Change bookmark favicon
From the same developer of “bookmark favicon changer” for Firefox and Seamonkey. Important! - You can change favicon of file URLs only if you enable the option "allow access to file URLs" at the browser extensions page (chrome://extensions) (see screenshot). Description. ============ Change your bookmark favicon by open the extension’s options page. Right click at your bookmark; the popup menu with option "Change Favicon", "Reset Favicon", "Remove Favicon" and "Export Favicon" will appear. You can use any image file or any image URL that browser support as a favicon. Support every size of image file. There is no different in disk space requirement between big and small image size. Every image will be resized and changed to 16x16 pixels png files and saved. After changing favicon, there is no need for that favicon file to exist again. After changing favicon, you can reset it back or remove it and use the default one. Support bookmark favicon export. No matter what it is the original favicon or changed favicon. Tab icon changer - Bookmark favicon changer can assign you icon to tab icon for the whole domain or subdomain. “Bookmark Favicon Changer” can do more things such as “simple bookmark management”, “create bookmark shortcut”, “auto hide bookmark bar name”, “import and export database” etc. Limitation ========== Unlike Firefox, Chrome do not support right click on bookmark bar. You need to open extension’s options page to change favicon. Bookmarks that have the same URL will have the same favicon. You can change favicon only on bookmark that has http, https or file protocol. This limitation comes from Chrome permission for security reason. You need “Bookmark Favicon Changer” to be active to protect your custom favicon. You can’t change favicon and uninstall the extension; your custom favicon will turn back.
- (2021-07-07) Werner Schott: Version 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit). Didn't work at all. Followed instructions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niab0HcDCQw
- (2021-06-14) Thibault Messemacre: Really powerful tool, not always super straightforward but still works a charm
- (2021-04-26) Alan DJIGSTAR: ничего не работает и ничего непонятно
- (2021-02-23) Damien Kettler: Works perfectly even in Vivaldi Browser.
- (2021-02-20) Haodong Du: Does not work bookmarklet. The shortcut thing seems like a good idea. But the popup is blocked by Chrome, and there is no way to override that.
- (2021-02-11) J Z: Works as advertised but you cannot use it for Folders. Which is what I wanted it for. I am so sick of those yellow folders. I will have to find an extension for that. It's still cool to change your icons though.
- (2021-01-31) Yannick le Restif: The UX is really very bad, but that kind of wouldn't matter if it worked... but for me it didn't. Even the "custom bookmark" (the one that redirects to the actual bookmark) didn't work. The bookmark icon is just not changed at all. The extension worked for a few minutes when I tried from the "bookmark favicon" of the options page... until I clicked the bookmark, which made the icon revert. PS. I'm happy to change my review if there is something I missed.
- (2020-10-31) Jamin Peng: awesome! thanks.
- (2020-09-15) Alexis McDonald: The quality of favicons are always so low, and pixelated. Do yourself a favor, and download the other favicon changer extension chrome has to offer (called "favicon changer"). I WILL say that my issue with that one is that for some reason, on one specific bookmark, clicking on its favicon makes the image/favicon disappear from the bookmark and tab- but then clicking again refreshes and restores it. It's a bit annoying, but at least your favicons look somewhat more crisp all the time, and one extra click is hardly as troublesome as constantly having pixelated icons.
- (2020-09-11) Edgar R.: Waste of time! It doesn't work! I followed all the steps and when I clic the icon, it reverts to the original one.
- (2020-07-16) 王康: 感谢你制作了这个应用
- (2020-06-23) mayre: Works just like it's supposed to! No problems on my chromebook :)
- (2020-02-25) Danilо: Add the possibility to change folder icons
- (2020-01-20) Taylor Wingfield: As a proponent of using the bookmark bar with nothing but Favicons without names or descriptions, This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!
- (2019-12-09) mirai: idk why this is 1 star it works it changes the icon easily it does what it says
- (2019-11-08) Haran G: Does the job. Sorted!
- (2019-07-09) Donal Goggin: I got this to add a favicon to a bookmarklet but the option is greyed out and doesn't provide a reason why. None of these extensions I've tried seem to be able to do it, so I suspect it's an issue with chrome not allowing it, but at the very least an error or info message should have been shown.
- (2019-06-17) Thea Nguyen: Still work & remember all my settings after re-installing Windows & Chrome! No bugs so far.
- (2019-06-04) Sankalp Bohra: Poor UI with great functionality.
- (2019-05-11) 赵杰: 如果，支持中文就太好了。
- (2019-02-28) Владимир Гусев: Very nice )
- (2019-02-25) Micah Mattei: Seemed tricky to use at first but it worked well! Make sure you have the right kind of picture in mind, nothing too elaborate
- (2018-10-20) Excellent ! Why didn't i find this extension early ?
- (2018-10-18) Emil Atanasov: good
- (2018-06-26) Sam Burns: Not sure what others have against it in order to rate it so low, but I can confirm it appears to be working flawlessly on the latest version of Chrome as of June 26th, 2018 (Windows 10 x64 v1803). Thank you to the developer of this valued extension. As a former Firefox user, 'Bookmark Favicon Changer' was on my list of essential addons. Cheers :-)
- (2018-06-22) Jordan Kolbaba: Doesn't work.
- (2018-06-11) Keivan Shalileh: It works very well. You just need a PNG file and you can easily change the icon for those iconless pages. I have many pages in my bookmarks bar, so this will help me avoid putting names for them and just find them by the icon.
- (2018-06-05) almightytallestred: works fine for me (Windows 8 + latest Chrome version)
- (2018-05-01) Chuck Hildebrandt: I used to use this for years and it worked great, but now it's terrible. It took me 19 hours to get favicons for 90% of my bookmarks, until it crapped out on me. I went to save the favicon database and that didn't. It said i needed at least version 2.00. I have version 2.21. It also kicked me off my VPN, which is a huge no-no. I have favicons now, but at some point Chrome will wipe them all out when i close it out and i will be back at square one. It sucks because, like I say, it worked great for years. And now it doesn't work well at all. And the thing has not been supported in four years. YMMV, buy caveat emptor on this.
- (2018-03-21) Christine Diamond: Doesn't do what I wanted. I wanted to be able to change the folder icon (on a folder of bookmarks on my Chrome Bookmarks bar) to a favicon, instead.
- (2018-03-08) Brandon Justice: Excellent, simple and intuitive. Works as advertised, no issues getting a favicon changed my first go around. To Developer: Only issue I had was the amount of time that lapses when I go to exit the tab from the settings (any w/ extension) page(s). I will try to change network error lapse time to 0 or a few seconds and see if that doesn't help it but I will update you either way. Update: Reset network error time lapse down to 1 second and still having same issue of long delay (I counted 10 seconds) on tab exit. Please advise when you can. Thanks!
- (2018-02-11) L Clarke: Very non-intuitive; "Help" feature should be renamed "Help - we don't speak English!" Big fail!
- (2018-02-05) Daniel Saner: Works as advertised! Great to get some visual sense into your bookmarks toolbar. I use this with the Vivaldi browser, and it works fine. Needs to be used in quite a roundabout way: changing icons is only possible from the extension's settings page, it opens a pop-up to perform the change, which seems to not work and have to be closed manually, but ends up working, although showing the new icon in the main browser window requires re-opening it. But we all know that all of these problems are due to Chrome's ridiculously bad and inadequate extensions structure. The problems of this extension are all Google's faults, and my thanks are to the developer for finding and implementing the ugly hacks required to still make it work :)
- (2018-01-17) Brilliant! I had all sorts of weird and non-applicable favicons in my Bookmarks, and this thing sorted them out quicksmart. Thank you!!!!!
- (2018-01-04) Peter Schaefer: I use it to Reset Favicons. I have really many bookmarks and syncronize them across machines and browsers with Xmarks. Unfortunately it happens that they get corrupted. Then the safest way is completely downloading them from Xmarks. But after that all favicons are gone. So, I need a tool like the Favicon Changer. But instead of going manually to each folder, mark all resettable, request reset for them and confirm this, there should be a way to recursively scroll through all bookmark folders and reset all resettable, or even better all blank ones which are resettable. DEAR DEVELOPER, PLEASE DO US A FAVOR!
- (2017-12-22) Jerry Viviano: Used the Reset Favicons tool to fix my screwed up Favicons. I've had this problem for months and hadn't found a way to fix it. With Bookmark Favicon Changer, it was a 5 minute job! Love it!
- (2017-12-05) John Millington: Using a chrome browser and it works fine. The previous two i tried didn't. Really, really, useful when you've got fifty or more icons in the bookmarks bar. Thank you for this whoever you are.
- (2017-11-22) Victor Simon: When restore|reset favicons, for most sites: Fail - Unexpected URL on tab. Please contact extension developer.
- (2017-11-14) Alan Ioth: Always installs default favicon. Selected icon image file is never used. Can only change bookmark favicon if you visit website - no editing option in right-click menu. Useless.
- (2017-11-10) George: Absolutely does it's job. Thanks!
- (2021-04-10, v:2.21) João Vitor Brandão: Favicon size
Please, change the favicon size from 16x16 to 32x32, or let the user choose the size. 16x16 makes the favicon weird
- (2021-02-10, v:2.21) Marco Righi: Errow with google URL
Loading favicon from "https://drive.google.com/favicon.ico" Serous internal error - Error on generating dataURL page at "https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive". Please contact extension developer. Fail - Popup window was closed. Terminate all residual jobs. OS info pacman -Qs chromium local/chromium 88.0.4324.150-1 A web browser built for speed, simplicity, and security local/qt5-webengine 5.15.2-5 (qt qt5) Provides support for web applications using the Chromium browser project CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4820K (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1201/1200/3900 MHz Kernel: 5.10.13-2-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 12h 17m Mem: 10458.5/32056.4 MiB (32.6%) Storage: 2.84 TiB (73.3% used) Procs: 418 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.00
- (2021-01-24, v:2.21) Petitcoeured: Salut a suggestion for a dossier
Please.. 1) Try everything to force chrome to have folders icons changed, that default yellow colour's ugly (( 2) Allow direct right click on bookmark tab for changing icons (( Posted by Noone - 11 févr. 2019 Répondre | Je passer par ici pour écrire la même suggestion +1 2021 24janvier j'ai aussi trouver cette adresse email [email protected] Posted by Petitcoeured - il y a une minute J'ai fais un copier/coller, mais je suppose que vous aurez compris, bonne journée !
- (2020-10-02, v:2.21) Terry Bettis: Export Favicon Button
Where does it save the favicon when clicking "Export Favicon"?
- (2020-07-05, v:2.21) Cackweed: 'Shortcut' bookmark icon not working
When I try to use the 'shortcut technique' to create a bookmark with custom favicon, the bookmark is created but icon is the default one, not the custom icon I chose. I have tried both .jpg and .ico files but neither work. Is there something I'm missing?
- (2020-04-29, v:2.21) Roberto Nuno: Plans on porting this over to the Microsoft Extension store for Edge Chromium?
I'm looking for this exact ability but currently there are no favicon changers on Edge Chromium. I'm aware that Edge can install extensions from other stores, but I'd be interested in sticking with the Microsoft store for now if possible. Any plans on porting your extension? I'd happily donate.
- (2020-03-20, v:2.21) angel dark: When can I update it?
I am an edge user from China. Want to remove all the icons of favorites, out of habit. But now you can't use this device, so I'd like to ask you to update it. It would be great if it could be updated in the near future.
- (2020-02-12, v:2.21) Edwin Rivera: NO HELP MENU
After i change the favicon I get a small second window on chrome: Bookmark Favicon Changer Close this window to abort 0% Then error log: cannot confirm changing of bookmark favicon at "https://
- (2019-10-01, v:2.21) Jaroslaw Istok: window crashes
I was so happy to have found this, I don't knw why wit the time icons go lost, I have 7 tsd bookmarks :) But in first few folders I get an alert in log: Serous internal error - Error on generating dataURL page at "http://infolinks.com/". Please contact extension developer. Fail - Unexpected URL on tab. Please contact extension developer. Fail - Popup window was closed. Terminate all residual jobs. What can I do?
- (2019-05-27, v:2.21) Peter Schaefer: Reset all bookmarks with empty favicon
Thank you, Sonthakit Leelahanon! Your extension is important to me as I have tons of bookmarks and several times needed them to be restored, which works but does not cover the favicons. So I never actually set custom favicons and only restore favicons. Doing it manually folder by folder is too much of manual work, so I use More > Reset all non-custom favicons. I choose a 2 seconds time-out so it would not run too long. But some URLs fail because of too a low timeout value or because they are down right now. This time also the entire process broke, because my ad blocker blocked a page (see the error messages below). So I would like to execute an additional option in the More menu: Reset all bookmarks with empty favicon. After fixing the blocked link this would not restore everything again, but more or less resume the broken run. When it then ended normally, I would set up the timeout value to 10 seconds and run Reset all bookmarks with empty favicon again one or two days later to catch the timeout cases. I would do the same from time to time when I added bookmarks on another device and the new bookmarks get synchronized to this Chrome instance by Google, but without the favicons. "Serous internal error - Error on generating dataURL page at ... Fail - Unexpected URL on tab. Please contact extension developer. Time error at ... Fail - Popup window was closed. Terminate all residual jobs."
- (2019-04-09, v:2.21) Dave Hagger: hi there, question on bookmarks
Hi there, really like your extension. My question is there an option to just change the icon of the bookmark, but not the tab - I find chrome bookmark icons really tacky but they are useful once they become tabs. Thanks
- (2019-02-11, v:2.21) Noone: Please..
1) Try everything to force chrome to have folders icons changed, that default yellow colour's ugly (( 2) Allow direct right click on bookmark tab for changing icons ((
- (2018-12-29, v:2.21) 會田憲一郎: Bookmark Favicon Changer
- (2018-10-17, v:2.21) Sir Loin Of Beef: Favicon snc across devices
This works as described for a single computer setup. It does not appear to sync the information across devices using Chrome though?
- (2018-08-22, v:2.21) jckane7: It can read and change all my data?
When I tried to download this extension I was prompted with this warning "It can: Read and change all your data on the websites you visit". Isn't that a security concern for me?
- (2018-07-24, v:2.21) S Franco: Cannot change Favicon Error
Team, I am trying to change various Google icons to unique icons, e.g.: Change favicon at "https://goo.gl/" Do not have permission on offline mode for page "https://goo.gl/". Try online mode... Fail - Browser inhibits modification of this page due to security. It appears that Favicon Changer wants to change the ORIGINAL Favicon of the web page, ie. change the "https://goo.gl/" page?? Please advise what I am doing wrong using Options - selecting the bookmark for which to change the icon, right-click "Change Favicon" -> above errors... Thanks!
- (2018-07-05, v:2.21) Pete Phillips: error
i get this error: Cannot confirm changing of bookmark favicon at "https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d etc." any idea?