Offers the ability to save tab(s) and bookmarks as Internet shortcut files.
- (2023-06-17) Prashant: Amazing!
- (2023-01-29) Matthew: Used to work good. Now when I save Chrome Web Pages to a folder, I'll go back in and click on the shortcut only to open on just the regular google homepage. Not the website. Oh well, anything good doesn't last forever.
- (2023-01-27) yotta117: Does whait it says, I would love it if it allowed me to select which ones
- (2022-09-28) Laurent Hivon: Je ne peux plus m'en passer. En deux clics, crée un hyperlien stocké comme un fichier. Grand merci.
- (2022-08-31) Артем Бородин: Не работает сохранение всех закладок в браузере Vivaldi, начиная со 102 движка, все остальное работает нормально.
- (2022-02-20) masvil: This is a great way to locally save links on Windows 11, which doesn't support drag and drop from the address bar anymore. Great job, dev!
- (2022-01-05) 윤천: Good to use! Very Nice!
- (2022-01-05) gbzorro: An outstanding app. I never want to use my Chromebook without it.
- (2021-06-11) Saman Asiaban: nice
- (2021-03-31) Mrs Hotspur: I've used this extension for quite a while, first with Chrome and now with Edge, and I've never had any problems with it. I'm so glad Save as Shortcut is available and still updated for those of us who prefer desktop shortcuts!
- (2021-03-14) sd di: very good ,but has access to history.
- (2020-12-26) michael schumacher: Thanks for this extension, works great! Not sure if it's technically possible but since you said "Q: Can this extension be updated to do X? A: I'm open to ideas so feel free to contact me." I'll give it a try :) Would be great if you could add an option "Save as shortcut" to the context menu when you right-click on the tab. I'd personally prefer this rather than having an extra icon on the extension bar.
- (2020-12-01) Padmasambhava sambhava: Just a wonderful extension. I use it several times a day and I never tire of it. And what a good idea to have added the forbidden characters ("* /: <>? \ |) as Unicode characters. Finally, link names like "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" are possible. Thank you very much and continue your excellent work.
- (2020-10-16) CatAntiCast: Good!!
- (2020-09-19) Arjun Raj: WOW... saving urls as files in file system in better than any kind of bookmarking or web clipping that all these evernote and onenote fans all rave about... i just wish i had thought about this years ago and i probably didn't think about because html files saved in chrome using the save as menu only saves it as html files that are offline copies of the webpage; but this extension creates html files that load the online webpage. This is exactly what i wanted. Thank you so much sir/ma'am.
- (2020-09-18) Cutíe Crúz: ⌘U That is the shortcut that I have mapped to this indispensable and ingenious extension. Lived just two days without Save as Shortcut and felt the pain of not having this useful tool. Just tested the shortcut this morning and it works again! Thank you for giving the world such an essential tool for Google Chrome users, and thank you for your consiencience and diligent efforts to want to do good by your users. Ben FTW!!
- (2020-08-18) audiobws: I love this extension and have been using it on my Mac for years. I use preview (Quicklook) all the time for quick lookups. However, about 10% of the time the webloc file won't preview and wants to open in Safari instead of Chrome. Repeated attempts at creating a webloc usually does't help, but sometimes I can come back another day and successfully save it as a Chrome webloc (if I haven't already broken down and simply dragged the URL to create a shortcut). I switched to .html for a while, but soon realized I couldn't preview them. Is there anything that can be done about these occasional Safari weblocs?
- (2020-08-06) Boris Baran: This extension is insanely useful, especially under Linux!
- (2020-03-28) Carlton Doorman: Hi, Just excellent Extension. I use it each day and many time. I don't know if I can do that but sorry If I can't. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/savescreenshot/?src=recommended This extension is like your but, I really don't understand how he does that, it's not even necessary to see the scrolling window but his apps copy all (scrolling windows too) Don't know if you can modify your extension to do that. Sorry I have no money to give at this moment. Thanks for your great Extension !!!
- (2020-02-13) Tim Curtin: Absolutely essential. My bookmarks are an absolute mess. I've been using this app to create a kind of dashboard folder on my desktop to sites I go to every day. Great app, hugely helpful
- (2020-01-02) Mike Sparos: Great !!!!!!!. Thanksssssss
- (2019-08-26) Rombout Versluijs: Super sweet! But what happened to shortcut? i could use cmd shift s to quick save using this extension. Somehow stopped last week :(
- (2019-05-13) Khue Dinh: The extension is very good.
- (2019-03-23) Luther G Tate: March 23, 2019 This is the extension I use most often, several times a day, and therefore the best. I like having a copy of the links I visit every day and I visit a lot. If one had to choose one and only one extension it would be this one. Thanks to the programmer of this wonderful extension!
- (2019-02-20) Ray Foss: No cross platform option, seriously. Look at what the WebCuts extension does, it creates an HTML meta redirect file which works everywhere. https://superuser.com/questions/538089/how-to-create-cross-platform-internet-shortcut-files
- (2018-12-30) registrierungs genervter: Great thing. You get all five if you anyhow manage to make the save-as-dialog remember the last save location.
- (2018-12-30) Charles Lee: How can I use it in "bilibili.com" ? It failed.
- (2018-12-14) Антон Шаповалов: Не работает на Yandex browser mobile. А на компьютере можно и без расширения обойтись. Создать ярлык url легко - просто перетяните мышкой адрес сайта из адресной строки в проводник windows.
- (2018-06-19) Uncle Abner: If you enable 'Ask where to save each file before downloading' in Chrome settings, you can choose where to save the shortcut. This also eliminates the harmful file warning.
- (2018-03-20) Thanasak: ใช้งานได้สะดวกดี thanks!
- (2018-03-14) Charles W: Was working great but now it has stopped working.
- (2018-02-13) azog azog: Great and amazing extension ! thank you
- (2017-11-26) Alexander Hjalmarsson: Almost perfect. Would love some customisation like having the default file name being the title of the page minus the actual URL. Also maybe just directly saving without the dialog box. Thanks anyays!
- (2017-05-05) DaveM: good, works, simple
- (2017-03-14) Warmuser: Works perfectly but will be much better if become integrated on the address bar. I hope. Update - The extension does not work on Vivaldi Browser!
- (2017-02-08) Александр Мальков: This extension really helped me out! Very convenient to use. Thanks to the developer! Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (Debian 8.7 Jessie, Mate 1.8.1), Chromium v.56
- (2016-12-12) metal502: Must have when your browser doesn't support this natively.
- (2016-11-01) Michael: I desperately want an extension to save a shortcut to a web page- this was a disappointment! 3 clicks on the extension and a click on 'this file may harm your computer'... I HATE THIS BABYSITTER POLICY CRAP! LET ME TURN IT OFF!
- (2016-07-16) vasili111: Does what it have to do.
- (2016-04-05) hisham majeed: I would love if it stores the page as a bookmark to , makes it easily searchable in chrome Also can you please add a keyboard shortcut option
- (2016-03-26) Charlie Randall: This App saved me from going to another search engine and I really like Chrome. Chrome, please make this a part of the browser and save future users the misery I went through. If IE can get this right why can't you. Although it does take me two clicks, I love this app and I think it is the best I have tried.
- (2016-03-12) I use an Ubuntu based os. This app does a fine job of saving the .desktop file. Chrome however does a bad job of opening the .desktop file. Chrome and Chromium, from my experience always re-downloads the shortcut, instead of opening the webpage. If this issue were solved I'd rate 5 stars. I realize that this is a greater Chrome based browser issue, and not that of this application.
- (2016-03-06) Diego Marzorati: Excellent. Missing the option to choose where to save the shortcut only for that 4 stars.
- (2016-02-22) Larry Goltry: I use this Invaluable extension umpteen times a day. As a Computer Tech I'm always adding to my collection of tools. So, I create a folder for a program. In the folder I keep the portable or setup executable. A PDF and a Text file that tells me everything about the program. And finally, i like to have a stand alone bookmark to find my way easily back to the program's webpage without having to search for it in my bazillion bookmarks in chrome.
- (2015-12-26) Michael Chen: Good to use!
- (2015-12-10) Sam Lorenz: Awesome!! I hated how I can't just save a page as a .url on Chrome but then I found this. Thank you guys.
- (2023-09-02, v:4.65.1945) gbzorro: Today, my assigned hotkeys for activating the extension -- Shft-Ctrl-V -- stopped working.
Any suggestions? Thank you.
- (2023-08-26, v:4.65.1945) Geoff Buchus: Save as Shortcut
Great Extension but is missing the "Web Document Tab", as this is where the shortcut Icon can be changed - any chance it could be added ???
- (2023-03-21, v:4.65.1945) Boris Baran: An option to change the file name of the shortcut generated
It'd be nice, if the user could chose the filename of the shortcut file the extension generates (that'd be especially useful when making shortcuts to, say, YouTube Shorts videos, where the videos often have the same titles, but e.g. the date is different).
- (2023-03-04, v:4.65.1945) Carlton Doorman: This wonderful extension for Edge and Firefox
March 2023, Hope to see a soon day this incredible extension for Microsoft Edge and Mozilla Firefox. Thanks a lot and have a nice day!
- (2022-07-13, v:4.65.1945) Himes: Option to open new window when opening file
I tend to use multiple Chrome windows for diffrent uses. I find it really annoying that there is no option to open the tabs in a new Chrome window because I would like to open the files and it all going to a new window instead of it adding to an existing Chrome window. If this is already a thing its not clear where it is or what it is called... Thanks!
- (2022-06-14, v:4.65.1945) MurderChickenXL: Can no longer export to a text file?
Just last week I was able to export all open tabs to a text file and all I had to do was copy each one and paste them into my browser, but now the only option available is to save all the tab urls as a zip file. What happened? You extension was a life-saver but now I can't figure out a practical way to use it.
- (2022-06-09, v:4.65.1945) בטיפול ישראל: %tabs% not working
%tabs% not working
- (2022-04-08, v:4.65.1945) Darrell Harris: Bookmarks Archive Usage
Great Coding! I am assuming the reason for archiving all bookmarks is to be able to restore or import them later, am I right? I ask because I would love to somehow export (archive) bookmarks to windows some how, sort or delete or edit then save them back into chrome. Am I dreaming?
- (2021-06-10, v:4.64.1936) Olivier Israel: Last link in memory
Hi, First thanks a lot for this wonderful extension. I use it everyday and 20 times or more. The present bug exist in the past and you corrected it. Not it come back. When we save one link, the next link we save is not what we want but the last one. Sorry to not give you money and I find pity we live in "money world". My thanks are not a simple thanks because I really like what you do. Thanks for all that.
- (2021-05-13, v:4.64.1933) Metal Quintessence: Disable the Context Menu not working
The option to disable the Context Menu entry isn't working properly, it allows to switch between the two Enabled options, but when you select the Disable option, the Context Menu entry doesn't disappears unless you disable the extension all together. I'm on Opera Version:76.0.4017.123 and a fresh Windows 7 Ultimate x64 OS install.
- (2021-03-16, v:3.61.1706) Cutíe Crúz: Save as Shortcut [Keep or Discard]
Hi Ben! When I save a page URL, the following dialog comes up. “This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep Save as Short….webloc anyway? Then have to choose "Keep" to download the URL. Used to just download without any interecation.
- (2021-03-02, v:3.61.1706) Anthony Veale: Segfault since browser update
Since updating Vivaldi (3.6.2165.40 based on chromium 88.0.4324.186) selecting "Save as shortcut" from the context menu on any page crashes the browser with the following messages: [32376:32376:0301/181033.639531:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0) [32376:32376:0301/181033.639588:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0) [32376:32376:0301/181033.639724:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0) [32376:32376:0301/181033.639784:ERROR:CONSOLE(0)] "Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.", source: chrome-extension://mpognobbkildjkofajifpdfhcoklimli/browser.html (0) Segmentation fault
- (2021-02-15, v:3.61.1706) Andrew Mayer: Bookmarks to File subdirectory structure?
Would it be straightforward to adapt this extension to perform the same basic "save as" function, but starting at any any chosen folder in one's bookmarks (or all), recurse over that subdirectory structure and replicate the equivalent subdirectory structure of folders and individual .html files in the filesystem? Alternately, some script that would process an exported bookmarks.html file offline and do this? This is something I would use a lot...as it would leverage all the tools available in the filesystem for the purpose of organizing bookmarks, deleting duplicates, regexp searching, adjusting dates, etc. Then perhaps the inverse function of taking a subdirectory structure of folders and links and producing a bookmarks.html.file to import into browsers? Thanks in advance!
- (2021-02-14, v:3.61.1706) Nick Weber: Erasing tags when saved
Love this app, just started having an issue. I save to various folders and add tags so I can find them again easily. Tags used to work just fine, but now I've noticed, though I add them, somehow they are removed in the saving process and I have to go into Finder and retag them. Is this a setting that's changed or a bug you're aware of? Thanks for any help!
- (2021-01-12, v:3.61.1706) Pierre Trudel: Option greyed out and only save as HTML. URL not available
On Window 10, Chrome 87.0.4280.141 Inspect, Console give one error message : Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
- (2020-09-18, v:2.47.1108) Cutíe Crúz: ⌘U
That is the shortcut that I have mapped to this indispensable and ingenious extension. Lived just two days without Save as Shortcut and felt the pain of not having this useful tool. Just tested the shortcut this morning and it works again! Thank you for giving the world an essential tool for Google Chrome users, and thank you for your consiencience and diligent efforts to want to do good by your users. Ben FTW!!
- (2020-09-18, v:2.46.1104) Cutíe Crúz: I've been Saved by Shortcut!
Thank you for the speedy response Ben! Looking forward to being up and running with such a great extension!
- (2020-09-17, v:2.46.1104) Cutíe Crúz: Save as Shortcut no longer saves urls
On macOS Mojave running Chrome Version 84.0.4147.89. As of yesterday, Save as Shortcut no longer works. Does not save Urls. Not sure if it's due to any changes to Google's preference changes on their end.
- (2020-09-17, v:2.46.1104) Richard Lamm: No longer works in Opera Browser...It does work in Chrome
no longer saves a shortcut and Options is grayed out in Opera Browser Version:70.0.3728.178
- (2020-08-18, v:2.43.1068) William Pierson: No 'Options' In Win 7
Hey Ben. Thanks for this extension. On both the 32 and 64 bit, most up to date versions of Chrome, the 'Options' button is grayed out. Without Options, I can't take it from HTML to URLs.
- (2020-04-22, v:2.43.1068) Gary Elley: Crashes File Explorer
Hi Ben. Still love this extension and would still pay for it if necessary, but must report apparent issue this week after updating to Chrome 81.0.4044.122. Normal use now crashes Win 10 Home File Explorer during Save As operation.
- (2019-12-26, v:2.43.1068) Jim Komasinski: Saved Shortcut Format
I have "Save as Shortcut" on an XP, and now a Win 10 machine. When it creates a sc on the XP machine, the file produced is a shortcut file. When it creates a sc on the Win 10 machine, it produces Chrome HTLM Document files... Is something wrong, or is there an option I need to change, etc. Thanks for your work... a great tool. If you have time, and consider it worthwhile, please advise, thanks. Jim Komasinski [email protected]
- (2019-08-24, v:2.39.1043) Matt King: Can't save without mouse
Love this extension; use it many times a day. But, With the latest update, it became hard to use. I am blind, use a screen reader, and rely on keyboard interaction. I have a keyboard shortcut for saving the current page, I used to be able to press enter from the file name edit box and it would activate save. As of the 8/22 update, this does not happen. I have to use screen reader mouse emulation to find the save button and click it. Can you make the save current the default action activated with enter? Could you put the save buttons in the tab order inside the dialog? Right now tabbing just goes between the file name and url edit fields. Many thanks for this extension!!
- (2019-07-21, v:2.36.962) D B: save link url as shorcut
As for deskcut in old firefox, you could add the option to save a link on a page as a shortcut as well from the context menu. The strenght of your extension is that it allows for not having to move around the windows to uncover a bit of bare desktop space (as chrome would have you do it).
- (2019-07-06, v:2.36.962) Cuetipper: shortcut promts
everytime I open a shortcut created by this it prompts me if i want to open this file. how do i stop that?
- (2019-04-25, v:2.36.962) Andrew Mayer: 1 suggestion and 1 problem
suggestion: it would be nice to have this script be able to loop thru all open tabs so we can "save every open tab to an individual shortcut" if thats possible, maybe a way to recursively export a bookmarks folder or entirety of ones bookmarks to a windows subdirectory structure? Problem: i cant figure out how to stop chrome from explicitly asking me for permission for every single shortcut. im sure its some setting but perhaps you know which one? its not the multiple automatic downloads setting your extension explicitly points to. thanks. very useful
- (2019-03-28, v:2.36.962) Gary Elley: Thank you!
Thanks for adding persistent last folder memory in version 2.32 (2019/03/24). Been hanging out for that!
- (2019-03-25, v:2.30.848) Roxanne Lucchesi: Save As Shortcut Not Working :(
Hi. #1. I LOVE THIS EXTENSION! #2. It has stopped working. I removed it, then added the (updated) extension. It still is not working. It looks like this: Version 2.30.848; Size < 1 MB; ID flehofiklehmnnolpjcamplcnmhgcbkk; Inspect views background page. Don't know if this information helps. I hope Save As Shortcut gets well (very) soon. Don't know how I will live without it.
- (2019-03-23, v:2.30.840) Jon McGuire: Undefined.undefined problem is back
Sadly, Chrome updated itself again (on Win10 73.0.3683.86 right now) and broke the extension. I'm prompted with a save-as dialog with undefined.undefined as the filename. I'll go nuts without this extension, I use it about five times a day. Kills me that I'm blocked from installing it at the office.
- (2019-03-16, v:1.26.705) Kyle Lacey: No name note
Upon saving URL I get a text document called e654b06f-2b6e-4f33-9f5d-b50848b0356a, is this supposed to be the name I chose? Google drive gLinks doesn't open this by default
- (2019-02-20, v:1.26.705) Save As not working; Version 1.26.705
Just loaded today Save As not available. Options grayed out, but not sure if you have any
- (2019-02-04, v:1.26.705) Gary Elley: Chrome 72 breaks extension
Hi, Love this extension . . . one of my top 2 most used. So I'm bummed that it's apparently broken after updated Chrome to version 72.0.3626.81 on Win 10 Home. The file is no longer downloaded with an extension (it's just a number string) and the Chrome error message is "Failed - Network Error". Tried rebooting PC, then reinstalling the extension. No good. Note: I would pay for this extension if necessary.