Allows one to turn the text in academic papers to speech. Can be done by selecting a section (Abstract, Introduction etc.) or…
- (2023-05-24) Ran Ro: "read aloud" extension has google microsoft voices available, is it not possible to have those:? amazon is best imo since it scales up very well.
- (2022-11-09) P Richi: Sorry after watching the tutorial, downloaded extension, this doesnt work on my Windows 10 at all. Glad it works for others, but looks like i'll need to find another suitable app.
- (2022-04-23) Marjorie Signer: Works exactly as advertised on academic PDFs. Neat program, definitely worth $2! Thanks!
- (2022-03-30) Kawaii_Karma: Awful. This doesn't actually work. The "journal" option is completely irrelevant and you will not be able to have any paper read to you. Wasted my time, time I could've used reading it on my own. DO NOT FALL FOR IT. (In resonse to the so called dev, of course I watched the simple tutorial. Your product is just trash. Especially since it has some irrelevant option drop down that means you can't read academic papers that seemingly aren't "scientific". If you can't make software that works on even Windows, don't publish a low quality software.)
- (2021-05-18) Becca Nicholls: Thank you for this app, I have been using this reader for months to read a lot of papers and work and it has made it so much easier for me to take in information, especially with my work and lifestyle, so I can listen to papers while getting other work done, brilliant.
- (2020-12-04) Pieter Rossouw: You've saved my dissertation... thank you!
- (2020-10-10) Ka Str: Does not work with my journals :( Can you help me? Maybe add journals (or even an option to try to read any kind of text)?
- (2019-09-11) Adi: Very useful.
- (2019-09-10) Ellie White: Easy to use. Very useful for my research.
- (2022-01-12, v:1.0) Sabine Marei J.: Extension does absolutely nothing
I really like the idea of your extension but in my case, it doesn't do anything at all. Neither with choosing a section from the pull-down menu, nor with enabling "read highlighted", then highlight some text, then clicking play. I've found that, regardless of audio devices, there is absolutely no audio output by Chrome itself (while e.g. YouTube and any other page with audio output works fine). I've tried local PDFs, PDFs from online sources and even PDFs from a few of the 5 journals to select from (I assume those are just presets tailored to those journals' particular layouts but in no way necessary for the TTS output to work). My Chrome is version 96.0.4664.110 (64 Bit) on Windows 10. If you have any idea what could help, I'd be glad to give it another go and recommend/advertise it. I assume that, for now, this is just a hobby project for you grown from a tool for personal use but I'm sure there's actually quite a market out there for TTS for academic papers, since there are so many use cases for TTS and so many people use it while commuting or jogging or doing chores or because they have impaired vision... and while speech synthesis, intonation etc. are quite acceptable and widely available as a basis for all kinds of projects, just about every piece of software employing TTS is useless for academic papers simply because every last letter of every reference and URL will be read. Sorry for the rant, I'd really like your extension to work!
- (2021-06-01, v:1.0) Peter Beerbower: Reader stops after a few dozen words
I'm attempting to read PDFs on my HP laptop with your extension; I've found the reader to stop after a few dozen words. Do you know if there is anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!
- (2021-05-18, v:1.0) Becca Nicholls: Just stops
Thank you for this app, I have been using this reader for months to read a lot of papers and work (Thank you for your help previously) and makes it a lot easier for me to take in information, especially with my work and lifestyle. But in the past few weeks it just stops, it gets to about 40 words and stops reading for no reason, it used to read thousands without problems. Any idea on the cause or a fix? this happens on any device or computer I use it on now.
- (2021-05-12, v:1.0) Jess Perry: Types of journals
Hi, is it only the specific journals stated (Nature, Cells, Science etc) that you can use to listen to articles? I haven't been able to get the extension to work yet and wondered if it is because of my area (Psychology) - so those journals are not relevant unfortunately. Great extension!
- (2021-04-10, v:1.0) Kelly Rouva: problem with installation
hello i cannot install the app paper to audio
- (2021-02-25, v:1.0) Filipe Rocha: App no longer available
Hi! I was trying to use paper to speech App. It looked very promising... However, when I tried to install the App, it says it is no longer available. Are you planning to launch the App again? Thank you,
- (2021-02-01, v:1.0) Becca Nicholls: Can this read papers from other journals that aren't named?
I manage to read many papers from various journals if I use the highlighted option but I find that sometimes it just doesn't read the text, is there are fix or explanation for this? many thanks
- (2021-01-28, v:1.0) Tal Ben-Ezra: Not working at all
same problem as mandy - nothing works except the pop up window - no option to click anything and i have refreshed my browser
- (2020-10-06, v:1.0) Mandy Mountain: Not working
No part of this app is working at all except that the pop up window appears when I click on the icon on my browser. It does not speak, the buttons do not react, nothing. Please help.
- (2020-10-04, v:1.0) Andrea Salinas: Features Not Working
All the female voices in english are not working, they all sound like the default male voice