Launch bookmarks based on rules.
mCoffee ======= This is my take on the extension Morning Coffee from Firefox, which allows you to launch bookmarks based on the day of the week. I wrote this extension for my own use, and am sharing it in case anyone finds it useful. Instructions ========== Please refer to https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/home for instructions and examples on how to configure and use this extension. A brief summary below. 1) create a folder named "mCoffee". If you have multiple folders with the same name, It will only process the first one found. If the bookmark folder "mCoffee" is not found, the icon will turn red. Clicking on the extension will then open a new tab to https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/home. 2) Under the "mCoffee" folder, you can create the following subfolders (create only folders that you use, i.e. you don't need to create "Tue" if you don't have Tuesday specific items to launch) i) Daily ii) Mon / Tue / Wed / Thu / Fri / Sat / Sun iii) 1 - 31 - place items for a specific day of the month here. For example, items in the folder "1" will be launched on the first day of the month (e.g. you want to check your bank statement every 1st day of the month). iv) Weekday - items that you want to launch from Mon - Fri v) Weekend - items that you want to launch on Sat, Sun vi) Autostart - items here will be launched when the extension is loaded vii) Rules - set conditions for launching items - add the conditions as a comma separated list inside square brackets in the item's title, e.g. "Testing [2,Mon,Wed]" to launch the item "Testing" on the 2nd of the month, Mondays and Wednesdays Notes ===== This is a very basic extension, everything is managed using the bookmark manager. The extension checks if the URL is already opened in an existing tab, if so it won't launch a duplicate tab. Note that some sites automatically expands / redirect the base url. For example, if you launched https://mail.google.com the opened url will be https://mail.google.com/mail/. If you click on the extension icon again, it will open another tab for Gmail because "https://mail.google.com"; doesn't match "https://mail.google.com/mail/";. Items are opened in the following folder order; Daily, day of week and day of month. Standalone folders are processed first, followed by the Rules folder. For example, if your "Daily" folder has the items "B1, B5" and your Rules folder has a Daily item "B3", they are launched in the order B1, B5, B3. Items within each folder are opened in the order they are found so you can sort them if you want them opened in a particular order. Disclaimer ========== THIS EXTENSION IS PROVIDED IN GOOD FAITH, HOWEVER I MAKE NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY, VALIDITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY OR COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION ON THE EXTENSION. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHALL I HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THIS EXTENSION. YOUR USE OF THE EXTENSION IS SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. Privacy notice ============== This extension does not collect any data. History ======= 2018-11-21: v1.1.0 1) New subfolder, "Rules" 2018-11-26: v1.2.0 1) Rules - parse time range in 24h format, for example 19-21 to launch items between 7PM and 9PM inclusive. 2) Support for "Weekday", "Weekend" 2018-12-05: v1.2.5 1) code clean up 2021-05-25: v1.3.3 1) new tag "Autostart" 2) tweaked badge background colours, badge icon shows the time of when the extension was last clicked. 2021-06-11: v1.4.0 1) rules support month condition 2) if the folder "mCoffee" isn't found, launch the website https://sites.google.com/view/extension-mcoffee/ 2021-08-06: version 1.4.1 - changed icon - not setting badges anymore, status reflected in icon colour - open release history page when extension is updated 2022-04-16: version 1.5.0 - manifest v3 - restrict to 3 concurrent running tabs 2022-04-23: version 1.5.1 - remove limit of 3 concurrent tabs, counter isn't right in some situations 2022-04-27: version 22.214.171.124 - code changes to adapt to service worker behaviour in manifest 3 - removed 1 second delay in opening tabs Permissions =========== bookmarks - needed to search for the mCoffee and associated folders tabs - needed to check that the url is not already opened, and to launch a new tab Credits ======= Icon for versions < 1.4.1 is from http://icongal.com/gallery/icon/34007/128/coffee_cup_breakfast_mocca. Icons from version 1.4.1 onwards is my own. Legal Disclaimer adapted from https://termly.io/resources/templates/sample-disclaimer-template-guide/
- (2022-04-30) Chris Kaye: Outstanding, useful extension that works! Thank you, Thaddaeus, for your diligence in pursuit of a resolution of the glitch that beset a recent update: v 126.96.36.199 has your fine extension flowing seamlessly again. Cheers!
- (2021-09-21) Zachary Thacher: Nice replacement for Morning Coffee! Thank you! It's not as simple as Morning Coffee but it's close enough.
- (2021-07-21) Armin Mueller: This extension still works perfectly despite being updated over 2 years ago (as of this review). The dev also responds to reviews and has disclosed that no data is collected. I highly recommend this extension. It's fantastic! Thank you Thaddaeus!
- (2021-05-07) Mahy K: This makes life easier and you won't miss once you set up. If this ever gets enhanced I would like to see Bi-weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, Semiannual, Yearly options
- (2021-02-03) Matt Drake: Extension simply works. I only use the Daily folder, but having a single-click command to open the five or ten tabs I need to look at every day makes life easier. By opening a bookmark list without it's own UI, it sidesteps some problems from other extensions. Thank you very much Thaddaeus. Your extension is my first click when I open Chrome in the morning.
- (2019-11-20) Gérald LONLAS: Great extension for recurring daily task. Since I discovered this plugin my daily workflow because much more easier, and I do not have to remember what is important to look at the next day. Thank you for this smart extension which deserve more visibility.
- (2022-04-22, v:1.5.0) Curt Steindler: Latest Update 1.5.0
Love the extension. Thank you so much for it. Unfortunately, update 1.5.0 no longer opens all of my daily bookmarks and none of my bookmarks for individual days. It used to have no problems before this update. I may have too many daily bookmarks -- I have 18 and it only opens 7 of them. I hope you get this fixed.
- (2021-09-21, v:1.4.0) Zachary Thacher: Remove time stamp
Thanks for the great extension. I found it after Morning Coffee for Chrome was deslisted for some reason. I use this very simply: I press the extension icon when I want to open the 7 website I check each morning for work stuff. Is there a way to remove the time stamp? It's not as neat as I'd like. Otherwise, many thanks!
- (2021-02-03, v:1.2.5) Matt Drake: Date badge
I like your extension. It is straight-forward and works well. Is it possible, through a rule, to turn off the Day-of-Week badge on the icon? I like your coffee cup icon but it gets covered by the date badge. Either way, I'm happy to use your extension.