Loading a web page for text first, then, if possible, click to load an image
This is a Chrome extension for people who have slow network connection and/or limited network data usage and want to surf the web as fast and less data usage as possible. The way to achieve this is to let the browser loads only necessary stuffs first and explicitly loads some heavy stuffs on demand later. This extension is intended to do that by trying to block image/video loading and let users click on a placeholder (a square placed instead of an image) to load the image and replace that placeholder. Caveats * Not every image can be clicked to load on demand because some images are links. When you click it, it navigates to wherever the link points to. And some images are background images. It's quite hard to interact with those. * Videos are blocked but could not be clicked to load. This extension is free and open sourced. For more information, please visit https://github.com/witterk/textfirst
- (2020-09-30) bob paul: There should be a key combo to load all images. There should also be a blacklist/whitelist to disable the plugin from running on specific sites.
- (2020-01-12) Yushin Washio: Still works great 2020! Those who say it doesn’t might have forgotten to actually click on the “Tf” button so that the button changes to a gray square and the next time you load a page its images are grayed out!
- (2018-12-04) Shah Muhammad Taki: Really useful. Thank you.
- (2016-02-06) Jon: Excellent! Best image blocking app. I tried five of them before this one and none of them cut it so this one is probably the best. Also you can get around the "can't load images that are links without following said links" problem by right clicking them and selecting "open image in new tab" so it's not a issue for me. It would be even better if it was smart enough to check if an image is already cached from a previous visit and gave the option to display those.(but only those) *hint* *hint*
- (2015-07-19) Bryan Stark: This was a great idea, but I think the script used is defunct now. It doesn't seem to work on any sites. I tried google as the photo in the description indicates it works in google, but not difference. Same with many wordpress sites that take forever to load, I would like those sites to load only the text.
- (2015-06-29) Dylan Ross: This extension works. It does on some websites more than others, and sometimes I still have trouble, but it will help you out if you're looking to decrease your datum usage.
- (2015-01-12) Ne Jaz: God bless you!!
- (2013-10-17) Absolutely Useless. doesn't work.
- (2013-09-12) Amit A: Among the better image block extensions available on chrome, but nothing like imgLikeOpera available on Firefox!
- (2013-09-05) Naam Na: This is the one of its kind app which is quite helpful to the people with limited bandwidth..just love the app...couldn't stop myself to break my rule and review this app....just excellent...keep it up and thanks...:)
- (2013-08-11) Junaid A.: Works fine. A good replacement for image blocker. Also loads the website pretty fast.
- (2016-12-18, v:0.1) Will L.: Context menu item
This extension could benefit from 2 context menu items: 1. when right clicking on an image placeholder, have an option to load the image. This would allow you to load images that are also links. 2. when right clicking on a link, an option to load the linked page in text mode. Even better, have the context menu change based on the overall mode, so it allows you to load text mode pages when text mode is off or non-text mode pages when text mode is on.
- (2016-05-17, v:0.1) No whitelist
This extension really needs a whitelist for certain sites such as many Google sites, Facebook, and whatnot, whose whole interface is based on heavy use of place holder images and icons.
- (2015-06-02, v:0.1) Johny Why: On-Demand?
Hi, thx for great extension! TextFirst says images can be loaded "on-demand later". How to load an image 'on-demand'? thx!