A powerful media player built on top of the video.js project with HTTP Live Streaming (HSL), speed control, and playlist support
"Media Player" is a browser extension to play music and video files either locally or from online sources. This project aims to bring VLC like media playing experience by using native HTML5 technology. The add-on is built on top of the well-known "video.js" project by applying a few custom plug-ins to enhance the user experience. This player supports media boosting, speed control, playlist media selection, fullwidth-progress bar, HTTP-streaming (M3U8), and wave surfer visual for audio files. You can start watching an offline video file by drag and drop the video file into the player or by pressing the big play button. To have the player load subtitle as well, make sure to drop both video and subtitle files together (The dropped subtitle should have the same name as the file and needs to be in SRT or VTT format). Also, you can add a subtitle file later using the "+CC" button. This button appears when there is no subtitle found for the current track. You can use your keyboard to control the following playback options: 1. "F" key: This will toggle the fullscreen mode on and off 2. "Space" key: This will toggle the playing state of the player 3. "Key Up" and "key Down": These keys can be used to increase or decrease volume. 4. "Key Left" and "Key Right": These keys can be used to seek backward and forward for 10 seconds. 5. "U" key: Shuffle playlist 6. "R" key: Toggle repeat, repeat one, and no-repeat 7. "S" key: Take s screenshot 8. "B" key: Boost volume (2x or 200%) This extension also supports media keys even if the player is not focused. Additionally, the mouse wheel can also be used to increase or decrease the volume. Change Log: 0.1.2: 1. Media Player now supports history (it will save the current track position and retrieves it after a restart) 2. Media player now supports global keyboard shortcuts for toggle pause and play state, move to the previous track and move to the next track 0.1.3: 1. Better playlist! 0.1.4: 1. For audio tracks, a seek-able wave-surfer is replaced the old poster image 2. playback rate is now adjustable. 0.1.7: 1. Supports live stream (m3u8) 2. Supports folder drop and recursive media file search 0.2.3 1. Partial support for MKV video container is added
- (2021-09-08) Christopher Carter: Plays well, but the navigation controls become invisible after changing tracks in the playlist so it's hard to start the next track. Also, we need the option to start tracks from the beginning.
- (2021-09-04) Thiago Nunes: Tried to play a video but audio doesn't work. If I play on local apps the audio works
- (2021-08-29) Devnew Saha: Can you add you add the functionality to open M4B files?
- (2021-08-22) Kate Eruien: Worked perfectly until yesterday when it just keeps giving me the message: "No compatible source was found for this media." I thought I found the perfect media player that can cast even the subtitles on TV. But sadly, all good things come to an end.
- (2021-08-18) Shafina Mohamed Salleh: Love it! This enables one to screenshare a local video via video conferencing such as Google Meet. The playback was smooth on the participant end too (tested by using my own account on another device)
- (2021-08-11) Muhammad Iqbal: This is actually the best media player for Chromium OS but not much people know.
- (2021-07-29) Krunal Dodiya: can i add any remote url pragmatically ? like i am a developer and creating a streaming app, now i don't want to create my own mediaplayer to play any media, instead i want to open that link in your extension, my application is in React, typescript, thanks
- (2021-07-20) Yasin Arafat: Works Fantastic. Consider these two features: 01. Screenshot 02. Boost Volume
- (2021-07-15) ahmed abdelrahman: best player for chromos
- (2021-07-01) cir yxam: can not play [ is not recognising ] MKV video files, can not play [ is not recognising ] MPV video files, MKV format [ container ] is most used video extension together with MP4 & MOV chromebook itself can play MKV & MOV files well. can play MP4 container, as result, it can play 1 of 3 file formats, very BAD extension [ RUBBISH ] !!!
- (2021-06-05) Ahmed Ghareeb: Nice Player, Could you add more playback speed like increase by 5 or 10 UP or Down because 0.75 is slow and 1.25 also fast to catch Regards
- (2021-06-01) anas: Needs more speed options.
- (2021-05-28) Klaus Forster: One that workes for heavens sake on CloudReady OS. Thanks!
- (2021-05-18) lory sherd: excellent!!
- (2021-03-14) HyperDuck1: Works Fantastic
- (2021-03-07) anas: VLC lags when changing speed so I'm using this instead and it's pretty cool. Only thing I hate about is speed goes from x2 to x5, would love if there were more options.
- (2021-01-23) Prof. Alin Gavril: This is VERY useful for presentations on Google Meet ! You can use it to play local files to your Google Meet participants.
- (2020-12-28) harold senig: I really like it easy to understand.
- (2020-10-01) Chris Eldridge: Description says there is a speed control. This is not correct. Files that are dragged and dropped into the extension page won't work, and there is no "big play button" to press.
- (2020-08-18) v.aruna Chalam: simple and very nice
- (2020-07-25) Sikay Chung: Lightweight and has everything I need, especially speed playing the local files in Chromebook.
- (2020-07-21) Kunal Chaudhari: Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to change the playback speed of my videos and had to search for an hour till i found one app that could do it. Thanks....
- (2020-07-16) Ken Gachoki Njuguna: Useless.
- (2020-03-31) Darryn van der merwe: kak
- (2019-10-06) obglobgablob: ""Media Player" is a browser extension to play music and video files either locally or from an online source." Except that it doesn't let me play local files. It just tries to download them again and then open them in VLC player. If all it was going to do was play local files using another media player I already have then I would have just used that media player in the first place. I'm trying to play them in Chrome so I can cast them and it isn't doing it. Uninstalling and not wasting anymore time with this plugin.
- (2019-09-06) Joel Royce: For older chromebooks this app is awesome media player. Even for new ones this will give good compitition to other since it is so light weight and has all the necessary functions. The volume percentage is not showing in full screen mode using arrow keys as it is showing in window mode. Please fix it.
- (2018-12-09) Gamer HD: Хороший плеер, ещё бы сам встраивался в страницу, чтоб не перетаскивать в него треки. Поддержка flac, ogg, opus, m4a - всё, что мне надо)))
- (2018-11-19) Milan Stojanovic: doesent work
- (2018-08-25) Alex Godbout: useless
- (2018-08-24) saundra pandian: good app.
- (2018-04-04) Htet Aung Khant: grate
- (2018-02-17) Nelson Silva: Yes...
- (2018-01-25) Gary How: Lightweight and very useful as a simple media player.
- (2018-01-21) Meghal Pandya: Tried to use it as a media player to stream mp3 files from my hard disk to Chromecast audio. I cannot add a folder, cannot create a playlist, cannot shuffle music and cannot cast it to Chromecast. What a gyp!
- (2018-01-12) Kemosabe 88: bely bely goood oo
- (2018-06-11, v:0.1.4) David Null: subtitles