This extension allows you to stop annoying gifs in the current page
Chrome extension which tries to pause the gifs that nag you. I found it useful when I am reading a document which contains some funny GIFs. By the way, authors: what about not using gifs inside a documents which is supposed to be read? To pause the GIF(s) you can use one of these options: - Use the contextual menu on a gif and select "Pause animation" - Use the contextual menu anywhere in the page except on a gif a select "Pause all animations" - Press the esc key and then click on the target GIF - Press the esc key _twice_ to pause all GIFs in the document Click on a paused gif to un-pause the animation. The extension is open source and you can get it on Github (star it, if you like it!) https://github.com/claudioc/gifnope
- (2019-09-28) J J: DOES NOTHING!! COMPLETELY USELESS!!!!
- (2019-04-02) haploide allel: Doesn't work at all in Chrome 72.0.3626.121 (64bit)
- (2018-12-14) Holly Johnson: lies & b.s, does not stop gifs from autoplaying
- (2018-10-26) Jonathan Morley: Exactly what I was looking for, thanks! One recommendation would be to allow the option for the user to change the "GIF Paused" notification that displays over the image. Maybe like a circle with a line through it like those no smoking signs could be an alternative. Or on the Gif Paused overlay, maybe the opacity could be reduced.
- (2018-05-03) Андрей. И: Порнуха ! ни чего не останавливает !
- (2018-04-08) Дмитрий Голик: не работает
- (2018-03-04) Michael Billips: Doesn't work
- (2018-01-02) Gareth Blain: While I wasn't able to get the content menu to work on the gif's I wanted to stop (FB Messenger) by right clicking on the gif. I WAS able to right click somewhere else on the page and stop all gifs! AND it doesn't stop new gifs so you can just stop the annoying gif but see new ones (and then stop them later!)! Ability to unpause all would be nice although a page reload works. :)
- (2017-10-20) Christy Lynn Mathis: VERY helpful, although the "unpause" option does not seem to work if the gif is also a link (just opens the hyperlink). Much better than other extensions that just block all gifs altogether.
- (2017-05-14) Kind of works, but not ideal: It "stops" also non-animated gifs, and clicking an ad to pause it does not intercept the click and you end up following the link.
- (2017-04-21) Matt Trombley: Stops the gif, but not on the frame it was at. It always jumps back to the first frame. Unhelpful.
- (2017-02-20) Anders Brandén: Can't believe only 111 users found this(now 112). It's the best simply because it's optional per gif and site. All others I've found are on or off only.
- (2016-12-16) Doesn't do anything!
- (2016-12-07) Hans van de Bruggen: This extension saved the internet.
- (2016-04-10) Lee Yates: This add-on works as intended. Press "esc" key twice and it pauses every gif on the page. Personally I would prefer that gifs be paused automatically which would improve page load times. I would suggest that functionality be added as an option. I found this addon to be a little sluggish when I activated it. But, that may be because I use it on a forum that has tons of gifs that need to be paused. So, I think it's safe to recommend.