A Google Chrome Extension to always clear the downloads list of all completed downloads.
An updated version of the popular extension - now compatible with new Chrome versions! This Google Chrome extension makes up for the fact that Chrome does not have an option to keep its download list clear at all times. You can clear the downloads list yourself by hand, but Chrome currently doesn't have an option to automatically clear it for you. This extension does it for you automatically. This extension works in a very simple way: Every few seconds, the downloads list is cleared out for you. Don't worry, the files you downloaded are still there, and in-progress downloads are not harmed. Chrome's internal list simply gets cleaned up for you every five seconds. ==== Please note! ==== There is an unfixed bug in the Google Chrome API which causes this extension to always reset the downloads folder to the default folder. This is a bug in the Chrome API, not a bug in the "Always Clear Downloads in Chrome" extension. For instance, if you configure Chrome's default download folder to "c:\downloads" in Chrome's Advanced Settings, then this extension will keep resetting the folder to be that. If you download a file to a different target location using "Save link as...", and pick a different location such as "c:\other\folder" then instead of that new location being the new default, this extension will cause downloads to go back to "c:\downloads" on the next download. This might not be expected, but it's how the Chrome API works. You might get around this by simply disabling the download shelf instead - instead of clearing the downloads every few seconds. Or increase the clearing interval to an hour, in case you have to download a lot of files to a specific folder. Changes : Version 2.0 -- Support for big clear intervals, like hourly or higher Version 1.9 -- Fixes issue where the download shelf is not disabled after a Chrome restart, unless you re-checked the option manually Version 1.8 -- Fixes initial load with default settings Version 1.7 -- The shelf will clear after active downloads have finished Version 1.6 -- Switched to Chrome's own storage engine Version 1.5 -- Fixes for disabling the shelf Version 1.4 -- Switched to use newer Chrome APIs -- Small fixes Version 1.3 -- Added options page -- You can now set how often the downloads will be cleared -- You can enable/disable the extension in the options -- You can now disable the download shelf
- (2022-10-04) Suneel SG: Works perfectly fine.
- (2022-09-27) Jo LyNguyen: Nice
- (2022-09-14) Mandy Counley: It's only something small, but that little pop up bar used to really aggravate me 🙈 Well it annoys me no more now 😃
- (2022-08-04) CZnec: Thank you.
- (2022-07-29) Miho Migaka: It was very useful since i don't have a big monitor the bar isn't very useful in itself so i don't know why is this extension even needed
- (2022-07-29) C LoWns: I give you 10+++++ stars.... I can't stand that download bar thing and it is now gone!!!
- (2022-07-22) Jerry Chiles III: There is a god, that bar has been a head ache lol
- (2022-07-21) Samuel Carlson: This is so great! Thank you for taking the time to make this and share with us!
- (2022-07-19) Windows “Unix” Linux: 너무 좋았는데 이제는 작동이 안되네요.
- (2022-06-10) Cătălin Negru: Got rid for me of that downloads shelf bar, for free! Thank you!
- (2022-05-03) Robert Schaevitz: Does what it says it will do. Can't beat that.
- (2022-05-03) Marcelo E. Prizmic: Excelente extensión.
- (2022-04-24) Joe List: Great, thank you!
- (2022-04-18) Grim Mystic: Superb extension
- (2022-04-09) Riddhiman Wahal: Superb extension!
- (2022-03-28) L W: not working on my chromebook
- (2022-03-26) ニツキ・ウィスコド: i say just nice.
- (2022-03-18) John Nguyen: Super helpful. I first thought that the option "Clear downloads every few seconds" would cancel an upload if it hasn't finished, but no, I was wrong. It only clear downloads when it's finished.
- (2022-02-26) Manish Jain: grt job
- (2022-02-24) Josafat Reyes (AJ): ¡Muy buena extensión!
- (2022-02-22) Seracious Ninety-Nine: A small extension that works as promised. Would definitely recommend!
- (2022-02-20) Jonathan Befort: Did what it said, removed the download bar at the bottom of every chrome browser window after you downloaded something. I always found it really annoying to have to x out of the downloads bar whenever I downloaded something, so this is great.
- (2022-01-31) Shawn Kloter: My OCD makes me close this bar immediately when something is downloaded. I'm so glad this extension was offered!
- (2022-01-26) Blasterixx: Works!
- (2021-11-30) Xuan Lu: Thank you for the extension! It works great!
- (2021-11-25) Michael Chiasson: Finally, no more annoying download popups interrupting my work!
- (2021-11-24) Noah Buster: Brilliant and simple solution to the annoying downloads in Chrome. Thank you!
- (2021-11-23) renan silva: works better than i expected
- (2021-09-21) René Wilhelm: Chinese Spyware. Not open source. Use "Always Clear Downloads 2", it's open source.
- (2021-09-19) Jim Power: Does exactly what I needed it to do. Got rid of the annoying download bar.
- (2021-09-06) 소은sou: love it. thank you for this nifty little app!
- (2021-09-02) Saiful Azhar: Awesome. Its been so long
- (2021-08-31) Masalief Maulana: i like this
- (2021-08-31) BANCING & GYM THE BEST BODY: muchas gracias por esta extencion espero no me robe mis datos
- (2021-08-29) Ryf: It does what it said. I'm happy with it.
- (2021-07-30) Daniel Sánchez: Esta extensión es excelente. Cumple con su tarea y es simple.
- (2021-07-18) 녹두콩로봇: 매번 눌러서 없애기 귀찮았는데. 그런 수고를 덜어줘서 매우 만족합니다.
- (2021-07-09) Alex Desperrier: Works good. Thanks!
- (2021-07-02) An WIld: Good, easy to use, epic.
- (2021-06-30) Velten Witte: Perfect!
- (2021-06-08) Huh Kathy: That was great extension for hidden the annoying download and also delete the recent download. It is useful extension for chrome.
- (2021-05-25) Jerome Good: I needed it! It would be better if clear is excuted 'after x seconds' instead of 'every x seconds' Thanks for great app :D
- (2021-05-25) Artur Pereira Alencar: Works like it says, it's pretty good.
- (2021-05-22) Aseer Uz Zaman: Gets the job done
- (2021-05-19) Amanda Lam: Works like a charm! No download bar eyesore at the bottom of my screen. I'm a researcher and download tons of journal articles as well as email attachments, etc.
- (2021-05-05) Ye Lin Naing: I was so annoying on Chrome's download shelf. Then, I found this extension. Great app!
- (2021-05-02) tiktok simplemart: The best plugin for me!
- (2021-04-19) Dr. Jonnadula Ganesh Babu: has features asked for .
- (2021-04-09) Sylvain F. DUBOIS: Je l'utilise depuis plusieurs années sans avoir eu de problème. Permet de conserver un navigateur Internet propre et discret.
- (2021-04-05) Yaakov Cantor: Excellent. Appreciate the new feature allowing you to choose how soon to clear the downloads
- (2021-02-18, v:2.0) Mike Pawka: Extension no longer works
Stopped working a whle back.
- (2020-11-26, v:2.0) Mike Pawka: Always Clear Downloads
No longer works. Chrome 87.0.4280.66
- (2020-10-06, v:2.0) Mike Pawka: No Longer works
Just stopped working, I've been using it for years. Chrome 85
- (2020-07-31, v:2.0) Виталий: Notification when download shelf is disabled.
Good day! Is it possible to add "Fade" or some sort of effect, in replace of disabled download shelf? I just need some kind of notification that the download has started actually (but I hate download shelf). Thank You!
- (2020-06-23, v:2.0) Jay Jay: Doesn't clear with new Microsoft Edge Chrome
BUT it clears on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. :)
- (2019-10-29, v:1.9) Alcnstr K: Keeping the download animation
Hello, Im not sure if it has ever been suggested or if its possible, but is there a way to keep the download animation (the arrow at the bottom left corner, when download shelf is active) so one can see a download has been initiated? I think it would be a great touch to the extension. I bet people might be downloading the same thing multiple times if they look away for a second to do something else, etc.
- (2019-09-16, v:1.9) David Junior: Versão Offline
Ola, boa tarde, gostaria de saber se não tem um instalador dessa extensão Offline, para que possa embutir em um aplicativo de parametrização de computadores, temos um aplicativo que parametriza as maquinas de nossos clientes, e gostamos de sua extensão, porem gostaria de embutir ja em nosso software pra sempre instalar sua extensão em nossos clientes. Tem um instalador ?
- (2019-08-27, v:1.8) JD Prouty: Download shelf re-appears after restarting Chrome.
The settings seem to have been saved but I have to open settings, uncheck "Disable download shelf" and re-check it after every Chrome reboot. "Clear downloads every few seconds" is unchecked. AMA...
- (2019-06-12, v:1.7) johann jensson: Disable Download Shelf doesn't work on current Chrome versions.
"Only disable download shelf" doesn't work anymore. It worked on my previous Win10 install, but i installed anew, and now the setting does nothing. The download bar appears all the time. Is it possible to fix this? All the other extensions for removing the download bar don't work neither any more, so this one is my last hope. :)
- (2019-05-21, v:1.3) Carpet Muncher: Problem Saving Settings
Settings do not actually save on chrome restart, even though the ticks I check are saved, they do not function as expected.