AverPoint chrome extension
AverPoint is the media literacy app. We help adults and students improve their cognitive media literacy, which means they have autonomy over two things: 1) The media they consume and 2) the meaning they make from media messages. In a free republic, it's crucial each person has the skills, knowledge, and personal drive to maintain this autonomy. How do we do this? We have 3 features, and the browser extension plays a role in all 3. First, our "Conscious Reading" feature helps you measure the news you consume. We analyze your news habits and send you a weekly summary of the sources, topics, and geographies you covered. You can set weekly goals and track your progress. Instead of getting lost in the daily controversy, we help you learn what really matters and support quality sources, including the shrinking local press. If you're an adult, we'll measure the reading on approved news sites. If you use our Classroom version, we'll measure your reading of class assignments and also your news reading "in the wild." Note that you can turn this on/off at any time. Second, our "Credibility Layer" lets you interact with the text you are reading. As you read news sites, you can actively question the author's claims, request expert reviews, and see the author's underlying evidence. Adults can use this to have a check over high-quality sources. It's good to read from sources that meet a high bar for quality, but 21st-century audiences have to actively work to check these sources and keep them honest. If you use our Classroom version, teachers can assign close reading goals on specific articles. Students use the credibility layer to practice their close reading and critical thinking skills. Third, the "AverPoint Writer" is a text editor that lets you practice forming your own evidence-backed ideas. It's currently available for the Classroom version only. After you save claims using the Credibility Layer, you can use AverPoint Writer to add these claims as supporting evidence. After you publish, you can again use the Credibility Layer to receive and respond to constructive feedback from your teacher and classmates. Disinformation only happens when we passively follow emotional triggers and fall into rabbit holes. The solution to disinformation is a community that proactively seeks better information. Together, we can make honest ideas win.
- (2021-03-12) Shouvik Banerjee: I'm the Founder of AverPoint - and we're building a "community credibility layer" for digital content. Today, good ideas don't stand out on the noisy internet, and usually get shouted down by bad ideas that aren't true - but strike a chord. We think the solution has to be a community that works to lift better ideas. Our Chrome extension lets our community question and review the ideas on the digital wild west. When you watch, read, or listen, you get a quick sense of the community review and if the content's trustworthy.
- (2020-08-31) Katie: AverPoint really helped me in organizing any information I needed from different websites online and storing it onto my profile for later usage. As a university student, I've always had difficulty managing all of the resources needed for my papers, but this extension really made the process a lot easier. I especially like how you can save quotes and images directly from the website which you can then later categorize and access the original source easily.
- (2020-08-10) Kimberly Apolonio: Really useful tool to collect information from different sites. I liked how you can just highlight some text and it will gather all the information (author/ article name/ site). You can also capture a screen as well for graphs or pictures. Really good for researching a topic and lessens my time for collecting data.
- (2020-04-07) Caroline Gray: Interesting and innovative tool for managing and organizing research and validating verifiable news sources. Important in an age of misinformation and disinformation. Check it out!
- (2020-03-31) dhavalcengg: Very useful for managing information from multiple sources and sharing with team
- (2020-03-30) Aron Legler: Amazing app! Helps me keep on top of trending topics and collaborate more freely with others who share similar research interests.
- (2020-02-18) Federico Baradello: Extremely useful (and well built and designed) tool for managing multiple sources of information and disseminating it with my team.
- (2019-09-18) Steve M: For some time, I've been looking for a way to seamlessly store, retrieve, publish information from content I come across online. AverPoint is the solution I've been looking for. Highly recommended.
- (2019-09-15) Garrett Larsson: I like how AverPoint makes it easy to find and share facts/figures across our team. Instead of clunky shared workspaces, it has a friendly Pinterest-like feel.
- (2019-09-12) Sirisha Rao: I am an physician practicing in an academic setting and I am frequently reading from a variety of sources to keep up to date with current clinical practice guidelines. Averpoint allows me to easily collect and organize this information in a way that's easy to share with colleagues and trainees. It also provides a platform to collaborate with others and critically evaluate the most recent literature in our field. This is an excellent tool for general research and curation. Additionally I have found it exceptionally useful for travel planning! I am able to create a collection for a destination, and as I research the history of a location, walking tours, restaurants and accommodations I can save them all in one place and share the collection with my travel companions !
- (2019-09-11) Dave Gustafson: As an entrepreneur in the security space, my team and I have to be on top of a rapidly changing field. AverPoint creates a convenient space to share and track that research. One click and the whole team gets it in an efficient, usable way. Everyone on the team can review each others' Points and even share them with clients. A great tool!
- (2019-09-10) Kevin C: Very useful tool for organizing the information I collect in the course of my reading and research. AverPoint allows me to collect and store quotes, ideas, and other data points I know I will need later on. Cool function for a world awash in data and so many sources. The extension connects seamlessly with the main AverPoint website, too.
- (2019-09-09) Eric Maltzer: I'm an impact investor and adjunct professor, and I publish articles about investing strategies that advance social and environmental goals. I read from a wide variety of sources to keep tabs on the news, the market, public policy, and academic literature. AverPoint helps me navigate this information, save and organize what matters, and also "curate" it for my readers. I love using AverPoint and have come to rely on it more than any other tool. Fantastic concept and extremely useful!