cagle: Could not seem to get this to do anything useful on my HP pavilion Chromebook 14
- (2015-01-31) elyfianti kholifatur: good
- (2014-11-08) This addon is really awesome! I am using it for a while now and I love it. Feedback: It would be nice if you could change the locale of the default apps (maps, google search). It always redirects me to the US services but I live in Switzerland ;) Or I haven't found the option to change it yet.
- (2014-07-29) Gabriel Walsh: Decent app and does what it says. The only thing I can't figure out is how to enable a background image like the one you display in your stock pictures. Is the background image in your app listing the chrome theme or something you uploaded?
- (2014-04-07) Nevell Harris: Great app, if you can program the extension to purge the Omnibox of "chrome://apps", you'll earn your 5 star rating.
- (2014-03-06) Tobias Mallo: It does what it says :>
- (2014-03-03) tristan cox: THANK YOU!! This app was exactly what I wanted, and what chrome is dead set against me having, Thank you again.
- (2014-03-02) Alex de la Cruz: Still needs to clear Chrome://apps from the omnibar, show recently closed tabs, and recently visited sites
- (2014-02-24) Sasha Reid: Does what it says, but leaving "chrome://apps" in the location bar without selecting it means that if you start typing with the intent to search in the omnibox, you're going to have a bad time.
- (2018-12-29, v:1.1.10) Evan Fedor: My Chromebook will not boot.
After short time white screen with google icon and text "chrome" screen will go black and in the middle is "!" in a small red background. After short time is just black.
- (2018-08-30, v:1.1.10) Alexandre Gomes: Why do you require Navigation History?
Why do you request Navigation History?
- (2018-06-17, v:1.1.10) ChristRegeneration: use of extension
Hi How do I add an app to the apps page? I cant seem to figure it out? I can drag and drop from my favourites for websites, but the icon is really small in a white square
- (2018-03-17, v:1.1.10) Katherine Elizabeth Walker: GREAT RESPONSE
I am just reading reviews and wanted to say this developer takes the time to respond and help users with tips and workarounds like no one I've seen here! My suggestion is for google and chrome to move these kinds of developers to the top of their suggested downloads! THANKS!
- (2017-10-03, v:1.1.10) Chrome 61 Regression
Thanks for checking into why the new tab apps page no longer works. I really like this app and hate having to be forced to highlight the text in the search bar before entering new text.
- (2017-08-09, v:1.1.10) Henning Hoefer: URL no longer auto-selected
Since Chrome 61 the contents of the URL bar of a new tab are no longer automatically selected. Therefore, when typing a URL or search terms it doesn't replace the "chrome://apps" but inserts before it.
- (2016-11-15, v:1.1.10) On Launch Issue
I've noticed that everytime I launch chrome after installing this extenstion that 2 windows will open (where I left off).
- (2015-04-27, v:1.1.10) Cathy Lin: How do you stop having this extension?
I'm trying to run another extension that is being overridden by this one. How do I stop this one from continuing to run?