Instant spell-check on any web page
Are you a web developer, and have ever sent a page to client with spelling error or typo? If yes, or you are just a cautious one who is afraid to let this happen one day, then this small extension is just for you. It lets you check the spelling directly on the web-page in Chrome. This way you can easily identify and fix the errors which gets missed in your favourite HTML editor even when it has also spell-check support. As this uses the Google Chrome spell checker, so it also shows the you corrections for the typo and spelling mistakes and let you edit the typos directly in the web-page. To makes this easy to use, it lets you remember the settings for the site so that you can always keep this enabled for the sites you develop or maintain. You can also toggle this on the page to review your fixes quickly. Try this, and if have any suggestions, please feel free to share.
- (2021-03-25) Sarah Carling: Doesn't work at all - and before the dev asks, yes I activated it for the page, then the site, then everything, then I browsed to a dozen different sites and the only thing I ever get is a message saying results will be available in a few seconds. My patience ran out at three minutes.
- (2021-03-11) Semih uğur: Works as expected. Tanks!
- (2020-11-09) Jon H: Great for spell checking your own website on the go and making sure you don't make any typos.
- (2020-11-02) إسراء محمود: super super super good
- (2020-09-02) Steven Jones: Doesn't work. I have it added to Chrome but nothing happens when I hover or click on the tool.
- (2020-08-24) Heather Burdsal: Works well. I work in higher ed with some complex vocabulary, and this tool didn't overcorrect and mark difficult words as misspelled, as some other extensions did. I like the toggle feature, too--makes this very user-friendly.
- (2020-03-16) Rob Nancarrow: Perfect tool for checking content before it's published. Works great.
- (2019-11-20) Jakub Raška: Works perfectly. Would appreciate more languages.
- (2019-10-09) Vicky Gotham-Dales: Just doesn't work - waste of time even when fully turned on
- (2019-07-23) Mr. TOUHA HOSSAIN: www.shoppingpara.com
- (2019-07-15) ProDIGIQ Inc: It is almost exactly what I am looking for. The only flaw is that it sometimes underlines words that are correctly spelled.
- (2019-05-06) Wang Nelson: This extension works for me, I just want to find an extension to check the webpage of my dev group's product, I found many extensions to check spelling, but all of them only check when you are tying in a input area. Finally I found this one, it can check all contents in a webpage, that's perfect, that I can see the spelling issues when I'm do the testing! Thanks, the author~
- (2019-04-26) knuckles uganda: no work
- (2019-04-26) Mentik Yusmantara: Amazing, it help save my time for updating my content as web publisher :)
- (2018-10-14) Guillermo Freire: noo wht i expectedd
- (2018-08-02) MGC IT SOLUTIONS: Does not work. Plz Dont Download and waste time
- (2018-06-20) Leo Perry: nice.
- (2018-03-13) Hafsa Mudassar: It's really awesome ... It's exactly what I needed for my websites... I recommend it for sure
- (2018-01-20) Josh Gilson: Did not work for me on multiple sites.
- (2017-10-05) DJ Krys Randle: Unfortunately it did not work for me at all.
- (2017-10-02) Isaac Rabin: Averagely great.
- (2017-09-26) David Koes: Doesn't appear to work, at least with my websites.
- (2017-07-21) Olivier Riche: super handy tool!
- (2017-07-03) victoria swann: Not working
- (2017-04-12) Fowana Terry: This is exactly what I needed. It works perfectly. If you're experiencing issues, I highly recommend reloading the page you want checked, select "Auto Spell Check on all websites" and make sure Spell-check status is set to "On". Wait for at least 20 seconds and you're good!
- (2016-11-13) Andrew Stergiou: not working right now.
- (2016-10-24) Lincoln Auster: This extension is great! I use it for developing websites. The last thing I want is a misspelled word! :) . It works perfectly! I have some hard words in there, and it even recognises Vanir as a word.
- (2016-05-23) melvin carl bandojo: not working...
- (2016-05-17) Mo B: Doesn't work. I installed it, reloaded the page (local HTML file). When I click the “Spell check” button, nothing happens.
- (2016-04-16) Karji Store: This extension won't function.
- (2016-03-30) gqq nbig: 这个扩展其实是把页面加上contenteditable，于是页面所有文字都处于可编辑状态，于是Chrome就会自动进行拼写检查。可是contenteditable会使超链接无法点击，而且拼写检查是在你点击一块文字区域后才进行。不是说加载页面后鼠标不动，就会自动检查。
- (2016-03-21) Pritesh Patel: Simple yet powerful. I love it. Thanks.
- (2016-03-16) Manuel Corona: What about Spanish and other languages? I would like to select from many languages!
- (2020-11-26, v:0.2.1) Daniel Franke: Spell checker gets confused by soft hyphens
I have a website which uses Hyphenopoly to automatically insert soft hyphens (U+00AD) into text at every syllable boundary. Soft hyphens are normally-invisible characters that inform the rendering engine of good places to break a line in the middle of a word and hyphenate the word at the break point. These characters confuse Webpage Spell-Check and cause every multisyllable word to be marked as misspelled. Would you mind patching it to ignore soft hyphens and spell-check the word as though they were not there?
- (2020-05-12, v:0.2.1) Cliff Paulick: Extension's popup should show how many errors are detected
I aim to have zero typos. I'd like the extension to tell me how many are detected (I'd expect zero). Find one? I fix it, refresh, and now the count goes from 1 to 0. Also, it'd be helpful to have a button to click to go to first/next typo. For example, there are 3 typos? Click to be taken 3 page scrolls worth down the page, then click next/prev to bring the others into view. Thanks!
- (2020-04-21, v:0.2.1) Nagesh H G: Not working on simple text html
I have a simple text html file, executed from my desktop, spell check is status is off & is in RED colour. Is it possible to run spell check on text html file which is offline? Is there any other offline html page spell checker, extension for Chrome? If possible please replay to my email: [email protected] - Thanks
- (2017-11-22, v:0.2.0) Alexander Dietz: Almost unusable
This add-on is almost unusable, as you have to 'activate' it for a page, the click BY HAND on each paragraph to check them. And when you go to another tab and come back, all the checks are gone. Then you click on the paragraphs again, only to realise the checker is not working and you have to 'activate' it again. I suggest to make this add on useable to check the whole page ALWAYS when the option is set...
- (2017-10-30, v:0.2.0) Abel Braaksma: Works only if you click each paragraph
Getting better at this, but it seems it only works if you click each title, line, block, paragraph, table cell individually, then the curlies appear. Would be nice if it is possible to spellcheck a whole webpage (like in the title of this plugin). Other than that, much better than no spellcheck at all!
- (2017-10-30, v:0.2.0) Abel Braaksma: Your example page doesn't work either
As previous report, but nothing is shown (after clicking Spellcheck) on your example page http://www.syedgakbar.com/.
- (2017-10-30, v:0.2.0) Abel Braaksma: Finds one error on one page, nothing more on that and other pages
How is this tool supposed to work (apart from clicking button Spellcheck)? It sounds great, but if I take, say, https://www.w3.org/TR/xslt-30/, there are many non-english technical terms. It highlights one word, but nothing more. Or https://nu.nl, a Dutch site. Many errors (in Dutch, or if seen as English, even more). But none are highlighted (after I click button Spellcheck). Refresh doesn't help. I'm not sure if this is the reason you received so many one-star reviews, but perhaps you can help people with instructions how to use it? Or add a screenshot with example page?
- (2017-05-24, v:0.2.0) Sergio Gomez: Won't work with React's Storybook
Hi, this is a great tool. Unfurtunatly I notice that it won't work on React's Storybook. It seems that they use a special syntax that is being skipped by the spell check. In case you are interested: <p><!-- react-text: 20 -->"Stateless component guar"<!-- /react-text --><i>without styles</i><!-- react-text: 22 --> or behavior.<!-- /react-text --></p>
- (2017-05-22, v:0.2.0) Problem with soft hyphens
Thank you for this very useful tool. However, I found a small problem. Words that contain unicode soft-hyphen character (or "­" always show as wrong. This character should be ignored when checking as it's only there to tell the browser how to break the word if necessary.
- (2016-10-20, v:0.2.0) Florian Münkel: Notification
Hi, there should be an option to get a small notification tooltip in the upper right corner like "3 mistakes found on this site". Kind regards Florian
- (2016-10-20, v:0.2.0) Florian Münkel: Cursor set into website - cannot click links
Hi, when activating your tool I can no more click links. instead the cursor is set into the position where I click. Kind regards Florian
- (2016-09-09, v:0.2.0) Phill Booth: Wordpress Admin area
Hi, your app seems to kill href/A links in the admin area of the WP. The scenario is that I have tried to use your app to check the "front side" normal webpage view of a website, this works fine but when switching to the admin area your APP still checks the admin side and kills the hyper links
- (2016-03-11, v:0.2.0) brittany flanagan: Doesn't Function
Tell me what i'm doing wrong - i installed the extension, go to the page i want to spell check, click the extension and select web page spell check and it brings me to the app store where it gives me information about the app - what steps do i follow to actually make the extension function as it should?