A web-powered screen reader
- (2022-12-01) Jacob Ceresia (Woven Planet): This extensions reads everything except what I wanted it to read. I just wanted the google document I wrote to be read to me but it can't seem to focus on that. Absolute garbage.
- (2022-11-28) Daniel Rogers: More trouble than its worth - faster and more accurate without
- (2022-11-20) Ivan Eltsov: If you want to setup custom shortcuts, it will most likely ignore a good part of them. Shortcut for disabling reader simply doesn't work - it says that extension is disabled but it still keeps working (and reading content). That makes using chromevox quite annoying - you can't simply turn it on and off, you have to disable extension in exstensions menu. If you select another language (not english) it will work for content only - it will still say "button" (instead of whatever "button" translates to in selected language) + its content. Overall pretty disappointing user experience
- (2022-11-18) rebel kline: Hard to use, even harder to navigate. This needs a way to toggle the reader on and off that isn't buried in the settings. Additionally, this extension has caused my chrome browser to crash constantly.
- (2022-11-15) Shobhana Menon: How do I turn it off or on? Everytime I have to uninstall it. I can't find the off button
- (2022-11-06) Сергей Жилинский: Working, but not able to turn it off so it gets annoying and not usable fast.. :(
- (2022-10-26) Ercan Sarıoğlu: it just needs to read the selected location. It's very annoying when you read everything.
- (2022-10-25) Zoltan Lengyel: Cannot toggle on/off. Super annoying.
- (2022-10-25) Alpaca: For some reason it's using my windows narrative to basically read everything i hover my mouse on, for some reason, even suddenly starts speaking without giving a order to touch on
- (2022-10-24) Maria Paz Arce: No tiene una opción para desactivarlo aunque en la configuración te aparezca la opción igual no lo hace, es muy molesto
- (2022-10-10) NPK Media: Glad I have full vision and only using this to test a website. If I could give 0 stars I would. This is an absolutely awful application that does not work. Doesn't read any text on the screen. Sound effects of focusing on sections lags/intermittently doesn't make any sound. No clue how someone with poor/no vision can use this to browse the web.
- (2022-09-18) Jaylan Weber: I think it's a great extension for when I don't want to read thousands of words on a screen while doing research for work. And can turn off and on by command whenever I feel like it. And if you click the webpage in certain areas it can also read the whole entire page without having to click on every paragraph for it to read.
- (2022-09-10) Justin ThorLPs: It's just reading random stuff without any real way to control what it's reading it would be nice if there was a read highlighted only option
- (2022-09-01) Tavares Rhodes (Kazuya Mishima): Its great
- (2022-08-27) Pratik B: I saw many bad reviews for this extension but It's working for me I don't know how but it's working hahaha :) :)
- (2022-08-20) Anna Lovatt: Well, call me an idiot but I literally don't understand how to get this thing to work? It won't read anything, there's no indication of how to ask it to.... Stick to Read Aloud if you need a screen reader in my opinion.
- (2022-08-18) Lizette Foster: This thing does not work!! Do not waste your time by adding it.
- (2022-08-14) symonsb: Very very annoying... control options are very limited and don't work as expected. Can't get it to read selected text... unless you point at a row or paragraph, it just starts reading at the top of the page and if interrupted it will restart at the top of the page, paragraph or row. It has a setting for a "ChromeVox" modifier key, but it's not set, so almost none of the shortcuts work out of the box.
- (2022-08-12) Jessica Morales: Don't get me wrong, I need this extension to function at work but there should be more options for accessibility within the extension itself. PDFs I can read with my computer text to speech function PERFECTLY, but if there is a document within Google I cannot easily read it. This extensions assumes that the only people who utilize the tool are blind folks who need "new line, switch tabs, chrome extensions" narrated. Some of us need spoken word to keep focused and the breaks to announce where and what column the text is defeats the purpose and are less than helpful, while I understand the priority for those who cannot see at all. I just want to highlight a page of text and select speak please, so I can follow along.
- (2022-07-27) Luca: Terrificante. In pratica legge TUTTO e non si riesce a disabilitare. Può andare bene per un non vedente o un ipovedente, ma se cercate un estensione da usare OGNITANTO, questa non fa per voi. Incredibile che Google abbia rilasciato una monnezza simile...
- (2022-07-22) Emily Turner: For those that want to toggle it on and off - see chrome://extensions/ and click the toggle on or off there.
- (2022-07-20) Elizabeth Needham: You can't even change the rate of speech on this thing!
- (2022-07-07) Cheulong Sear: I can't even turn it off.
- (2022-07-05) Cory Schulz: There should be a way to activate this only for certain pages and easily enable / disable it on the extensions menu. This plugin is an annoying mess and proof that people at Google don't care about UI / UX.
- (2022-06-22) Pascal Kuba: Für meine Verwendung komplett ausreichend. Aber was das für Tastenbelegungen sind keine Ahnung. Ausschalten nur über die Option "Erweiterung verwalten" und dort kann man ganz oben "An - Aus" machen.
- (2022-06-15) Антон Дымков: Нажимаю горячие клавиши, говорит, что расширение отключено, но оно все равно продолжает работать
- (2022-06-09) Habib GM writer: This tool is so annoying that you can't even keep it for a minute on your PC. You cannot stop it once installed from speaking up all over. You can't set it up for reading a specific page while working on other pages. Not productive at all !
- (2022-05-16) sai madhan: Chromevox could not be disabled. When using the shortcut 'Chromevox + A > A' Chrovox says it is inactive but keeps talking without disabling. This is tooo frustrating and annoying. I have reported the issue about more then 6 months ago and no action has been taken since Google community or the tech support does not offer any help for this most needed valuble feature for people with disabilities. I am a developer and i could clearly see this is just a small mishap on code it almost quite litterally takes google's developers to change one word and thats it but, Google wont even consider this a problem i dont really understand what the developers and QA are doin on this project this is an in your face issue The screen reader turns on but doesnt turn off. Really this is horrible user experience. And the wordst part is i rely on this tool almost everyday and when it doesnt stop when i want it to stop imagine how frustrating it is while joining a meeting on ur browser while having the screen reader scream at the background. Please please please fix this 2 minutes of any developer's time could help soo many people like me please fix this and please work on better testing and QA for this tool it is crucial
- (2022-05-11) Michael Wilday: This extension would be way more useful for persons without hearing disabilities if there was an option in the menu to disable and enable the extensipn. My hope was to use this extension to read articles and PDF"s on web sites for my Graduate Studies. I will try working with it but I I think having a quick option to disable and enable the app would make it more useful to individuals.
- (2022-05-07) Mountaha Boukallel: Hard to turn on and off, causes more trouble.
- (2022-04-26) KayNoel: It worked for what I needed it to. It's a free extension that reads to you which was nice since I needed to go over my study guides one more time before a test but I was exhausted from the day. It doesn't have an off function so when you're done you do have to uninstall it which is why I docked it one star. It was easy enough to use with google docs which was my intention for the app.
- (2022-04-21) Zelian Zhu: The interaction mode is bad and the speed of reading aloud is too fast. I have to uninstall it.
- (2022-03-28) Charity Jantzen: When I first downloaded this extension about 5 months ago it was helpful. It didn't read the entire page but it read about 70%. You have to click on everything that you want read, which for someone who is visually impaired or blind this extension would be useless for them. About 2 months ago the extension I guess had an update and NOW IT CRASHES CHROME EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TURN IT ON AND HAVE IT READ ONE WORD. IT'S GARBAGE! DON'T WASTE YOUR KB SPACE.
- (2022-03-23) Waiting For Wonderland: Please for the love of god have a stupid disable speech feature!
- (2022-03-21) Abigail Epplett: Really terrible extension. Annoying, no choices for voice type or speed. The built-in screen reader for Edge is far superior to this option. Once again, Google is inexcusably inaccessible to visually impaired users. I uninstalled immediately after installing once I figured out the convoluted method for uninstalling.
- (2022-03-19) Fernando Papaqui: Pinche porquería, no se puede desactivar.
- (2022-03-14) TJ: Thank goodness for this developer. You have no idea how good it feels to have whole web pages read aloud to me because I am visually challenged. My lenses have been removed and replaced with plastic lenses that have medical ID numbers. It is so difficult to read anything for a minute without irritability. I just felt despair. I focused instead on looking for Youtube videos of anything I wanted to learn and hear. Your screen reader allows me to go to the news like a normal person and other web pages, select the entire article content I want to learn about, and this extension reads it aloud to me. Thank you so much! This extension just read my review to me and I could hear what I mistyped. This is an unexpected added benefit that will help prevent so many of my Grammar errors. Thank you!
- (2022-02-27) st ilorim: gostei de poder trocar de língua pra testar a diferença de pronúncia em algumas misturebas que faço. único problema é que não consegui descobrir como fazer parar de ler a tela, então fico adicionando e removendo a extensão quando preciso...
- (2022-02-14) Sean Mooney: Incredibly annoying. You can't use it on command, it's either always on and narrating (poorly) what is happening, or off. Hotkeys seem to work intermittently.
- (2022-02-08) Roger Heathcote: Finally figure out the shortcut to toggle it on and off, with the help of Stack Overflow! Hit shortcut. "ChormeVox is now inactive" it tells me. It lies. People with low/no vision deserve better. Web developers trying to make websites accessible deserve better.
- (2022-02-01) Oracle Jetster: Impossible to control. Only way to turn off is uninstalling?
- (2022-01-27) Carlos Lantigua: I had some great features but there isn't an option to disable/enable it as needed. To make it more annoying, while typing it causes a big lag and randomly reads your key strokes. This would be useful if I were to want it but since there is no way of disabling it, it just got in the way. As I'm typing this review I'm actually getting annoyed because I need to have it installed in order to review. The Options menu is not very human readable and have I no clue what most of them are. The voices are hard to sift through as many of them are meant for other languages with strong accents but it does not distinguish which is for what locale. It has an accessibility bar that floats around the content it is focused on, but if you scroll the page it floats with you in a position absolute manner. The default "Alex" voice makes some weird sounds when individual letters are said like "I", "B", "d" are used. If you type "d" then delete it, it says it in a creepy voice.
- (2022-01-14) Inquiry Networks: Press Ctrl to stop reading
- (2022-01-07) Venelin Nikolov: Nightmare!!!! The Toggle active/inactive doesn't work on MAC. As a developer I'm wondering who on earth approved that kind of app to go live without simple basic fictionality ON/OFF?????
- (2021-12-17) Daniel Schöni: Wirklick nur eine Demo. Bricht nach 2 Zeilen einfach ab. Unbrauchbar.
- (2021-12-15) Valeria Gratt: Невозможно выделить текст, который нужно прочесть, по итогу программа вообще ничего не читает. Невозможно отключить функцию чтения всего, на что наведется курсор. Просто отвратительная программа
- (2021-12-08) Tilwin Joy: One of the most important features - turning it on and off doesn't work
- (2021-11-30) Carlan Wray: No matter what I did I could not use the keyboard shortcuts to turn off the screen reader. Shift+Alt+a+a would say that it was turning it off but it just keeps on reading. So frustrating.
- (2021-11-26) Nin Jo: Works. But cannot disable it or use any of the options when using a windows laptop. Help or controls page is not clear. Don't know what chromevox key is but even modifying it and setting active/inactive to keys I have. Does not enable/disable this app. It is always on. So for this reason its a one star and I am now uninstalling it
- (2021-11-26) Tim_Groen: very bad
2.6 (989 votes)
Last update / version
2021-07-27 / 53.0.2784.13