Annotate web pages, PDFs, Google Slides, and Google Docs to improve engagement. Annotate in Google Meet when screen sharing.
New in v8.17+ • Create Google Classroom assignments using web pages New in v8.16+ • Export annotated web pages as PDFs New in v8.13+ • Bookmarks in PDFs • Hide/unhide PDF pages Freely annotate web pages, PDF documents, Google Slides and Google Docs content when presenting. Keep your audience engaged with live annotations during your remote learning and Google Meet sessions. New! Annotate PDFs on your Google Drive or on the web by selecting “Open with Annotate”. Annotations are sticky and remain in place as you zoom, scroll, and navigate. The same user interface and annotation tools now work across PDFs, Google Slides, Google Docs, and web pages. With improved compatibility with Google Slides and Google Docs, we track annotations for every slide/ page so your annotations remain in sync as you navigate across slides/ pages. Tight integration with Google Slides and Google Docs also enables switching between app controls/ menus and our annotation tools seamlessly. Our annotations are smooth, fast, and anchored in place as you zoom and navigate, making your content look professional and engaging. Save your annotations in your account for review later. Share them with others or come back and continue working from where you left off. Capture screenshots of marked up pages and insert them directly into your Annotate notebook. All this as you share¹ your entire screen, an application, or just a single Chrome tab with a projector² and multiple student devices. The plugin works seamlessly with your Annotate.net instructor account to enable annotations over web pages and screen sharing¹ during LiveStreams. When installed on classroom devices, you can empower students to take an active role in their learning by giving them the ability to annotate web pages and share their screens using the "Pass Control" feature. Teachers, students, and Google Meet users shall be able to: • Freely annotate web pages, PDFs, Google Slides, and Google Docs using the pen and highlighter tools³. • Annotate PDFs on their Google Drive or on the web by selecting “Open with Annotate”. • Annotate Google Slides in both edit and present modes. Google slides annotations are tracked and saved for every slide. • Save annotations directly into their Annotate web account⁴. • Share their annotations with others⁴. • Capture screenshots of web pages with annotations and add them directly into an Annotate notebook. • Insert images from the web, including image searches, directly into their Annotate notebook with just a click. • Use the laser pointer tool to point out details and draw attention. • Stream their entire desktop screen, a single application, or just a Chrome tab¹. • Stream speaker and microphone audio¹ from their computer to a projector² and student devices. • Select a monitor for sharing if they have multiple screens/monitors connected to their computer¹. Create an account at https://annotate.net to access these awesome features. ¹The extension provides screen sharing and audio streaming support in your Annotate web account in older versions of Chrome. ²Requires the Annotate Mirror Client v11.0+ or the Annotate Chrome Client Lite running on the PC/ Mac/ Chromebox connected to your projector. ³Feature limitations may apply depending on your account type. Please review https://annotate.net/pricing for the list of features available in different accounts. ⁴Some features are not available in student accounts. Version History New in v7.22+ • Page rotation in PDFs • Blank document/ Infinite canvas support for PDFs and web pages New in v7.20+ • Google Classroom support New in v7.00+ • Bug fixes and general improvements Tools and features added in versions prior to 7.0 • Screen Shade tool with Spotlight support • Comments in web pages • Improved compatibility with Canva • Drawing support when toolbar is minimized • Export Google Slides with annotations and media³ • View, add, edit, and reply to comments in PDFs • Export PDFs with annotations and media³ • Add Media (images and videos) • Timer and Stopwatch • Voice notes • Screen + Camera recording • Multi-line Equation Editor • Line, Rectangle (Box), and Ellipse
- (2022-12-15) Anja Winter: Very nice and better than expected!!! A few things I would like to see improved: 1) Text size - we should be able to make the text bigger otherwise can't be used for presenting. Edit: It actually it possible to make the text bigger, but very hidden... You have to scroll right to get more font sizes and often, the scrolling doesn't work. Also typing in the text size doesn't always work. 2) Short cut for "add text" .. would be super useful to quickly add text when presenting :) 3) Custom short cuts would be amazing! 4) It would be nice to be able to save "favorites" or "last used", so for example if I always use a red arrow to point: It would be nice if it's always saved in the main toolbar without me having to go to the 3 dots for "more", choosing the line, adding an arrow and changing the color each time I restart Chrome. Thanks!
- (2022-10-10) Jeremy Fleming: Tried to sign up, got "Sorry, we are not able to process your registration. Please try later." Really wish I could just use the extension without having to sign up.
- (2022-08-21) Ulysses Potiguara: I was looking for an simple whiteboard annotator tool and this jumped out. Better than I expected. The tool works seamlessly with webpages, keeping the annotation right on the place even when you scroll the page. Perfect tool for graphic tablets.
- (2022-08-19) Dila Kirana: the annotation didn't show on my student side when I shared screen in google meet. I guess its not the extension I'm looking for
- (2022-05-29) Agee K.: Bezpłatną wersję można sobie odpuścić
- (2022-04-10) Madame Minty: It does exactly what I want: it can add highlights, basic drawings, and text to a website. It does it in the crappiest way possible without outright failing: annotations save very slowly, have to be loaded manually, it's only to servers apparently (instead of local), and it's just 10 pages total for free (not to mention limited editing: "Fixed color, font, size, and thickness"). The limits aren't that bad, but the immense sluggishness is (at least make it asynchronous or something!)
- (2022-03-09) Samuel da Silva Nunes Paiva: Muito bom, mas acho que a paleta de cores salvas poderia ser maior, mesmo que ela não ficasse visível por inteiro, mas poderia expandir com apenas um clique. Outro ponto negativo é a falta de detecção de pressão da caneta.
- (2022-02-05) Fernanda Botello: Me gustaba mucho y me ayudó en varias ocasiones con mis pdf´s, luego se volvió premium y ahora no puedo usar el marcador de textos, si uso el otro se mueve todo y no funciona, me decepcionó bastante.
- (2022-01-25) Rogerio M. Souza: Very practical! It is fast in loading the extension and using its tools. CONST; Does not have highLights editing
- (2022-01-13) Jhalak Kapoor: I love it but is not free Pls make it free if you can not so pls do that we can use 5 pens and 3 hiliters after free trial pls do it
- (2021-12-16) Michael Emelyanov: $17.5/Year for this.
- (2021-12-02) PAPERHEART: Loved it. A little suggestion, I find it is inconvenient that the toolbar cannot be maximize. I use undo button a lot but it is not available on the main tool bar. Another way is to use ctrl+z but again, I find it is inconvenient.
- (2021-11-22) Артем Кожемякин: Unable to register with the following error: "Sorry, we are not able to process your registration. Please try later."
- (2021-11-12) Luis Trujillo: It wouldn't even register.
- (2021-11-04) K. M. Hill: Text annotations are not working for me. I can get a text box to appear, but it does not accept any typed characters.
- (2021-10-19) Luís Santos: nao funciona
- (2021-10-17) Charlie Wang: nice
- (2021-09-23) Ki-tae Kim: It was a bit lagging when I tried it last time, so I disabled it for a while. When I enabled it again, I realized that a color (and thickness) choice was not possible on the pen and highlight tools on my educator starter account. (I don't remember if it was possible last time, but it probably was thanks to the trial period). Having only a black pen free certainly reduces its value against the competitors despite all the amazing updates since. It certainly has advantages such as sticky annotations, but for ordinary classes with slides written in black fonts, I look elsewhere.
- (2021-09-16) Shubhamkar Ayare: This takes the annotations "away" from the webpage; not what I want; seems great for note taking the usual way though.
- (2021-09-04) Today I tried the extension for the first time, it really what I was looking for, I considered the pro subscription but the extension lacks one of the most crucial features : the ability to automatically save & load the annotations made on the web page, it's really stupid that we have to do that manually for each web page, I hope you work on that ASAP !! Thank you !
- (2021-09-01) Ashley Lindoff: I have loved using Annotate.net and it has by far been the best annotating chrome extension out there. However, I would love to be able to use different colors for the pen. Also it always signs me out so I have to resign in every time I want to annotate my screen. I also don't have a need for the annotate web account so ideally I would like to not have to create an account just to use the extension. All that being said this is a great tool for online instruction! My favorite feature is being able to erase the entire line instead of erasing by pixel. It makes erasing very easy and quick. I also really like how quick and smooth the pen is.
- (2021-08-31) Julia Jose: When I use the extension on kaggle.com, the annotations do not adjust while scrolling and is stuck to its position. Why is that?
- (2021-08-22) Darren Pang: Can you guys fix the bug of the toolbar only appearing on 1 chrome window (not speaking about different tab) in chrome? It doesn't appear on other windows of chrome. I use multiple windows of chrome, and the tool would only show up on the first windows of chrome, and not in others. Everything else it's good app.
- (2021-08-20) Stephen So: Can you add muting microphone in screen recording and laser pen ( a pen that is red and you draw and then it disappears)
- (2021-08-17) Công Cao: Why I can't change my brush color ?
- (2021-07-27) JacobLi: Each time I close my browser, and then reopen it, I have to login once again. Please do repair the problem.
- (2021-07-22) Cyrus Chuang: Hi, I love the website annotation tool! The only pain that I have now is that the text and highlight added to the web moves when I scroll up and down the web. Could that be fixed? Thanks :)
- (2021-07-14) Gerardo Dávila Hérnandez: Me ha gustado muchísimo. Me sirve muy bien para hacer anotaciones en paǵinas web o en alguna presentación en google drive mientras presento en Google Meet.
- (2021-06-23) Ratnavathy Ragunathan: This is really good - love using itin my class. How do I enlarge the fonts on screen while writing??
- (2021-06-08) Heavens Preschool Vatanappally: Very use full application, but it doesn't annotate local PDFs opened in browser
- (2021-04-15) Yiling Wang: This one requires registration and login. Anyone knows an alternative which doesn't?
- (2021-04-14) DULL: unabled regist
- (2021-03-25) 재 Euphoria: Love it, but I don't really like it when it only lets you sign up with your school account
- (2021-03-14) Dragonite's Skittles: This was really helpful but it would be nice if there was a tool that allowed you to draw straight lines. It helps me with my math a lot but because we are doing angles it would be nice to have something a little more accurate.
- (2021-03-09) Maegan: I just don't like how you have to sighn up in with a school gmail.
- (2021-02-23) Corgi: THIS IS STUPID. IT WON'T WORK. AND IT'S NOT EVEN SHOWING IN THE LIBRARY. THIS IS USELESS AND BORING. THE CAMERA DOES NOT WORK AND SAME WITH THE AUDIO! WORSE EEXTENSION.
- (2021-02-17) Lucia Ruiz: LOVE!
- (2021-02-10) David Warren: great app to keep my daughter on track for school. but one problem how do i get sound on her computer when her computer is mirroring to mine there is no sound. any ideas cause that defeats my whole idea therefore im gonna have to uninstall and cancel my subscription.
- (2021-02-09) Erin Barrett Allen: Great simple app that works well with my electronic drawing pad and has no lag over zoom. There was a minor glitch in their Type Text tool that I notified them about and it was fixed in short order. Worth the price paid for this online teacher :) I wish that it worked on pdfs that I open in Chrome, but that's a minor issue.
- (2021-02-05) Saanvi Tayal: It doesn't work on the pdfs opened in Google but other websites.
- (2021-02-03) Jeremy Georges-Filteau: Can not register at the moment.....??
- (2021-01-17) Joy Faith: really love it as it works like ms word pen. but would love to check does it work on ms pptx and docx? not sure how to get it going.
- (2021-01-15) DIsa WestLund: It works but the annotating on my device is a little bit off. Good job creating this though! My children use this when making yt vids
- (2020-12-12) Rafael Menezes: Seems OK, but does not work in some websites (does not work with reveal.js)
- (2020-12-11) Jean Ravenclaw: Love it, so useful and fully-features, with good UI. The annotate website has even more features than I originally wanted. Thanks!
- (2020-11-09) Robert Szmurlo: Great plugin allowing to make annotations in a browser almost on any webpage. Very useful during lectures and laboratories online. Allows to save a screenshot and store it directly in the cloud in Annotate.net system, which is really great when dealing with online presentations and sharing it to the students later on. Regarding the annotate.net system, one of the killer features for me in presentation mode is possibility to botom or right extend the slide live during the presentation for the purpose of making additional drawings, explanations to listeners. I am not using screen casting features and collaboration with students features as we have other platforms for this, but am focusing on drawing and annotating functionalities. After half of the year of using and trying different applications I must say that annotate.net suits me best. It just works.
- (2020-10-28) Cielo Uribe: tf its broken i thought it had saved my life wen i signed up they didnt metion that there was a payment needed or that i had singed up for free trial kkinda heart breaking becausei reaally loved the app but o well it sucked anyways and is really annoying tbh
- (2020-10-22) Luis Valle: Love it! does anyone know how to undo an annotation? like undo only the last one, not delete all of them?
- (2020-10-03) Diego Marques: O melhor !
- (2020-09-26) sigalit raziel: Writes beautifully only that the pen is too thick and it is not possible to choose a thickness of writing
- (2023-03-08, v:8.17) Jon Burt: Annotate stops working periodically
I am frequently having an issue when I screen share a chrome window using Microsoft Teams. The annotate feature works for about 10 minutes and then stops writing. I can't interact with the chrome browser at all. I have to close out the window, stop sharing on Teams, reopen a browser and share on Teams again. This happened 3 times in a 2.5 hour class. Any suggestions?
- (2023-03-06, v:8.17) Cheng 2 Zhu: Registration failed
Hello, I've tried many times to create a new account in annotate but it keeps saying that you've failed to complete my registration, i have already tried to wait a day so i could try again but still with no results. Can you help me?
- (2023-02-05, v:8.15) Louise Heisler: annotate
can't get the annotate toolbar to show up on my homescreen
- (2023-01-26, v:8.14) Andrew Reil: annotate other screen?
When my student is sharing their screen, can I annotate where I want them to click (like zoom does)?
- (2023-01-19, v:8.14) Cory Eckles: Trying to upgrade, button isn't working
Just FYI, Trying to upgrade, button isn't working. Love your stuff! Thank you
- (2022-11-27, v:8.10) John Valente: Annotate in Screen Sharing
I use Google Meet for my classes. When I share my screen, I see my annotations but my students don't. Is there a solution for this? I have received an offer to upgrade which I would do if this feature is available.
- (2022-10-04, v:7.23) Halliday Gideon (My Super Teacher): Annotate on shared Screen
When I annotate on my while sharing documents, I could see my annotation, but others can't see my annotations. I am not talking about whiteboard here.
- (2022-09-27, v:7.22) Mark Vening: Is there a way to reorder the icons on the toolbar manually?
I use the line, text and box icons regularly and would like to put them where the freehand, highlight and laser pointer are. Any help gratefully recieved. Thank you for a great extension.
- (2022-09-13, v:7.21) Mallemaroking: Highlight doesn't scroll
When I highlight on some pages and I need to scroll it doesn't scroll with the page and instead stays stuck in the same place.
- (2022-09-06, v:7.21) Kavinya A: Not able to register
I can't able to register.
- (2022-09-01, v:7.21) Musa Khan: Minimizing toobar when using it to annotate slides
How do i draw while minimizing the toolbar. That option is gray'd out. How do I get to that.
- (2022-07-27, v:7.18) Tom Piche: Annotating on PDFs
Hi I don't see how to annotate on a PDF. I am opening a PDF file from my hard drive and using the Chrome Browser to open it. The PDF file shows but I cannot get the annotation toolbar to display. Please advise how I can annotate on a PDF.
- (2022-07-11, v:7.17) P Junior: Notes/Drawing are static when using it on the editing mode of Google Forms.
I cannot take notes/draw on google forms results form my students anymore. Hello there!! Since the last update I cannot apply notes or drawing on google forms editing mode or results from my students anymore. Before the last update I could annotate or draw on them and I could scroll down i.e. I could see all the corrections I had made on students exercises. Nowadays I need to erase the notes and I need to scroll down to the next exercise in order to correct it with my students. The notes remain static while I'm scrolling down and it happens only when I'm displaying the answers from students.
- (2022-06-22, v:7.13) Matt Lindgren: annotate won't load
I use a Chromebook for school and we use annotate. I have the annotate chrome extension loaded, but when I try to launch annotate now, I click on the pinned extension and a small window opens below the icon and it says "Loading" - but it never loads. After approx. 15 sec, the window disappears. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the extension, but it still doesn't work - HELP.
- (2022-05-07, v:6.57) Khushbu Arora: annotation not showing
When I use the annotate feature after sharing my screen on Google meet, it is visible on my screen but other people can not see any changes to the shared file. using mac
- (2021-12-30, v:6.36) SOORAJ S: Download annotated files
How to download "annotated" (modified) files from annotate.net web account to my Google Drive?
- (2021-12-04, v:6.36) מיכל זילברשטיין: Help
is there any way to also mark on google slides note? becase I only can to mark on presentsion itself
- (2021-11-22, v:6.35) Luci Mikaro: the drawing tool doesn't work anymore
Hello, I've been testing annotate chrome extension and I was very happy until 2 days ago. Now the pen tablet is not detected well - I can't use it because my line shows up like 5 centimeters away from where I'm drawing. By the way, other whiteboarding tools such as Microsoft's Windows ink and paint tool (another chrome extension) work just fine.
- (2021-10-22, v:6.31) Simon Ang: Extension not working in Google slide when I click "Present" on Google slide
1) on the website, the extension work fine. 2) On the Google slide, where I did NOT click "PRESENT", the extension is still working. 3) But, on the Google slide, where I did click "PRESENT", the extension is NOT working. Pls advice
- (2021-10-21, v:6.31) Jonathan Silochan: I want to upgrade but not getting through
My credit Card is only declining with your service but working with everything else. Is there another option or another payment link? Please advise.
- (2021-10-19, v:6.31) Alexey Sokolov: Google slides Full screen mode
The app is working in full screen mode for Google slides but when I try to save annotations in this mode - the modal screen is hanging on "wait" status and nothing happened. MacOS BigSur, Chrome - Version 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (x86_64)
- (2021-10-16, v:6.31) Inglês Materiais de Estudo: PDF files
How can I use Annotate on PDF files?
- (2021-09-22, v:6.30) zahidah murira: Annotations not Appearing on downloads
Hi Team My annotations are not appearing on the page when I download google slides
- (2021-09-18, v:6.30) Alvin Chen: scrolling & annotations
Hi, I have a quick question. I know that when using the text highlighter, the color highlights would stay in the exact place of the web page when scrolling. But what about the annotations done with the pen or pen highlighter? They don't seem to stay in the exact location of the web page contents when we scroll the page. Rather, they stay in the fixed place of the SCREEN, which is a bit bizarre. Could you help? Alvin
- (2021-09-12, v:6.29) Stephanie Scognamiglio: Pen Tool
The pen tool used to offer the choice of various colors when clicked. Suddently, this feature has been lost. Now, when clicked the pen automatically goes to black and won't allow different colors. Is there a way to fix this?
- (2021-08-22, v:6.28) Darren Pang: Toolbar bug, only appearing on 1 Windows of chrome, other multiple windows of chrome wouldn't show the toolbar
Can you guys fix the bug of the toolbar only appearing on 1 chrome window (not speaking about different tab) in chrome? It doesn't appear on other windows of chrome. I use multiple windows of chrome, and the tool would only show up on the first windows of chrome, and not in others. Everything else it's good app.
- (2021-08-06, v:6.20) JacobLi: have to login each time I reopen the browser
have to login each time I reopen the browser though I have check cookies settings to ensure "Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" to off. I have try for more than ten times, but it doesn‘t’ work still. I have try Edge also, but the problem appears the same.
- (2021-08-05, v:6.20) Thinkwell Julie Welch: Using Loom with Annotate on Google slides with a Wacom tablet.
When I'm using the annotate tool, the pen icon is flashing at various parts of the slide and isn't following my writing. I've uninstalled and re-installed Loom, Annotate, and calibrated the tablet. Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks! Julie
- (2021-08-05, v:6.20) JacobLi: have to login each time I reopen the browser
have to login each time I reopen the browser though I have check cookies settings to ensure "Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" to off. I have try for more than ten times, but it does work still. I have try edge also, but the problem appears again.
- (2021-08-03, v:6.20) Nèstor Abad: Keyboard shortcuts?
While I'm writing and drawing on the instructor's whiteboard, I would like to quickly change tool with my keyboard. Are there any shortcuts available to select the pen, the highlighter, etc?
- (2021-07-30, v:6.20) JacobLi: have to login every time I reopen my browser
Just as the title showed, hope it will be repaired as quickly as possible.
- (2021-07-26, v:6.20) sh2 shane: payment
Do we need to pay for Annotate: Web Annotations with Screen Sharin on The Work space ? Thank you.
- (2021-07-12, v:6.20) Arlaina Gardner: Color pen
I used to be able to access different colors for the pen, but now I can only access black. I have the unlimited educational account. How do I access all of the colors for the pen?
- (2021-03-26, v:5.63) Charles Kangai: Upgrade
I can't upgrade because the payment system does not accept UK postal codes! The error is "Postal code is not valid"!.
- (2021-01-28, v:5.57) Erin Barrett Allen: lower case "n" in the text typing feature not working
When I click on the capital T to type in a text box using your annotation tool, the lower case "n" won't work. I have tried 2 different keyboards so I know it is not hardward. And my n works just fine in other apps. I can, however, type a capital N! Please fix, as I teach elementary and purchased your app to annotate the screen as I teach remotely. The lack of an n or using a capital in the middle of a word is very annoying.
- (2020-12-21, v:5.55) Francis Roy: Other Colors ?
Any ways to add custom Colors to the extension like on the web app ?
- (2020-12-21, v:5.55) Bridget Murray: no annotations
Hi, It doesn't happen all the time but when I'm annotating in Google Slides, the extension freezes and I'm unable to annotate in the middle of my lesson. It will stop working in the middle of me writing. I try logging out and try logging back in but it doesn't always work.
- (2020-12-11, v:5.55) Jean Ravenclaw: CTRL + Y (redo)
pls make CTRL + Y work
- (2020-12-11, v:5.55) Jean Ravenclaw: The pointer design
Please either make it a dot or a diagonal pen. The pen that's straight up makes me so confused.
- (2020-11-05, v:5.31) Kathlyn Cera Tabotabo: Student
I dont have a course code thats the problem that i cannot use the Annotate: Web Annotations with Screen Sharing.
- (2020-09-17, v:5.28) Mark McDougall: How to sign up? When trying to use the extension for the first time, I cannot create a registration. Whenever I try to create a non-educator account, I get an error message that my registration cannot be completed at this time. Help!
When trying to use the extension for the first time, I cannot create a registration. Whenever I try to create a non-educator account, I get an error message that my registration cannot be completed at this time. Help!
- (2020-09-17, v:5.28) Justin Morris: Annotation bar no longer appears
when I toggle the annotation button, it no longer shows the annotation bar. Am I missing something?
- (2020-09-09, v:5.27) Maureen Sikora: Annotating on Google slide and presenting it
I used the annotation tool and was able to annotate on a google slide only if it was not in present mode. After I annotated, and clicked on present mode, it wasn't there. However, clicking out of present mode it was there. So I clicked on the camera icon to copy to present slide, which it said it couldn't do. Then I used the camera icon and pasted it to the slide, and that was successful and was now visible in present mode. However, after the image was pasted onto the slide, the eraser in the tool bar could no longer erase the image since it was an image and not the actual annotation. How can we make it so that : 1. I could annotate directly onto a blank slide in present mode AND use the eraser to fix any mistakes on that annotation while in present mode?
- (2020-06-02, v:5.11) Sami Coll: how to save the annotations?
hi, thanks for this great app. though, i miss an important feature : i'd like to SAVE the annotations somewhere so when i go back to the webpage i can find them back. it is possible? many thanks, sami
- (2020-04-16, v:5.10) Lucas K#: Hello annotate
How do I start using the colors? Thx