A Google Chrome Extension to always clear the downloads list of all completed downloads.
An updated version of the popular extension - now compatible with new Chrome versions! This Google Chrome extension makes up for the fact that Chrome does not have an option to keep its download list clear at all times. You can clear the downloads list yourself by hand, but Chrome currently doesn't have an option to automatically clear it for you. This extension does it for you automatically. This extension works in a very simple way: Every few seconds, the downloads list is cleared out for you. Don't worry, the files you downloaded are still there, and in-progress downloads are not harmed. Chrome's internal list simply gets cleaned up for you every five seconds. ==== Please note! ==== There is an unfixed bug in the Google Chrome API which causes this extension to always reset the downloads folder to the default folder. This is a bug in the Chrome API, not a bug in the "Always Clear Downloads in Chrome" extension. For instance, if you configure Chrome's default download folder to "c:\downloads" in Chrome's Advanced Settings, then this extension will keep resetting the folder to be that. If you download a file to a different target location using "Save link as...", and pick a different location such as "c:\other\folder" then instead of that new location being the new default, this extension will cause downloads to go back to "c:\downloads" on the next download. This might not be expected, but it's how the Chrome API works. You might get around this by simply disabling the download shelf instead - instead of clearing the downloads every few seconds. Or increase the clearing interval to an hour, in case you have to download a lot of files to a specific folder. Changes : Version 2.0 -- Support for big clear intervals, like hourly or higher Version 1.9 -- Fixes issue where the download shelf is not disabled after a Chrome restart, unless you re-checked the option manually Version 1.8 -- Fixes initial load with default settings Version 1.7 -- The shelf will clear after active downloads have finished Version 1.6 -- Switched to Chrome's own storage engine Version 1.5 -- Fixes for disabling the shelf Version 1.4 -- Switched to use newer Chrome APIs -- Small fixes Version 1.3 -- Added options page -- You can now set how often the downloads will be cleared -- You can enable/disable the extension in the options -- You can now disable the download shelf
- (2020-08-06) Moises Dias: The best. I love it
- (2020-07-29) The Patternator: Worked like a charm ! Thank you !
- (2020-07-19) SANDY GAMER: does what it should
- (2020-04-08) Steven Choi: It does what it says it does, but I'd prefer it if there was a timer for after the downloads begin or end.
- (2020-04-05) Jin tha: enfin cette barre de téléchargement ne s'affiche plus, fonctionne tres bien
- (2020-04-02) Sonhaji Pratito: Very good
- (2020-03-28) Matthias Börner: Works as intended, also in Edge. Nice.
- (2020-02-23) Dirección del Doctorado Arte y Humanidades: estupenda. no entiendo como chrome no la incorpora.
- (2020-02-20) 조한솔: goooood
- (2020-02-04) Mike Starr: Really needed an extension to clear the download shelf at the bottom of the screen in Chromium-based web browsers. It takes up valuable screen space and having to close it after every download is terribly annoying. This extension allows you to do that (and then some, from what I hear). A+
- (2020-01-22) Michaelj Evans: im glad your extension answered my question. :)
- (2019-12-20) Tim Mitchell: Works great!
- (2019-12-01) C McC: Works. Great extension. Thanks
- (2019-11-14) Julian Castro: works!
- (2019-11-05) Guillermo Tomás Ortiz Opazo: Una extensión que entrega la alternativa que Chrome debería traer por defecto: eliminar la barra de descargas.
- (2019-11-03) Adrian Paul: VG
- (2019-10-29) Gianni Sawyer: Exactly what I needed!
- (2019-10-07) Menchii: I wanted to get rid of the download bar. It is gone now. I haven't tried the auto clearing feature. I doubt I will use it.
- (2019-10-06) Thurrbz: It did it's job and it did it perfectly. Thank you for this extension. o/
- (2019-09-15) Pasat Ion: As I use KDE Browser integration extension, I have 2 download notifications. With this extension my problem was solved thank you very much.
- (2019-09-04) Mia Trip: Thanks!! The newest version is finally remembering it's settings!
- (2019-09-01) DIdn't work the purpose I installed it, to wit, never seeing the download bar again. Every time I save a web page, the download bar re-appears.
- (2019-08-25) G. Romero: Awesome to not have the download notification bar pop up at the bottom of the screen every time! Thanks!!
- (2019-08-21) Alexander: As of August 21th 2019, the "Remove download shelf" function is working.
- (2019-08-19) Nadine Richter: Funktioniert
- (2020-07-31, v:2.0) Виталий Привалов: Notification when download shelf is disabled.
Good day! Is it possible to add "Fade" or some sort of effect, in replace of disabled download shelf? I just need some kind of notification that the download has started actually (but I hate download shelf). Thank You!
- (2020-06-23, v:2.0) Sheldon Jay: Doesn't clear with new Microsoft Edge Chrome
BUT it clears on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. :)
- (2019-10-29, v:1.9) Alcnstr K: Keeping the download animation
Hello, Im not sure if it has ever been suggested or if its possible, but is there a way to keep the download animation (the arrow at the bottom left corner, when download shelf is active) so one can see a download has been initiated? I think it would be a great touch to the extension. I bet people might be downloading the same thing multiple times if they look away for a second to do something else, etc.
- (2019-09-16, v:1.9) David Junior: Versão Offline
Ola, boa tarde, gostaria de saber se não tem um instalador dessa extensão Offline, para que possa embutir em um aplicativo de parametrização de computadores, temos um aplicativo que parametriza as maquinas de nossos clientes, e gostamos de sua extensão, porem gostaria de embutir ja em nosso software pra sempre instalar sua extensão em nossos clientes. Tem um instalador ?
- (2019-08-27, v:1.8) JD Prouty: Download shelf re-appears after restarting Chrome.
The settings seem to have been saved but I have to open settings, uncheck "Disable download shelf" and re-check it after every Chrome reboot. "Clear downloads every few seconds" is unchecked. AMA...
- (2019-06-12, v:1.7) johann jensson: Disable Download Shelf doesn't work on current Chrome versions.
"Only disable download shelf" doesn't work anymore. It worked on my previous Win10 install, but i installed anew, and now the setting does nothing. The download bar appears all the time. Is it possible to fix this? All the other extensions for removing the download bar don't work neither any more, so this one is my last hope. :)
- (2019-05-21, v:1.3) Vote Cthulhu: Problem Saving Settings
Settings do not actually save on chrome restart, even though the ticks I check are saved, they do not function as expected.