Limit your time spent on distracting sites. Limit is an extension that allows you to set time limits for distracting websites.
When you control your time on distracting websites, you’ll find you have far more time to focus on the things that matter most. To use Limit, simply enter the websites you find distracting and choose a daily time limit. For example, you could limit yourself to ten minutes a day on Facebook, or half an hour a day on Duolingo. When you approach your limit, Limit gently notifies you your time is almost up, so you can wrap up. And when you've reached your limit, you'll be directed to Freedom's calming Green Screen when you try to visit a limited website. - You can add or delete any website from the list of sites - Your time limit for each site is configurable, from 5 to 500 minutes - Limit comes pre-seeded with 10 distracting sites Limit is a product of Freedom Labs, where we develop new tools to help you balance your relationship with technology. Like our other extensions, Limit is highly privacy-conscious. None of your data is sent anywhere (the cloud, our servers, etc.) It remains secure on your own device. Learn more about Freedom here: https://freedom.to We hope you find Limit to be a simple and useful tool for developing healthier online habits and routines. Please note: Limit 1.0.3 is third release with Manifest 3 compatibility. You may experience slight differences in behavior due to the significant changes required to comply with Manifest V3. Please send us your feedback at [email protected] and we'll continue to improve Limit. Thank you! Release notes - 1.0.3: 🐞 Fixes a bug with our countdown timer notifications
- (2023-09-21) Igor Zaparov: Simple, can block sites forever, not only for some period of time
- (2023-09-14) Alon Galperin: Very simple, working perfectly
- (2023-09-10) Opium: I was looking for an extension like this for a long time, I finally managed to find a perfect one, thank you very much to the developers, very useful work
- (2023-09-09) Hivin Rathnayake: my productivity is still not high, BUT THIS EXTENSION KEEPS ME OFF OF SOCIAL MEDIA SO MY MENTAL HEALTH IS SO MUCH BETTER
- (2023-08-26) Rennex _: Please add me a password locking feature
- (2023-08-26) thejus kk: been searching for this so long. actually helps with distraction. thank you so much to the developers.
- (2023-08-22) Kathryn Caine: Works exactly as I needed it too. I love that it keeps track of the minutes even when you close out of the page then come back later in the day. It also has a little countdown clock in the corner so that you can see how much time you have left. I wasn't sure if it would just ring a timer when the time was up but it actually blocked the page.
- (2023-08-21) Felipe Vega: This is my first time writing a review for anything and I have to say that im truly grateful for this extension. Works exactly as intended. Would give it 10 stars if I could.
- (2023-08-15) Jia Jin Lew: Setting your own limit to distracting websites is extremely useful when you have serious pending work,, great to set as reminder before accessing the specific websites
- (2023-08-14) Jay Tripathi: AMAING EVERY ONE USE JUST ADD A ADD 5 MIN OPTION FOR ANY IMPORTENT WORK SO I CAN;T GO DIACTLY APP
- (2023-08-11) Parth: This extension is extremely useful, really helpful to limit my time wasted
- (2023-08-06) Brahmani K: Awsome extension ever! This really helps me focus on my studies
- (2023-08-03) Alexander Sverdlov: not having a separate children section to control children's devices and habits is a miss. Great overall, even the free version, but I got the premium one.
- (2023-08-02) Ahmad Harb: Great extension, which this functionality was built into freedom itself as well since there is no locked mode for this.
- (2023-07-31) Apple Juice: This extension is absolutely amazing. It's so helpful when it comes to productivity.
- (2023-07-30) Łukasz Szczygielski: Simple and useful.
- (2023-07-30) Nishikanth Vellore: Just simple and elegant
- (2023-07-27) jean-philippe Favre: Well i just want to say a BIG thank you. It is quite amazing to see how we can quickly "loose" time by watching youtube video, checking your email etc... Freedom is really helping me to get more focus and more concentrate on my daily tasks. Combine this with the great APP that they developed and you good to go for SUCCEES. thanks guys for such a great initiative. JP
- (2023-07-15) Aparna P: Saves me a lot of time daily!
- (2023-07-10) its eye: thx man cant tell how much this helps
- (2023-07-04) Amida Cumming: Love the idea and the simplicity, but like others I've found that the timer simply stops working - for me it was after a couple of days. Even when I have spent well beyond the allotted time on the active tab, the timer doesn't change. I've seen the suggestions to remove and reinstall etc, and I look forward to seeing this problem resolved, but unfortunately an extension that I have to troubleshoot is not so great for my focus!
- (2023-06-29) Hima Gamal: I love how simple and on-point this extension is, and I really love the show timer feature and the custom time option for each website especially the zero option 👍👍
- (2023-06-26) Gia Bảo Lê Vũ: Simple, easy to use, do exactly what it need to do, no more no less. This app help me a lots in keeping me focus from distracting websites.
- (2023-06-25) David Greekas: Simple to use and does what is needed. While you can go back and change the time fairly easily it does what I need it to do and that is remind me to spend less time on specific sites or block them on specific computers. Really good for stopping habits where you just happen to pop open another window to "check the site" all the time.
- (2023-06-12) Patty Thomas: Great simple extension that helps me focus on work by blocking distractions.
- (2023-06-11) Livingston Zug: It's fantastic! Simple but very helpful.
- (2023-06-09) Gabri Holdsworth: It helped me focused, and made me be able to get my work done! Thanks!
- (2023-06-08) Empirical Alpha: No good if you have a duel screen. The counter seems to count down based on the Chrome tab being the active or focus window. So if you have youtube up but say reading the news on a second monitor the counter doesn't go down on the video even when its playing. Needs more thought put into the design. Should be based on if the tab is visible on the screen (if that is possible with Chrome).
- (2023-06-07) Anne Von Gerstedt: So far so good. I set all times to 0 so I can only watch Movies etc. on the TV. This way I only work on my laptop.
- (2023-06-01) Kirsten Rosselot: Limit used to work but now it doesn't count down when I'm visiting a website that is only supposed to allow me 30 minutes. The little popup timer gives me 30 more minutes no matter how long I spend on the site. It's been this way for a while and there is no way to get help.
- (2023-06-01) Sz27 Clz75m: was looking for something like for ages (then it stopped working)
- (2023-05-26) J.J. Käthe: Worked great for a few days then stopped working - the time remaining never went down (Would stay at the limit I'd set e.g. 10 min). Tried messing with settings but couldn't resolve the issue.
- (2023-05-23) Connor Norris: Very easy-to-use minimalist website Tracker/Limiter, Best one I've used yet.
- (2023-05-18) Dolores Campbell: GREAT PRODUCTIVITY APP I am so easily distracted by various websites. I also procrastinate by playing games. This app is easy to use. It has a lot of preset limits for things like FB all of which are changeable. You can type in your own websites and set a limit on them. You can easily disable the limit if you need more time. It's an easy to use app that does what it says
- (2023-05-14) Avanish Pati Tripathi: It does what it says, will recommend it 100%
- (2023-05-06) Yen Phan: Luckily I found this extension. Thank you for making this. Helping to focus on myself, doing things more productively. If you have a feature, where we can write our own message when we reach the limit, would be nice. Thank you, Thank you and Thank you. I hope you will develop more useful app like this
- (2023-05-04) Đỗ Hoàng Sơn: Really useful extension especially for perennial procrastinator like me. Thanks the freedom team for this amazing work
- (2023-04-30) Ada Lovelace: Works as advertised! Fairly customisable for a free extension, nice calming screen when a website's time runs out. All good! Now is the question of whether I can stick with it...
- (2023-04-24) Stanley Fleming III: Exactly as advertised. Simple. Clean. Helpful. I find myself way more productive with the time limits in place. I would not know how to react if this extension became unavailable.
- (2023-04-23) Simone: so sexy thanks guys
- (2023-04-19) shadow dweller: This is simple, easy to use, and no learning curve is there. Plus, some preadded websites are also there. I initially got it for Netflix, which is already there in the list.
- (2023-04-05) Endasil: Randomly resets the time spent counter, so not as efficient as i would like.
- (2023-04-05) Harshul Jain: I liked the concept but it needs some improvement like once set limit it should not be available for update in next 24 hours.
- (2023-03-31) Avinab Patnaik: does what its supposed to do as efficiently what more can anyone ask for ?
- (2023-03-28) Martia: thank you for making this slight oversight i want to report I appreciate the timer change to be counting down, however the desktop notifications still trigger in the order they used to where if i limit youtube to 80 minutes, instead of getting a 10 minute warning in 70 minutes, i get it in 10.
- (2023-03-27) Ernesto Lana: It works like the digital well-being feature of Android phones. Very convenient to set healthy limits for browsing specific websites.
- (2023-03-18) Amy Roberts: I love this idea and became a lifetime subscriber to Freedom just to get this. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. It will get stuck at a particular time (I use the timer) - maybe at 0 minutes, maybe at 9 minutes, etc. Usually (but not always) disabling the limits and then re-enabling them makes it work again. I really hope they get the kinks worked out, because when it does work, it keeps my online usage within reasonable limits and keeps me from wasting time online!
- (2023-03-17) Yuren Deokaran: simple and effective tool. would love if we could specifify time in units of time that arent 5-minute blocks. like 3, 4, or 7. seems an uncessary constraint. i would use the feature for a "quick fix". social = DMs, news = headlines, and OUT!
- (2023-03-16) Nathaniel Chen: It's great while it works, but sometimes it just stops working. It won't block the websites because it seems like the timer is broken or something and its not counting the time spent on the website.
- (2023-03-13) Devil Gameplay: Exactly what I needed.
- (2023-09-23, v:1.0.3) Thiha Ko: [email protected]
- (2023-09-05, v:1.0.3) Alexandra Souly: Counter not counting down
After installing the counters work fine, but they get stuck after about a day and don't decrease at all. Happened twice after reinstalling it.
- (2023-08-07, v:1.0.3) Francesco: disable Notifications
Hello, thanks for this fantastic extention: simple and useful!!!! is there a way to disable the Brave notifications for 10-5-3 min remaining? because for sites where I set a small timer, the notification appears everytime i open the page or refresh it and it's annoying. I prefer use the banner or nothing at all that remind me the time left. thanks!
- (2023-08-04, v:1.0.3) Brianna Johns: How to set time limits
So I might be dumb but how do I set time limits for specific websites? I downloaded the extension but haven't found a way to set the time limit...
- (2023-07-07, v:1.0.3) Arlindo's Way: Not working on Brave
I have just installed the extension but there is no option to set the time limits. I have tried going to the settings for the extension and there is nothing there. I am using Brave Browser, could this be why?
- (2023-07-06, v:1.0.3) Nico van Loggerenberg: Page location lost
Hi, when my time is up, all my open tabs on that site (in this case twitter) turn into the Limit page. When it's a new day, how do I get back to the tabs I was on before? I would like to not lose what I was reading.
- (2023-06-05, v:1.0.3) Antony Pissarides: 1 issue, 1 question
1) Hi I've just installed the plugin but I cannot see a timer on any of the websites I have listed. 2) Is it possible to set separate limits for work and personal Gmail? Thanks
- (2023-04-30, v:1.0.3) Angelina Nguyen: Subdomain
is it possible to only set a limit for a specific website subdomain? E.g. I want to block www.youtube.com, but not music.youtube.com
- (2023-03-09, v:1.0.1) Dianne Ortega: Not working on Gmail and Web WhatsApp
Hi, I have premium Freedom, but I can't install it on my work computer (it does not complete the installation process, probably because I am not using the Admin user), so I started using the Limit extension. However, I am not being able to block WhatsApp web or Gmail. I have added both as 0 minutes and am not using them in an incognito window. Could you help?
- (2023-03-07, v:1.0.1) Jack Pinsky: Functionality
I just started using Limit and it isn't stopping me from using the websites I specified. For example, does every YouTube video count as a different website? The time spent on a website displayed also always says "0 minute" without changing. Would love for this extension to work.
- (2023-02-07, v:1.0.1) Clarissa: The timer doesn't count time spent in websites
The timer doesn't show the minutes spent in a website... It's always on "0 minutes".
- (2023-01-18, v:1.0.1) Ian López: Timer doesnt show up
Hi! I mostly use limit for the timer festure, i have it enabled but it doesn't show up, i've tried everything. Any recomendations?
- (2023-01-06, v:1.0.0) peter womersley: blocked websites Netflix is not nominated but you blocked me after 1 hr viewing!!!!!
blocked websites Netflix is not nominated but you blocked me after 1 hr viewing!!!!!
- (2022-12-30, v:1.0.0) Noah Green: Password feature added yet?
I saw someone posted a suggestion back in 6/2021 for password feature. This would be extremely helpful for parental control. Is it a feature you have added yet? I would literally pay for this feature. Thank you!
- (2022-11-24, v:0.1.7) marcusbrentsmith: Does it work on other devices?
Is there a way to get it work across all devices? (Laptop, iPad and Android phone)
- (2022-10-13, v:0.1.7) Thomas Reynolds: Choose time of day that timers reset
Hi, I'm a night owl who goes to bed around 2am most nights. Currently since the daily timers reset at midnight, my browsing time before bed counts towards my allowance for the next day. It'd be nice to choose what time of day it should reset so that it can reflect when MY day ends :)
- (2022-07-29, v:0.1.7) Evann Lutz: How do I adjust my limits after the initial setup?
Hi, when I initially set up Limit I set a few limits but now I'd like to set more, but I cannot find the interface to figure out how to do so. When I go to look at my Chrome extensions my only option is to disable it entirely, not to actually go in and set more limits.
- (2022-01-20, v:0.1.7) H Yun: it seem not working
I add a website and put the time limit 5 min. The popup display on the right shows me the time I have spent on the site. 7 min passed, but still nothing happen. I still can stay on the site. Anything I do not know about the plug in?
- (2021-08-21, v:0.1.7) Akasha Tsang: More complex time limit schedules/rules
In addition to limiting time limit per session, it would be nice to enable custom time limits by schedules/rules. Examples: On weekend days, time limit per session is... On specified days, time limit per session is... during X-Y hours. After X o'clock, time limit per session is... But cumulative time limit per specified days is...
- (2021-07-12, v:0.1.7) Personal Development: Limit per session, not per day
I'm not sure if you could add this to the current extension or maybe create a new one. I would like to be able to limit my time per session (rather than per day) and then be forced to take a break for a certain amount of time. Let's say I need to check FB to comment on my business page, but I don't want to get sucked in. I could limit my time on FB to 15 min and then that time would reset in X hours. (not the next day) So I could set it for 15 min with a 2hr reset time. This would also be useful in setting up "rewards" or short timed breaks throughout the day. I just need something to tell me my time's up for a session, not the entire day. The first business to come up with this feature is going to do well because I know so many others that want this and NO ONE offers it.
- (2021-06-06, v:0.1.7) henry fisher: Password
Is there a way to set a password for it?
- (2021-05-04, v:0.1.7) Bryan Evans: Limit per hour, not just per day
It'd be great if this could set time limits per hour, not just per day. For example, I want to set a 10-minute limit that resets every hour for Reddit because it can be useful for my job, but I can also spend hours on it if I'm not careful. I want it to kick me off after 10 minutes, but if I need to look something up or post a question later in the day, I want to be able to do that too.
- (2021-04-30, v:0.1.7) Nisuga Jayawardana: Timer display is covering the background behind
Want to adjust transpareny of timer display
- (2021-04-26, v:0.1.7) Yu Shuo Ng: no limit page show after time limit reached
I have exceed the time limit on ebay.co.uk but it didnt redirect to the blank page after but the icon on the setting has turned red. It does redirect on youtube.com, not sure why its not working on ebay.co.uk, can you please help to have a look, much appreciated! Xx P.S.: other than this issue, its an amazing extension, I F**KING LOVE IT!
- (2021-04-17, v:0.1.7) KBSter: Cannot figure out how to set time limits using Chromebook
I cannot find an icon on my chromebook for Limit, so I haven't been able to set my own time limits for various sites. Please advise. Karen
- (2021-04-10, v:0.1.7) XoXkS: Feature Suggestion: Disable Limit for a specific Time
Hi, Sometimes I need to disable the limit, since I actually want to do something useful on the blocked site. After that I usually forget to reenableing it and am back to procastinating. A feature where I could disable the blocking for a set amount of time, e.g. 15 Minutes, and after that it reactivates automatically would be great. In any Case thank you for your great Work!
- (2021-04-09, v:0.1.7) Sujay Mehta: Options / Settings are disabled
I am unable to change the settings for this extension.
- (2021-03-02, v:0.1.7) Ben Davies: Passwords to override the limit
Can there be a feature to set passwords so the extensions cannot be disabled unless a password is presented
- (2021-03-01, v:0.1.7) Antonio C: Perfect, but does not work with web.whatsapp.com
is there a way to make it work for https://web.whatsapp.com/ ?
- (2021-02-10, v:0.1.6) AvisRebecca Geronime: Timer blocking buttons
I am forced to turn the timer off because it gets in the way of buttons on some of the websites I Limit. I wish the timer was over the extension icon instead of on the website screen, or atleast make a quick link in the icon drop down next to "disable limit" and "open settings", so that it's easier to access.
- (2021-02-03, v:0.1.6) Indiana Kernick: Show timer in extension popup
The timer is very obstructive. It would be nice if the timer was shown inside the popup window of the extension. This would avoid covering up the actual website. I could just click the extension icon and see the timer.
- (2020-12-13, v:0.1.6) Hoan Le: Allow us to adjust opacity, size, and location of the timer
It is very distracting on some websites, annoying and it block you from being able to see certain buttons and features imbedded on those sites.
- (2020-11-17, v:0.1.6) Giorgio Tran: Unable to block websites with limits
Hello, a website that I added, typeracer.com, doesn't get blocked even after I reach the limit.
- (2020-09-19, v:0.1.6) Ankit Jain: Feature of automatically logging out of the "blocked" website
Please add feature of either automatically logging out of the "blocked" website or give 10 seconds grace time for manually logging out. E.g. I've put limit on Facebook for 10 mins, as soon as 10 mins gets over it completely shuts me away from Facebook and then I'm unable to logout as well. I don't want to kept logged into account.
- (2020-08-11, v:0.1.6) nobody knows: extension
how do i set a time limit?
- (2020-07-18, v:0.1.6) Fattah Mahmud Nihal: Isn't warning or blocking the site
I put a 10 min limit on www.twitter.com ; but I can still be able to get access to the site. Well what's wrong with this extension? I again found this problem while using www.linkedin.com
- (2020-06-18, v:0.1.6) Sebastian Żebrowski: Option for turning off popup on some websites
currently the popup shows up on every page, I would like to turn in off on specific website
- (2020-06-09, v:0.1.5) David de Caires e Freitas: Typing form input
Hi, if I'm typing something, everything I worked on is lost because the extension kills the page. Please don't destroy form input when triggering the time limit. What ever is unsaved shouldn't be lost, rather don't kill the page in the way you do. Cheers
- (2020-05-20, v:0.1.5) PrincexRaven: 0 minutes limit
I know the purpose of Limit is a site limiter not a site blocker, but it would be really convenient to be able to set my limit to zero. I've been using Limit to limit my time on social media sites that are inducing anxiety attacks, and I've determined with my partner and my therapist that right now with all of the news and the chaos, it would be best to avoid facebook entirely. I don't want to deactivate my account because I still want to be able to use Messenger since that's how I talk to my in-laws and to my sister. It would be really helpful to be able to set my Limit to zero for now! I really think this would help a lot of people, especially with everything going on right now. Thanks for your consideration!
- (2020-05-14, v:0.1.5) Howard Richman: set time limit
I wanted to use this extension for chrome to limit my daughter's youtube time. I installed it and then I chose "specific site" but I do not see where you actually adjust the time. Thank you.
- (2020-04-21, v:0.1.1) Kreiz Blitzer: Limit Suggestion - Hourly Limit
Hi! I've been using this app for less than a week now and I've never been so productive with using my time! Although, it would really be nice to have an option for setting an hourly time limit for specific websites. For example, I may be only allowed to spend 5 minutes each for Facebook and Twitter. This would reset after an hour, allowing me to spend another 5 minutes. I can do this using the daily limit, but it would have to be self-enforced.
- (2020-04-11, v:0.1.1) Ovi Hentea: Extension doesn't suspend access to listed website
I put a 25min limit on www.twitch.tvnyet I am still able to access it even after it's past one hour (as per extension's timer).
- (2020-01-15, v:0.1.1) Fabio Andrés Navarrete Higuera: Undesired track on google.com
The extension seems to track my time on google.com I don't want it to do that. In the list of applications tracked there is no google.com but it's still tracking my time there. Is there anything I can do to avoid this?