Tired of reading? Select text you want to read and listen to it. SpeakIt converts text into speech so you no longer need to read.
SpeakIt! is free text to speech extension that reads selected text using TTS technology with language auto-detection. It can read text in more than 50 languages. Usage: - First select the text you want it to read. - Then click the icon to start listening. - When it is ready to read, the number of sentences is shown on the icon. - To stop listening at any time click pause NOTE: - After installation you may need to restart Chrome so SpeakIt can function correctly - This extension uses Google text-to-speech service. Please visit http://goo.gl/OOVgp to see if it is accessible to you. ChangeLog: New in v 0.2.98: - Small bug fixes - Fixed update bug New in v 0.2.4: - Switched to Chrome lang detect API due to Google translate API has been deprecated (SpeakIt now detect input language by language of whole page not only selected text :( :( ) - Improved how SpeakIt! splits sentences, now it stops on right places and pronunciation is much better. - Added internationalization support. SpeakIt! is now localized on 12 languages. - Fixed some small bugs New in v 0.2.3: - Implemented new Chrome TTS API - Added offline (native) TTS support - Added feature to add and configure new TTS engines/voices - Fixed some bugs New in v 0.2.2: - Added keyboard shortcut support - Added context menu support - Added new features in options page - Fixed some bugs New in v 0.2.1: - Added Speech Input feature ( Speech to Text ) enable from options - Changed User Graphical Interface, SpeakIt now use Zen audio player which i hope you will like it ;) - Fixed lot of bugs that caused previous version of SpeakIt to end in middle of reading - Added Options feature - Added donations button ( can be hidden from options menu ) Any comments, suggestions and critics are welcomed you can contact me on twitter @SkechBoy If you like the extension please rate it.
- (2023-02-28) Jared Van de Ligt: i used this extension in school in grade 11 and 12 and i had lots of good memories with it, i also sometimes put random text in the speakit options, just so it said random things, this probably the best text to speech extension, it also helped in school when I had to read a website while studying or doing school work that required reading, it also help me with proof reading a google docs document, then if i heard the text to speech voice say it wrong, or say an extra word, then i fixed the spelling or extra word error, but now it sadly doesn't seem to work on google docs, it just said random numbers, but not what was in my document
- (2023-02-22) RJ Smith: One of the worst ones ever created. when it dose work. 1 out of 99% of the time it good. But for the 99% of the time it fails or it read or reads everything like this. The plus plus of the plus plus is plus plus plus plus plus plus and so the plus plus is plus plus and plus plus plus plus plus plus......... What a useless thing someone has created. It could not even read this post. Do not bother wasting your time in using this.
- (2023-02-01) Bobak Tadjalli: After I installed the extension, it redirected me to its settings page and the point that made me to put 1-star raring is that it was only using my computer's TTS (Windows 10 Pro) and not more as shown in the screenshots.
- (2023-01-04) Wouter k: Keeps rerouting me to a blocked address of sketchboy.com
- (2022-12-17) Murphian: can not use
- (2022-11-07) Deisire Nagorski: Tem que melhorar muito, num dia funciona no outro não, não identifica o inglês no meio do português, não faz as pontuações direito e já tem tecnologia para identificar melhor as palavras hoje em dia. Aprendam com o @voice.
- (2022-05-03) Sorban: Il fonctionne mais seulement pour une petite phrase de 3 ligne puis il s'arrête d'un coup. Je ne vais pas rechercher tout les 3 ligne pour qu'elle parle le texte entier !
- (2021-11-03) Csaba: Jobb mint a Multivox !
- (2021-10-18) Boris Enríquez: excelente
- (2021-09-25) Sergey Silchenko (check32): Speakit! v0.2.92 был хорош, затем всё хуже и хуже. Убрали поддержку сторонних голосов вообще напрасно. Раньше хоть в 32bit-ной версии нормальные движки поддерживались Теперь стало совсем плохо. Снесу наверное. Буду искать что-то другое.
- (2021-08-24) arm mokh: it's awesome you can change voice in extention option. you can add keyboard shortcut in chrome://extensions/shortcuts for it then just highlight words and then press your keyboard shortcut then extension will read it
- (2021-07-24) Gerardo DZ: Desearia que tuviera mas voces, pero en general me encanta, me ha facilitado la vida, y adoro poder tenerlo
- (2021-07-23) Chonita Foster: i love it but hate the fact that it constantly stops. Why is it doing this i have to constantly uninstall and reinstall it. Its really becoming annoying
- (2021-06-02) Alexander Nikitin: Пытаюсь пользоваться этим расширением много лет. Но постоянные глюки. Хочет читает, хочет нет. Постоянно слетают настройки. Как можно быть таким криворуким? Кофе упился разработчик что-ли?
- (2021-04-15) Negrean Sergiu Aurelian: liar. not romanian!
- (2021-04-10) Red Green: Читает половину предложения, замолкает и всё.
- (2021-04-02) Ruwantha Lankathilaka: No other plugin give natural reading except this one and it is absolutely free
- (2021-03-03) Matthew Bowles: This has been a nice extension until last night. The Google UK English Male voice was very clear and had high quality, but ever since last night, this voice has been very unclear and has low quality. I liked it when it was clear with high quality. A lot of the other voices which used to have high quality now have low quality too.
- (2021-02-19) Aadam Chohan: Worst function ever i downloaded it and it reads as and it and does not read the entire text it will stop whenever it wants to and decide not to read.
- (2021-01-08) Gustavo Doná: Awesome!
- (2020-11-24) Oleg stranger: Спасибо! Очень полезное приложение! У меня на ПК был установлен синтезатор речи от RHVoice с голосами, выбрал голос Anna и пока всё супер, как на ЯБ.
- (2020-11-12) Christophe Cellarier: Bonjour, application très bien, possibilité d'avoir du "Wavenet"... de plus lorsque je choisi la voix Google cela coupe et ne fini jamais de lire texte... Merci pour cette super application.
- (2020-09-12) Mamadou Salane: loveit
- (2020-07-29) Keti Keti: This app is AMAZING! I use it every day. Big thanks to the team behind this app! Fully deserves all its 5 star reviews!
- (2020-07-29) sturm 777: ЧИТАЕТ 6-7 СТРОК, ЗАТЕМ => ТИШИНА !
- (2020-07-21) jennifer keicilvany: designer muito bonito e util o problema é que quando pausa volta do início
- (2020-07-20) Shan Info: Nice product. very helpful and easy to use.
- (2020-07-16) Tani S: I used to love this app and the control of it. However lately it just stops randomly. Not good anymore.
- (2020-07-13) ibrahim ali (Ibrahim): best app in world
- (2020-04-12) Phala Mansa: Fica sendo desativada, a todo o momento, pois o chrome a considera não segura!
- (2017-02-22) Marcos Roberto Ribeiro: Excelente extensão! Extremamente útil para praticar inglês.
- (2017-02-21) Anthony V. Gibby: Voice sounds so natural, I don't use any other app.
- (2017-02-19) mauro gori: Quando funzionerà bene anche la lingua "Google Italiano" sarò lieto di dare 5 stelle
- (2017-02-18) Miles Menuck: Phenominal reader, easy to use, FREE! I'd Recommend getting another voice from IVONA or Neospeech, or another source.
- (2017-02-18) Vampir: Очень полезное приложение
- (2017-02-17) Моя ВЕРА: И что это приложение делает? Читает когда ему вздумается. Из 20 текстов может прочитать один, в лучшем случае. Оценка одна- фуфло!!!!
- (2017-02-17) John Waxler: Good voice. Great extensions. I have tried a couple and like this once the most.
- (2017-02-16) Gerry Hawkins: haven't use it that much however when I did, like reading a disclaimer its awesome!
- (2017-02-14) King Jamzz: mine stop working after like 4 weeks dose anyone know how to make it work again
- (2017-02-12) J T M: muy real
- (2017-02-11) phly95 :: I would like it if the google voices didn't stop, but fortunately, iSpeech seems to work pretty well, despite some flaws avoided by the google TTS. (like iSpeech not handling certain types of apostraphes properly)
- (2017-02-11) Константин Мельников: Спасибо! Пользуюсь им уже года 3
- (2017-02-10) Krzysztof Falkowski: To rozszerzenie przeglądarki jest według mnie super. Polecam!!
- (2017-02-09) Damian Skibitzki: sehr gut
- (2017-02-08) Vasu Neppalli: I'm serious, dont take it off the web store!!
- (2017-02-08) Bipin Sharma: Very useful
- (2017-02-08) Олег Чубаха: Спасибо, это супер !
- (2017-02-08) Will Virella: I love it. Keep up the good work.
- (2017-02-06) Влад Кузнецов: очень удобное приложения спасибо разработчикам .....
- (2022-09-01, v:0.4) Mark Kamoski: How can one make it read faster?
Can it be done?
- (2022-02-23, v:0.4) José Erinaldo: Salvar áudio no computador
No Speaklt é possível salvar o áudio do texto no computador? In Speaklt is it possible to save the audio of the text on the computer?
- (2021-11-12, v:0.4) Сергей Дюмин: A good extension has died
Until today, the extension worked fine, I would even put a 5 plus. But today reading is carried out only for the first 216 characters – why? Besides, the voice has changed. Until today, a pleasant and clear voice pronounced text of any size. Who is to blame that everything went wrong today? Maybe Google is freaking out? If so, then I will have to look for another extension, because I need to listen to texts for work. Is it possible to fix the problem, because I really like the old extension? Question from Russia (translated from Russian to English by Yandex translator). Thanks for attention.
- (2021-09-13, v:0.4) Josh Dye: Does not detest native
First TTS I've tried that work with Vivaldi on OpenSUSE tumbleweed A few versions back, you said you added offline support, it does not detect my systems voices. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/native-text-to-speech-tts is the only extention that properly detects them spd-say -L NAME LANGUAGE VARIANT mexican_spanish es-MX none allison-embedded-compact en-US none nathan-embedded-compact en-US none kate-embedded-compact en-GB none
- (2021-09-13, v:0.4) Dietmar Bagwitz: Vorlese Problem
liest nur wenige Zeilen und bricht dann ab.
- (2021-07-06, v:0.4) David Quale: trouble enabling Speakit
Hello, I downloaded Speakit for Chrome but it doesn't seem to operate. When I highlight text and click the icon it says "Buy me a coffee". I did that through Paypal and received a payment confirmation. Is there another step? Hello, David Quale PayPal You donated €1.99 EUR to [email protected] Thank you for using PayPal Donation Details Date: July 5, 2021 Transaction ID: 80U56008MB2224143 Purpose: SpeakIt! - Text To Speech for Chrome Donation to: [email protected] Donation from: [email protected] Donation amount: €1.99 EUR
- (2021-03-19, v:0.4) Connie Fox: Read the whole page
Is there a way to just have it read the whole page without having to highlight the text? Thanks!
- (2021-02-13, v:0.4) Andi Munn: cut out
I have been using this app for about 2 months now. I enjoy the fact that it sounds much more human like than most other apps that I have used. But the down fall is the constant cutting out or stopping after about 30-50 words. Its very difficult to maintain focus with the speaking if it continuous stops in the middle of the highlighted section. Please I hope that this issue can be resolved quickly as other users have stated the same issue repeatedly and nothing still has changed.
- (2021-02-02, v:0.4) Cesar Hui±api Peralta: problema
Apenas puede leer 34 palabras como máximo, no me sirve
- (2020-12-11, v:0.4) Christian de Bellefeuille: Shortcuts not working
Apparently, the shrotcuts that we define in SpeakIt doesn't work. I've seen this on Chrome, and now i'm trying Edge, and the problem is there too. It's a serious turn off... i like this application a lot but having to Select the text, Then go in the upper-right corner to click the SpeakIt icon within a bunch of extenions is just time consuming.
- (2020-11-08, v:0.4) Pawel Por: Shortcuts do not work
Hi, I like your app a lot. Though I found that with most recent version the shortcuts do not work. I use Windows 10 desktop fully updated. When I configure a shortcut e.g. ctrl+alt+f it does not work when a text to read is highlighted. It works well when I use "SpeakIt!" from a context menu on a selected text. It also fully works with one year old version of SpeakIt on the same machine. Best Regards,
- (2020-06-07, v:0.4) Eleonora Gugliotta: aumentare la velocità di lettura
Visto che c'è una limitazione sul testo nella versione di lettura di google italiano, dare almeno la possibilità di velocizzare la voce originale "Speakit!". Spero di essere stata chiara....
- (2017-02-22, v:0.2.997) Ram U: Voice breaks off
Randomly the Text To Speech stops after a few words. Not sure what the issue might be.
- (2017-02-20, v:0.2.997) JOEY CAGLE: question
how to i change the voice
- (2017-02-19, v:0.2.997) mauro gori: SpeakIt voce in italiano
La lettura in "native" legge tutte le frasi evidenziate mentre con la voce "Google Italiano" legge solo alcune parole poi non legge più.
- (2017-02-14, v:0.2.997) Wretched Magus: You added an option to disable reading on some sites
But you didn't add an option to turn that option off. It is very annoying.
- (2017-02-12, v:0.2.997) Neil Kenning: Highlight words as read
Hi, I like your app. Is there an option to show the words being read ie by highlighting the words currently being TTS'd? Cheers N.