Securely generate website-specific passwords from a single master password. Compatible with Password Hasher for Firefox.
PawHash is a Chrome/Chromium extension which securely generates website-specific passwords from a single master password. It's based on the excellent Password Hasher extension for Firefox by Steve Cooper (http://wijjo.com/passhash) and generates the same passwords given the same inputs. Using the same password on many websites is a security risk, because many sites do not store the password securely or are vulnerable to exploits allowing the passwords to be intercepted. When one site is compromised and the passwords stolen and cracked, this often allows the attacker to use the same username/email and password to log in as those users on many different sites. However, remembering a unique password for every website is impractical. This extension solves the problem by allowing you to remember just one master password, which is used to calculate a unique and secure password for a given site. This works by using a "hash algorithm" which, given the master password and the name of the website, combines them in a way which is impossible to reverse, but generates the same result every time. This avoids having to use a password manager which stores all your passwords, meaning there is nothing for an attacker to steal, and you can use any computer you trust without needing to have a copy of your password file. Thanks to Steve Cooper for the original Firefox Password Hasher extension (http://wijjo.com/passhash) and to Paul Johnston for the jshash library (http://pajhome.org.uk/crypt/md5).
- (2018-07-08) Stump Xu: 太棒了
- (2016-04-21) Charlotte: Yes.. thanks... was looking for this plugin forver and found it today
- (2015-03-06) Johan Ho: I used to use Password Hasher for Firefox, and using Pawhash on Google Chrome pretty much spared me for changing all my passwords when switching to Google Chrome.
- (2013-08-24) Tan-Vinh Nguyen: Fantastic! I want to write a port myself, but you did a great job.
- (2013-05-07) Jessica Shultz: I'm a big firefox password fan. Pawhash does the job too. Works great.
- (2013-02-20) Eddie Padilla: Great extension. It would be nice to have a simple and secured website where you can use the same functions without having to install the extension.
- (2012-08-28) A near perfect reimplementation of the original password hashing extension in Firefox. Waiting eagerly on the per-site settings feature which the author has promised, and then it'll be done!
- (2018-01-06, v:0.6) George Vriese: Custom seed
Can I specify my own seed to which my master password and site is hashed?
- (2016-01-31, v:0.6) Nicholas Kudriavtsev: Extension does not store site specific data
e.g. "Site Tag" and "Options" on Chrome 48 and 49
- (2014-11-27, v:0.6) Ralf Kretzschmar: Function key possible
Is there a way to enable a function key or keyboard shortcut to use PawHash?
- (2014-07-06, v:0.6) Maurice Childs: Specify type of first character
Is there any way to specify that a password must start with a letter - Virgin media has this ridiculous requrement
- (2013-08-27, v:0.6) Change UI to allow arbitrary hash sizes
I'd quite like to be able to change the hash size to arbitrary lengths. Could this be added to the UI please?