Reminds you to take a break, because breaks are good for your health and productivity
Do you work for long periods of time and forget to take regular breaks? Break helper reminds you to take a break with a notification and helps you track your progress with timers and statistics page. How to use To start using Break Helper you don't really need to do anything, just install it. The default settings use Pomodoro technique (25 minutes of work and 5 minutes of break time). If you want to change these settings to other preprogrammed techniques (like 20-20-20 or 50-10) or design your own custom technique, just click on the Break helper icon and inside the popup click "Preferences". You will be redirected to a Options page where you can set your configuration. To check how much time is left until the next break simply click on Break helper icon and inside the popup you will find a timer that tells you how much time is left until the next break. Updates: Update 1.6.3: Fixed playing sound when break is finished Update 1.6: Added back "Take a break" and "Skip this break" buttons, added countdown timers displaying break duration to the break notification, fixed playing break notification sound. Update 1.4: Added "Stop timer", changed notification sound to a louder one, added a timer on the extension button Update 1.3.1: Fixed notification appearance in Windows 7. Update 1.3: timer reset and time left until next break functionality was added. Minor bugs were fixed. Update 1.2: audio notification when break ends and Pomodoro technique were added. Update 1.1: a timer was added to the notifications for easier break duration tracking Update 1.0: we have two rules you can choose from: 1) 20-20-20, which is "Every 20 minutes look at an object at least 20 feet (~6 meters) away for 20 seconds". 2) 50-10, which is "Work for 50 minutes, take a break for 10 minutes" If you have any problems, suggestions or just want to contact me, please email me at "breakhelper (at) tautvidas.com". I will do my best to help you. More updates are coming soon, stay tuned :)
- (2018-09-27) Lucas Nesci: It was working fine, but now the break starts automatically even though you don't click on "take a break" when the popup appears.
- (2017-10-17) The idea is great, execution is poor. The timer runs no matter what, resetting the timer or even stopping it does nothing. The timer just keeps going, making double and tripple notifications, and like I said keeps going even though I have pressed stop and the counter is staying at 00:00. Until it's fixed it's not useable.
- (2017-05-18) Serena T: Great extension, the timer starts on its own which is useful. Please add sound notification for end of break time. Also, it's hard to read the timer countdown; please change the font colour on the green background from white to black.
- (2017-02-26) Wiz TV: really good but when custom, please create setting to minutes too. not just to second. i have to convert my minutes to second :D
- (2016-02-05) Jacob Lam: Helpful when I am working hard.
- (2014-10-20) Claudia Dias: Don't need any permissions, and you can configure the intervals!! Easy and great, just what I needed!!
- (2014-06-18) Amanda R DeWitt: I can see it counting down on my sidebar, but nothing happens when it's time to take a break or finish a break, so I just have to start it over if I decide to take a break...not all I was promised!
- (2013-08-20) Łukasz Korzybski: Excellent, better than others and does not need any permissions.
- (2013-08-09) is it possible for the developer to make a background app so it runs even with chrome closed?
- (2013-07-31) Marcia Kalisch: What happened to the break timer. I now just get a popup saying "You've been working for quite a while, please take a break". No more countdown.
- (2012-11-06) Ding-Yi Chen: The feature set looks promising and does not require loads of permission. However, the actual function does not work on Chrome 22.0.1229.94 Linux
- (2012-09-02) corrado colombo: It cannot stop the timer, lack of a toolbar button and timer, the sound isn't loud.
- (2012-08-30) Dima R: Great tool!
- (2012-08-17) Sergio Abraham: I think this app could be better.. At the moment it lacks one fundamental feature: to be able to stop the timer!! Notifications are ok,, but sometimes sounds are not triggered..:/
- (2012-02-05) Mohamed Amine Larabi: Perfect and strong timer ! could you add : - a loud sound when work finishs - a visual countdown icon on the toolbar
- (2019-08-02, v:1.6.3) Ana Goly: Sound
Can you make the sound replaceable? The system one is irritating.
- (2018-10-24, v:1.6.3) Gabor Kuti: Time period when active
Hi, I'd like to have a feature added that we'd only get notified in set hours, say from 9am to 6pm. I am using the 20-20-20 rule to look out the window and it's not much use in the evening when it is dark outside. Also I'd like to play some games at that time instead ;). Great app btw! Many thanks, Gabor
- (2018-07-27, v:1.6.2) End of Break sound
The sound for end of break has never worked. Suggestions?
- (2017-08-03, v:1.6.1) Sound doesn't play when break ends
Sound doesnt play when break ends. Please fix this issue. Please Please Please
- (2017-06-28, v:1.6.1) Charistia Chiok: Break Helper pop up no longer working
I no longer get a pop up when the timer has expired. How do I fix this please?
- (2015-01-01, v:1.4.4) yaron elh: Sound is not played anymore
Hi, The great helper sound is not Playing anymore when the Calendar has finished, plus it's not playing when the brake is finished. At least it's what I'm experiencing in the new chrome version
- (2014-06-11, v:1.4.3) Abhijit Khanna: Break Helper pop up not working
Looks like others are reporting this same issue....mine no longer pops up when the timer has expired. And it used to restart automatically, but it no longer does this either.
- (2014-06-08, v:1.4.3) Kurt Gruber: Break Helper not working anymore
I started having this issue after temporarily disabling BH in Chrome. When enabled it again, it counts down, but there is no notification. I tried deleting and reinstalling it. Disabling all my other extentions, clearing browser cache and cookies, changing the rule in options, but nothing helps. I have Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m and Windows 7 Home Premium X32 SP1.
- (2013-07-14, v:1.4.2) Ria: break helper not working anymore
Hi! I really love BH and am sad that it suddenly stopped working last week. I think there may have been an update with Chrome or something, but no matter what I do, the break popup no longer shows up! I have tried disabling all other extensions, clearing browser settings, and deleting my user profile/reinstalling, but nothing seems to work. Have you heard of any issues? Thank you!
- (2012-09-25, v:1.4) Konstantin Simonov: Doesn't work in Chrome beta Linux after update
I have Chrome Version 22.0.1229.64 beta on Linux. And after last update extension just stopped work. Apply button in settings doesn't do anithing. Timer can't be run. There is no timer on toolbar button. This version still works on my Mac. But I think it has more older version of Chrome. Thanks