For websites that continuously load, clicking the extension button will stop. Click again to allow.
Some websites are abusively heavy in both the amount of download requests they generate and the content they continually force on to the page (ad cyclers, overlays, video autoplay, etc). This chrome extension provides a very lightweight and simple way to shut that pipe. It essentially works similar to if you had the speed to click the "X" by the address bar every time the page started to load another request. The button is a simple click to toggle on and click once more to toggle off. This current version (1.1) stops all requests for Chrome in all tabs. *Version 1.1* Update 2019-01-28. This extension does use the "WebRequest" interface that Google is reportedly planning to nuke. (To investigate for yourself, search: google ad blockers webrequest). The end result of such a change means this extension would be nuked unless an alternative interface is provided. I'll do my best to update it if allowed. The new version provides a little better wording to help people realize the button is a toggle on/off. Feedback indicated some people didn't realize this. I did look at making it tab specific but it would have introduced the problem of the worst kind of pop-ups being allowed internet access. Also, it would have added a bit to the code to keep track of everything and would require additional permissions to access the tabs. I generally want to keep this extension down to the bare minimum of permissions required and extremely low performance impact so I will not be taking it in that direction. *Version 1.0* Update 2018-8-13. Google REQUIRES a screenshot. So, added the screenshot, 640x400, of a button... Yes, a button.
- (2020-06-25) ahmad alwosabi: good
- (2019-12-20) Mark Edwards: piece of junk ifit does NOT aapear on the extension bar. stoopid!
- (2019-10-15) Max Meier: Please go ahead solving this long lasting problem: Sites refreshing their content randomly. Now let us choose which site we want to stop loading ;-) Edit: the extension icon should really indicate the state it is in. Example: block state: red unblock state: green
- (2019-10-01) Alkaris: Completely broken extension that doesn't work.
- (2019-05-11) Fulvio Di Stefano: Very practical! I click on the icon on some websites who are loading(after the content load) advertising or content blocking systems because they offer paid content....and your content become visble! Only negative point...it blocks internet on all the other tabs, so as soon i bloc and can see my content, i unblock it. Would be nice if it could block only the current tab. Thanks a lot
- (2019-02-13) Xanderj89: The author's idiotic responses to people asking for a tab by tab needs to stop. For some reason, his thick skull hears "I want one tab working, and one paused" and he continually replies "just disable it for all tabs!" as if he thinks that's really an answer...Can't tell if he just doesn't speak English well, or if he's a moron. Either way, do not use this unless you want to pause literally everything, and unpause everything at the same time, so practically useless.
- (2019-02-13) Damian Parsons: Worked great. PopSci was telling me I had an AdBlocker active (I have none installed) and wouldn't let me view the page and I couldn't stop the popup loading. This extension fixed it easy. As others said, would be great if there was an option for tab by tab basis, but not a big problem for me.
- (2018-12-31) Cat Robson: If I use it for one site on one Chrome tab, it thereafter blocks any site from loading. Useless.
- (2018-09-23) Steve Langford: Works TOO good - - it prevents any other page from the domain you stopped from ever loading again. It should be called "Block this domain". Had to delete it.
- (2018-09-11) nicholas flann: Just tried it and it does not work for me
- (2018-04-13) M&J S: A one click "ban hammer" for ceasing all data from being sent & received in Chrome all at once. It does exactly what it's designed to do in a simple & lightweight package which doesn't include bloated features. I appreciate this one.
- (2018-01-14) Liggliluff: Doesn't work. It should preferably be restricted to YouTube.com (unless it does more?)
- (2017-10-17) Thelonious Hurley: wonderful, although it would be great if it could activate with a hotkey
- (2017-08-14) 2Yellow Diamonds: It... It's..... IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!
- (2017-04-24) darkalter2000: This needs to work on individual tabs.
- (2017-01-25) This needs to work on a tab-by-tab or site-by-site basis. It blocks all auto-reloading across all of chrome. I was trying to stop http://www.f150ecoboost.net/ from auto-reloading, but it also blocked Google Inbox from checking my email. Great idea, but it needs work to make it truly useful.
- (2016-11-20) Lonnie Holland: Thank you! I'm on metered internet and this works great!
- (2018-04-21, v:1.0) George Maxxis: This is what we all need!
This is what this extensioin needs: Example: www.example.com/one <- I want to stop this page loading because, say it's too large and slow to load. www.example.com/two <- But I DON'T want this page to stop loading. But when I click on the hand in the tab where www.example.com/one is the loading also STOPS in the other tab where www.example.com/two is. It must not be this way, much obliged if you fix it!