Color code individual Chinese characters
Chinese Personalized Colors - A Tone Colorizer Version 0.0.0.3 NOTE: This Chrome extension is in beta. There may be bugs and will likely be performance degradation. Copyright (C) 2017 Andrew Alexander Colorizes Chinese characters based on tone. Currently this extension is very new and relatively untested. Site load times are increased and there are likely to be some bugs. - Supports over 5000 characters - Includes a recent version of the widely used CEDICT Chinese English dictionary.
- (2020-03-06) Roman Bolshakov: Well, it doesn't work at all! So, I guess, I can't rate it better at this moment.
- (2018-03-28) Geza Kovacs: Great idea, note that this seems to assign the wrong tone colors for a ton of words - for example, 为什么 is colored orange orange red whereas it should be wei4shen2me5 (blue orange grey). It's also slow as molasses, to the point of being unusable on large pages. Hope there's not some O(n) algorithm running over the entire dictionary for every character or something. I wonder if maybe a different way could be used to indicate the tone color rather than coloring the whole thing - maybe put a colored underline under the word or so. Right now it makes reading large texts quite painful for the eyes.
- (2018-02-19) Logan Bobb: I love that this exists, was exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately many of the tones are displayed incorrectly at a rate that is too frequent for me to recommend this app. I understand that context matters a lot, but some tones are incorrect within the word that they are part of. For instance 机场 (ji1 chang3) will display as (ji1 chang2). The rate of error is fairly high and a new Chinese speaker could end up with some serious tone problems if they use this software (and tones are hard enough as is). Still giving 3 stars because it would be quite an undertaking to fix all of these issues, and it's still super cool that this exists at all. Will be using ZhongWen Chinese Popup Dictionary until this receives some updates. It's a much slower way to check tones, but very accurate which is nice. Hoping the problems are addressed so that I can use this all the time! Would be very convenient.
- (2017-12-12) Andrew Alexander: I made it, so I think it's pretty awesome.
- (2017-12-12) Nicholas Ryan Scroggs: I have always loved the color character feature in Pleco. Tones are still one of the trickiest features of Chinese for me. This extension allows me to confidently read characters that I wold have hesitated on before. Can't wait for it to come out of beta.
- (2018-03-05, v:0.0.0.3) Evan Battaglia: Doesn't seem to work at all
Awesome idea but doesn't seem to work for me. I install, reload my browser, go to Baidu and nothing is colored like in the screenshot. Have there been breaking changes to Chrome or is there something else I need to do to set up?