This extension allows you to go to a tab that is emitting sound.
Tired of having a hard time looking for the tab that has the playing icon to go to the thing you were watching or listening to? Sometimes you have lots of tabs open and finding the tab that's playing can be a hassle. This Chrome extension solves that problem by allowing you to go to the tab that is playing audio by simply clicking a button or with a keyboard shortcut. Simply click on the button in the toolbar and you will go instantly to the tab that is playing audio. It works with different windows too. You can be in Window A and if something is playing in Window B, Window B will be focused in the playing tab. By default no keyboard shortcuts are specified, to set them go to Settings -> Extensions -> Keyboard Shortcuts (it's at the bottom). It can also close playing tabs with a keyboard shortcut or by right clicking on the icon. When you do the command once it will close all tabs emitting sound except the current tab, do the command again and it will close the current tab (if it's emitting sound). This is good if you're watching something and want to close all other tabs that are emitting sound except the thing you're watching. I recommend using the keyboard shortcuts, I find them very useful, especially when they're set to global. Update V2: - Support for changing between 2 different playing tabs. - Added keyboard shortcut to close all playing tabs. Update V3: - Fixed a thing pertaining global hotkeys and window focus. Update V4: - Made it so it wont close a playing tab that is focused unless it's the only one left. Update V5: - Added a context menu to close playing tabs. Right click the icon to see it. - Fixed a problem with not all tabs closing. - Now it cycles through all tabs that are emitting sound not just two. Update V6: - Now with true multi window support. Update V6.3 - There are no longer default keyboard shortcuts to avoid interrupting workflows. You can set them manually in the settings. Keywords: Go to tab emitting sound Change to tab with sound Show tab that is sounding Making noise Close tabs with sound Close tabs emitting sound
- (2023-03-28) todd densmore: This is a sanity saver! I am so glad I found it. Thank you. I have hundreds of tabs open at any given time, and I lose my mind after a reboot. Previous attempts have been less that idea. MUTE TAB HAS SAVED SOME SANITY and LOTS OF TIME!
- (2023-03-13) Mr S: So simple, so good. Does just what is described. Without this I would lose my mind
- (2022-07-15) Dave Hotchkiss: This is such a simple and effective fix for the pervasive problem of trying to figure out which tab is playing audio. Now when I hear unexpected audio, I'll stop it in literally about 5 seconds. If there are multiple tabs playing audio, just repeat the process and it will find each of them in turn. Fantastic.
- (2022-07-06) Shopper: OMG solves the F'nGoogle Chrome problem!
- (2022-06-03) Jeremy Moore: Perfect in its simplicity!
- (2022-02-08) Ventsislav Staykov: Nice one!
- (2022-02-04) Perfect. Simple. Works. Thank you.
- (2021-12-04) Mehrdad Oveisi: Works great. Chrome should have had this feature itself though.
- (2021-11-24) John Weiss: OMG IT WORKS. Even between different windows. Tiny footprint. Great job!
- (2021-11-14) Martin: Marvelous, does what it says and does it well.
- (2021-11-10) Chris Thomas: THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed when my computer rebooted to update and Chrome came back up with my ocean of tabs, with one of them playing sound as I was trying to log in to work. Works exactly as described!
- (2021-08-10) Dominique Richardson: 🔥🔥🔥
- (2021-08-07) Lorelei Black: does exactly what it says it does. yes, in this, the year of our lord 2021, i did manage to lose what tab was playing a video because i had so many open i could no longer see the speaker icon. saved my life, thanks
- (2021-06-27) Muhammet TURŞAK: perfect
- (2021-06-17) BJ Pike: Seems to work. Thank you.
- (2021-06-16) Mike Ross: Brilliant and unobtrusive extension. Does exactly what it says on the tin! Thanks
- (2021-03-19) Carmen Kwok: awesome, thanks man
- (2020-12-12) Gianfranco Palumbo: does what it says
- (2020-11-04) Jose Haro Peralta: life saver!!!!!!
- (2020-04-14) Fahim Bhatty: Where have you been all my life?
- (2020-04-10) JoGa Leone: great extenson...especially if a fleeting idea comes to you and you quickly want to silence audio and write it down without missing out on whatever you're listening to
- (2019-12-23) Aleksandra Daniel: Worked immediately & easily and that's all I need. Many thanks to the developer.
- (2019-12-19) Serguei Khasimkhanov: Excellent. Chrome glitched for me and had an invisible Youtube video open. This extension forced Chrome to show it to me.
- (2019-12-18) Nikita Groot: Doesn't work - just get a blank white rectangle on the outside tab of the second window
- (2019-11-28) Justin Luchter: A work of staggering genius. So necessary, quite appreciated. <3
- (2019-11-23) Dan M: Thank you! From everyone who keeps a million tabs open at once
- (2019-10-17) cars x: bro.thank you.
- (2019-09-29) Tony Faubert: Does exactly as described.
- (2019-09-26) Dino Dinicola: Best extension I ever used!
- (2019-09-22) Michael Bee: I took this off because I don't like adding extensions, but I had to add it back. I missed it too much. What a shame I can't build it from source. Then I'd feel more comfortable about running it.
- (2019-09-20) Skee Lo: Extension developer you are a genius. Absolutely mind blowing that Google can't have this built into Chrome; seems their MO lately is ignoring practicality only to add useless functionality. I have my Chrome window buttons ungrouped on the taskbar and frequently have 80 or more windows open so trying to figure out which one is playing music is a painstaking task. I love how you can keep clicking the extension icon to cycle through windows playing sound as well. Thanks so much! Go die in a fire Google.
- (2019-09-10) Ben Ruppel: I was going nuts looking for a noisy tab. This extension fixed that. 5/5 stars google should get a clue, integrate this functionality, and hire the dev.
- (2019-03-23) SaveTheFuture: Literally the best extension to date
- (2019-03-05) Sam Treloar: I don't understand how I've got this far in life without this extension thank you.
- (2018-12-30) Асмати Чибалашвили: very well
- (2018-12-02) Or Schiro: Tolle Erweiterung! Wie sie funktioniert, das habe ich in diesem Artikel mal erklärt: http://orschi.ro/schnell-den-aktuell-spielenden-tab-mit-musik-finden/
- (2018-09-11) Edmond Baer: Does exactly what it says. Press the icon and it takes you to the tab that plays audio. It can even cycle.
- (2018-04-18) Robert from Sheetgo: Nice idea and very well designed!
- (2017-10-05) qqt pie: I am looking for a donation link. This person deserves a few bucks. I have been waiting for this.
- (2017-08-16) restcure: Works great - roommate still sleeping. Be aware though: it takes over settings page shortcut (⌘ + comma - as well as ⌘ + shift + comma) on installation. (using extension ver. 6.2)
- (2017-03-09) Klaus Stock: Jumps to the tab which is emitting audio, even across different windows. Works reliably and very efficient to use.
- (2016-05-04) Is Ra: Excelente!
- (2022-01-05, v:6.3) Shane Etzenhouser: Useful for notifications?
I have tabs that will make a notification sound occasionally and by the time I would click on something like your extension, the tab is not longer emitting sound. Can your extension be used to figure out which tabs are making sounds even if the sound isn't happening at that moment?
- (2021-11-10, v:6.3) John Kennedy: Keyboard shortcut
- (2021-11-10, v:6.3) John Kennedy: Music Playing extension
You should add the keyboard shortcut so others will be able to find it. Thanks for this extension. It's very helpful. Shift + Alt + S
- (2021-09-22, v:6.3) Harmon Visuals: GO TO Playing Tab : Love the Extension BUT can't find the settings?
Hello, I am very grateful for your extension (Go To Playing Tab). I use it a lot but right now only have the funcionality of being able to actually click the extension button in the upper right of chrome (which works well). I realized how useful it would be to have a keyboard shortcut to jump to the active tab so I looked it up & sure enough you have it listed right in the description for having a "settings" section where you can assign a keyboard shortcut. The problem is, I am not able to access any type of settings window for this extension. I can right click the extension's button & it gives me a couple options but the "options" . Please advise & let me know if I'm missing something or its not working for whatever reason. Thank you very much. [email protected]
- (2021-09-17, v:6.3) Hotkeys?
I don't see any way to bind a keyboard shortcut. Did I miss something?
- (2021-08-10, v:6.3) Dominique Richardson: better touch tool intergration
would love to see this as an option in the better touch tool program for my mac
- (2021-07-30, v:6.3) Anthony Pascual: Privacy & Permissions Question
What permissions does the application require? What data can it access, if any? Thanks!
- (2021-07-19, v:6.3) Mike Palmer: I installed it, but I don't see the green button ...
I installed it, but I don't see the green button ...
- (2020-11-09, v:6.3) Laudari baja onkeli: Suggest
If plays in two tabs music (music from radio and stream from twitch). Then every time i klik on the extension, that switch between the 2 or more sound sources
- (2017-08-16, v:6.2) restcure: Automatic shortcut
You might want to consider making your extension more friendly by NOT taking over shortcut keys upon installation: you don't know how you might be interrupting someone's workflow.