Cantonese-English pop-up dictionary for Chrome
Cantonese-English pop-up dictionary for Chrome. Simply hover the mouse pointer over Chinese words to have both the definition and pronunciation displayed via a pop-up window in real-time. Pronunciation is displayed as Yale romanisation with tone numbers (other configurations are not supported at this time). This plugin is based on the "Perapera Chinese Popup Dictionary" plugin for Chrome (which is in turn based on several other projects including Rikaikun, Rikaichan and RikaiXUL), with the dictionary replaced with data from Cantonese CEDICT project. The original copyright notices remain intact within the package source files. I take no credit for this; it was a quick and easy hack using existing resources. Credits: Perapera Chinese Popup Dictionary - https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/hlcddplhfenagbaipfjhhcjmebhkkaif Cantonese CEDICT project - https://writecantonese8.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/cantonese-cedict-project
- (2020-04-14) Andrey Orochi Narrates: Fantastic app!
- (2019-12-12) Benjamin Dowson: Excellent extension! Wish it had TTS.
- (2019-11-04) Justin Dimla: Very useful!
- (2019-09-10) Lia Cha: The Yale romanisation is fine, but the definitions are incorrect. Seems like it's pulling from a Mandarin dictionary instead of a Canto one.
- (2019-08-06) Matt Kramer: Very useful
- (2017-12-11) Otto J.S. Laari: These kinds of apps are a lifesaver for learners of hanzi based languages. Thank you so much! I hope in the future there would be one for Min Nan too
- (2017-11-18) anthony lister: Excellent and outstanding. I mostly used Cantofish until now on Firefox, but with the latest version of Firefox it doesn't work any more. This pop up dictionary is the only other one I have found,apart from Android apps, and I sure hope that it will remain available. There's no alternative.
- (2017-11-12) Corinne Yee: Very handy!
- (2017-09-11) Pepper Huynh: This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
- (2017-06-29) Romain BARRAUD: Great and with no equivalent. I would even put 6 stars once the same options available for the Mandarin add-on will be added.
- (2017-05-03) Alisha Hwee: Please give us the option to use jyutping.
- (2017-04-06) Ryan Kim: very nice : ) I wish I could copy the popup so that I can paste on other memo programs and make words list to study. but still so good. cheers!
- (2017-03-12) EK Mai: Fantastic app. Like other reviewers, wish it could also have TTS
- (2016-12-24) Benjamin W: Please include Cantonese Text to Speech like android to make it even more fabulous! Great work. Thanks
- (2016-12-07) Andrey Orochi: Absolutely bloody fantastic!
- (2016-12-02) JY Y: I never rate any apps online. This is by far one of the most useful add-ons I have ever come across (other than uBlock/Adblock).
- (2016-11-26) Aaron Mitra: Like others have said, the lack of jyutping is unfortunate.
- (2016-09-16) Joey Belk: Really enjoy using "N" or "M" progress the next character/word.
- (2016-02-17) Jamie Winters: I would love to see an option for Jyutping, but other than that it's really good.
- (2016-01-08) Kamui Hart: Works just like any other similar dictionary plugins!
- (2020-03-30, v:0.0.3) Supattra Radsiri: no pop-up
I use this on windows8 on google chrome and there's no pop-up.
- (2018-11-23, v:0.0.3) morgan jenkins: No highlights, no popups
Using Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) on mac- installed and restarted- no popups on any canto page. any idea whats wrong?
- (2018-06-02, v:0.0.3) Tinsai Chan: Also want Jyutping
Since I learn Cantonese from Cantodict and always use Jyutping. I would also like to use this romanisation system for my further studies. And of course add Mandarin Pinyin to it. Just like the former Cantofish addon for Firefox.
- (2018-02-20, v:0.0.3) Ivor Houlker: Jyutping
Would be great if you can add an option for different romanisation systems - e.g jyutping/yale switch
- (2018-02-19, v:0.0.3) Frédéric Germain: Extention verbose in console
I love this extention, thanks ! But it seems to display a lot of unwanted information in the browser console, like : enable cperacontent.js:775 enable cperacontent.js:775 enable cperacontent.js:775 enable cperacontent.js:782 showPopup cperacontent.js:782 showPopup cperacontent.js:782 showPopup cperacontent.js:782 showPopup I'm a developper, so I often have the developper tools opened. Could you remove your console.log's in next version ? ~ Thanks
- (2018-01-27, v:0.0.3) Peter Bradshaw: No popups
This extension does not highlight characters, and it does not show readings and definitions. It essentially does nothing. What could be a potential cause of this problem?
- (2017-07-07, v:0.0.3) Danielle Fung: Can you make it work on multilingual forum/page?
It works on a Cantonese page but when I have a page, say a forum, that's multilingual, it doesn't translate. Can something be done to this? Overall an awesome extension.
- (2017-05-19, v:0.0.3) TTS needed for learner.
For a Cantonese learner, pronunciation is important. Without pronunciation, it is meaningless if it is not used in right way.
- (2017-05-19, v:0.0.3) Suggestion
It is better to display Mandarin together right next to Cantonese. As non-Chinese, it is very difficult which one is Mandarine or not.
- (2016-09-08, v:0.0.3) Sarefo: Canto + Mandarin
Hi, nice extension, thanks :) Would it be possible to have the same extension display Cantonese AND Mandarin?
- (2015-10-11, v:0.0.3) Elice Leung: Broken
Hi! This extension doesn't seem to be working at all- no highlighting of characters and no popup. I have the Perapera extension which works, could it be the two interfere with each other? I come from a Cantonese-speaking family so this version would be much more helpful to me.