Provides a button at the top-right of Chrome that links to your home page. Also lets you default new tabs to the Apps view.
This extension will always be free and will never have ads. Once installed, a home button will appear at the top right of Chrome that initially redirects your current tab to the list of your most used sites. Right-click the button and choose Options to edit the home-page url, the icon, and the new-tab behaviour. You can hide the official home button at top left via: Chrome Settings > Show home button > Disabled. This extension only uses the tabs permission, so when you install, it will say that the extension can: "Read your browsing history". This extension never monitors your activity. It only redirects your tabs when requested. The source code is very simple and is posted online, so you can inspect it for yourself. In response to Chrome's Feb 2014 removal of the flag that let you default your new tab to the Apps view, I've added a checkbox that lets you default the new tab to the Apps view. In Dec 2019 the new-tab-to-apps stopped working, so I updated the extension with a fix. At that time I also added Federico's code to support multiple urls. And I acted on Darren's suggestion to make the default url "about:newtab", and to offer a white button for the dark theme. http://holtstrom.com/michael/blog/post/412/Home-Button-At-Top-Right-Chrome-Extension.html
- (2022-09-07) Edgar: This button works great on my other computers but does not work on my Windows 8.1 Lenevo laptop.
- (2020-02-07) Blake: Works! I needed a "second" home button for a second frequently used site, and this does the job. Suggestion/Feature request: People have greater confidence in the overall integrity of open source software, and these days github is the most common way to preserve and grant public access to open source projects. Conversely, a portion of people are justifiably wary of closed source browser extensions with sensitive permissions. If this extension were added to github, Its popularity (number of users) and long term stability would likely further increase. The author has stated that the code is short and simple and has posted the code elsewhere (made it sortof open source). For someone familiar with the github platform, adding this extension to github might be an easy beneficial step.
- (2019-01-10) Thomas von der Elbe: Unfortunately a middle click doesn't work. On the original home button it does work.
- (2018-10-07) As much as I love this app, I am only using the Home Button to launch a new tab by pressing the middle mouse button on it. Well, with this Home Button, nothing happens when doing so.
- (2018-08-20) Shatari Ishatar: This should be the default.
- (2018-03-04) Rob Damiani: works great. does exactly as described.
- (2018-01-13) xfnw: What is the point of this? now i have 2 home buttons :)
- (2017-12-10) Alex Musician: Everything's great! Thanks!
- (2017-10-30) Tor Swenson: thank you for creating this
- (2017-08-17) Darren Z: Ridiculous that we even need an extension like this -- why can't Google simply unlock the left-hand icons and let us put them where we want? -- but this seems to do the job. Set the address to "about:newtab" if you want it to show your most-used sites. A choice of icons would be nice, too, since the default icon all but disappears against a dark theme.
- (2017-06-19) Mariusz B.: You cannot click this button by the scroll and open new web page. Stupid.
- (2017-04-22) Alen Rissling: Can we have a choice of icons? Would prefer to have slightly wider icon instead.
- (2017-03-05) Alex Wildner: dont miss it
- (2016-11-21) Initaksa Mag: ★★★★
- (2016-09-04) Does what it says
- (2016-06-03) ВАСЯ пупкин: Добавьте возможность смены фавикона на фавикон сайта и возможность выбора открывать в текущей и в новой вкладке. Спасибо.
- (2016-04-24) Bakar Eusoff: Perfect for me coz so used to have the home button... Thanks...
- (2015-12-18) Linux Mangaka: It's nice to have this icon with download icon & decorate it like firefox. But the ram consume is too absurd.
- (2015-02-28) Er tut das was er soll. :)
- (2014-02-21) William: It works- but slowed my ChromeBook down, completely!
- (2013-04-05) Aseya Darvishi: Erg handig.
- (2023-10-30, v:1.6) Dennis Piet: Local webpage as homepage not working anymore
Since a few weeks my Home Button at the top right does not work anymore. I found out this is because I have set file:///D:/Users/Dennis/Documents/favoriet/favoriet.html as my homepage. This works fine with Chrome home button on the left, but not anymore with your extension. If I change the homepage to any online webpage, it starts working again. Any idea how to fix this?
- (2023-10-12, v:1.6) Richard Murphy: Problem with use on Chrome
The extension works great on Edge but when added to Chrome, I get the following: chrome-extension://mocklpfdimiadpbgamlgehpgpodggahe/r/r.htm. Even though I set the option to about:newtab as instructed. Any suggestions? Thank You
- (2023-08-10, v:1.6) Ya Boi: white screen
on the Vivaldi browser it goes to the start page fine however the background is completely white which isn't to much of an issue all the speed dial buttons are there it's just a bit of a flash bang when working at night. wanted to let you know that it doesn't use the browsers theme. thanks
- (2022-04-23, v:1.6) Joseph Runions: Hey Hi Michael..
Hoping you can update this extension. Works perfectly in swiron a chrome browser v74.0.3850 i decided to update to latest browser version. Only addon not working in my update kinda luv need this working lol. I click to bring up my speedial page about:newtab says blocked but when i reload page bam there is my speed dial page. Same thing on latest normal google chrome browser. Can you please try and fix, i like to fine tune my browsers and your extension is part of that LOL. Any chance you can offer a fix BTW i use the white icon on black them option too. Thanks so much for listening to folks!
- (2022-01-12, v:1.6) Peter Laufernicki: Middle Mouse For New Tab
Would you be able to enable the capability to middle mouse click the button to open the homepage in a new tab? Thanks!
- (2016-08-01, v:1.5) Partnership Offer
Hello! I represent the company EXT.GURU. I have reviewed your extension, and I would like to invite you to work with our company. I have analyzed, that your extension "Home Button At Top Right" can bring you a guaranteed high income. You can get the maximum profit with our automatic service for monetizing browser extensions, while our advertising is not annoying or malicious, and does not prevent the extension of functionality. Our system optimizes traffic from around the world. We provide coordination of all the nuances and suggestions of webmasters. Payments are carried out upon request during one hour at a convenient system to you. We would also like to note that our system does not interfere with other systems of monetization, you can plug in our program as an additional method to generate an income. If you have any other extensions, we can discuss. We look forward to collaborating. Sincerely EXT.GURU team. Contacts ICQ: 654784658 Jabber: [email protected] Skype: extguru [email protected]
- (2015-01-04, v:1.5) STUPID NETWORK ERROR
I am trying to add the Home Button to my browser, but I keep getting this STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID network error message, even with the best D/L speeds.
- (2014-09-17, v:1.5) Gwynne Capps: Google Home Button
Why not have the home button on the left? It makes better sense and easy.